• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Your position is based on who you guard, not whether you are a scorer or a facilitator. Based on your logic LeBron and Nikola Jokic are point guards because they are facilitators and guys like Westbrook, Kyrie and Thomas are not point guards because they're scorers. As I said before if you prefer point guards to be more of a facilitator that's fine. But that doesn't mean that point guards that can score aren't point guards.

LeBron is much more of a PG than Kyrie or IT

Boogs31

LeBron is much more of a PG than Kyrie or IT

No he's not. Have you ever heard someone put LeBron in a list of best point guards? I haven't. He's a small forward. You're confusing being a good passer with being a good point guard. A point guard is a position you play, NOT a specific skill you may or may not have. LeBron is a great passing small forward. Thomas is a great scoring point guard.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No he's not. Have you ever heard someone put LeBron in a list of best point guards? I haven't. He's a small forward. You're confusing being a good passer with being a good point guard. A point guard is a position you play, NOT a specific skill you may or may not have. LeBron is a great passing small forward. Thomas is a great scoring point guard.

OK.

Traditionally a PG is a facilitator. The person who brings the ball up and initiates the offense. LeBron does this as much if not more than Kyrie does. The distinctions are entirely meaningless, which is sort of the point.

Boogs31

Traditionally a PG is a facilitator. The person who brings the ball up and initiates the offense. LeBron does this as much if not more than Kyrie does. The distinctions are entirely meaningless, which is sort of the point.

There are more scoring point guards in the league than facilitators. Curry, Kyrie, Westbrook, Kemba, and Thomas outnumber the CP3's and Wall's of the world. By traditionally do you mean 20 years ago? My point is whether or not you score or facilitate that doesn't affect what position you play. Every team needs a good combination of scoring and facilitating to be successful.

ViciousDS

Banned
I wonder if butler could thrive like harden seeing as they are both ball centric. Turn butler into a PG......look how insane harden is being the ball hog.....he leads the league in assists. Turn Isiah into a Iverson and throw him at the SG position lol

I wonder if butler could thrive like harden seeing as they are both ball centric. Turn butler into a PG......look how insane harden is being the ball hog.....he leads the league in assists. Turn Isiah into a Iverson and throw him at the SG position lol
Butler's not quick enough with the ball to play the point.
His handles aren't remarkable either and his passing is just decent.

There are more scoring point guards in the league than facilitators. Curry, Kyrie, Westbrook, Kemba, and Thomas outnumber the CP3's and Wall's of the world. By traditionally do you mean 20 years ago? My point is whether or not you score or facilitate that doesn't affect what position you play. Every team needs a good combination of scoring and facilitating to be successful.

The point is that the positions don't matter. It's not like the NBA mandates that you have to have a "PG" or "C" on the floor. Look at the landscape of the league. Trying to pigeonhole players into specific positions as if it even means anything anymore just makes you sound like Byron Scott. LeBron is as much a PG as most guys you would label "Point Guards".

Boogs31

The point is that the positions don't matter. It's not like the NBA mandates that you have to have a "PG" or "C" on the floor. Look at the landscape of the league. Trying to pigeonhole players into specific positions as if it even means anything anymore just makes you sound like Byron Scott. LeBron is as much a PG as most guys you would label "Point Guards".

Positions don't matter on offense. They do on defense. LeBron would get worn down guarding point guards all season and having to navigate the constant pick and rolls that a point guard has to deal with. He also would get worn down guarding centers and battling inside against 7 footers all year.

There's a reason the Warriors don't play Draymond at center that much even though that is their best lineup. He would get beaten up playing against centers all season.

If you don't think positions matter on defense you're essentially saying mismatches don't matter. There's a reason the Cavs tried to get Curry switched onto LeBron all the time in the finals. Because it's difficult for any point guard to cover a 6"8 small forward.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Positions don't matter on offense. They do on defense. LeBron would get worn down guarding point guards all season and having to navigate the constant pick and rolls that a point guard has to deal with. He also would get worn down guarding centers and battling inside against 7 footers all year.

There's a reason the Warriors don't play Draymond at center that much even though that is their best lineup. He would get beaten up playing against centers all season.

If you don't think positions matter on defense you're essentially saying mismatches don't matter. There's a reason the Cavs tried to get Curry switched onto LeBron all the time in the finals. Because it's difficult for any point guard to cover a 6"8 small forward.

You're taking the listing of position too seriously.

