• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

This is what I am assuming. It doesn't really matter though. Because Boston is going to crush brooklyn tomorrow. Cavs have to play the heat and the raps. Toronto already knows they are secured in 3rd. The way the seeding pans out is whether the Cavs beat the Heat. Tornto is going to sit everyone in that game agaist the cavs no matter what.

Raps are better equiped to handle the cavs this year. I still dont wanna watch the match up until the eastern conference finals though.

You don't think the Raps will play for 2nd seed by securing a win against the Cavs?
assuming the Celts lose against the Nets, and the Cavs lose to the Heat.

at least he has a whole Qtr+ to force an assist this time.
Hopefully it's not to Adams who refused to shoot. LOL

This OKC game looks like it's gonna come down to either WB forcing a tripdub assist for the record, or WB actually trying to win this game.
If he tries to actually win, he might get his tripdub in the process... not sure which way he goes at this point. Game looks bleak for OKC.

rBdtY6c.gif

GOAT-tier gif.

hoping the Heat can pull out this Cavs win, they're on a back to back and their starters just played 40+ minutes. Wizards are probably going to sit since they're locked in at #4.

Just need the Bulls and/or Pacers to drop one.

I don't fully believe in the "coasting" or "playoff switch" stuff, but I guess the one thing that may help Cleveland in the postseason is that rotations shorten and with their dependence on Lebron and the starters that'll help them.

Right now though they look like one of Lebron's worst teams in years. Since before Miami.

Kyrie has had two overtimes where lebron fouls out and he takes over, so that seems like a decent sign. But when he ISOs in the middle of a game, it can be annoying to see.

I wonder if Love can transition to getting minutes at the 5. He's a really good rebounder, fundamental, knows how to position himself. Do that, put Lebron at the 4, RJ at the 3, JR/Shumpert at the 2, Kyrie at the 1.

The Cavs looked great this season early on when JR was playing great defense and Love was incredibly hot shooting and rebounding. Kyrie seems more likely to take over games as the 2nd option, but it feels like when Love is the 2nd best option in the game, that's when the Cavs look scary.

Tristan Thompson can be a monster against the Warriors, Celtics, Hawks when Horford was their center, etc when it comes to offensive rebounds. But when it comes to securing defensive boards, and protecting the paint, they seem to rely on a mix of TT+Love+Lebron. Love is a great rebounder, so it doesn't always hurt them, but it can easily do so.

I don't know why Derrick Williams isn't getting minutes. Before you laugh at that name, actually watch the games he's had with Lebron. He's athletic, not as good of a shot, but brings energy off the bench, plays defense. Cavs had a nice lineup of Lebron, Derrick Williams, Richard Jefferson, Kyle Korver, and Channing Frye (replace with Love now that he's back). It was surprisingly good for running across the court, playing alot in transition, etc.

You don't think the Raps will play for 2nd seed by securing a win against the Cavs?
assuming the Celts lose against the Nets, and the Cavs lose to the Heat.

if they cavs and celtics lose then its's conceivable but the raps are in a weird position because they don't want to play Cleveland in the second round (if they get past the first, this is the raps we are talking about) so they really don't have to try and win. So many ifs. I don't have any real belief the nets will beat the celtics though.

I didn't say the Warriors would lose, just that the Trailblazers have potential to give the Warriors a hard first round, whereas the Nuggets might be a little easier.

Dame and CJ are good scorers, and if they happen to click when we happen to go cold, it could be a problem. Last year they gave us a good series. it was only a 5 game series (i think) but they seemed capable of going longer.

Now that I think about it, the Blazers made for a fun series. Brought the best out of the Warriors. besides, travelling to Portand once will be an easier route to take :p
dude it's gonna be a sweep, cut out the fake modesty. Last year it wasn't a sweep because Curry was injured. That series is primed for a very fun, high scoring (from both teams) sweep. Nurkic is coming back right as PS starts or might even miss that, which will hurt them on a monumental level.
giphy.gif

dude it's gonna be a sweep, cut out the fake modesty. Last year it wasn't a sweep because Curry was injured. That series is primed for a very fun, high scoring (from both teams) sweep. Nurkic is coming back right as PS starts or might even miss that, which will hurt them on a monumental level.

