• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Watched the Wolves last night. Not sure if that's the case on every game, but last night at least that was not just a young team struggling to play together, that's a poorly coached team that doesn't execute. The body language on the players was also awful, that team is such a disappointment.

Meanwhile, Jazz is not dead.

Watched the Wolves last night. Not sure if that's the case on every game, but last night at least that was not just a young team struggling to play together, that's a poorly coached team that doesn't execute. The body language on the players was also awful, that team is such a disappointment.

Meanwhile, Jazz is not dead.

Thibs is the greatest defensive coordinator of all time. He just doesn't have the makings of a great coach. I don't know what it is, but he is more of a media darling than anything. He is the polar opposite of Alvin Gentry

Thibs is the greatest defensive coordinator of all time. He just doesn't have the makings of a great coach. I don't know what it is, but he is more of a media darling than anything. He is the polar opposite of Alvin Gentry

He had a very good thing going in Chicago, but that was some awful inexcusable borderline Vinny Del Negro coaching I saw last night. Not sure if he's not getting through with guys and is just sort of not giving a fuck and mailing it in, but I don't think youth is the only reason why the Wolves aren't winning.

Surfinn

Got a chance to watch the warriors game last night.. Yikes. Talk about one you want to forget. In all of my years watching basketball, I don't think I've ever seen such a good team fail to take advantage of so many opportunities to win a basketball game. That was insane to watch.

NMN7KBf.jpg

Lool NBA league pass pls

Jarate

Banned
Jahlil regressed tremendously last year from an offensive perspective, and Noel has become a better scorer and shooter then him over the year.

We're now 3-1 in our last 4 with our only loss coming against Boston in a game we were up by 14 in. The Celtics won only by 2 despite shooting 47% from 3. Noel and Embiid at center for 48 minutes every night is absurd interior defense. We are like 3-1 when we just dont play Okafor.

Jahlil has played himself to the bench, and has played himself to basically be worth very little. He was playing worse then Richaun Holmes this year

As one of Okafors biggest defenders on the internet (seriously, Sixers fans hate him) he's done. Love the kid, but you need to learn basic basketball skills.

Marz

Yea Okafor needs the ball in his hands and he needs playing time. You can develop defense and bbiq comes with experience.

Yea Okafor needs the ball in his hands and he needs playing time. You can develop defense and bbiq comes with experience.

He is probably never going to not be a shitty defender and rebounder. Not everybody can just magically develop defense, and someone who is as bad as he is probably projects to always be one.

Okafor's problem is that his game is outdated. Teams are not looking to build around guys like him. Guys like Al Jefferson or Enes Kanter have been readily available for the last few offseasons. He is a shit defender, a shit rebounder, can't protect the paint, and has no range. Go look at the best teams in the league and see how many players (especially in the frontcourt) on those squads with those kinds of skillsets get major playing time? The one thing he does well, scoring with his back to the basket, is inefficient and no longer in vogue. A team like the Warriors or Rockets will tell you that in the time it takes for Okafor to get in position, get the ball, back his man down and take a shot that has maybe a 50% chance of resulting in 2 points, they could have taken 3 three pointers and made at least one.

Surfinn

Come on Kings. Tell me they can steal one at home against the Warriors after that crazy loss.

Or the Warriors are gunna score like 140 points in retaliation.

Jahlil regressed tremendously last year from an offensive perspective, and Noel has become a better scorer and shooter then him over the year.

We're now 3-1 in our last 4 with our only loss coming against Boston in a game we were up by 14 in. The Celtics won only by 2 despite shooting 47% from 3. Noel and Embiid at center for 48 minutes every night is absurd interior defense. We are like 3-1 when we just dont play Okafor.

Jahlil has played himself to the bench, and has played himself to basically be worth very little. He was playing worse then Richaun Holmes this year

As one of Okafors biggest defenders on the internet (seriously, Sixers fans hate him) he's done. Love the kid, but you need to learn basic basketball skills.

Okafor needs the Bennet treatment:
http://thebrooklyngame.com/reclamation-anthony-bennett/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...ennett-embracing-challenge-fighting-nba-life/

A team that is willing to work with him, focus on developing him, that isn't actually that hurt of he turns out bad or plays bad but will work with him off to the side. Lose the spotlight, maybe even send him to the d-league (which gets looked down on way too much) etc.

