• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

LionPride

Banned
Oh they only have two of the best young players in the league?

Surrounded by jack shit but a streaky Rubio and a streaky Shabazz fucking Muhammed

Who else do we have.

Having two players put 40 and we still lose to the fucking Lakers? Team bad. Having a top 3 Center and a top 15/10 SF can only go so far.

Plus Wiggins would be a better SG, I have no attachment to Lavine whatsoever.

This logic would mean a team with Kevin Durant and Steph Curry would be great, and we all know what the reality of that is.

They couldn't even get to 73 wins. But it's understandable when they have to carry scrubs like Klay, Draymond, Iggy, and Livingston along for the ride. Not even Lebron could thrive on a team that void of any talent.

Mortemis

Banned
They couldn't even get to 73 wins. But it's understandable when they have to carry scrubs like Klay, Draymond, Iggy, and Livingston along for the ride. Not even Lebron could thrive on a team that void of any talent.

Do you know they matched their number of losses from last year all the way back in February? Trash.

Do you know they matched their number of losses from last year all the way back in February? Trash.

That kind of stress is exactly why Curry is in such a slump and couldn't even sniff at 400 3pointers this year. Neither KD nor Curry being mentioned in the MVP race either. The whole team has become trash this year.

WTF....do you just show up around playoffs, LOL.

they are 11/13 of their last 24 games
10/12 since March 1st

They are currently less that a .500 team in that time frame. Not a good look heading into the Playoffs, especially when they are in contention for the #1 seed right now, and everyone is still waiting on them to flip some magical switch, but they are still struggling.

LionPride

Banned
Cavs are gonna be an interesting team in the playoffs. Will they be like "Playoff Tony Parker" AKA a thing that doesn't exist or will they actually be "Playoff Rondo" AKA a very real and scary thing

A. I think tomorrow might determine MVP. Rockets are going to be at the Clippers on TNT.

B. I want to see all three of the Celtics, Raptors, and Wizards to make it to the 2nd round, especially because two of the three facing off would be really funny with their rivalries this year, but at the same time, I can see any of the Bucks, Pacers, Hawks, Bulls, or Heat upsetting one of them.

they are 11/13 of their last 24 games
10/12 since March 1st

They are currently less that a .500 team in that time frame. Not a good look heading into the Playoffs, especially when they are in contention for the #1 seed right now, and everyone is still waiting on them to flip some magical switch, but they are still struggling.

It's Bam Bam though. Even if true, it's a case of "even a broken clock is right twice a day"

FZZ

Banned
also

FUCK THE LAKERS

Lonzo is going to be a perennial player and the face of the league and we're going to be stuck with fucking Julius Randle on a 250 million dollar contract

Meaningless question but if Russell gets mvp, would it be the first time a player who didn't start on the All Star Game get the award?

steve nash 2005
karl malone 1996
david robinson 1995
moses malone 1982
moses malone 1979
kareem abdul-jabbar 1974
wes unseld 1969
bob pettit 1956

and that's as far back as the mvp award goes

People are overrating Lonzo and that's going to suck for him, because he's going to struggle early on in his career.

I think he would flourish in Phoenix, because his role would be to distribute between Booker, Chriss, Bender, Warren, etc. He has a pass-first guard (who can score) to learn from in Ulis, two vet guards in Bledsoe and Knight, and Tyson Chandler to set screens for him. He wouldn't demand as much attention, could focus on distributing

also, maybe this works out better for the lakers? They get a star big man next year?

I love the Lakers but man

of all the times to go on a four game winning streak...ugh

Fuck the Celtics tho

and Fuck Paul Pierce

Lakers may win ten more games than least year.

I don't know, I will just remain optimistic even if we lose the pick. Can't get anything less than excited about the Lakers, fan till I die.

Tubobutts

Don't worry I ran the numbers and everything is going to work out fine.
ClTaC7P.jpg

random25

People are overrating Lonzo and that's going to suck for him, because he's going to struggle early on in his career.

His dad already oversold his potential early on.

I don't think Lonzo will struggle early on. Modern NBA has been pretty accommodating to rookie point guards. The question is how special of a player Lonzo really is.

I love the Lakers but man

of all the times to go on a four game winning streak...ugh

Fuck the Celtics tho

and Fuck Paul Pierce

I was hot over the win too...till I heard what happened the DeAngelo's grandmother.

I think there is an inherent problem with a system that encourages rooting against your favorite team in order to get some gain afterward. Adam Silver needs to fix this broken system.

Ugh.

random25

I was hot over the win too...till I heard what happened the DeAngelo's grandmother.

I think there is an inherent problem with a system that encourages rooting against your favorite team in order to get some gain afterward. Adam Silver needs to fix this broken system.

Ugh.

That's why it's a lottery.

Breaking news
CP3 is trash too and the Lakers wouldn't have won anything had they not lost him.

Lakers had a free chance at rebuilding but spent $$$$$$ on Deng x Mozgawd

LionPride

Banned
Breaking news
CP3 is trash too and the Lakers wouldn't have won anything had they not lost him.

Lakers had a free chance at rebuilding but spent $$$$$$ on Deng x Mozgawd
#VeteranPresence
Skal baffles me. How did no team take a chance with him? How many picks did the celtics have in the 1st round again?
His stock tanked because Cal tried making him Shaq in the post when he's a face up big. First game he played post Boogie trade he had a double double I think. Drains jump shots with that beautiful stroke.

My philosophy for teams in the mid lottery now, don't know who to pick? Draft some !8/19 year old with a 7'2 wingspan. Can't fail.