I did mention traveling to Portland once would be an easier road trip. That implies 4 games.

But right now I'm waiting to see how the Ref assist triggers in these final seconds of the OKC game.

that buzzer beater was clutch AF, but the ref assist for the flagrant + tech, got them the extra point and the ball back.

But 8th seed is secured for Portland, so at least the Warriors know who they'll be playing.

The allure of the triple double is huge but after digging through some advanced statistics frankly I think Harden is the better choice. Kawhi even has a strong case if we cared about defense in these awards.

The allure of the triple double is huge but after digging through some advanced statistics frankly I think Harden is the better choice. Kawhi even has a strong case if we cared about defense in these awards.

There are basically at a minimum 4 guys who are hugely deserving and great cases could be made for any of them (that don't require stupid narratives like "Triple Double!"). People need to stop acting like it'd be a robbery if X player didn't get it.

El Topo

LeBron, Harden, Kahwi, Westbrook. You could make a case for each of them. Realistically it should boil down to Harden vs. Westbrook.

There are basically at a minimum 4 guys who are hugely deserving and great cases could be made for any of them (that don't require stupid narratives like "Triple Double!"). People need to stop acting like it'd be a robbery if X player didn't get it.

Lebron, Harden, Kawhi, Westbrook?

I mean, we are never giving Lebron another MVP so it doesn't really matter what numbers he produces :p

I don't fully believe in the "coasting" or "playoff switch" stuff, but I guess the one thing that may help Cleveland in the postseason is that rotations shorten and with their dependence on Lebron and the starters that'll help them.

Right now though they look like one of Lebron's worst teams in years. Since before Miami.

It's alright, they just signed 36 year old Dahntay Jones. There's no doubt this young, athletic chap will be flying around the court making all the right and quick defensive rotations if called upon during the playoffs.

Westbrook has it locked.

Y'all in denial.

Harden brought a worse team to 56 wins in 2015, due to all the injuries.

I seriously considered Westbrook for MVP, but the baseline I set was 50 wins, or 5th seed. 4th seed for him to get serious consideration.

I was seeing posts going into the all-star break about the Thunder having one of easiest schedules in the league to close out the season, so no, I'm not impressed by 45 wins.

Besides, this year has a really obvious analogue: 2006 race anybody?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2006.html

Kobe got his team to 46 wins with 35/5/3 on .450/.347.850 splits. He got 6th seed for his team. He ended up 4th in MVP voting, behind:

1) Steve Nash: 18.8/4.2/10.5, 50/40/90 season, 3nd seed, 54 wins
2) Lebron: 31/7/6.6/1.6/0.8, 50 wins, 2nd seed
3) Dirk (easily the person who ACTUALLY got snubbed, and Nash probably deserved it in 2007 over Dirk):
26/9/2.8/0.7/1.0, 60 wins, 2nd seed.

I mean, Kobe and Lebron had arguably worse supporting casts.

And how the hell does that not line up perfectly for everyone? Steve Nash in a D'Antoni coached team, 54 wins, 3rd seed, playing Kobe, carrying his team. That Suns team had players like Boris Diaw, Barbosa, Bell, and Shawn Marion.

I mean, it's such a perfect analogue, except Harden is also carrying his team like crazy.

It's alright, they just signed 36 year old Dahntay Jones. There's no doubt this young, athletic chap will be flying around the court making all the right and quick defensive rotations if called upon during the playoffs.

So no Varejao?

I was hoping to see Varejao win 2 different rings 2 years in a row while being an active participant on the opposing losing team. That would surely be an NBA 1st.

Why does Kawhi have to be 1st seed for a case and Westbrook gets it with 6th?

Nah, pretty sure he's a fellow Rockets fan, saying Harden for MVP.

Honestly, it's weird, but while I would probably put Westbrook over Kawhi for 2nd place, I'm not sure I put Westbrook over Kawhi for 1st place if Harden didn't exist

Lottery without him.

The MVP isn't going to be a player who you woud be surprised to see in conference finals

Give MVP to Westbrook, I don't have numbers to refute my feelings. I clicked a Reddit video labeled "proof" of stat padding but couldn't get past the first sentence cause the voice over was some Edward Snowden nasal voice sounding bitch nerd.

Westbrook MVP.

Top Bottom