• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Hitta93

Banned
Jonathan Feigen‏ @Jonathan_Feigen 5m5 minutes ago

Sam Dekker broke his hand in that fourth quarter collision.

I thought when Sam went down it looked like he got kicked in the gut. Kill me now.

Dekker wasn't going to get much PT in the postseason as is.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
He shot a 3 in game a few months ago. He missed it.
I'm not really sure what the big deal was. It's not like it was Curry or Klay trying to add one to the stat sheet. It was fucking Javale McGee. Certainly no reason to push him for the foul.
he had to either shoot it or take the 24 second violation. and him shooting a very low risk, low percentage shot from the outside corner was probably preferable to a nasty dunk on someone inside.

Exactly. Probability of missing is very high, thought it was a fair and respectable play at home in front of your fans with the only other option being a turnover.

Fjordson

The JaVale three seemed innocent enough on its own, but I kinda get why the Wizards were upset overall. For some reason Kerr never took the starters out and Draymond was chasing that triple double hard despite being up 18.

Personally think all that "unwritten rule" shit is overblown, but pros care about all that (baseball is even more notorious for this) and it seems the Dubs broke a few of them.

Surfinn

The JaVale three seemed innocent enough on its own, but I kinda get why the Wizards were upset overall. For some reason Kerr never took the starters out and Draymond was chasing that triple double hard despite being up 18.

Personally think all that "unwritten rule" shit is overblown, but pros care about all that and it seems the Dubs broke a few of them.

Yeah I don't think it was anything malicious but still bad form IMO, given the context. Just one of those instances when something looks worse than it actually is. But nothing warrants pushing someone like that. Should a fine.

lol sportsmanship x unwritten rules
If you get your ass beat then just take the L or do better
Go to the gym to work on your game

Made me lol when the pats ran up the score in 2007
These guys get paid millions to play basketball

I'd flip my bat if I got a home run too

Fjordson

lol sportsmanship x unwritten rules
If you get your ass beat then just take the L or do better
Go to the gym to work on your game

Made me lol when the pats ran up the score in 2007
These guys get paid millions to play basketball

I'd flip my bat if I got a home run too
I mostly agree, but pros are dead serious about all that for whatever reason lol

Think baseball is definitely the most strict, it seems like there's dozens of guidelines and "rules" but basketball has some as well.

Personally think all that "unwritten rule" shit is overblown, but pros care about all that (baseball is even more notorious for this) and it seems the Dubs broke a few of them.

Kerr kept the starters in because the Wiz never let up, and we aren't gambling on losing the #1 seed. Had the Wiz sat their starters (I'm pretty sure they didn't) then Kerr would have sat his too.

Shoving McGee for taking a 3 over a turnover is some sore loser bullshit. What did they want him to do besides take the turnover? What was he supposed to do outside of taking a turnover?

Jacce

Banned
Kerr kept the starters in because the Wiz never let up, and we aren't gambling on losing the #1 seed. Had the Wiz sat their starters (I'm pretty sure they didn't) then Kerr would have sat his too.

Shoving McGee for taking a 3 over a turnover is some sore loser bullshit. What did they want him to do besides take the turnover? What was he supposed to do outside of taking a turnover?

He was supposed to take a turnover when it was at that point in the game. That is the tradition and the sportsman move. Jennings was 100% in the right here. I like McGee a lot but what he did was really unsportsmanlike like. You don't do that in basketball, be it high school, college, or the NBA. It's one of those unwritten rules that everyone follows back to when you play ball as a kid in AAU.

Ripenen

He was supposed to take a turnover when it was at that point in the game. That is the tradition and the sportsman move. Jennings was 100% in the right here. I like McGee a lot but what he did was really unsportsmanlike like. You don't do that in basketball, be it high school, college, or the NBA. It's one of those unwritten rules that everyone follows back to when you play ball as a kid in AAU.

So it's actually better to just hand your opponent the ball like, "here you go, you need this more than we do."?

Fjordson

Well Washington did sit their starters, it was actually the bench that made that late run. And when they cut it to 9 I can understand why Kerr had the starters in. But once it got down to like 2-3 minutes I remember GS being up by 15 or so and Kerr probably could have pulled the starters then.

Again, none of this personally offends me, I couldn't care less, but NBA players take stock of all this stuff,

Ripenen

Well Washington did sit their starters, it was actually the bench that made that late run. And when they cut it to 9 I can understand why Kerr had the starters in. But once it got down to like 2-3 minutes I remember GS being up by 15 or so and Kerr probably could have pulled the starters then.

Again, none of this personally offends me, I couldn't care less, but NBA players take stock of all this stuff,

NBA is my favorite pro sport by far but man do the players act like babies sometimes. Seems worse than any other sport with guys so fixated on their own stats, old players whining about new players, players complaining about fouls and even bashing their own teammates and coaches.

Maybe it's the entitlement that comes from playing on a smaller team and each player having a much bigger impact on the game?

Fjordson

NBA is my favorite pro sport by far but man do the players act like babies sometimes. Seems worse than any other sport with guys so fixated on their own stats, old players whining about new players, players complaining about fouls and even bashing their own teammates and coaches.

Maybe it's the entitlement that comes from playing on a smaller team and each player having a much bigger impact on the game?
There is a lot of that lately, it's annoying.

I think baseball is still king with that, though. You see full on fights break out and benches clear because some guy didn't drop his bat right.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hawks gonna keep on choking and miss the playoffs.

