• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

B4e5UJc.png

random25

Yep, this is very true. Z-Bo was much maligned during his Portland/NY days and look what happens in Memphis. Same thing will happen with Boogie and the Kings will still be terrible.

I'll credit that more to Memphis than to ZBo. Seems like the Grizz know how to tame headcases.

You know, it makes sense that Vlade would do this trade, considering he was part of one of the dumbest trades ever in which the Hornets traded Kobe for him.

Isn't the rumors surrounding that time was that Kobe won't play for any other team that drafted him unless it's the Lakers? Kobe recently denies that but there were already quotes being said by Kobe's agent long ago that he will only play for the Lakers.

To Sac Kings defense, the owner was getting tired of Boogie and refused to give him a long term deal....So getting rid of him and the headache and try again rebuilding ...They already got a nice replacement in Cauley Steins ...So just tank the rest of the season and try to get one of those two ballers in Lonzo Ball or Markelle Fultz ...What they need too do tho is get rid of the GM Divac ...He fucking terrible

They can't tank, their first rounder will go to Philly, because they gave it away in a salary dump in order to sign Wes Matthews, who then proceeded to reject the Kings and sign with Dallas. Adam Silver needs to do something.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Buddy Hield is and always will be garbage, his ceiling is a streaky scorer off the bench. Can't believe this, Danny could've put something together much better than this. Wonder what the hold up was... probably the attitude problems and they likely wanted jaylen on top of picks.

Either way I'm very interested to see how AD and Cousins mesh. Should be fun to watch nonetheless.

Buddy Hield is and always will be garbage, his ceiling is a streaky scorer off the bench. Can't believe this, Danny could've put something together much better than this. Wonder what the hold up was... probably the attitude problems and they likely wanted jaylen on top of picks.

Either way I'm very interested to see how AD and Cousins mesh. Should be fun to watch nonetheless.

People seem to be hearing that A) Vlade fucking loves Buddy Hield for some reason and B) Ainge and Stevens weren't all that hot on DMC.

People seem to be hearing that A) Vlade fucking loves Buddy Hield for some reason and B) Ainge and Stevens weren't all that hot on DMC.

There's also talk that Boston is all in on Butler and think they can get him, so they didn't want to divert attention to DMC.

random25

The one thing I'm surprised is the lack of involvement of the Wizards in this trade fiasco. Boogie seems to really want to be reunited with Wall and with them really pushing for a good seeding in the East, that would really help them become true contenders.

The one thing I'm surprised is the lack of involvement of the Wizards in this trade fiasco. Boogie seems to really want to be reunited with Wall and with them really pushing for a good seeding in the East, that would really help them become true contenders.

They don't have a lot of assets, though then again Kelly Oubre and a first isn't that far off from Buddy Hield and a first. In fact, Kelly Oubre is probably better than Hield.

Hey man, John Wall is welcome in NOLA.

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/833562297511591938

@HPbasketball

Don’t mind me, just sliding on over to check when John Wall’s got an opt out

random25

They don't have a lot of assets, though then again Kelly Oubre and a first isn't that far off from Buddy Hield and a first. In fact, Kelly Oubre is probably better than Hield.

Considering what the Kings got, I believe they can get an objectively better deal to offer the Kings. But then again, Hield seems to be the true spice that made the Kings salivate for some reason.

John Wall loves his buddy Bradley Beal. He's not leaving anytime soon.

Boogs31

What the hell are the Celtics doing? Isn't the whole goal of stockpiling assets to eventually turn them into something? Based on what Sacramento accepted for Boogie they could of given up their own first round pick in 2018 as well as the protected first round picks they own from Memphis and the Clippers in 2019 with a few rotation players like Zeller, Jerebko, and Brown and gotten him. That's a lot better offer than the Kings got. They then could of used the Nets picks, Johnson and Young to get Butler. Their rotation could have been Thomas, Bradley, Butler, Horford, and Cousins with Crowder, Smart, Olynyk and Rozier off the bench. Why on earth would you pass on that opportunity.

