• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Sanjuro

Why do you think Boogie is a rental? He's not a free agent until 2018.

Even if Boogie gets to FA, there is a ton of value in having a guy on your roster when he does, both in terms of what you can offer him and in terms of cap flexibility.

He is a FWB for the Pelicans.

They are basically auditioning for him to resign, or they can deal him, or they can attempt small run without breaking bank, or they can just use him for commercial segments with their creepy mascots to drum up ticket sales.

There really is no downside to anything they do with him.

spyder_ur

Mannix thinks the C's and Bulls gets a deal done. He thinks Boston would end up trading the 17 Nets pick. He also said the C's would rather trade Smart over Brown.

I'm not sure I can stomach any more than Smart and the '17 pick. Would sting a bit. I'm slightly lower on Butler than others, though.

Tubobutts

I'm not sure I can stomach any more than Smart and the '17 pick. Would sting a bit. I'm slightly lower on Butler than others, though.
It's going to have to be more than that to make the salaries work for a trade isn't it? Smart is only making $3.5 mil compared to Butler's $17.5 mil.

Brian Windhorst on ESPN this morning said he is hearing it may be a 3-way PG trade with Knicks, Wolves, and Pistons.

Derrick Rose to Wolves. Reggie Jackson to Knicks. Ricky Rubio to Pistons.

I actually like this trade for all teams involved. Reggie Jackson is a slight upgrade for the Knicks. D-Rose is going to save some cap for the T wolves at the end of the season. And goddamn, the thought of a Pick and Roll offense with Drummond and Rubio... defense is still a problem but Detroit could see success with the old D antoni method.

Brandson

It's going to have to be more than that to make the salaries work for a trade isn't it? Smart is only making $3.5 mil compared to Butler's $17.5 mil.

I can see Chicago demanding all of Boston's remaining Brooklyn picks and swap rights, future Boston 1sts, Brown, Smart, and salary filler. And that's probably why this deal hasn't happened. The Bulls don't need to trade Butler so the price will be high.

Tom Penny

Matchup zone defense for decades.
Great floor spacing with Rubio and Drummond. They are revolutionizing the game again.

I can see Chicago demanding all of Boston's remaining Brooklyn picks and swap rights, future Boston 1sts, Brown, Smart, and salary filler. And that's probably why this deal hasn't happened. The Bulls don't need to trade Butler so the price will be high.

I can see Ainge hanging up the phone... You actually think Danny Ainge is going to get fleeced worse than the Kings? I find it absolutely hilarious that people think Trading last year's to 5 pick and potentially two more top 5 picks is a thing for Butler 😂

demarcus-cousins-vs-anthony-davis.png

Honestly, this PF/C combination is ideal offensively as you could hope for in the modern NBA.

Also, Dallas looked at Pelicans, Nuggets, Blazers with Nurkic, and have finally decided to give up on the 8th seed
Marc Stein said:
Mark Cuban tells ESPN that Dallas is willing to take on contracts in advance of Thursday's trade deadline if draft compensation is attached.

I wonder if Seth Curry for K.J. McDaniels and a 2nd is possible.

Great floor spacing with Rubio and Drummond. They are revolutionizing the game again.

Pistons are NOT going to make the mistake of not starting Ish Smith again.

Pacers have already made their pick available to put help around Paul George. From what I can tell, SG and C depth is their biggest issue, so Seth could be part of a trade there

That being said, Yogi+Finney-Smith+Wes Matthews+Seth+Barnes might just be a core you could develop around, if you draft a star player this year

Tom Penny

Ainge needs to get Bogut and PJ Tucker for nothing and call it a day. No singular move is touching GS and Cavs. A big move would be Drummond

Bread

Banned
Ainge needs to get Bogut and PJ Tucker for nothing and call it a day. No singular move is touching GS and Cavs. A big move would be Drummond
Agreed. Bogut and Tucker would take Amir's minutes and it would be a huge net positive.

Drummond would be my choice as well, although some of the stuff I've read from Zach Lowe on his defensive effort is discouraging.