Yeah but D Rose has to be an upgrade from Ricky Rubio right? Only thing is Rose's style of play also clashes with KAT and Wiggins. All 3 kinda need the ball in their hand and ISO to be effective. Doesn't seem like a good idea for the T Wolves. On the other hand for the Knicks, Rubio for Rose straight up wouldn't work financially but you would think that Rubio would be part of the trade. While his defense and shot are nowhere to be found. I'm curious how Porzingis and Rubio would play together.

The surest sign that the Pelicans are relevant again is the fact that I've had to hear nothing but hot takes today about one of their players. lol

Also, more Kings madness:

But the fault is on Kings ownership. Vivek Ranadivé believes Buddy Hield has Stephen Curry–level potential, a source explained; they view him as the equivalent of a top-five pick with superstar upside — a franchise-altering piece. ”People don't realize that teams get fixated on certain players and do deals specifically to get those players," said a league executive. Trades require ownership approval, and in Ranadivé's eyes, Hield was by far the best available asset being offered.

According to an Eastern Conference source, Divac also called the Celtics, but asked for far too much in return and refused to negotiate. There's also belief that the Nuggets were willing to include anyone but Nikola Jokic and perhaps Jamal Murray in a trade for Cousins. Per a separate source, the Suns were offering a package of players and multiple first-round draft picks (including one or both of their upcoming Miami picks), but the Kings declined. ”We would have traded for him at the right price," Suns general manager Ryan McDonough admitted to Arizona Sports 98.7. ”We didn't want to break up our young core to get him."

If this doesn't make sense to you, don't worry; it doesn't make sense to anyone. It was not the most orderly or rational process by the Kings. ”Vlade needed a huge haul to get Vivek to sign off [on a different deal]," said the Eastern Conference source. ”They needed a home run deal to get past Vivek."

Apparently that home run was Buddy Hield, a player Ranadivé was reportedly enamored with. Divac's desperation stemmed from Ranadivé saying no over and over again to every Cousins trade proposal. The Kings owner was ”softening slightly" to the idea of dealing the franchise center over the past year, per a source, and this was Divac's chance to press the reset button. If Divac waited, there's a chance Ranadivé would reverse course once again. The Kings wouldn't have been in this mess if they had dealt Cousins for a huge return one to three years ago, but Ranadivé's unwillingness at the time to move on made that impossible. Instead, they dealt Cousins, after assuring Boogie's agent they were committed to signing the star big man long-term. Now, they're a dysfunctional organization, barren of high-value assets, with a track record of burning bridges.

pislit

Yeah but D Rose has to be an upgrade from Ricky Rubio right? Only thing is Rose's style of play also clashes with KAT and Wiggins. All 3 kinda need the ball in their hand and ISO to be effective. Doesn't seem like a good idea for the T Wolves. On the other hand for the Knicks, Rubio for Rose straight up wouldn't work financially but you would think that Rubio would be part of the trade. While his defense and shot are nowhere to be found. I'm curious how Porzingis and Rubio would play together.

Tony Parker for Rubio is a possibility. LOL.

I want to see how Pop integrate Rubio in a Spurs system. Any player could work in that system except RJ.

EPOPJ2u.png

Vivek wants his team to play like the Warriors.
That is no secret from the day he fired Malone.
I can't believe he owned part of the Warriors at one point, he would have probably tried to build his team around Monta Ellis.

Rubio at least is a dependable defender and playmaker. Rose is a ball stopper, which has a chance to hurt the development of KAT and Wiggins. This is why you don't make your coach the GM.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You started this whole thing by saying the Celtics don't have a point guard. If you don't take positions seriously then why would you say that?

Because I was saying he doesn't play the role of what's thought of as a point guard which is exactly as described before. You're hung up on the fact that "he's listed as pg" yeah so was Avery Bradley coming out, due to his size. IT's a PG by name, but they still have more than enough space for a primary facilitator and scorer that is markelle fultz or even a pass first player like ball. Marcus smart has been bringing the ball up as the primary PG since he's been integrated into the starting unit.

Plenty can happen before Thursday's 2 p.m. trade deadline, but according to multiple sources, the Bulls and Celtics haven't held substantive talks about Butler since June, and Butler's camp is under the impression that the Bulls won't move the three-time All-Star this week.

From the Chicago Tribune.

Melo for 4 second round picks + a player who sucks is best trade
Ainge gets rid of those infinite picks
Phil gets rid of Melo , gets a meh player in return

But if they want the potential #1 pick melol holy shit
He's washed

Top Bottom