If nothing else, I see no reason for this much doom and gloom, many of okafor's more pessimistic comparisons, like Monroe and kanter, produce for them teams off the bench. He'll, iirc, Monroe's defense has been alot better this year. I see no reason why okafor couldn't be a leading 6th man in the NBA.

Playing him less is fine, but more for playing him in limited minutes and working up than for never playing him again. Similar to what happens with most other young talent with less of a spotlight

Based on what happened with RoCo the other day, I'd oubt Philly is helping either.

17points, 7 rebs, a block, and a couple assist. Shit if that's not good enough for a team from a rookie or second year player I guess it is what it is. No assistant coaching and not taking into account about team personnel. Usage rates and the amount of points assisted on. All things make the overall player. Anyway I just want to see the kid get a chance. Hopefully someone feels he needs one.

Those stats don't exist in a vacuum. Jahlil's style of play detracts from the development of the rest of the team, because he is so bad at everything other than post up scoring. While you are forcing him the ball down low to "develop" him, the other young players on that team are standing around looking. If he was a better passer, or had more range, or played good D, or protected the rim, you might have other options, but he sucks ass at those things.

17points, 7 rebs, a block, and a couple assist. Shit if that's not good enough for a team from a rookie or second year player I guess it is what it is. No assistant coaching and not taking into account about team personnel. Usage rates and the amount of points assisted on. All things make the overall player. Anyway I just want to see the kid get a chance. Hopefully someone feels he needs one.

Same here, he got a pretty raw deal. Play for the 76ers in their worst year, with some really terrible talent, be their best player, and then next year when the team starts to form a young core of promising and developing players, get benched.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NBA_draft

Tbh, it feels like a decent amount of the 2015 class has had a tougher sophomore year, and it doesn't help that that class has so many good names on there. Okafor probably reminds me most of mudiay, who is really raw and flawed but could still develop into a starter

Same here, he got a pretty raw deal. Play for the 76ers in their worst year, with some really terrible talent, be their best player, and then next year when the team starts to form a young core of promising and developing players, get benched.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NBA_draft

Tbh, it feels like a decent amount of the 2015 class has had a tougher sophomore year, and it doesn't help that that class has so many good names on there. Okafor probably reminds me most of mudiay, who is really raw and flawed but could still develop into a starter

Okafor is not raw at all though. He's really polished at the thing he's good at, and he doesn't have the athleticism or agility to develop much in the aspects of his game that suck.

I agree it sucks and weighs on players more than people think. High draft pick solid numbers despite being on a crap team that has a losing atmosphere. Anyway he just needs a chance. He is better than what we saw and he is a starter in my book.

Is your book titled "How To Build a Mediocre Fringe Playoff Team"

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
HARGOD AND MY ROCKETS just wow 30 & 9

Also Trez is a beast, wish he didnt have to play center and could learn to rebound, but that inside game is strong.

Am I in a parallel universe where the egregious 2002 WCF fix didn't happen or are the Kings beating the Warriors by 14 points right now?

TTG

I've seen his game and it's solid.

Shit talking one of your key assets won't generate trade value...

Yea, wouldn't want all of the GMs reading this thread to overhear.

Speaking of which, how about that Cousins for Zaza and McCaw talk? Kings get an all star starter and a promising first round pick, hard to pass up I think!

OldMan

Banned
Yea, wouldn't want all of the GMs reading this thread to overhear.

Speaking of which, how about that Cousins for Zaza and McCaw talk? Kings get an all star starter and a promising first round pick, hard to pass up I think!
How dare you underestimate GAF>:{}

Well inside game isn't valued anymore. He can't rebound there is no teaching that. He has no value to the bench... is that how it's done right?

Inside game is valued, if you are talking about guys that can protect the rim and score effectively around the basket. If you mean guys who take up 15 seconds of the shot clock bullying their way into position and dribbling their man down, then no, that's not valued because it's not very efficient. It's like being an NFL running back that averages 3.5 yards per carry. 20 years ago you might have been seen as a "workhorse back" who can run the ball 25 times a game (see Eddie George), but over time the smart teams discovered that it's far more efficient and effective to throw the ball 40 times a game.

TTG

Bron Bron's gonna get that sixth ring for sure in a couple seasons.

But will he ever put a coherent tweet together?

Kings imploded.

Signed up for league pass. Watching the Kings' house feed. It's Bollywood night.

Yes, now you can enjoy the Red Panda, that old tower of chairs guy, and a cornucopia of the most awkward crowd shots. I'm not being sarcastic, it's really good television.

Top Bottom