That's why it's a lottery.

It's a flawed system that encourages rooting for your team to be really bad if they are below the cut line for doing well. I like the idea floated about the bottom 8 teams playing in a mini 1 and done tournament to see who will win the number one pick.

An active lottery that doesn't really encourage tanking because seeding doesn't actually matter as much in an elite 8 tournament. I don't know if that is the answer but I know it is stupid af to have to root for your team to fail.

It's a flawed system that encourages rooting for your team to be really bad if they are below the cut line for doing well. I like the idea floated about the bottom 8 teams playing in a mini 1 and done tournament to see who will win the number one pick.

An active lottery that doesn't really encourage tanking because seeding doesn't actually matter as much in an elite 8 tournament. I don't know if that is the answer but I know it is stupid af to have to root for your team to fail.

Wouldn't that end up with middling teams getting good picks and truly bad teams stuck getting shit?

Wouldn't that end up with middling teams getting good picks and truly bad teams stuck getting shit?

Again, I said I don't know if it is the answer or how it would be tweaked but I know rooting for your team to fail is counter-intuitive. Maybe you're playing for lottery balls but there is some excitement associated from it all? I don't know... Haven't tought too deep about it.

That is something that needs to be addressed.

random25

I dunno if that's a good idea. A team that was so bad that it ended up with the worst record, then goes into a one and done tournament that is still not up to par with the other teams and loses their right to a top pick, will remain mediocre at best forever.

If a team like the 2008 Bulls that didn't tank still ended up getting the #1 pick to select Derrick Rose, then I think the current system is still the best way to go. If anything, just tweak the %chance in the lottery system.

Ay, so if Philly ends up with a Guard who can shoot such as Markelle or Malik, and Simmons is actually good and Joel plays over half the season, they may make it to the 6th seed right?

In a hypothetical world where they could actually have their guys healthy and playing most of the season, adding another one or two lottery picks, I don't have much doubt that they can jump to being a 45+ win team which is good enough for fighting around the 4/5 seed. But, it's the Sixers so everyone's knees will explode and they'll win like 33.

I dunno if that's a good idea. A team that was so bad that it ended up with the worst record, then goes into a one and done tournament that is still not up to par with the other teams and loses their right to a top pick, will remain mediocre at best forever.

If a team like the 2008 Bulls that didn't tank still ended up getting the #1 pick to select Derrick Rose, then I think the current system is still the best way to go. If anything, just tweak the %chance in the lottery system.

I agreed above that it is probably not the best idea as presented. Needs tweaking but I know that the current system makes me root against my own team which is inherently flawed.

pislit

I don't think Lonzo will struggle early on. Modern NBA has been pretty accommodating to rookie point guards. The question is how special of a player Lonzo really is.

Even if he's special, good luck with having dame, kemba, steph, westbrook, kyrie, lowry, IT, wall, bledsoe, consistent rubio, deangelo russel, playoff rondo, playoff parker, healthy derrick rose , giannis, (plus the >>>>>michael jordan expectations) in the league

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Even if he's special, good luck with having dame, kemba, steph, westbrook, kyrie, lowry, IT, wall, bledsoe, consistent rubio, deangelo russel, playoff rondo, playoff parker, healthy derrick rose , giannis, (plus the >>>>>michael jordan expectations) in the league

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Boogs31

I've got an idea for lottery/playoff reform.

Top 14 records in the NBA get an automatic spot in the playoffs.

Team with 15th best record hosts team with 18th best record. Team with 16th best record hosts team with 17th best record. Winner of those single elimination games make the playoffs. Losers of the games get 13th and 14th picks.

That leaves 12 teams for the lottery. Then you split the lottery into two 6 team groups. Teams 7 thru 12 play in single elimination tournament with teams 7 and 8 getting first round bye. Winner of tournament gets 7th pick, 2nd place gets 8th and so on.

Then you do the same single elimination tournament with teams 1 thru 6 with teams 1 and 2 getting first round bye. Winner of tournament gets number 1 pick and so on.

This would give two extra teams a shot at the playoffs, two less teams in the lottery, prevent a near playoff team from getting first pick and it would give less of an incentive to tank.

pislit

I've got an idea for lottery/playoff reform.

Top 14 records in the NBA get an automatic spot in the playoffs.

Team with 15th best record hosts team with 18th best record. Team with 16th best record hosts team with 17th best record. Winner of those single elimination games make the playoffs. Losers of the games get 13th and 14th picks.

That leaves 12 teams for the lottery. Then you split the lottery into two 6 team groups. Teams 7 thru 12 play in single elimination tournament with teams 7 and 8 getting first round bye. Winner of tournament gets 7th pick, 2nd place gets 8th and so on.

Then you do the same single elimination tournament with teams 1 thru 6 with teams 1 and 2 getting first round bye. Winner of tournament gets number 1 pick and so on.

This would give two extra teams a shot at the playoffs, two less teams in the lottery, prevent a near playoff team from getting first pick and it would give less of an incentive to tank.

Eight seed on both conferences is a one-game sudden death between the 8th and 9th (with the 8th HC), back-to-back G1 against the first seed. The rest of the non-qualifying teams have equal chance at number 1, then the first and second worst teams get the 2nd and 3rd (toss coin) if they either of them do not get the first pick. If the worst team gets the number 1 pick, the second pick is the second worst. The second worst team get the number 1 pick, the worst team will get the second pick.

MY IDEA IS BETTER. loljk.

But yeah, this tanking thing aint cute anymore.

Top Bottom