• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

is there no unsigned shooter the raptors can sign for 10 days?

curry_200_011223.jpg

Truly atrociously managed game by the refs here. But Dwight is a moron.

Uh, no it's really not. Other than maybe Saric and (maybe) Holmes the rest of those guys project as borderline role players on decent teams, with very low floors.

Look the situation with Embiid and Simmons isn't their fault necessarily, but it's not like they have a ton of high-upside or developmental players on their team. It's one of things that strikes me about the 76ers, given they haven't really tried to play competitive basketball in 4 years.

Borderline role players on decent teams? Nah, I think most of them are, or will very likely develop into, solid role/rotation players in the NBA.

Covington is basically the glue for that team, and he's become a good defender and is typically the leading or 2nd highest scorer for the Sixers. He's the oldest of that group at 26.

TJ is 24, and in his 2nd season. He's averaging 6.4/3.0 R/6.2 Asts. Only 1.8 turnovers.

He's not a major scorer, but in terms of being a distributing PG to run the offense, he's pretty impressive. If Simmons comes back, he would probably become the 6th man for that team.

I think Saric, while he doesn't have franchise player upside, definitely has the tools to become an all star.

Holmes has impressed me, if only because of how many fucking centers the Sixers had...

That team is lacking a star, which hopefully, if Simmons and Embiid can't get healthy, would come from this draft. But as a core to work off of, it's impressive.

Actually wait, who am I kidding, how could I forget?

TJ McConnell is already in the pantheon of NBA GOATs, along with stars such as Dion Waiters, Yogi Ferrell, and Buddy Hield.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What does Terry rozier have on Danny? Seriously what the hell does he have over him that he keeps getting minutes.

I can't tell who deserves 6MOTY more, Gordon, especially for the beginning of the season, or Lou Williams, for those 40 pt game stretches + what he's doing right now

Marz

It's actually sort of impressive to think of the Sixers in the worst case scenario of Embiid and Simmons never again playing. Their roster ends up being:

TJ McConnell
Their draft pick this year, very likely some sort of guard or wing
Robert Covington
Dario Saric
Richaun Holmes

That's STILL a good roster to develop off of. They have a ton of young talent at multiple positions

Or they could go with Corey Joseph and Delon Wright, who have been doing a pretty decent job at stepping up to the occasion

I think Raptors can get the 3rd seed back. Of course, if the Bulls are their first round series, idk, but if the Cavs face the Wizards in the ECSF, and then the Raptors in the ECF (because 6'7'' DeRozan murders Boston), then I think it's fair to say that the Cavs will be facing more adversity than the past 2 years by far.

Lol I can't handle these hot takes. That's a terrible roster they better hope Simmons turns into a star or they have nothing to show for being trash for 8 years.

Lol I can't handle these hot takes. That's a terrible roster they better hope Simmons turns into a star or they have nothing to show for being trash for 8 years.

Anything else to substantiate that being a hot take?

That roster is sorely lacking in star power, yeah. It's also a worst case scenario for the Sixers, that only gets that bad if none of Simmons, Embiid, or the Sixers' pick(s) this year become stars.

Think of it like the Celtics last year. Very clearly lacking a star, but having a good coach, and players that understand the system and can surround any star that is acquired.

Yeah if you actually watch them on a regular basis you can see that they play very well together and have a really good system going. You add the star power to this core and you have a really solid team.

Yeah if you actually watch them on a regular basis you can see that they play very well together and have a really good system going. You add the star power to this core and you have a really solid team.

The ball movement on that team, for being so young, is really encouraging.

They'll be fine, and I wouldn't be surprised if embiid and Simmons being shut down doesn't have a lot to do with being cautious and tanking (which has the double benefit of helping their chances with the lakers picks)

It's funny, in a way, the Suns, Magic, Sixers, and Kings are all collaborating to try and screw over the lakers

spyder_ur

Think of it like the Celtics last year. Very clearly lacking a star, but having a good coach, and players that understand the system and can surround any star that is acquired.

With the obvious difference being that the celtics won 48 games last year.

I really do get your point, but without embiid and Simmons you're looking at very marginal NBA players.

Top Bottom