• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Mini rant! This has become a big problem with me. I was watching undisputed today with fucking skip Bayless. Okay we know skip basically made his mainstream media and popularity through being a LeBron hater. Day after day on first take of why he isn't good enough and how he fucked up the game last night. Yesterday he did his best to make LeBron James insignificant in why they won the game against the warriors.The problem I have with this is its a narrative that has gotten too much traction. There isn't a better all around player in the league. No one still has the pressure to not only perform but but is held liable everytime their team loses. There is so much more to clutch than hitting a last second shot. I just hate the narrative that James is some person that late in a game oh get it out of his hands or you are gonna lose the game. He called Kyrie Mr 4th quarter and without James the team couldn't even beat the pistons....an "11th" seed team in their conference. We are witnessing an all time great in his prime and I hope more people sit back and watch and enjoy the greatness he exhibits night in and night out, instead of looking for why he isn't good enough.
That's Skip. I'd say post 3rd ring, Lebron has never had less pressure to perform at his level as he does now. Hell even when he plays bad or gets outplayed this season, he's coasting. He's gotten over the hurdle every superstar has had to deal with, though Bron probably had to deal with this shit over a longer period of time than most.
I mean Draymond was taunting and carrying on all game. Shit evens out.
It didn't even out this game at all, but generally yea. That some homer refs there, lets not bullshit it any other way. Saying that, no excuses to Warriors choking a 14 point lead. They got bodied and deserve criticism.
Have you guys seen how Curry was covering his face and not even watching the game during the final Cavs possession where Kyrie hit the game winner?

I think it's pretty crazy and I've never seen a star player (the reining MVP even) not even watch the game while he's on the bench during crunch time/late in the game. Was he shooked or what?
I think he didn't look at the play at all. Kerr has pull this move 2 other times this season. If he keeps doing this ish, I have a feeling Kerr or Curry will be with another team next season. Curry looked like he was trying too hard not to blast the dude in the post interview.

rambis

Banned
That's Skip. I'd say post 3rd ring, Lebron has never had less pressure to perform at his level as he does now. Hell even when he plays bad or gets outplayed this season, he's coasting. He's gotten over the hurdle every superstar has had to deal with, though Bron probably had to deal with this shit over a longer period of time than most.

It didn't even out this game at all, but generally yea. That some homer refs there, lets not bullshit it any other way. Saying that, no excuses to Warriors choking a 14 point lead. They got bodied and deserve criticism.

I think he didn't look at the play at all. Kerr has pull this move 2 other times this season. If he keeps doing this ish, I have a feeling Kerr or Curry will be with another team next season. Curry looked like he was trying too hard not to blast the dude in the post interview.

I think it did. In my eyes Draymond should've been ejected with a T for his superman pose after that one dunk but they swallowed the whistle then and a few other times. I think MJ even pointed out a time where he got a breathe foul to go his way and told him to quit whining after every play. I'm still 50/50 on the KD play.

It sucks that it was for game ending plays but if we're looking at the game overall I think it was fairly even if still bad officiating.

Fjordson

It didn't even out, but when you have a double digit lead in the fourth you can't blame the refs. Shouldn't have been in a position to have to hit a game winner in the first place tbh.

Agree I guess I have to try and ignore it. It is just funny how much resistance he gets from everyone it seems where anyone else we are ready to give them crowns without them proving themselves.
Lebron won't be sufficiently appreciated I think until after he's retired. A little sad that some don't realize they're watching maybe the greatest player ever, but it is what it is.

rambis

Banned
Would love to see what you "didn't even out guys" saw. Maybe two blown whistles on CLE's behalf when GSW players, Green in particular ,getting away with stuff the entire game. Hmmm

Fjordson

Referee discussion is the worst.

Officiating is like ancient gods in mythology. Sometimes it helps you, sometimes it doesn't, but it's completely out of anyone's control. Complaining about it is pointless and won't change anything.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Have you guys seen how Curry was covering his face and not even watching the game during the final Cavs possession where Kyrie hit the game winner?

I think it's pretty crazy and I've never seen a star player (the reining MVP even) not even watch the game while he's on the bench during crunch time/late in the game. Was he shooked or what?

He looked.... Not pleased in his post game interview. Probably a mix of that call by Kerr and playing like shit against the Cavs once again.

rambis

Banned
Referee discussion is the worst.

Officiating is like ancient gods in mythology. Sometimes it helps you, sometimes it doesn't, but it's completely out of anyone's control. Complaining about it is pointless and won't change anything.

