• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Cheebo

Banned
No they wouldn't

Giannis is great but you are insanely high on him

This is not a GAF thing. There is literally not one single person in any single NBA front office who would claim Gobert is a better pick than Giannis.

Not one single one.

Bread

Banned
This is not a GAF thing. There is literally not one single person in any single NBA front office who would claim Gobert is a better pick than Giannis.

Not one single one. He is the undisputed future of league. No one in the league will question that at this point.
Sorry I didn't know I wasn't allowed to prefer an elite rim protector in a league lacking good post defense to Giannis. Please forgive me.

MikeRahl

Sorry I didn't know I wasn't allowed to prefer an elite rim protector in a league lacking good post defense to Giannis. Please forgive me.

To be fair you need that back to the basket Rim protection when Marc Gasol or Anthony Davis or .... [help?] come to town so that is an important piece.

Cheebo

Banned

Gobert is a great player, but Giannis is the next face of the league Michael Jordan/Kobe Byrant/Lebron James/Kevin Durant level superstar player. Huge difference.

Utah without question if allowed to draft again would pick Giannis, as would every team who picked 1-14.

Bread

Banned
Gobert is a great player, but Giannis is the next face of the league Michael Jordan/Kobe Byrant/Lebron James/Kevin Durant level superstar player. Huge difference.
Yeah you keep saying this, I don't agree. If I thought that too then obviously I wouldn't prefer Gobert.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah you keep saying this, I don't agree. If I thought that too then obviously I wouldn't prefer Gobert.

I mean it isn't me saying this. Every year GM's do a poll before the beginning of the season. When asked what player they would build a team around if they could have any player it was not Lebron. Not Steph. Not KD. The leagues GMs overwhelmingly picked Giannis.

It is pretty much the established view in the entire league that Giannis is the brightest star and future of the league.

My point isn't what you think, it is that you dismissed that every team would have picked him if they could redo the draft. There isn't a single GM who wouldn't die to to have him. It's beyond absurd to say otherwise. You can think they are all wrong that is fine, but there is NO question not a single team would pick Gobert over Giannis if given the choice today.

Jarate

Banned
I think you guys overrate Giannis a little bit. He still has a skill that he's not that good at that he really needs to improve in.

I think he can progress into a guy who can lead a team.to a chip, but he definitely isn't there yet.

Rudy Gobert is an invaluable piece to a good team, since he's one of the best rim protectors in the game right now, but he won't be anything more then a really good role player. Giannis can be the guy on a championship team.

MikeRahl

Lol yeah rim protectors are only useful against big men, you're totally right.

He is Elite defensively when he is 5 feet and closer to the rim for sure. As the mid-range shot fades and he gets dragged further and further to the perimeter there's not going to be much reason for him to be within 5 feet of the rim.

I'd be interested in seeing what those stats look like vs each opponent but it looks like NBA only has stats for the season.

Bread

Banned
I mean it isn't me saying this. Every year GM's do a poll before the beginning of the season. When asked what player they would build a team around if they could have any player it was not Lebron. Not Steph. Not KD. The leagues GMs overwhelmingly picked Giannis.

It is pretty much the established view in the entire league that Giannis is the brightest star and future of the league.

My point isn't what you think, it is that you dismissed that every team would have picked him if they could redo the draft. There isn't a single GM who wouldn't die to to have him. It's beyond absurd to say otherwise.
http://www.nba.com/gmsurvey/2016
This survey? Doesn't really match up with what you're saying.

Weren't people saying the same exact thing about Anthony Davis and KAT not too long ago too?

Marz

My point isn't what you think, it is that you dismissed that every team would have picked him if they could redo the draft. There isn't a single GM who wouldn't die to to have him. It's beyond absurd to say otherwise. You can think they are all wrong that is fine, but there is NO question not a single team would pick Gobert over Giannis if given the choice today.

I guess we just make up stuff in this thread? Lmao

Hawks no longer shopping Millsap according to Woj. They want to compete in the East.

Huh why?????

So the Hawks make Cavs a better team and then decide to not trade Millsap? Lol what?

I mean, sure, the near future would mean this team makes the playoffs and get bounced in the 2nd at best but if they lock up Millsap for 4-5 years to a near max, what then? They have a lot of contracts coming off the books but what FA are out there? How can they afford it lol.

I'm in a love/hate relationship right now. Don't think this is a good move for the future when Millsap MIGHT walk and we lose another top player for nothing...again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Huh why?????

So the Hawks make Cavs a better team and then decide to not trade Millsap? Lol what?

I mean, sure, the near future would mean this team makes the playoffs and get bounced in the 2nd at best but if they lock up Millsap for 4-5 years to a near max, what then? They have a lot of contracts coming off the books but what FA are out there? How can they afford it lol.

I'm in a love/hate relationship right now. Don't think this is a good move for the future when Millsap MIGHT walk and we lose another top player for nothing...again.

Korver was aging. At least we got something.

Millsap still has another year on his contract.

Plus Korver was taking mins away from the younger guys that we need to see if they are legit or not. No point in having Bemb or Prince on the roster without seeing if they can play.

Getting rid of Millsap means what? A complete rebuild? Hawks aren't bad enough to actually get a top 5 draft pick this year or next.

Plus the point of getting rid of Sap would be to make sure we got value back. So any player(s) Hawks got back in theory would be guys that would get mins.

Getting scrubs back that are never gonna play wouldn't really be any different than letting Sap walk. Plus getting decent value players back means we again wouldn't suck enough roster wise to get a top 5 pick.

Korver can work for the Cavs cause the rest of their squad is good so they can deal with his deficiency at his age while taking on his open 3s. For the Hawks he was too much dead weight to keep starting even if he can still stroke it when wide open.

Millsap is going to opt out after this year (he should, he can and will get paid somewhere.

I understand the Korver trade completely and just trading Millsap for the hell of it is a bad look as well. But now they're saying Dunleavy will have a role so what happens to the rookies now lol.

I guess what I don't understand is what will the summer bring. We have 9 or so contracts expiring. Everybody has to get paid. THJ is restricted but I don't see the Hawks matching a very lucrative offer. I see 11-12m max. Muscala is going to get paid more than the scraps he's getting now. How much will they pay for him? Millsap at 33 for 5/180? Ugh, JOe Johnson 2.0 imo.

i guess I have to be even more patient with being an ATL sports fans.

Marz

No team in the East is beating Lebron and co. while he still hasnt declined. Maybe in 3-4 years but by that time Kyrie will be in his prime and Lebron can slip into a secondary role.

So honestly GMs in the East need to just look at whether or not they value getting to the Eastern Conference Finals and losing for a couple years like the Raptors will in order to give the fanbase a false sense of hope and a somewhat exciting product to watch...or they need to think longterm.

theapg

Is Gobert even that much better of a rim defender than Giannis? 2.8 BP36 vs 2.1 BP36 and last I saw, it was like 42% and 45% fg% for shots defended at the rim.

Ainge should get Whiteside

then we won't have to see a Cavs vs Warriors part 3 due to Whiteside the god destroying Thompson and Thomas destroying LeBron ;)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
According to sources Rose and Horny had "Huge blowout" after the pacers game and all will be clear soon.

Whatever that means.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Rose should just go and play with Marbury.

Top Bottom