Mannix thinks the C's and Bulls gets a deal done. He thinks Boston would end up trading the 17 Nets pick. He also said the C's would rather trade Smart over Brown.

I'd be plenty okay with that, Butler is a legit superstar this year. However, that trade still wouldn't help shit if the Celtics keep giving minutes to Amir though.

Come on Philly, you're really not going to need Nerlens Noel.

I'm a TWolves fan

I've followed Rose since he went to Memphis and I live here and was like 8 during the year fucking Chalmers killed them

I don't want him and his dumb ass on my team

Understandably so, but it's only for half a season and the plus side to that, is that you guys got more cap space to sign a solid free agent in the summer. It's a good situation for the t wolves because lets face it.. they probably won't make the playoffs.

Bread

Banned
Smart, Green, Brown aren't anything special compared to where they were drafted though
Smart is 22 and having an All NBA defense year and Brown is 20 and has been impressive since he was added to the starting lineup...

Should they have taken Julius Randle and Kris Dunn instead?

And why are you even talking about Gerald Green 10 years later

spyder_ur

Smart, Green, Brown aren't anything special compared to where they were drafted though

I mean, Brown is 20, we knew there would be development, and he's well ahead of where we thought he would be and, frankly, where many of his classmates are.

And Smart is something special, when you consider that the next 10 picks were Randle, Stauskas, Vonleh, Payton, McDermott, Saric, LaVine, Warren and Payne. Actually, I think he's special independent of that.

Are you talking about Gerald Green? Who was drafted 18th twelve seasons ago and has had a long, productive NBA career?

Fjordson

Man, why am I listening to this Bill Simmons podcast? Apparently the Celtics did well not going for Cousins because why would you want to mess with all this greatness? And if they get Butler it's a trip to the finals. Oh, also Isiah can now match up with Westbrook because he "jumped a level." Can someone be burned out and delusional at the same time?
Wait which episode is this?

Brinbe

Nets gonna be putting out a real G-League lineup pretty soon. And not even anything to tank for... Damn.

BILLY KING THE WOAT

gutshot

Los Angeles Lakers
@Lakers
OFFICIAL: @MagicJohnson named President of Basketball Operations in front office restructuring. on.nba.com/2ljz5kN

Los Angeles Lakers
@Lakers
GM Mitch Kupchak has been relieved of his duties and Jim Buss will no longer be EVP of Basketball Operations. 2/2

WHOA

RedAssedApe

Banned
The media guy John Black got kicked to the curb too.

Dunno how I feel about Magic but at the very least he might help convince some free agents to come over. Jim Buss can finally go fuck off though.

Lakers are fucked. Magic can only ever say the most obvious statements, he's probably going to go for win-now moves.

He's probably going to enter saying shit like (stolen from Reddit, but all very true):
"We want to be good at basketball again"
"To accomplish this we need to win more games and also lose less games."
"Lakers fans we will try to build the best team possible. I am hoping to acquire the following players: Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, and Chris Paul"
"What we need is good players. You know, players that are good and can win games"
"I plan on putting together a team that can dribble, pass, shoot, rebound, and defend."

Sandfox

Lakers are fucked. Magic can only ever say the most obvious statements, he's probably going to go for win-now moves.

Based on Magic's comments he's not going to do that and knows it will take time to rebuild the team. He's an accomplished businessman so I'll assume/hope he has the sense to make good hires.

Holy shit. Before the trade deadline too?

Wonder if they'll name Ryan West as gm.
Based on what I've read from Larry Coon, Ryan West isn't ready to be a GM yet.

It's really dumb to not have a GM in place two days before the trade deadline.

Tank mode activated for the Lakers. That's what this move tells me. I liked Mitch except for the whole waiting on Lebron and Carmelo but missing out on Isaiah Thomas then settling for Jeremy Lin deal..oh and also Loul Deng and Mozgovs contracts. But other than that he was a decent gm. Jim buss can fuck off.

Don't know how I feel about the un proven Magic as president of bball operations. However, it was blatant that the front office for the Lakers needed a change and well we finally got one. So cheers to that I suppose

Top Bottom