• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Jarate

Banned
The Sixers are now 7-2 in their last 9, including wins over the Raptors, Bucks, and Hornets in the last week.

One of the losses Embiid didnt play

Sam Hinkie was a genius. Whoever gets him next will have one of the best GM's in the league

Jarate

Banned
Also, we're going to need some thread titles for when Simmons comes back...

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| Trust the Process

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
30 million for 1/13 shooting..

Celtics lost to the Knicks. Pretty much worse right now..

Oh absolutely worse. But to mention that 30 million dollar man getting bullied on the glass and 0 run protection. But hey this is the same NBA that paid Evan Turner 17 million

Edit- seriously though, sixers might be able to make a serious post for that 8th seed if they keep this up.

Oh absolutely worse. But to mention that 30 million dollar man getting bullied on the glass and 0 run protection. But hey this is the same NBA that paid Evan Turner 17 million

Edit- seriously though, sixers might be able to make a serious post for that 8th seed if they keep this up.

Making the playoffs is not part of The Process.

One of the losses Embiid didnt play

Sam Hinkie was a genius. Whoever gets him next will have one of the best GM's in the league

Would be nice if Morey starts producing GM's for other teams from the rockets, same way popovich has made a factory of role players and coaches in the spurs

If Houston could trade for a Howard, Mozilla or one of Phillys boys they could solve some serious problems

What?

Those would all be terrible fits. What are you talking about?

I mean, I wouldn't say no to Embiid, and Noel fits decently, but Embiid would mean switching up our system and Noel is injury prone.

We had offered a Beverley + Dekker trade for Noel in the off season apparently. Glad I didn't happen, losing Beverley would've hurt us a ton.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Convincing teams to be historically the worst tor multiple years is a harder sell than you think.

It just makes too much sense though. Again I thought Danny botched the tank in the embiid draft. They held onto rondo and green for reasons unknown. They lucked out on crowder in the toss in, but ultimately his value had dropped by then. Embiid Parker or Wiggins could've happened, but they wanted those random wins I guess. Said this before too.... We almost went all in on mediocre (straight up bad at the moment) justise Winslow, when we could've had him with our pick had they not cared about that completely meaningless 8th seed in the historically bad east.

Convincing teams to be historically the worst tor multiple years is a harder sell than you think.

I don't think Hinkie would've necessarily gone that route had Philly had more to offer to begin with. I could easily see him following a path closer to the rockets or bucks, either gradually trading and trading and trading picks that eventually get them a star, and getting picks like giannis or Kawhi.

Problem is, you need a decent base to work off of. Rockets 2010 through 2012 still had a lot of key pieces of their 2008-2009 runs, which had a bunch of great role players. Spurs always manage to create successful role players, which probably has alot to do with their established players already there.

Then again, iirc rockets only didn't tank because Les refused to let Morey do it

In all honesty was what Hinkie did actually that impressive? He tanked and took the obvious best value in the draft each time. He never really made a team, just a collection of assets. I get that he was fired before the job was done but still.

You would think... But embiid seems to have plans if his own.

Embiid is the process, so what he says goes.

Edit:
In all honesty was what Hinkie did actually that impressive? He tanked and took the obvious best value in the draft each time. He never really made a team, just a collection of assets. I get that he was fired before the job was done but still.

He got us into the position to draft guys like Embiid, Simmons, Saric as well as pull of the heist of the century which was getting Stauskas, picks, and swap rights from the Kings for basically nothing for starters. He wasn't perfect but he was a great trader. Converted Jrue Holiday for Noel and sold MCW high for a Lakers 1st rounder still in waiting.

OldMan

Banned
What?

Those would all be terrible fits. What are you talking about?

I mean, I wouldn't say no to Embiid, and Noel fits decently, but Embiid would mean switching up our system and Noel is injury prone.

We had offered a Beverley + Dekker trade for Noel in the off season apparently. Glad I didn't happen, losing Beverley would've hurt us a ton.
Nobodies going to change the rockets game, they beat the best the league has to offer. 7 game series they won't last when we all know they live or die by the 3. Having a strong backbone beyond Nene couldn't hurt...

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
So Westbrook getting another triple double or Golden State winning by 20pts tonight...

