• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Based on Magic's comments he's not going to do that and knows it will take time to rebuild the team. He's an accomplished businessman so I'll assume/hope he has the sense to make good hires.

Based on what I've read from Larry Coon, Ryan West isn't ready to be a GM yet.

Actual quote from Magic

Magic said:
The main part for me is really learning the other part that I didn’t know, and that is to understand the CBA, the salary cap, where we are in terms of the salary cap and who’s a free-agent-to-be. You’ve got a lot of young players so you’ve got to learn when are their contracts coming up, if you can give them the max deal, give them an extension, all those types of things you’ve got to learn. It’s a lot of things, but I’m excited. I’ve been working on all of those things, and then meeting with the staff.’

It's going to be slightly better than Shaq running an NBA team

Marz

Lakers are fucked. Magic can only ever say the most obvious statements, he's probably going to go for win-now moves.

He's probably going to enter saying shit like (stolen from Reddit, but all very true):
"We want to be good at basketball again"
"To accomplish this we need to win more games and also lose less games."
"Lakers fans we will try to build the best team possible. I am hoping to acquire the following players: Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, and Chris Paul"
"What we need is good players. You know, players that are good and can win games"
"I plan on putting together a team that can dribble, pass, shoot, rebound, and defend."

Oh good one. Any more hot takes?

Fjordson

Interesting move. Magic is beloved and obviously a LA legend, but he comes off like a dunce on twitter and TV when it comes to basketball.

Jarate

Banned
The teams that are switching front offices this year without waiting for Hinkie's non-compete clause to be over this year are insane..

Hinkie is the best free agent right now bar none.

Lakers are fucked tho. Everyone with any talent are going to be calling up Magic Johnson right now asking for pick swaps, and assets that he has no comprehension of what they are worth. Great players tend to be bad GM's in basketball for various reasons, #1 being that their perspective has been schewed for being good for so long. But it's the former player that fall in love with guys like Buddy Hield, Okafor, and other "old-school" players. (I find it funny that "old school" players tend to be iso scorers who can't defend.)

I guess Magic Johnson could prove me wrong, if he trades for Okafor, then man, he'll be my favorite GM

The teams that are switching front offices this year without waiting for Hinkie's non-compete clause to be over this year are insane..

Lakers are fucked tho. Everyone with any talent are going to be calling up Magic Johnson right now asking for pick swaps, and assets that he has no comprehension of what they are worth. Great players tend to be bad GM's in basketball for various reasons, #1 being that their perspective has been schewed for being good for so long. But it's the former player that fall in love with guys like Buddy Hield, Okafor, and other "old-school" players. (I find it funny that "old school" players tend to be iso scorers who can't defend.)

I guess Magic Johnson could prove me wrong, if he trades for Okafor, then man, he'll be my favorite GM

Wasn't it Vivek who was all in on Buddy?

Anything that means Buss is gone is the best thing EVER for Lakers fans.

Congrats to them...I wish Dolan could be removed somehow from the Knicks like that.

Barrage

After reading that article posted about Hinkie, I think being a GM is beneath him. He'll go make billions in an A.I.tech company.

NHale

Make Kobe Bryant the General Manager and we can compete again with the Kings but now for the most inept team in the league.

And fire Luke Walton and rehire Byron Scott for that Showtime magic again.

Jarate

Banned
Wasn't it Vivek who was all in on Buddy?

Vivek was all in on Buddy but there's no way that im staying in that job and allowing for Vivek to get his way if I thought Buddy Hield was kind of shit. There's no way in hell, i'd rather quit then allow that to happen under my name. It means that Vlade was complicit in the decision, and once again, ask any "old school" guy during a draft who their favorite player is, it's always the Senior or iso scorer who did well playing against people 3 years younger then them. Doug McDermott, Buddy Hield, Jimmer etc... These guys are all Kyle Korver at their peak, and that's if they learn to stop being idiot iso scores and learn to play 3&D well.

If I'm a Lakers fan, im very concerned about the future of my team. Their draft situation isnt the best right now, and while they do have young talent and a good coach, who knows what short term crap deals are going to take place so your team can maybe get the 6th seed.

After reading that article posted about Hinkie, I think being a GM is beneath him. He'll go make billions in an A.I.tech company.

Hinkie is one of those guys who could probably succeed in any business environment. It's hard to find super smart, hard workers like him, but there's a passion and l;ove for Basketball that I doubt goes away. And as much as this dude likes to pretend, he's got to be incredibly competitive and is probably pissed at the league and at the Sixers.

Hinkie is legitimately one of the most popular sports figures in Philadelphia right now. In a town like Philly, where heads roll super easily, Hinkie was able to make the fanbase fall in love with him. If I'm the president of the Bulls, Magic, Kings, Nets, Pacers, Hornets, Knicks, or the Mavericks, I have Hinkie on speed dial.

People keep saying Hinkie won't work in another stint, that he was just in the right place at the right time, but I honestly doubt that. Hinkie was a master of finding the next little loophole, or undervalued asset, he also had a human element, an element of compassion that everyone in the organization loved, including the players, and the foresight to hire a really fucking good coach. (Brett Brown should be in the running for coach of the year this year btw. 2X more wins, with basically a very similar roster, with Embiid being out half the season, Ben Simmons not playing yet.)