I agree. I thought it was inconsistent but not to one side.

I thought Lebron's taunt was obvious but that hadn't necessarily been called the whole game cause I saw KD and DG get away with them after dunks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcWLTFtKPVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doh761htwFk

But then they got RJ for winking at whoever that was.

Fjordson

Well taunts are different than hanging on the rim. Taunts are all up to the referee crew's feelings at the time (aka wildly inconsistent). Hanging on the rim is just hanging on the rim and is supposed to be a technical.

But I really don't care about any of this. I want more hanging on the rim and taunting. People who get off on player discipline are weird.

TTG

People who get off on player discipline are weird.

That's like half of all sports coverage, so not weird, just insufferable. You could ban Green from Cavs games and their fans would still whine about his behavior in the tunnel or whatever. Anyway, the difference between taunting and not is in what direction the player does it in. So RJ winked AT Durant and that's taboo, whereas Durant makes faces at the crowd, Draymond yells at the ceiling, and Curry looks like a clown celebrating a 3 after a garbage game by himself.

edit: Lebron's hanging on the rim shouldn't be a tech because a foul was called, he's not slowing the game up in that case.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I guess Kemp would have gotten suspended nowadays for this

ListerBlister.gif

When Worrell told that story I was like, are you kidding me? That much of a turnaround, huh.

More power to him to get better at free throws, I guess. LOL

He went from under 50% in Louisville, switched it up, became around a 56% shooter, and has been an 87.5% shooter in the D-league.

His D-League numbers are pretty notably under what Capela's and Harrell's were, and he seemed a little slow on the court, so he's pretty solidly 3rd or 4th in the rotation, but it's good that he still has value to the team, and is still worth it.

Morey is pretty good at getting value for the picks he uses, regardless of where in the draft it is

I agree. I thought it was inconsistent but not to one side.

I thought Lebron's taunt was obvious but that hadn't necessarily been called the whole game cause I saw KD and DG get away with them after dunks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcWLTFtKPVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doh761htwFk

But then they got RJ for winking at whoever that was.
How the fuck are you comparing that with hanging on the rim like Lebron did? Jesus, when stanning goes wrong. Lebron's T I'm totally fine with since they gave a complete garbage T to Jefferson, but not for the awful comparisons you're making. I don't think hanging on rims should even be called, but the league has gone soft/mode for a while now and keeps heading even more than way. Taunts are fun as hell. Refs favored Cavs in that game, and Dray should never have gotten a T in the first place since both his fouls were comical and shouldn't have happened. Warriors did also get some favors as well later on since this was probably the worst officiated match I've seen this year.

Like another guy said, you can't blame refs when you're leading by 14 with 9 to go. As that old Adam Sandler movie states, you blew it. I know some of them are pissed like Draymond, but there's no reason to act like a 2 year old with a tantrum. Give the interview and go cry about it later Dray, no one wants to hear your attitude in the press. No one gives a shit.

I guess Kemp would have gotten suspended nowadays for this

ListerBlister.gif
The league is soft sometimes, it's embarrassing. Things like this are awesome, but we don't see it anymore because of some imaginary image of respect that the league tries to project.

The malice at the palace still has the league shook (and for good reason). That's probably why they are so hypersensitive to taunting and trash talking.

Giannis
Otto Porter
Oladipo
Gobert
Adams
CJ McCollum
Noel

For being an apparently terrible draft class, the 2013 draft class is really starting to get it together and improve

Line_HTX

Well taunts are different than hanging on the rim. Taunts are all up to the referee crew's feelings at the time (aka wildly inconsistent). Hanging on the rim is just hanging on the rim and is supposed to be a technical.

But I really don't care about any of this. I want more hanging on the rim and taunting. People who get off on player discipline are weird.

Need some Lebron McCringleberry after hanging on the rim.

rambis

Banned
How the fuck are you comparing that with hanging on the rim like Lebron did? Jesus, when stanning goes wrong. Lebron's T I'm totally fine with since they gave a complete garbage T to Jefferson, but not for the awful comparisons you're making. I don't think hanging on rims should even be called, but the league has gone soft/mode for a while now and keeps heading even more than way. Taunts are fun as hell. Refs favored Cavs in that game, and Dray should never have gotten a T in the first place since both his fouls were comical and shouldn't have happened. Warriors did also get some favors as well later on since this was probably the worst officiated match I've seen this year.