It's what this city does. Atlanta the worst city on all of sports.

I'm beginning to think Patrick Ewing may never win an NBA championship.

Being an assistant with the Hornets wasn't likely to get it done, but now he's going to be the head coach at Georgetown. I don't see it happening from there.

Jennings was 100% in the right here.
Hell no. He can be mad if he wants, but no way is he right for pushing JaVale in mid-air. Shit can lead to an injury. And this coming from the team that already sidelined Durant for weeks.

I think it was just the straw that broke the camel's back that started with the Ws blatantly trying to get Draymond his trip-dub with the game pretty much decided already. Kerr even called a timeout to draw-up a pick-n-roll with Steph to get Draymond a bucket. Wiz were actually double-teaming Draymond. Who does that? Obviously Wiz were actively trying to prevent Dray getting his trip-dub, and failed. So they were already pissed when JaVale launched that 3.

And to comment about earlier posts regarding local announcers, I love JB but Fitz is frequently grating. Dude is a total homer, and I don't know why he has an infatuation with always telling everyone what a tough guy David West is. It's not even within the context of the game. He just randomly talks about it when David West is in the game. "There are real tough dudes, and there are fake tough dudes. And David West is a real tough dude!" Umm, okay?

Fjordson

And to comment about earlier posts regarding local announcers, I love JB but Fitz is frequently grating. Dude is a total homer, and I don't know why he has an infatuation with always telling everyone what a tough guy David West is. It's not even within the context of the game. He just randomly talks about it when David West is in the game. "There are real tough dudes, and there are fake tough dudes. And David West is a real tough dude!" Umm, okay?
He went on and on about the David West thing for like two whole minutes lmao.

JB is great. Think he does a pretty good job analyzing and his anecdotes from his time in the league are often great. I also like that he's fairly low key. Fitz by comparison is just this way overboard, massive personality and is the biggest homer ever.

cHaotix8

I think the whole JaVale thing was a dumb overreaction. Fuck the turnover, Wizards should be more angry that they lost than they were with a guy chucking up a three at the end of the shot clock. The foul was unnecessary and Jennings just comes off as a sore loser.

RedAssedApe

Banned
There is a lot of that lately, it's annoying.

I think baseball is still king with that, though. You see full on fights break out and benches clear because some guy didn't drop his bat right.

yeah the whole retaliation thing in baseball is so fucking dumb.

oh shit someone hit a homerun and flipped his bat. next time he's up he deserves a fastball to the back...wtf lol

Every year I get sort of excited on Monday afternoon to watch the NCAA title game but then I remember that college basketball is sort of terrible to watch so maybe I'll just wait and tune in to the last 2 minutes.

Every year I get sort of excited on Monday afternoon to watch the NCAA title game but then I remember that college basketball is sort of terrible to watch so maybe I'll just wait and tune in to the last 2 minutes.

South Carolina was fun to watch this year, the rest of it was meh.

It's funny, offense focused teams just make me wish I was watching the NBA, but NCAA teams that focus on more flowing defenses are actually more fun to watch

TTG

Is that why there are no nba games on today? That's alright, I can use a break after last week's Warrior demolition.

Same here but then I'll forget about the game and have to read about it wednesday.

Trey

Nobody reasonable or rational cares about a last second shot attempt of no consequence in a blowout. It's on the same level as shooting a practice/goofing off shot immediately after the whistle.

Wait what? I see people shoot it more often than not in those situations. Players rarely ever take the TO.

Line_HTX

Tournament fucking sucks and the games always suck at the end. Even if there were good games they get ruined by horrific and beyond shitty final possessions with the stupidest shot attempts. God, CBB is just pure trash period.

Sumidor

Wait what? I see people shoot it more often than not in those situations. Players rarely ever take the TO.

I see players almost always taking the turnovers. The last time I saw a player take a shot at the end was like 4-5 years ago. Granted, I don't watch every single game, but I do watch a fair number of games.

Personally I think it's stupid for players to get mad about it though.

beat

People are straight making up these blowout "unwritten rules".

At the bottom of this game's Explain One Play (admittedly a Warriors centric site), you'll see a supercut of Wizards shooting threes in the exact same situation: they're up big late in the game but it's coming to the end of the shot clock. Three such cases just in 2017 alone.

I will happily apologize if at any point within a day after those games, the Wizards apologized for breaking the unwritten rules of NBA blowouts.

finowns

At the bottom of this game's Explain One Play (admittedly a Warriors centric site), you'll see a supercut of Wizards shooting threes in the exact same situation: they're up big late in the game but it's coming to the end of the shot clock. Three such cases just in 2017 alone.

I will happily apologize if at any point within a day after those games, the Wizards apologized for breaking the unwritten rules of NBA blowouts.

https://youtu.be/zC0TPNgFW8Y

Yep. These people are idiots.

I'm short cutting it for the lazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC0TPNgFW8Y

And, the cherry on top is my super cut of the late three-pointers the Wizards took in 2017 alone, when up by more than 20 points with less than 10 seconds to go. People in glass houses shouldn't shove flagrantly.

Warrior are under a microscope, Wizards are irrelevant. Pretty much the end to the explanation as to why people make even a small fuss about something so stupid and insignificant.

mashoutposse

Ante Up

JaVale taking a 3 is statistically not much different than a turnover. If it had gone in, it would have literally been the second of his career.

Top Bottom