• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Ronin Ray

Hinkie is one of those guys who could probably succeed in any business environment. It's hard to find super smart, hard workers like him, but there's a passion and l;ove for Basketball that I doubt goes away. And as much as this dude likes to pretend, he's got to be incredibly competitive and is probably pissed at the league and at the Sixers.

Hinkie is legitimately one of the most popular sports figures in Philadelphia right now. In a town like Philly, where heads roll super easily, Hinkie was able to make the fanbase fall in love with him. If I'm the president of the Bulls, Magic, Kings, Nets, Pacers, Hornets, Knicks, or the Mavericks, I have Hinkie on speed dial.

People keep saying Hinkie won't work in another stint, that he was just in the right place at the right time, but I honestly doubt that. Hinkie was a master of finding the next little loophole, or undervalued asset, he also had a human element, an element of compassion that everyone in the organization loved, including the players, and the foresight to hire a really fucking good coach. (Brett Brown should be in the running for coach of the year this year btw. 2X more wins, with basically a very similar roster, with Embiid being out half the season, Ben Simmons not playing yet.)

Hinkie got ousted by Jerry Colangelo who then hired his son. Adam Silver basically forced the Sixers to hire Jerry Colangelo. Adam Silver set the idea that gaming the system isn't fine, but gross incompetence is.

How was Hinkie on his draft picks ? Did he hit or miss out on good picks ? I don't know anything about the guy besides the tanking stuff.

ACE 1991

Hinkie as Laker GM would be dope. Still sucks he got pushed out of Philly.

I get angry every time I think about it.

It's hilarious how all the radio hosts in Philly have pivoted in Hinkie and like to pretend that they didn't shit all over The Process for the past three years.

Bread

Banned
The Sixers rebuild started when Hinkie was hired in 2013. The Sixers were the 8th seed or very close to it for like a very long time. That is not rebuilding. The rebuild started when Andrew Bynum got hurt and wasn't able to play for the entire year in 2013. And remember, we traded the fucking entire boat for Andrew Bynum. 1st rounders, young players, basically all of our valuable assets outside of Jrue Holiday.

The Sixers were incredibly mediocre for a long period of time. In fact, since about 2014.

Hinkies Tenure was basically 2 1/2 years. Before that, the Sixers were in a similar situation as the Nets, although obviously not nearly as bad. No good young talent, a bunch of guys who weren't worth anything, who were basically at their peak only able to take you to the 8th seed, and missing some of your draft picks. In that 2 1/2 years, Hinkie got the team a legitimate superstar, Ben Simmons, the Lakers pick, The right to a kings pick swap this year, and the Kings 2019 1st rounder, all their picks back (The sixers would've owed their 1st round pick this year unprotected), Nerlens Noel, Robert Covington, TJ McConnel, Nik Stauskas, and Dario Saric. How is that not impressive in an incredibly short time?

In 2013-2014 got 27 wins and were clearly starting a rebuild. In the same season, the Sixers went 19-63. Before that season they were both fairly mediocre teams, although the Lakers were a lot better due to having Kobe. The Sixers rebuild was pulled off a lot better then the Lakers one in a very similar time frame
I'm not trying to say the Lakers were as good at rebuilding as the Sixers or anything, but they clearly were not on equal ground. The Sixers had MCW and Evan Turner as their best players for a season, right? They were a bottom feeder for 3 straight years while the Lakers were never able to reach those depths because Kobe put them in a terrible position to rebuild.

It's hilarious how all the radio hosts in Philly have pivoted in Hinkie and like to pretend that they didn't shit all over The Process for the past three years.

That is the problem for Hinkie and his future prospects, especially with a high profile job like the Lakers. The mouth breathers on local sports radio only know him as "the guy who tanked" and, unfortunately, that kind of shit matters.

ACE 1991

How was Hinkie on his draft picks ? Did he hit or miss out on good picks ? I don't know anything about the guy besides the tanking stuff.

The only big miss, in my opinion, was drafting Jahlil Okafor. Rumor has it he really wanted Kristaps but the higher ups told him to take Okafor, but this is unsubstantiated. His legacy in Philadelphia will live and die with the health of Embiid, in my opinion. If Embiid gets hurt again and is out of the NBA then none of the tanking was worth it.

