• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

And you also see a dumb move like not using your workhorse (Marshawn lynch) but let's throw the pretty pass and whoops interception cost a second super bowl ring.

A single instance doesn't discount the overall strategy. I mean you can deny all you want about Okafor but the league has sort of spoken on players like him, or Al Jefferson, or Brook Lopez, or Enes Kanter...teams aren't exactly jumping through hoops to get those kinds of players...that should tell you something.

Surfinn

Kings imploded.

Signed up for league pass. Watching the Kings' house feed. It's Bollywood night.

I've seen every single Kings game this season. This is nothing new unfortunately. They've collapsed in the last like 3 or 4 games. Cousins gets one fucking call he didn't like and shuts down.

TTG

A single instance doesn't discount the overall strategy. I mean you can deny all you want about Okafor but the league has sort of spoken on players like him, or Al Jefferson, or Brook Lopez, or Enes Kanter...teams aren't exactly jumping through hoops to get those kinds of players...that should tell you something.

I don't think there's anything inherently worse about a traditional big's iso post up than any other kind of iso. Actually, they're better than what Spurs run with Aldridge and Leonard. It's just that players you list are not as good as those two and are deficient in other areas of the game besides.

Jarate

Banned
I think people overstate him being generations behind. A team like the Celtics who run a very half court centric game could use a guy like him, and the spurs currently have two bad defensive bigs in Aldridge and Gasol (although they have better midrange games obviously) and they win a lot

Okafor is actually a good 1 on 1 defender. He sucks on the pick and roll which is essentially what every offense in the league plays. A team with a guard who can go through screens well would make Okafors life much easier, but we don't have that guy on our team.

Okafor is a really good iso player too, which becomes helpful in the playoffs when teams give 100%on defense

I don't think there's anything inherently worse about a traditional big's iso post up than any other kind of iso. Actually, they're better than what Spurs run with Aldridge and Leonard. It's just that players you list are not as good as those two and are deficient in other areas of the game besides.

There isn't if they can pass. Jahlil Okafor hasn't shown a remote ability to pass or playmake. A traditional back to the basket who lumbers and can't pass or create shots for others is just as bad as a backcourt player (think Derrick Rose) who dribbles around like an idiot and can't pass or create shots for others, of that you are correct.

vpcWhoy.png

Mmmmm gimme baby Russ!

gutshot

Some of you all are acting like the Sixers haven't given Jah a chance this year. Yet he's played more minutes than Embiid! The thing is, the team gets demonstrably worse whenever he is on the floor. I mean, just look at this shit.

Over the past 4 games, Brett Brown has decided to give Noel more of a run and Jah has only played 10 mins. During that time, the Sixers have been the sixth best defensive team in the league and have won 3 games (with the fourth game being one they prob should have won). That's enough evidence for me to say that Okafor just shouldn't be on this team.

Now maybe there is a team out there that is better constructed to take advantage of his strengths and hide his weaknesses. But that team is clearly not the Sixers.

Servbot24

Banned
8-5 seeds in the West are basically insta-death (though Grizzlies could get an upset), while in the East basically all seeds aside from 8 at least have a shot.

Cheebo

Banned
2013 was a terrible, terrible draft
Giannis Antetokounmpo. Aka the future best player in the NBA.

Also the draft had some other solid players:
Victor Oladipo
Rudy Gobert
C.J. McCollum
Steven Adams
Otto Porter
Cody Zeller
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Dennis Schröder
Mason Plumlee
Kelly Olynyk

MikeRahl

Giannis Antetokounmpo. Aka the future best player in the NBA.

Also the draft had some other solid players:
Victor Oladipo
Rudy Gobert
C.J. McCollum
Steven Adams
Otto Porter
Cody Zeller
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Dennis Schröder
Mason Plumlee
Kelly Olynyk

There are some quality players but it was a terrible year to have the first overall pick.

Obviously now in a re-draft you would take Giannis first overall, but he was a reach at 15 when he came out.

Pretty much anyone who was ranked top 7 would be in discussion as a terrible first overall pick.

Noel was down because of his knee, and the Cavs weren't going to take a guard because they got Kyrie the year before.

Cheebo

Banned
I'd take Rudy Gobert over Giannis right now

#I'mSorryI'mNotSorry

You are the only single person in the world who would do so. Rudy Gobert wouldn't even take himself over Giannis.

Giannis is the next face of the league superstar in the vein of Magic, Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron. He is what people thought Anthony Davis was supposed to be.

MikeRahl

Silver lining of Bennett at #1 is at least you aren't going to lose sleep over not getting Oladipo or Otto Porter, and he was a key component of the Love trade.

Portland got 1800 minutes of Greg Oden over Kevin Durant.

Silver lining of Bennett at #1 is at least you aren't going to lose sleep over not getting Oladipo or Otto Porter, and he was a key component of the Love trade.

Portland got 1800 minutes of Greg Oden over Kevin Durant.

pure filler != key component. That deal would have happened regardless of Bennett. Wiggins was the key.

Big for the Baby Lakers to get a W in a game where Nick and Lou didn't play well. D'Lo had 17/8/7, Julius with 19/9 and Ingram with 17 points and 2 threes in the 4th to close it out.

Also WTF is Orlando doing with Aaron Gordon?

You are the only single person in the world who would do so. Rudy Gobert wouldn't even take himself over Giannis.

Giannis is the next face of the league superstar in the vein of Magic, Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron. He is what people thought Anthony Davis was supposed to be.

Davis is already at that level. I definitely do think that giannis and as we're the first two to get past that potential level to actual star level, but let's not somehow insinuate that AD isn't already in the 2nd or 3rd highest tier of players already.

His range and shooting needs to improve dramatically to get there but generally I'd agree. Rudy is a fantastic, valuable young player, but Giannis is potentially transcendent.

I'd take Rudy Gobert over Giannis right now

#I'mSorryI'mNotSorry
You're not sorry for making a fucking atrocious mistake? Your post is so bad, you should legitimately get banned from this topic for 6 months. You deserve that L for already being in contention by making one of the worst posts in 2017 on gaf.

Cheebo

Banned
Davis is already at that level. I definitely do think that giannis and as we're the first two to get past that potential level to actual star level, but let's not somehow insinuate that AD isn't already in the 2nd or 3rd highest tier of players already.
Davis is amazing, don't get me wrong.

Davis's problem is injuries. Until he has at least 1 entire season without going down for an extended period of time his potential just isn't the same level as Giannis.

Servbot24

Banned
AD is never gonna get his as long as he's in an era where LBJ and KD are on winning teams. And by the time they're gone or declining, Giannis is going to leapfrog him.

Cheebo

Banned
AD is also is on a team stuck in mediocrity with no path forward in which he just signed a big contract with last year.

Cheebo

Banned
You need to take it down a notch bruh

Every single GM in the league would be willing to cut off a toe if it meant they could have Giannis in the 2013 draft. Including Utah. Utah's GM would assume you had a mental breakdown for suggesting they picked better by taking Gobert over Giannis.

Hell most teams would take Giannis over Steph, KD, or Lebron to build a team around.

Bread

Banned
Every single GM in the league would be willing to cut off a toe if it meant they could have Giannis in the 2013 draft. Including Utah.

Hell most teams would take Giannis over Steph, KD, or Lebron to build a team around.
No they wouldn't

Giannis is great but you are insanely high on him

Top Bottom