• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

I think Butler is having a better year but George at his best is probably a better more versatile player and can play off the ball if needed much better. There are zero players currently on the market that I would trade both Brooklyn picks for.

Paul George is younger than Butler and he can hold his own against Lebron. I would absolutely trade both Brooklyns without hesitation.

Tom Penny

Just curious. Excluding Westbrook harden Durant Steph and LeBron ect, are there any young players (not on the market) you would trade both picks for?

Towns and AD who will never be available nor will Kawhi.

Paul George is younger than Butler and he can hold his own against Lebron. I would absolutely trade both Brooklyns without hesitation.

George doesn't get you by the Cavs or GS..not worth both picks. You need those to add talent then be that team.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Towns and AD who will never be available nor will Kawhi.

George doesn't get you by the Cavs or GS..not worth both picks. You need those to add talent then be that team.

Even number one picks don't get you by GS. Butler is probably your best shot, since he gives you space to add another max player due to his contract. But no way Indiana & Chicago don't ask for both Brooklyn picks. Butler and George are worth it - Boston has to just keep swinging and hope they can get a star before IT and Crowder get their max contracts.

So we got The Jazz, The Wizards, and the Hornets all offering a 1st for Lou Williams? Damn if only the Nets didn't get rid of all of their picks..lol

Tom Penny

Even number one picks don't get you by GS. Butler is probably your best shot, since he gives you space to add another max player due to his contract. But no way Indiana & Chicago don't ask for both Brooklyn picks. Butler and George are worth it - Boston has to just keep swinging and hope they can get a star before IT and Crowder get their max contracts.
I'm talking about some how keeping Jaylen and giving them one Brooklyn pick and players. We'd still have another crack at a top ten or bettet player next year in the draft. You have to hit in the draft and the more swings the better. Giving up all of it for a Butler or George is a no go. Bottom line is league history shows that top 5 picks are roughly a 60% chance at an all-star and overwhelmingly most of the best players in history were top 5 picks with low bust factor.

Jerm411

Rob Pelinka is the front runner for the Lakers GM position....what.......?

Jeanie....what are you doing?

giphy.gif

Jerm411

i mean, an agent probably has a better understanding of that job than a former player.

It's just....I don't know. These all feel like knee jerk moves that won't work. I love Magic, my favorite player ever, but I don't know about him in that position and maybe Pelinka works but it's WUT right now for me....

Sandfox

The Warriors GM used to be an agent. Pelinka seems to be smart and knowledgeable about this type of stuff from what I've heard so we'll see how this goes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's just....I don't know. These all feel like knee jerk moves that won't work. I love Magic, my favorite player ever, but I don't know about him in that position and maybe Pelinka works but it's WUT right now for me....

Bob Myers is the primary example of a former agent doing well in a front office role, though he was able to start as an assistant GM before getting the full role.

B.O.O.M

So sounds like Pelinka is actually happening

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne Pelinka has begun informing his clients of possibility of him being Lakers GM, per sources. He's widely expected to be announced soon

Jonathan FeigenVerified account ‏@Jonathan_Feigen Rockets guard Eric Gordon spoke of his agent, Rob Pelinka, becoming Lakers GM as a done deal. "It happened fast."

Mortemis

Banned
Pelinka ain't too bad I guess.

Whatever, get that 1st round pick for Lou and see if you can get one for Nick Young too. Get this shit done!

Hornets pick would be a steal. Pls

pislit

Hornets going after Lou Williams.

Thibs also really wants Rose.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting ligaments to grow back.

Since this thread is a bit more active than the NCAA one, overrated college prospects? Underrated?

I like Miles Bridges because his game will fit right to NBA's game. There are no KGs, Duncans, Webbers, that would eat him alive like Clarence Weatherspoon before him. He's underrated because of his size but he reminds me a lot of Draymond Green X100000 in motor.

Josh Jackson is Calbert Cheney on steroids and that is not a complement at all.

watershed

Banned
So sounds like Pelinka is actually happening

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne Pelinka has begun informing his clients of possibility of him being Lakers GM, per sources. He's widely expected to be announced soon

Jonathan FeigenVerified account ‏@Jonathan_Feigen Rockets guard Eric Gordon spoke of his agent, Rob Pelinka, becoming Lakers GM as a done deal. "It happened fast."

Really curious about Pelinka's basketball acumen. Magic can be a good figurehead as long as Pelinka is a great GM.

Most important thing for NBA GMs seems to be an understanding of the CBA and negotiating skills. Good agents probably have these things. A good scouting dept (which is one thing the Lakers do seem to have) can take care of a good chunk of the player evaluation part.

jbug617

Banned
Celtics are going after Butler or George. If they don't get them, they are happy to stay put and use the draft pick.
Multiple league sources continue to tell the Herald that, while the Celts are actively seeking a top-tier player by Thursday’s trade deadline (Jimmy Butler, Paul George, etc.), they would also be satisfied using the first round picks from the Nets this year and next in a longer term, but potentially more lasting, build.

And there has been continued word from around the league that Ainge doesn’t want to give up his chance in the high level free agent market unless he can secure a franchise cornerstone player now or around the June draft.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._to_go_big_or_sit_tight_at_nba_trade_deadline

LionPride

Banned
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting ligaments to grow back.

I like Miles Bridges because his game will fit right to NBA's game. There are no KGs, Duncans, Webbers, that would eat him alive like Clarence Weatherspoon before him. He's underrated because of his size but he reminds me a lot of Draymond Green X100000 in motor.

Josh Jackson is Calbert Cheney on steroids and that is not a complement at all.
Miles and Swanigan are underrated cuz of height.

Jayson Tatum ain't gone be shit

I hope Lonzo is good

watershed

Banned
Most important thing for NBA GMs seems to be an understanding of the CBA and negotiating skills. Good agents probably have these things. A good scouting dept (which is one thing the Lakers do seem to have) can take care of a good chunk of the player evaluation part.

True and I think Pelinka could be good. He has done well by his clients at least and definitely knows his field.

Bread

Banned
Hortford really is a mistake. His contract is immovable and he'll only get worse by the second. They could have used that cap space for something else like multiple one-year rentals.
Give me a break. He is such a huge part of why the team is finally coming together and playing 50+ win basketball.

Smart, Green, Brown aren't anything special compared to where they were drafted though

Smart was a perfectly fine pick for where he was drafted, he gets so much shit because of his shot but he does everything else well and he's still young. Jaylen Brown has been in the league for half a season and has shown that he has a lot of potential. Not sure what to say about Green, Ainge could've done better with the 18th pick of the draft?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hortford really is a mistake. His contract is immovable and he'll only get worse by the second. They could have used that cap space for something else like multiple one-year rentals.

Considering when he's on the floor the celts have the best offense in the league... Yeah no.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Would Celtics fans be willing to give up brown / both Brooklyn picks / two of Bradley / Smart / Crowder for both George and Butler? (Or throw in their own 1st rounder instead of one of the players)?

I liked Kupchak but gambling on Deng and Mozgov didn't pay off. They didn't become these silent leaders the Lakers asked of them. Passing up Cousins was the final straw in the Jim Buss era.

Sandfox

I liked Kupchak but gambling on Deng and Mozgov didn't pay off. They didn't become these silent leaders the Lakers asked of them. Passing up Cousins was the final straw in the Jim Buss era.

Mozgov and Deng were bad decisions, but the Cousins decision was good.

Top Bottom