• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Updated statement from Knicks PR.

C4QDNQtUYAEVHgp.jpg

Bread

Banned
Adrian Peterson (NFL), Alex Morgan (Women's Soccer), Shaun Livingston (you can argue if he's better or not than he was before, i guess), Jammal Crawford and pretty sure that Tom Brady also had an ACL injury. I know that there's a few other basketball players at least from old times that have done it before and came back fine.

Most of what these have in the common is that like Jabari, it happened when they were still youngish so there's no need to just cry about Jabari's career just yet.

EDIT: oh, he's other injury from before was also an ACL? well, damn.

What? UCL is the elbow , why would i confuse it? ...
Because no one comes back stronger after an ACL injury.

Name a player that blew the same knee twice and still was nice. There ain't many, definitely not plenty if any.

There isn't a large sample size, to be honest. From an ESPN article today (on Insider)

It's rare, though not unprecedented, for players to tear the same ACL twice. My research has found just two players before Parker who tore the same ACL twice, both in the NBA: Michael Redd and Danny Manning (who also tore his other ACL in between). But both players suffered their second injury in their 30s, so they're not great comparisons for Parker.

A couple of former NBA players tore the same ACL twice before reaching the league, at a similar age to Parker. Robbie Hummel tore his ACL as he was returning from an ACL injury the previous season at Purdue, sidelining him the entire 2010-11 season. Hummel returned in 2011-12 as a fifth-year senior and was drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the second round of the 2012 draft, playing two years in the NBA before heading overseas. Waived by the Denver Nuggets last fall during training camp, he's currently playing for Khimki Moscow.

The Utah Jazz drafted Raul Lopez with the 24th pick of the 2001 draft only to see him tear his ACL twice playing in his native Spain before he signed with the team. Lopez missed his entire first NBA season and played just two years in the league before returning to Europe, where he played through age 36 before retiring last season.

Unfortunately, the cases of Hummel and Lopez don't add much clarity to Parker's future because it's unclear how their games would have translated to the NBA without the ACL injuries. Hummel was never a top prospect because of his limited quickness, while the 6-foot Lopez might have struggled due to his height either way.

So at this point, I'd default to thinking a second tear of the same ACL is no better or no worse than any other ACL injury. Ironically, Parker himself was one of the best examples of a successful comeback with the way he'd developed into an offensive force two years removed from his first ACL tear. Now he's going to have to do it again, and the Bucks will have to make some difficult choices.

(and the article continues)

That sucks. I guess that gives them a built in excuse to underachieve even more this season.
That should give them an excuse to tank hard.

Or at the very least give Thon more minutes.

Seriously it's frustrating not seeing him play even garbage minutes. The last 2 games were done by the final minutes yet Giannis was still out there and Thon still on the bench.

That should give them an excuse to tank hard.

Or at the very least give Thon more minutes.

Seriously it's frustrating not seeing him play even garbage minutes. The last 2 games were done by the final minutes yet Giannis was still out there and Thon still on the bench.

I agree, Thon has played with a ton of energy with the minutes he has received, and while he's certainly not in the position to start or anything, when your center rotation is such crap anyways, you might want to be giving him minutes so that he can develop

I agree, Thon has played with a ton of energy with the minutes he has received, and while he's certainly not in the position to start or anything, when your center rotation is such crap anyways, you might want to be giving him minutes so that he can develop
He has the same rawness and energy young Giannis had.

Even Kidd isn't stupid enough not to realize this so he occasionally gives him minutes but then when he almost always gets 2 quick fouls due to inexperience he benches him and forgets about him for the rest of the game.

Let him play and figure out the game FFS. You don't have much to lose even if he gets fouled out.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Really really sad that Jabari Parker tore his same surgically repaired ACL. I can't imagine what's going through his head now. Khris Middleton should fill in nicely for the Bucks, but jeez, you just hate to see anybody, athlete or not, go through that. :(

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Poor Parker. I re-tore a repaired ACL and it's devastating. I was just playing pick up ball too. Guy must be crushed.

Really really sad that Jabari Parker tore his same surgically repaired ACL. I can't imagine what's going through his head now. Khris Middleton should fill in nicely for the Bucks, but jeez, you just hate to see anybody, athlete or not, go through that. :(

Midds isn't fully ready yet though, still on time restriction.

He will go really easy especially after what happened to Jabari.

Cipherr

So how do these contracts work? Has Jabari already gotten a lucrative contract or is this shit going to ruin the kid? Im actually looking for info on this now because I really liked watching him play. This fucking sucks.