Hinkie got ousted by Jerry Colangelo who then hired his son. Adam Silver basically forced the Sixers to hire Jerry Colangelo. Adam Silver set the idea that gaming the system isn't fine, but gross incompetence is.

geestack

magic's probably just a figurehead, like he was with the dodgers. but i want to believe that he's going to be the one calling up gregg popovich tomorrow asking for kawhi leonard in return for swaggy p or some shit lmfao

Brinbe

Knicks West is right... The Lakers were rebuilding the right way and now they'll be stuck in win-now mediocrity forever because Magic/Kobe are definitely not gonna be on the bleeding edge of any analytics-driven front office. Double down on the old school mentality and think your gonna be immune from being bad just because you were a good player three decades earlier.

Good luck with that, Lakers-GAF.

Jarate

Banned
Can Hinkie be hired right now?

If he can't they can have an interim-gm until the season ends I guess.

Hinkie has a non-compete clause for this year. After the season is over, he's fair game

He should be the #1 target for a whole lot of teams this summer

I think hiring a guy known as the one who left a team in the lottery for years is probably not the one that the Lakers fans want, even if he wouldn't necessarily use that strategy again.

Jarate

Banned
I mean, the Lakers are in a really good situation right now after they sold their team to appease Kobe. Hell, the Lakers have been rebuilding since the same time as the Sixers and they're in a similar path with regards to wins (Sixers talent is better imo. also, Sixers obviously have more assets for the future)

Also, Hinkie needs the 100% backing of his ownership. His plans fall apart when he loses that trust (Jahlil Okafor pick is probably a big example of this). I doubt he gets that 100% trust from the Lakers ownership

Bread

Banned
I mean, the Lakers are in a really good situation right now after they sold their team to appease Kobe. Hell, the Lakers have been rebuilding since the same time as the Sixers and they're in a similar path with regards to wins (Sixers talent is better imo. also, Sixers obviously have more assets for the future)

Also, Hinkie needs the 100% backing of his ownership. His plans fall apart when he loses that trust (Jahlil Okafor pick is probably a big example of this). I doubt he gets that 100% trust from the Lakers ownership
That's just not true at all, they had Kobe the whole time which delayed their rebuilding options. The Sixers have had what, 5 lottery picks in the past 5 years? They were able to completely bottom out unlike LA.

Sam AmickVerified account
‏@sam_amick

Going after DeMarcus Cousins was Jim & Mitch's last-ditch attempt to save their jobs, I'm told. Jim really wanted him, Mitch handled talks

Apparently they didn't care about their jobs that much?

There's only one guy in the league that's realistically worth both Brooklyn picks and Jaylen... that's Anthony Davis... and that's obviously not happening.

Jarate

Banned
That's just not true at all, they had Kobe the whole time which delayed their rebuilding options. The Sixers have had what, 5 lottery picks in the past 5 years? They were able to completely bottom out unlike LA.

The Sixers rebuild started when Hinkie was hired in 2013. The Sixers were the 8th seed or very close to it for like a very long time. That is not rebuilding. The rebuild started when Andrew Bynum got hurt and wasn't able to play for the entire year in 2013. And remember, we traded the fucking entire boat for Andrew Bynum. 1st rounders, young players, basically all of our valuable assets outside of Jrue Holiday.

The Sixers were incredibly mediocre for a long period of time. In fact, since about 2014.

Hinkies Tenure was basically 2 1/2 years. Before that, the Sixers were in a similar situation as the Nets, although obviously not nearly as bad. No good young talent, a bunch of guys who weren't worth anything, who were basically at their peak only able to take you to the 8th seed, and missing some of your draft picks. In that 2 1/2 years, Hinkie got the team a legitimate superstar, Ben Simmons, the Lakers pick, The right to a kings pick swap this year, and the Kings 2019 1st rounder, all their picks back (The sixers would've owed their 1st round pick this year unprotected), Nerlens Noel, Robert Covington, TJ McConnel, Nik Stauskas, and Dario Saric. How is that not impressive in an incredibly short time?

In 2013-2014 got 27 wins and were clearly starting a rebuild. In the same season, the Sixers went 19-63. Before that season they were both fairly mediocre teams, although the Lakers were a lot better due to having Kobe. The Sixers rebuild was pulled off a lot better then the Lakers one in a very similar time frame

Jarate

Banned
Apparently they didn't care about their jobs that much?

You're not going to fuck over your credibility and potential future job prospects for a trade that you think is going to fuck over your franchise.

There's only one guy in the league that's realistically worth both Brooklyn picks and Jaylen... that's Anthony Davis... and that's obviously not happening.

This is not true at all. Lebron, Curry, KD, Russel, Harden, KAT, and Kawhi Leonard are all no brainers for that.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Problem is that a large amount of Laker money (and league money) is tied to the Laker TV contract, which is variable based on ratings. So unlike most teams, who have their media deals set, the Lakers get hit a lot harder financially for tanking.

I think the Magic thing will end poorly; and based on Butler's insane contract (14 million a year, 2-3 more years); Bulls should start the bidding at 2 of the 3 brooklyn picks (Brown + swap or 2018 pick) with some useful players. Butler's the #2 player in the league via RPM right now. People forget he's all defense 1st team this year most likely. With Butler's contract - they could legitimately add another max player in FA this year. That's why Chicago would ask for all the things. .

You're not going to fuck over your credibility and potential future job prospects for a trade that you think is going to fuck over your franchise.

This is not true at all. Lebron, Curry, KD, Russel, Harden, KAT, and Kawhi Leonard are all no brainers for that.

I left out Lebron, Curry and KD because they are on a whole other stratosphere to even consider being traded.

Top Bottom