Tom Penny

It just makes too much sense though. Again I thought Danny botched the tank in the embiid draft. They held onto rondo and green for reasons unknown. They lucked out on crowder in the toss in, but ultimately his value had dropped by then. Embiid Parker or Wiggins could've happened, but they wanted those random wins I guess. Said this before too.... We almost went all in on mediocre (straight up bad at the moment) justise Winslow, when we could've had him with our pick had they not cared about that completely meaningless 8th seed in the historically bad east.

There is a very good chance Ainge would have traded the pick for Love but you know those 2% Cavs odds. Nobody will ever know. Now he has the Nets tanking for him.

TTG

That's a facile summation. He fleeced a number of teams in trades, left their cap in excellent shape, and I don't know what's so obvious about an injured Embiid and Saric.

So Westbrook getting another triple double or Golden State winning by 20pts tonight...

I just want them to prey on Westbrook like they did last time.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/hinkie-flow-chart/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/hinkisa99x.html

He got Noel, hired Brett brown, got the sixers 2017 pick back from Orlando along with saric, managed to see MCW falling off and traded him for the Lakers pick, got Nik staukas, who has played well for the 76ers this season.

Plus, iirc he did a bunch of organizational change for the sixers, with their training staff and organization culture and the like. Stuff that, while it might not be immediately apparent, is a big indicator on whether a franchise can be long term successful

Servbot24

Banned
Curry/Klay/Giannis/Durant/Embiid

1408.gif

I'd rather have Green on that roster than Giannis tbh. I don't see any point to Giannis and KD being on the same team.

That's a facile summation. He fleeced a number of teams in trades, left their cap in excellent shape, and I don't know what's so obvious about an injured Embiid and Saric.

He made some solid trades although his biggest ones were when he had an all-star and a ROY to send away. As for Embiid and Saric I think those were clearly the best values available at the time, who else would have made sense in Embiids spot? Aaron Gordon? Lastly, having cap space isn't that impressive when you have an intentionally bad team that was never going to pay anyone.

I don't think he was a bad GM but nothing he did makes me think he was a particularly impressive one.

Nobodies going to change the rockets game, they beat the best the league has to offer. 7 game series they won't last when we all know they live or die by the 3. Having a strong backbone beyond Nene couldn't hurt...

Having a slower big slowing the pace down easily does that, are you kidding? In any case, that's an easy thing to say when our starting center just returned from injury and our starting stretch 4 (sometimes 5 in really shoot heavy limited lineups) is out with the flu.

Capela and Harrell both offer alot as is, and the main issue I have with that combo is that Capela will need to bulk up a little more for the stronger centers in the league. Between the two, we have a defensive rim blocker that gets the easiest alley oops from harden and is springy and quick. Harrell is more undersized, but still has great length and works really well for small ball lineups where his speed and ability to defend along the perimeter and inside becomes really useful. His rebounding is more of an issue, but the whole capela-harrell-Nene, while nothing outstanding, covers the different needs of the rockets with enough flexibility as is

Rockets main problem with defensive rim blocking and struggles when not shooting well because alot easier when Capela is playing. Rockets are even better at getting open looks and easy driver or dunks when they have a 6'11 man that seems to always get the dunk if the team isn't giving the rockets open 3s, and he gives the rockets better spacing than Harrell

Howard would slow us down. Embiid is amazing, and you don't say no to stars, but even now he's a little slower, though not enough to be called plodding or anything. Noel would be perfect for us, but I don't see who we trade, or at least, who id want us to trade. Okafor would be a baaaad fit with these rockets

I guess I'd be fine with a Gobert though XD

He made some solid trades although his biggest ones were when he had an all-star and a ROY to send away. As for Embiid and Saric I think those were clearly the best values available at the time, who else would have made sense in Embiids spot? Aaron Gordon? Lastly, having cap space isn't that impressive when you have an intentionally bad team that was never going to pay anyone.

I don't think he was a bad GM but nothing he did makes me think he was a particularly impressive one.

You forget how he got saric. He got saric and the 2017 first round sixers pick for Elfrid payton.

Hinkie got fired as a scapegoat.

He's definitely a good GM.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.libe...former-gm-sam-hinkie?client=ms-android-google

Yup

Jarate

Banned

Sixers before Hinkie

Spencer Hawes
Thad Young
Evan Turner
Jrue Holiday
Nick Young
Lavoy Allen
Jason Richardson
Arnet Moultrie
Kwame Brown

And a whole slew of other really bad players. The Sixers literally had a roster of all backup players on their team, while owing their future 1sts to other teams. Our team was essentially the Nets

Sam Hinkie took the franchise from being one of the bleakest futures in the league to one of the best in 3 years. Remember, we have draft swap rights with the Kings this year, and are still owed the Lakers 1st round pick that's top 3 protected (although, the Lakers are revving up their tank engines right now. They now have a worse record then the Sixers and are 4th in the league)

The nets are in a really similar situation to what the Sixers were in. If you could tell the fans of that franchise that it would only take 3 years to leave that situation, I think they'd take it every day.