So how do these contracts work? Has Jabari already gotten a lucrative contract or is this shit going to ruin the kid? Im actually looking for info on this now because I really liked watching him play. This fucking sucks.

He's still on his rookie deal, it's decent money, about $28 million over 5 years including his qualifying offer, but it's nowhere near what he would make with an extension if there were no questions about his health. For example Giannis just signed a 4 year $100 million deal.

Barrage

Hopefully Jabari can pull a Steph, get underpaid his next contract due to health concerns, overperform and then make the max.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's not always THAT bad. Unless it keeps happening.

But some players who suffer an ACL injury also come back stronger than before.

The 2nd tear on the same knee usually is THAT bad unfortunately.

lmao it's definitely not, maybe he was confusing ACL with tommy john?

Is that a thing? I can't think of anyone who was stronger after recovery.

Yes ACL injuries do sometimes lead to somebody being stronger, for instance Adrian Peterson going for 2k after the tear. Braylon Edwards also had a career year after the ACL tear.

There are 2 reasons for this. 1 the aggressive rebuilding of the quadriceps muscle and overall body workouts is on during rehab, and the other is the actual ACL itself is actually physically stronger and can handle more force. That's because the hamstring tendon they use to build the ACL graft is built to handle a stronger force. That being said the percentages of successful full recovery after a 2nd tear on the same knee plummet after a re inury :(. He has a very high likelihood of arthritis or severe meniscus damage.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I could be wrong, but I think a meniscus tear is the one where you hear about people coming back at least as strong or even stronger. Like Westbrook a few years back.

Granted everyone heals differently so there's always exceptions.

It's funny because most people hear meniscus and think it's better than blowing a ligament, and in some ways it is, however a torn ACL can almost always be repaired effectively and get you back out there, a meniscus is much more difficult to keep intact after it tears. Most of the time players opt to a meniscectomy, where they will remove the torn piece. That's a 6 week or so recovery, most of the time faster. Brandon Roy had a bunch of these done, he even had one done during a playoff series and went a night or 2 later (unfortunately his career didn't last). Chris Paul and Dwyane Wade also both got this at an early age. It generally shortens career, and it's not uncommon to see it sap some athleticism as well. Wade has been managing his knee issues for years now, and chris paul according to most lost a step, despite still being top tier. Westbrook initially went with the repair, but unfortunately the repair wouldn't hold up and he opted to have it removed. Depending on the size and location of the tear results will vary, but one thing that's always guaranteed with a loss of some or all of your meniscus is early onset arthritis.

edit- similar injury to Rose was the meniscus tear AFTER the ACL tear. He opted to have it repaired as well, but it didn't hold up for him either and had the meniscectomy.

edit edit- for further info on that as well, anytime I hear about meniscus tears, or knee scopes I tend to lose interest in any of my teams pursuing them. They're done all the time tbh, but for 1 scopes are most placebo to clean up rough and torn up cartilage (which never can be repaired), and for meniscus tears you tend to see the player lose it earlier than you would hope. That's why I'm even lower on Okafor outside of just the eye test. That tear for a big man is bad news.

Updated statement from Knicks PR.

C4QDNQtUYAEVHgp.jpg

I listened to Oakley's interview with SAS and I ride with Oak on this one. Oak said he did nothing wrong to get ejected and gave a pretty clear account of what happened where the Knicks have been incredibly vague.

On Inside Kenny said well let's see the footage, there's a million cameras in the place so let's see the footage of what Charles Oakley said.

Sanjuro

I listened to Oakley's interview with SAS and I ride with Oak on this one. Oak said he did nothing wrong to get ejected and gave a pretty clear account of what happened where the Knicks have been incredibly vague.

On Inside Kenny said well let's see the footage, there's a million cameras in the place so let's see the footage of what Charles Oakley said.

I feel like it's hard to side with anyone. This entire situation is just embarrassing all around.

As a spectator? It's just too entertaining.

FZZ

Banned
Reddit dumb sometimes

LeBron gets hit on the foot, one replay doesn't show that and one of the top posts is about him flopping

Lmao

I feel like it's hard to side with anyone. This entire situation is just embarrassing all around.

As a spectator? It's just too entertaining.

I agree, it is entertaining but it's also sad as well. The man is a fucking legend in that place and for most NBA fans. Instead of having a spot light shine on him during a time out break saying "Let's give a warm welcome to Charles Oakley", you got 7-8 security goons dragging him from the stands.

I mean ya, Oakley got a bit physical. But let's be honest, the only injuries those security guards received was a bruised ego.

edit: Also Oak even said that if they had only sent one person that he would have left quietly but he felt it was cowardly that they sent 8-9 people.

Top Bottom