That is the problem for Hinkie and his future prospects, especially with a high profile job like the Lakers. The mouth breathers on local sports radio only know him as "the guy who tanked" and, unfortunately, that kind of shit matters.

The thing is, it totally doesn't have to matter if the rest of FO fully buys in, which is what happened with the Sixers before Adam Snake Silver stepped in. Hinkie gave zero fucks about the W/L column while he was here (and was pretty upfront about it) and almost never talked to the media seriously.

Bread

Banned
Hinkie wasn't some draft god, he just took the top talent that fell to him. Okafor and Simmons were the obvious picks. Embiid and Noel fell because of health issues. We can act like everything is rosy because the team is looking up now but that team was absolute trash for 3 years and Philly fans wouldn't even watch them.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

TBD? I mean, he did end up getting them four centers basically. The issue is whether Hinkie could have traded Okafor and Noel for extra 1st rounders or not - I don't think Colangelo can (oddly partially due to firing Hinkie). If Embiid and Simmons are stars, then Hinkie did his job. If they have two stars plus one really good player in Embiid, Saric, and Simmons, get potentially two top 5 picks depending on LA luck in this draft, and get one more bite at the apple with an unprotected Kings pick in 2019; they should be able to get at least one or two more stars. I mean, if they get the #1 and #4 pick in this draft, they should throw Hinkie a parade. That means they almost certainly locked down their core 5.

Wings - Simmons / Fultz / Malik Monk
Bigs - Saric / Embiid / Noel

gutshot

His drafts have been decent.

Good:
Embiid
Noel
Saric

Bad:
MCW (to his credit, traded him away after his one good season)
Okafor

This doesn't take into account his 2nd rounders and undrafted pick ups, some of whom are turning out to be pretty good (Covington, McConnell, Holmes, Grant).

ACE 1991

Hinkie wasn't some draft god, he just took the top talent that fell to him. Okafor and Simmons were the obvious picks. Embiid and Noel fell because of health issues. We can act like everything is rosy because the team is looking up now but that team was absolute trash for 3 years and Philly fans wouldn't even watch them.

...That was kind of the whole point.

You think Magic has earned this position based on what he's done in the NBA after playing?

He is not going to be the day to day GM.

Look when we are recruiting, and a free agent walks into a room, is he going to respond to Mich and Jim better than Magic?

No.

This move is positive, and yes Magic has earned everything he has.

Guys the Lakers have had the worst 4 years in their history. there has to be some accountability.

Jarate

Banned

2013 - Michael Carter-Williams, Nerlens Noel with 1st round picks, 2nd rounders were Glen Rice and Pierre Jackson.
2014 - 1st Round Joel Embiid and essentially Dario Saric (Drafted Elfrid Payton and traded him for to move down 2 picks. 2nd rounders are KJ McDaniels, Jerami Grant, Russ Smith, Vasilije Micic, and Nemanja Dangubic. Embiid was a great pick, Dario looks really fucking good so far, KJ McDaniels was a headcase but has good talent, Jerami Grant is a valuable player in the league, enough to get a top 20 protected 1st round pick for, the other 3 are late 2nd rounders
2015 - 1st round - Jahlil Okafor (ouch) 2nd round - Willy Hernangomez (traded to Knicks), Richaun Holmes (good pick up) Arturas Gudaitis, J.P. Tokoto, and Luka Mitrovic

MCW was a fairly mediocre pick, although he got incredible value for him. Nelrens Noel was an incredibly good pick. He's a bit of a bitch, but he's a really good defender. Joel Embiid is a legit superstar if healthy, Dario Saric has looked super good imo and Okafor was a miss. Not the best drafting imo, but Hinkie was smart enough to recognize what a crapshoot the draft really is, and the best way to get really good players from the draft was to draft really high up, and to get a lot of really good draft picks.

His ability to find at least some value out of the 2nd round is pretty awesome, he's also added in a lot of really good undrafted or d-league pick ups, the big two being Robert Covington and TJ McConnel.

Hinkie's specialty is the trades though. He has a few amazing trades that he got done. His first was Jrue Holiday and Pierre Jackson for Nerlens Noel and a 1st rounder on draft night. That is an amazing trade, nerlens Noel is about as good as Jrue Holiday, so you basically traded Pierre Jackson for the 10th pick in next years draft.

