• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I thought Zach said he wouldn't trade Cousins just a month or two ago.

I think he said that too - but he's always been more down on Boogie the person than the average analyst - and he's hinted at knowing some pretty bad stuff that has gone down.

C5JW5AMUMAAtHyI.jpg

lol

Butler's not worth it.

At some point, Ainge has to turn those assets into a star, or what's the point of having them. You can't seriously believe that any of the young guys they have now, or any of the guys they could get in the draft, have a high chance of being better than Jimmy Butler already is.

ViciousDS

Banned
lakers making a push for butler but......Russell isn't even on the table....ingram is untouchable so I'm not even going to mention it lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
At some point, Ainge has to turn those assets into a star, or what's the point of having them. You can't seriously believe that any of the young guys they have now, or any of the guys they could get in the draft, have a high chance of being better than Jimmy Butler already is.

Fultz doesn't have a chance of being butler? Really? I think jaylen could get close to butler. I also know Jimmy has some downfalls such as inconsistent shooting, questionable knees, and a diva attitude which has been brought up on multiple occasions.

What people aren't factoring in is if butler pushes them over the top. No he doesn't. By the time the warriors and Cavs reign would be done the celts would be on the downturn of butler's career likely. If they can land a superstar in the draft they can have control over that player and build around him.

I do agree though I don't really love any of the Celtics pieces. Isaiah is flawed, but I'll admit I was mostly wrong about him especially if he keeps up his current pace. Avery is an injury machine and mostly overrated anyways. Crowder is a good piece especially for what he makes but he's more of a role player. The two that I like are smart and brown. Brown has shown a lot to people who actually watch the games. His athleticism is off the charts, he can finish through contact, which he also draws at a prolific rate, he can get to the rim at will, and he can guard spots 1-4. He's a hair away from a bunch of things and if he tightens that up he could be a damn good 2 way player. He's ready got really great post moves as well.

Smart on the other hand I like but don't love. His defense is legit and his motor is amongst the best in the league, but his shot selection is terrible. He has developed his ability lately to get to the rim and draw actual contact. His early habbits of flopping held him back in that part of his game. Also Avery being hurt has opened him up as a facilitator getting run as the PG . He's actually got damn good vision and makes really good passes with bouts of inconsistency. If he can learn to reel in his shot selection an continue to improve his shot and handle he can be a damn good piece as well.

If the celts land any of the top 3 this year I think you'll see some serious trades going down, but for now they're not a butler away and if they get fleeced for him where else can they go?

Explain to me why any draft pick would want to sign with Sacramento after this clusterfuck

Because they basically have to? I mean, if Sacramento drafts someone, and they say "fuck it, I ain't signing with Sacramento," then Sacramento just sits on that selection and they can't sign with anyone else. If the choice is between playing for a shitty NBA franchise or going overseas (probably for less money), what 19-20 year old is thinking "I guess China's pretty nice"? Or, more likely, "fuck it, I may be good at basketball, but my real passion is accounting!" For kids coming out of school with no income, a few million to play for the Kings for a few years is a pretty fucking tempting offer.

Now free agents? Well, that's another story. But then again, Sacramento's never really been a team that scores marquee free agents, so this latest episode probably doesn't do much to change their streak of failure in that department.

Tom Penny

Butler is worth about one Brooklyn pick Bradley or Smart and filler.

TTG

Weren't like 5 of those picks together turned down by Miami for Winslow? Celtics' picks are as overrated as their team.

Tom Penny

Jesus, how many Brooklyn picks do the Celtics have again? What do you mean one? One of how many?!?!
Billy King was a joke.

Unprotected first-round draft picks in 2014, 2016 and 2018. The Celtics also received the right to swap first-rounders with the Nets in 2017. All for Paul Pierce and KG's corpse. They did have to take on Gerald Wallace ludicrous contract but that is long gone...
Celtics' picks are as overrated as their team.

lol 4 number one picks from the Nets is overrated..they are a dumpster fire...oops 3.

Boogs31

What people aren't factoring in is if butler pushes them over the top. No he doesn't. By the time the warriors and Cavs reign would be done the celts would be on the downturn of butler's career likely.

I agree just Butler doesn't put them in the Cavs or Warriors league. But Butler AND Cousins would have. They could of gotten it done. They could of given up their own first round pick in 2018 as well as the protected first round picks they own from Memphis and the Clippers in 2019 with a few rotation players like Zeller and Brown and gotten Cousins. That's a lot better offer than the Kings got. They then could of used the Nets picks, Johnson and Young to get Butler. Their rotation could have been Thomas, Bradley, Butler, Horford, and Cousins with Crowder, Smart, Olynyk, Jerebko and Rozier off the bench.

And Butler's career trajectory lines up with Thomas and Horford's. If you're concerned about Butler being on the downside of his career when the Cavs and Warriors are done then you should be concerned about the entirety of the Celtics roster as well.

I don't get why so many fans want to get rid of the Brooklyn picks so badly, yeah if the right deal comes along Ainge should move them but otherwise it's really not the end of the world to draft two more top 5 or even top 3 picks. Overpaying for a star that won't make them championship contenders doesn't seem like the right move to me.

As for Boogie, I'm not sure what the C's would've had to offer to get that deal done if Vivek truly thinks Hield is the next Steph.

Boogs31

He's a great scorer, but not a great distributor. That being said he seems to have improved that part of his game quite a bit this year.

If you prefer pass first point guards over scoring point guards that's fine. But to say the Celtics don't have a point guard, when the guy playing that position for them is averaging 30ppg, is a ridiculous statement.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If you prefer pass first point guards over scoring point guards that's fine. But to say the Celtics don't have a point guard, when the guy playing that position for them is averaging 30ppg, is a ridiculous statement.

It's not so much about pass first vs. score first. Either way like said above if you can get somebody like fultz then what does it matter? Especially since fultz seems to be a combo off both floor general and big time scorer.

LionPride

Banned
All I know is, I want Caleb Swanigan cause he's gonna be one of the best players in the draft

"Oh he's undersized"

Dude has worked hard as hell to not be far and start bustin heads with Purdue

We see smaller PFs succeed in this league more and more

Boogs31

It's not so much about pass first vs. score first. Either way like said above if you can get somebody like fultz then what does it matter? Especially since fultz seems to be a combo off both floor general and big time scorer.

I was just disagreeing with your comment that the Celtics don't currently have a point guard. That comment is blatantly false. I don't watch college ball so I can't really comment on Fultz but I'm generally for drafting best available regardless of position and figure it out later.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Bledsoe and Booker are legit but I'd pack Dragan and Chriss' bags myself if It meant I could get DMC.

It was probably one of those chriss or booker plus their pick this year. They have a legitimate shot at the no. 1 and chriss looks to be the steal of the draft so far.

edit-
I was just disagreeing with your comment that the Celtics don't currently have a point guard. That comment is blatantly false. I don't watch college ball so I can't really comment on Fultz but I'm generally for drafting best available regardless of position and figure it out later.

Again I think isaiah plays PG due to his size. He's not much of a facilitator. He does seem to have improved that part of his game, but that's just my take.

Boogs31

Again I think isaiah plays PG due to his size. He's not much of a facilitator. He does seem to have improved that part of his game, but that's just my take.

Your position is based on who you guard, not whether you are a scorer or a facilitator. Based on your logic LeBron and Nikola Jokic are point guards because they are facilitators and guys like Westbrook, Kyrie and Thomas are not point guards because they're scorers. As I said before if you prefer point guards to be more of a facilitator that's fine. But that doesn't mean that point guards that can score aren't point guards.

Top Bottom