Tom Penny

And for everyone calling Boogie such a cancer and loser. He was winning with Mike Malone, remember? Then he got hurt, lost a bunch, then they fired Malone for stupid reasons.

Blaming all the losing on DMC is a dumb opinion.

Cousins has had teams with more talent than the Rockets and OKC's one man shows and hasn't won shit his entire career. Coincidence? Maybe.

What the hell are the Celtics doing? Isn't the whole goal of stockpiling assets to eventually turn them into something? Based on what Sacramento accepted for Boogie they could of given up their own first round pick in 2018 as well as the protected first round picks they own from Memphis and the Clippers in 2019 with a few rotation players like Zeller, Jerebko, and Brown and gotten him. That's a lot better offer than the Kings got. They then could of used the Nets picks, Johnson and Young to get Butler. Their rotation could have been Thomas, Bradley, Butler, Horford, and Cousins with Crowder, Smart, Olynyk and Rozier off the bench. Why on earth would you pass on that opportunity.

The C's were never involved and it sounds like the Kings love Hield.

Boogs31

Cousins has had teams with more talent than the Rockets and OKC's one man shows and hasn't won shit his entire career. Coincidence? Maybe.

OKC has a top 5 center (Adams) and a top 10 center (Kanter) as well as a top 10 shooting guard (Oladipo).

Houston has a top 10 small forward (Ariza) and a top 10 shooting guard (Gordon).

The only guy on Sacramento that's borderline top 10 at his position is Rudy Gay who tore his Achilles. Cousins teams have consistently been awful.

Boogs31

The C's were never involved and it sounds like the Kings love Hield.

Ya the rumors are that they were too involved with talks for Butler and didn't pay the Kings any attention. I'm saying that the Celtics should be the first at the table for every potential superstar trade. The whole reason to stockpile assets is so you can make a deal like Houston did for Harden.

Ya the rumors are that they were too involved with talks for Butler and didn't pay the Kings any attention. I'm saying that the Celtics should be the first at the table for every potential superstar trade. The whole reason to stockpile assets is so you can make a deal like Houston did for Harden.

Supposedly Ainge and more importantly Stevens just didn't want Boogie.

Surfinn

I don't know why you wouldn't want a top 10 player in the league on your roster. If he has personality issues a stable locker room and a winning culture should fix most of that.

I think the biggest problem is that, like someone else in this thread said, he carried ALL of the weight when he was on the floor. He got constantly frustrated because teams would purposefully target him to get him off his game. They knew if they could frustrate him they'd have a very good chance of winning.

Now that some of the pressure is taken off I think he'll be happier and more successful. I hope he turns around.

This is, and has always been, a Kings problem, not a Cousins problem. How many goddamn times have the kings let someone go who ended up being a star somewhere else? Sure, he's got emotional issues, but had the team been better balanced and he didn't have to do everything, he'd be in a lot better shape.

Kings are #1 in the league in self sabotage, that's for sure.

Sandfox

I think the biggest problem is that, like someone else in this thread said, he carried ALL of the weight when he was on the floor. He got constantly frustrated because teams would purposefully target him to get him off his game. They knew if they could frustrate him they'd have a very good chance of winning.

Now that some of the pressure is taken off I think he'll be happier and more successful. I hope he turns around.

This is, and has always been, a Kings problem, not a Cousins problem. How many goddamn times have the kings let someone go who ended up being a star somewhere else? Sure, he's got emotional issues, but had the team been better balanced and he didn't have to do everything, he'd be in a lot better shape.

Kings are #1 in the league in self sabotage, that's for sure.
Cousins had the same issues at Kentucky.

Boogs31

Personality issues.

Wasn't the whole reason you brought up that he had personality issues at Kentucky as an argument against the fact that the Kings were to blame for their win/loss record? If the Kings were bad because of Demarcus' personality then wouldn't it also mean that his personality would have detracted from Kentucky's success as well?

Sandfox

Wasn't the whole reason you brought up that he had personality issues at Kentucky as an argument against the fact that the Kings were to blame for their win/loss record? If the Kings were bad because of Demarcus' personality then wouldn't it also mean that his personality would have detracted from Kentucky's success as well?
It was an argument against the idea that his personality issues are the product of playing for a losing team.