Next draft, he traded Elfrid Payton (the #10 pick) for Dario Saric and the Sixers 2017 pick. This was another incredible deal. Elfrid Payton is struggling in orlando while Dario Saric is basically #2 on ROY and making a case to replace mbiid who has been out for so long.

His first top tier traded happened when he traded MCW for the Lakers 1st rounder. This pissed off the national media an incredible amount, but in reality, this is one of his finest trades. MCW is worth about Tony Snell right now, the Lakers pick is very valuable.

Traded cash and a random Euro to Denver for an eventual first rounder, which ended up being Furkan korkmaz. Not a big splash, but I really like Korkmaz tbh.

This next deal is literally his best deal of all. People sing praises for deals like the MCW one, but this is just asinine.
Traded Arturas Gudaitis, Luka Mitrovic and Future 2nd-round pick to the Sacramento Kings for Carl Landry, Nik Stauskas, Jason Thompson and a 2018 1st round draft pick. Also rights to swap 1st rounder in 2016 or 2017
They traded 2 euros who aren't doing anything, a 2nd round pick, for Nik Stauskas (who has become an NBA player in Philly) Carl Landry, Jason Thompson (these two aren't that important tbh) the rights to swap for the Kings 2016 and 2017 pick (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA) and the 2018 pick which will turn into the 2019 pick if the Kings finish outside the top 10 (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) so basically a 2019 pick, unprotected, from the most incompetent organization in the NBA.

His drafting was ok, but he was incredible at trading, and incredible at finding value.

Gigglepoo

He is not going to be the day to day GM.

Look when we are recruiting, and a free agent walks into a room, is he going to respond to Mich and Jim better than Magic?

No.

This move is positive, and yes Magic has earned everything he has.

Guys the Lakers have had the worst 4 years in their history. there has to be some accountability.

I didn't say he's the GM. How has he earned his role as president? He was a terrible coach and brain-dead analyst. You think he'd get this job if he wasn't Magic?

Jarate

Banned
I'm not trying to say the Lakers were as good at rebuilding as the Sixers or anything, but they clearly were not on equal ground. The Sixers had MCW and Evan Turner as their best players for a season, right? They were a bottom feeder for 3 straight years while the Lakers were never able to reach those depths because Kobe put them in a terrible position to rebuild.

No they were middle of the pack. MCW was drafted by Hinkie. that's when Hinkie's tenure started. They were not bottom feeders before then, they were literally the 8h seed basically every year.

Kobe was injured that 2013-2014 season, so no excuses there, and was horrid as a player after that injury. Kobe did not single handedly keep them from being a terrible team. They were a terrible team with him.

h1nch

2013 - Michael Carter-Williams, Nerlens Noel with 1st round picks, 2nd rounders were Glen Rice and Pierre Jackson.
2014 - 1st Round Joel Embiid and essentially Dario Saric (Drafted Elfrid Payton and traded him for to move down 2 picks. 2nd rounders are KJ McDaniels, Jerami Grant, Russ Smith, Vasilije Micic, and Nemanja Dangubic. Embiid was a great pick, Dario looks really fucking good so far, KJ McDaniels was a headcase but has good talent, Jerami Grant is a valuable player in the league, enough to get a top 20 protected 1st round pick for, the other 3 are late 2nd rounders
2015 - 1st round - Jahlil Okafor (ouch) 2nd round - Willy Hernangomez (traded to Knicks), Richaun Holmes (good pick up) Arturas Gudaitis, J.P. Tokoto, and Luka Mitrovic

MCW was a fairly mediocre pick, although he got incredible value for him. Nelrens Noel was an incredibly good pick. He's a bit of a bitch, but he's a really good defender. Joel Embiid is a legit superstar if healthy, Dario Saric has looked super good imo and Okafor was a miss. Not the best drafting imo, but Hinkie was smart enough to recognize what a crapshoot the draft really is, and the best way to get really good players from the draft was to draft really high up, and to get a lot of really good draft picks.

His ability to find at least some value out of the 2nd round is pretty awesome, he's also added in a lot of really good undrafted or d-league pick ups, the big two being Robert Covington and TJ McConnel.

Hinkie's specialty is the trades though. He has a few amazing trades that he got done. His first was Jrue Holiday and Pierre Jackson for Nerlens Noel and a 1st rounder on draft night. That is an amazing trade, nerlens Noel is about as good as Jrue Holiday, so you basically traded Pierre Jackson for the 10th pick in next years draft.