Like another guy said, you can't blame refs when you're leading by 14 with 9 to go. As that old Adam Sandler movie states, you blew it. I know some of them are pissed like Draymond, but there's no reason to act like a 2 year old with a tantrum. Give the interview and go cry about it later Dray, no one wants to hear your attitude in the press. No one gives a shit.

The league is soft sometimes, it's embarrassing. Things like this are awesome, but we don't see it anymore because of some imaginary image of respect that the league tries to project.

This is confusing, I never said they were the same things. Just both should've warranted technical if the reffing was consistent. But nah Refs didnt "favor" the Cavs at all. I don't know why i'm being called a stan in regards to the Cavs either...

Line_HTX

He went from under 50% in Louisville, switched it up, became around a 56% shooter, and has been an 87.5% shooter in the D-league.

His D-League numbers are pretty notably under what Capela's and Harrell's were, and he seemed a little slow on the court, so he's pretty solidly 3rd or 4th in the rotation, but it's good that he still has value to the team, and is still worth it.

Morey is pretty good at getting value for the picks he uses, regardless of where in the draft it is

Yeah, Morey may be a weird ass GM, but he knows way better value than Rick Smith.

Fjordson

This is confusing, I never said they were the same things. Just both should've warranted technical if the reffing was consistent. But nah Refs didnt "favor" the Cavs at all. I don't know why i'm being called a stan in regards to the Cavs either...
The point was that one is a rule, like stepping out of bounds or a backcourt violation. The others were subjective and will vary greatly from game to game depending on the situation, the officiating crew, the time and score, etc.

Going to stop posting about this now though because referee talk is the worst shit ever.

rambis

Banned
Taunting is a rule as well. Obviously there is more interpretation to a taunt but the point is, if RJ's gesture is enough for a taunt tech then KD 's and DG's after play gestures are as well in a consistently called game.

From the jump I said Lebron's was obvious so I don't know why we're sticking to that one. But yeah this isn't worth talking about now either way.

TTG

Westbrook might get a triple double in the first half.

This year's MVP race is shaping up to be Harden's third seed versus Westbrook's trible doubleness. I wonder what place OKC has to finish in to mitigate that, does the fifth best record in the conference clinch it for YNB? Memphis has a good chance of pushing them to sixth.

This year's MVP race is shaping up to be Harden's third seed versus Westbrook's trible doubleness. I wonder what place OKC has to finish in to mitigate that, does the fifth best record in the conference clinch it for YNB? Memphis has a good chance of pushing them to sixth.

If Westbrook keeps this up until the end of the season he should be the MVP, I don't even care where this team end up.

maladroid

Kevin Durant said:
The refs didn’t lose that game. We lost that game. We could’ve been better. I think it’s bull— that the NBA throws the refs under the bus like that. Things happen to be in our favor, not even in our favor, we don’t get the win, but to say that I got fouled and the tech and all that stuff, just move on. You don’t throw the refs under the bus like that.

The next game, that group of refs, whoever that is, they gonna come out and ref the game, they gonna be tense when they ref the game, they gonna try to get every play right, they gonna try to be perfect, and, you know, without just going out there and relaxing and making the right calls.

You can’t fine us for when we go out there and criticize them, but throw ’em under the bus for a Two Minute Report. What about the first quarter? What about the second quarter? Third quarter? I think it’s bull—. They should get rid of it. The refs don’t deserve that. They trying their hardest to get the plays right, and you look at the play in slow-mo and say that’s it’s wrong. I think it’s bull— that they do that. It’s full of s— that you throw the refs under the bus like that after the game like it matters. The game’s over.
Preach KD, preach.

2 days (and five pages?) later and Warriors fans are still complaining about how it wasn't 'even'. FFS, build a bridge.

So remember that Lebron Halloween party with the Warriors cookies? So on the radio they said he also had a dummy dressed in a Curry jersey laying on the ground. Guests had to walk over it at the entrance to the party, atleast according to the radio haha

Line_HTX

Good riddance, we don't have to see your dirty play ever again this season, Mavericks.

I'm glad that Andrew Bogut got a Flagrant 1 for smacking Harden in the face and almost concussing him.

Shame that the refs called a tech on Harden for no reason later on.

Preach KD, preach.

2 days (and five pages?) later and Warriors fans are still complaining about how it wasn't 'even'. FFS, build a bridge.
Anyone actually saying that's why the Warriors lost? Let me see them receipts.
Why is the MVP of the league on the bench in the biggest moment of a game?
giphy.gif

Also anyone want to tell me how Jefferson can jump 12 feet in the air? He's 36.

Top Bottom