Does Ainge want to continue to be playoff fodder for Lebron? Dude seems to miss that shit.

Warriors might not make it out the first round if Pelicans clench the 8th seed. Horrible, HORRIBLE matchup.

From one of the best teams of all time to losing against a Cousins team? C'mon let's not get hasty.

It's not like Curry/Durant/Klay are good matchups to any team in the league. They wreck everyone.

This will be a basketball experiment. It's hard to predict how these two will adapt.

Surfinn

It was an argument against the idea that his personality issues are the product of playing for a losing team.
He had the same issues of being the only good player on the team and being purposefully targeted as a defensive strategy? And single handedly having to carry an entire offense? I find that hard to believe for team that went 35-3.

I doubt he acted the same on that team even if he still was emotional.

Boogs31

From one of the best teams of all time to losing against a Cousins team? C'mon let's not get hasty.

It's not like Curry/Durant/Klay are good matchups to any team in the league. They wreck everyone.

This will be a basketball experiment. It's hard to predict how these two will adapt.

Davis and Cousins are both good shooters so the typical spacing problems that comes with playing with two bigs shouldn't be an issue. Draymond is a great defender but one thing he does struggle with is much taller players shooting over the top and both Davis and Cousins can do that. While it would certainly be a huge upset if the Pelicans could beat the Warriors 4 out of 7 it's not crazy to suspect that Golden State would be in for a tough series against a team that can take advantage of all of its major weaknesses. If you can pound them on the glass, take advantage of them having a power forward that is 6'6 at best, and win the battle of the center position convincingly, you have a shot.

Davis and Cousins are both good shooters so the typical spacing problems that comes with playing with two bigs shouldn't be an issue. Draymond is a great defender but one thing he does struggle with is much taller players shooting over the top and both Davis and Cousins can do that. While it would certainly be a huge upset if the Pelicans could beat the Warriors 4 out of 7 it's not crazy to suspect that Golden State would be in for a tough series against a team that can take advantage of all of its major weaknesses. If you can pound them on the glass, take advantage of them having a power forward that is 6'6 at best, and win the battle of the center position convincingly, you have a shot.

More decent than good. Both are below league average in 3 point shooting. Sure, they will able to diversify a bit their positioning to unclog the paint, but it's there where they can take major advantage. Small ball would probably be a nightmare for the Pelicans on defense too. Harder than usual for a possible 8th spot ok. More than that I'll need to wait to see how they play.

It's going to be fun though.

Tom Penny

OKC has a top 5 center (Adams) and a top 10 center (Kanter) as well as a top 10 shooting guard (Oladipo).

Houston has a top 10 small forward (Ariza) and a top 10 shooting guard (Gordon).

The only guy on Sacramento that's borderline top 10 at his position is Rudy Gay who tore his Achilles. Cousins teams have consistently been awful.

lol Houston and OKC's supporting cast are trash. I take it you don't even watch basketball. Take Harden and Westbrook off the teams and they aren't even close to the playoffs. Boogie greatest winning season was last year carrying the Kings to 33 wins...never even close to the playoffs with him...

Boogs31

More decent than good. Both are below league average in 3 point shooting. Sure, they will able to diversify a bit their positioning to unclog the paint, but it's there where they can take major advantage. Small ball would probably be a nightmare for the Pelicans on defense too. Harder than usual for a possible 8th spot ok. More than that I'll need to wait to see how they play.

It's going to be fun though.

I think Davis can switch defensively and guard just about anybody with his length and athleticism. That almost gives New Orleans a small ball lineup flexibility on defense while maintaining the benefits of playing big. Cousins at center will be guarding the likes of Pachulia and McGee who don't have perimeter games. The only matchup defensively that would worry me if I was the Pelicans would be Draymond at center. But if the Warriors do that they would be really susceptible to getting dominated inside.

I agree that we should probably wait and see before making any crazy predictions but on paper it seems like it would be a tough matchup for the Warriors.

Top Bottom