Next, he was a masterful trader. His MCW for the Lakers pick is an incredible trade. MCW is literally worthless right now. His take on the salaries of Carl Landry for Nik Stauskas, draft pick swap rights, and a 2019 unprotected 1st was also an incredible trade.

Robert Covington is a top defensive wing in the league right now. While his shooting has been bad this year, his shooting has always been fairly good. TJ McConnel is a surprising young point guard who plays great defense and is a great team leader.

Jerami Grant has been a fairly good success in Oklahoma this year. Dude looks to be a really nice role player.

Nik Stauskas has turned into a somewhat reliable NBA player and has become a decent defensive player.

Those are 4 really good role players all got for basically nothing

On his drafting:

Nerlens Noel is a premier defensive center in the league who will flourish in basically any small ball system. Great PnR player, good enough on defense to guard wings on switches. His offense has also dramatically improved

Michael Carter Williams was the 12th pick in a draft that ended up being really bad for early picks. Some will crucify him for not drafting Gianni's (BTW Gianni's was slow and only 6'9" before the draft, that's why he went so late). This pick was a major success as it netted us the Lakers future pick.

Joel Embiid, do I have to say anything else

Dario Saric, he's had his ups and downs this year Luke any rookie, but he's probably 2nd in ROTY this year. Great effort and great locker room player. Also, shows a knack for making clutch plays.

Jahlil Okafor. Let's assume this was Hinkies pick. (There are rumors online that ownership forced him to take Okafor and that KP was his guy, not assumed unless anything else comes out that verifies it) Jahlil will always be hated in Philly because he's the guy that got Hinkie fired. Okafor will either come to dominate in European Leagues, or he'll learn how to play mediocre to good defense. I really like Okafor and think he can flourish elsewhere. But he got a really bad situation.

We all know Hinkie would've taken Simmons, just like any other sane human being would.

And you wanna know something. Yeah, while the national media hated it, basically every sixers fan I've talked to was fine with the process. Nobody cared about the Sixers with Doug Collins. People were fine with ignoring them for another 3 years, because at the end of the day, they were already being ignored.

Also, it was kind of fun being horrendous for 3 years instead of being mediocre for 10. Ask any diehard Lakers fan right now on this forum if they are horrendously upset about tanking. I'd imagine none of them really are all that mad. It's how you win in Basketball, it's legitimately the best long term solution possible for teams. Hinkie was the most efficient tanker the game has ever seen.

https://streamable.com/t4hya

This rockets team is perfection

Is this a future where Westbrook, CP3, Conley, Harden, Curry, Klay, Lillard and McCollum are all simultaneously suspended for PED use?

Nowhere near now, cmon now.

Let's see, I think CP3 would be much older, Westbrook might be declining due to athleticism focus?, idk man. I mean fringe all star, lower all star, having a standout season and thus chosen sort of year. He's one of the brightest spots for thunder going forward, they struggled when he was out as he was one of the few that could shoot well

https://streamable.com/t4hya

This rockets team is perfection

Nowhere near now, cmon now.

Let's see, I think CP3 would be much older, Westbrook might be declining due to athleticism focus?, idk man. I mean fringe all star, lower all star, having a standout season and thus chosen sort of year. He's one of the brightest spots for thunder going forward, they struggled when he was out as he was one of the few that could shoot well

I'm just saying, the way the guard position is looking in the league it's going to be hard for a guy like Oladipo to sneak in. The league is loaded, both with stars and young guys.

I'm just saying, the way the guard position is looking in the league it's going to be hard for a guy like Oladipo to sneak in. The league is loaded, both with stars and young guys.

Yeah, you're probably right. Both members of blazers backcourt are young, hardens game will age well, curry will continue to be an all star, Booker is probably going to become an all star, and one of lavine or Russel probably will too. He would definitely be a backup, but it could still happen, but it would only be 1 or 2 games

TTG

Oladipo is alright, but his skill set is a lot easier to recreate than Ibaka's.

Awwww, Durant just missed a free throw dunk.

Top Bottom