Next draft, he traded Elfrid Payton (the #10 pick) for Dario Saric and the Sixers 2017 pick. This was another incredible deal. Elfrid Payton is struggling in orlando while Dario Saric is basically #2 on ROY and making a case to replace mbiid who has been out for so long.

His first top tier traded happened when he traded MCW for the Lakers 1st rounder. This pissed off the national media an incredible amount, but in reality, this is one of his finest trades. MCW is worth about Tony Snell right now, the Lakers pick is very valuable.

Traded cash and a random Euro to Denver for an eventual first rounder, which ended up being Furkan korkmaz. Not a big splash, but I really like Korkmaz tbh.

This next deal is literally his best deal of all. People sing praises for deals like the MCW one, but this is just asinine.

They traded 2 euros who aren't doing anything, a 2nd round pick, for Nik Stauskas (who has become an NBA player in Philly) Carl Landry, Jason Thompson (these two aren't that important tbh) the rights to swap for the Kings 2016 and 2017 pick (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA) and the 2018 pick which will turn into the 2019 pick if the Kings finish outside the top 10 (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) so basically a 2019 pick, unprotected, from the most incompetent organization in the NBA.

His drafting was ok, but he was incredible at trading, and incredible at finding value.

I think his biggest draft miss is probably taking MCW over Greek Freak (Okafor is meh but the pick made sense at the time). Giannis would have been the perfect play for the Sixers. Super raw freakish athlete who's development curve would presumably line up to when the Sixers could start becoming good. But like you said, he did the right thing moving MCW when his value was still high, so the draft miss is somewhat mitigated.

Jarate

Banned
I think his biggest draft miss is probably taking MCW over Greek Freak (Okafor is meh but the pick made sense at the time). Giannis would have been the perfect play for the Sixers. Super raw freakish athlete who's development curve would presumably line up to when the Sixers could start becoming good. But like you said, he did the right thing moving MCW when his value was still high, so the draft miss is somewhat mitigated.

People have to remember that Giannis has grown 2 inches since being drafted, and that's a huge difference. I still would've taken him, but I mean, you literally can't know that that will happen.

Ronin Ray

I appreciate your enthusiasm for 76ers basketball

Fred Roggin‏ @FredNBCLA

according to sources #Lakers signing of Mozgov and Deng sealed the fates of Buss and Kupchak
2:31 PM · Feb 21, 2017

Jeanie Buss is also out the apologizing for waiting so long to makes these moves

Fjordson

The Lakers top choice was Bob Myers wow.

The Los Angeles Lakers trying to get the GM from the Golden State Warriors (after hiring their assistant coach). And the GM stays with the Warriors.

This a few days after the biggest trade of the season happened because one owner saw "Steph Curry" potential in a player.

Considering the Warriors used to be completely irrelevant, these are wild fucking times man.

Mortemis

Banned
Lakers should just name Ryan West as the interim GM and not go through this whole mess of interviews in the middle of the season and fucking TWO days before the trade deadline. Let him deal with trading Lou and maybe NY and see if you want him at GM or go through the interviews and hiring at the end of the season where you'll have more candidates to hire.

Maybe Ryan at GM can get Jerry back as an advisor later on.

jbug617

Banned
on the Lowe podcast today, Stein said that a NBA executive told him yesterday that he thinks Paul George is going to end up on the Celtics this week. I am very doubtful that happens.

on the Lowe podcast today, Stein said that a NBA executive told him yesterday that he thinks Paul George is going to end up on the Celtics this week. I am very doubtful that happens.

Interesting... I would do a Brooklyn pick + Jaylen or both Brooklyn picks, but not all three of those.

Tom Penny

I think Butler is having a better year but George at his best is probably a better more versatile player and can play off the ball if needed much better. There are zero players currently on the market that I would trade both Brooklyn picks for.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think Butler is having a better year but George at his best is probably a better more versatile player and can play off the ball if needed much better. There are zero players currently on the market that I would trade both Brooklyn picks for.

I like George a lot more than butler. That being said I really like jaylen. I'd still do it, but if there was an alternative to jaylen I hope they go hard for that.

Just curious. Excluding Westbrook harden Durant Steph and LeBron ect, are there any young players (not on the market) you would trade both picks for?

Top Bottom