• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Boogs31

Eight seed on both conferences is a one-game sudden death between the 8th and 9th (with the 8th HC), back-to-back G1 against the first seed. The rest of the non-qualifying teams have equal chance at number 1, then the first and second worst teams get the 2nd and 3rd (toss coin) if they either of them do not get the first pick. If the worst team gets the number 1 pick, the second pick is the second worst. The second worst team get the number 1 pick, the worst team will get the second pick.

MY IDEA IS BETTER. loljk.

But yeah, this tanking thing aint cute anymore.

I think you said the same thing I did about the four 8 and 9 seeds playing to make the final 2 playoff spots. But you said remaining 10 teams when there would be 12 right? 18 teams in playoffs and or play in games with 30 teams total would leave 12 leftover.

The main thing we seem to disagree about is the idea that a team that's got the 10th worst record should have any shot at the top pick in the draft.

pislit

I think you said the same thing I did about the four 8 and 9 seeds playing to make the final 2 playoff spots. But you said remaining 10 teams when there would be 12 right? 18 teams in playoffs and or play in games with 30 teams total would leave 12 leftover.

The main thing we seem to disagree about is the idea that a team that's got the 10th worst record should have any shot at the top pick in the draft.

yah my math was off that moment hhahahhaha

my problem with your idea is that tournament for the number 1 pick will also be a tankathon. this time players will tank, no player would want to have their team draft a player that would make them dispensable. i think.

Boogs31

yah my math was off that moment hhahahhaha

my problem with your idea is that tournament for the number 1 pick will also be a tankathon. this time players will tank, no player would want to have their team draft a player that would make them dispensable. i think.

Ya it's really difficult to find any method that gets rid of tanking altogether.

Two Words

Cavs are gonna be an interesting team in the playoffs. Will they be like "Playoff Tony Parker" AKA a thing that doesn't exist or will they actually be "Playoff Rondo" AKA a very real and scary thing
images

Jacce

Banned
Again, I said I don't know if it is the answer or how it would be tweaked but I know rooting for your team to fail is counter-intuitive. Maybe you're playing for lottery balls but there is some excitement associated from it all? I don't know... Haven't tought too deep about it.

That is something that needs to be addressed.

Oh my, this would destroy the league. It would be a complete disaster. You can't punish teams for being bad like that. They will never have a chance to get better. A bad team losing the ability to get a top pick stays bad, a bad team doesn't get good free agents. You would damn bad teams to hell for decades. There is a reason why virtually every major sports league gives the worst teams the best draft picks.

You can tweak around the margins, like the % of draft balls. So say the worst team has the most draft balls but the difference between say 1 and 5 in amount is smaller than it is today. Or increase the amount of spots in the lottery part of the first round being actual lottery outside of just the top 3 spots. But the worst teams need better odds in the draft to maintain league stability.

Or else every non-elite team will be mired in years of terrible basketball like the Brooklyn Nets. Instead of one Nets team we would have like 15 of them. That would be a mess.

FZZ

Banned
Other than the 3 point shooting fould Bron committed

the entire ordeal wasn't really his fault lmao

the cavs collapsed and Lue doesn't fucking know how to utilize his players and lower the minutes for his starters

he's clueless

Sanjuro

He might be afraid of the Heat and trying to give the Celtics the conference. 🤔

...but he is playing 45+ minutes in a regular season game. 🤔

Line_HTX

"I thought winning is what this is about. Period."

I love how the media is making a huge push for Russell, like the biggest push I've ever seen. Guess they don't value wins like Harden does.

Tom Penny

He might be afraid of the Heat and trying to give the Celtics the conference. 🤔

...but he is playing 45+ minutes in a regular season game. 🤔
Lue showing LeBron who the boss is telling him to suck it up and play big minutes.
Cavs game today is back to back, against the Heat at their home court. Cavs lose and Celtics take the #1 seed.
Celtics beating the Nets is not a given..

Boogs31

Other than the 3 point shooting fould Bron committed

the entire ordeal wasn't really his fault lmao

the cavs collapsed and Lue doesn't fucking know how to utilize his players and lower the minutes for his starters

he's clueless

Did you forget about the five second violation where he was the inbounder?

Boogs31

I've never heard a PA announcer more amped than the Hawks guy after Millsap hit the shot to send the game to overtime. He yells, "WAIT A MINUTE! WAIT A MINUTE! ALL THE WAY BACK! WE CAME ALL THE WAY BACK! Hahaha

hot take: The Pelicans Blazers will give the Warriors a long series. 6 games imo

I'm a Blazers fan, but let's be realistic here; I'd be content if they make things look competitive for 6 QUARTERS. Even if Nurkic gets back in time for the playoffs, recovering from an injury tends to throw off your game, and the last place you want to re-acclimate is against the best team in the league. And the Blazers are still a defensive sieve going against a team where basically every single person on the floor can shoot lights out from anywhere. It's a tough matchup.

Then again, two months ago I'd completely written the out of the playoff hunt, so what do I know?

Tom Penny

For one its the Nets, two its at home, and three they've had two days of rest.
I'm assuming your have watched the Celtics play the last two weeks and the mediocrity they are displaying. They blew a 19 point in a quarter last game and barely won. They also had rest agsinst the Cavs who were on a back to back and got humiliated then laid an egg against ATL.

Gigglepoo

"I thought winning is what this is about. Period."

I love how the media is making a huge push for Russell, like the biggest push I've ever seen. Guess they don't value wins like Harden does.

Do three seeds win MVP? If wins are what matter, MVP should go to Leonard or someone from Golden State.

cHaotix8

Warriors in 5 at most against Portland. No/recovering from injury Nurkic? Come on now.

I like Toronto coming out of the East. Cavs have the hardest road they've faced in a long time this season and their teamwork has been abysmal since March.

Boogs31

Do three seeds win MVP? If wins are what matter, MVP should go to Leonard or someone from Golden State.

They're going to win 55 maybe 56 games. If Houston were in the East they would be the 1 seed. Both San Antonio and Golden State have multiple all star caliber players. Harden has led his team to the third best record in the NBA with a roster full of role players. What matters is how many wins a player is worth. With an average player at Harden's position in his place the Rockets probably win 30 games. So he's worth 25, 26 wins. I don't think anyone on San Antonio or Golden State increases their teams win total that drastically.

Tall4Life

I'm assuming your have watched the Celtics play the last two weeks and the mediocrity they are displaying. They blew a 19 point in a quarter last game and barely won. They also had rest agsinst the Cavs who were on a back to back and got humiliated then laid an egg against ATL.

I for one believe in my Celtic

Fjordson

Well this is interesting. Lue is going to rest Lebron, Kyrie and Love tonight against Miami. So Boston moves ahead if they win and Cleveland loses.

Cavs make no sense, though. They'll probably win somehow without the big 3.

Well this is interesting. Lue is going to rest Lebron, Kyrie and Love tonight against Miami. So Boston moves ahead if they win and Cleveland loses.

Lue and the rest of the coaching staff have done a piss poor job managing the starters' minutes.

Chase17

Thompson too.

Seems like a perfect chance for the C's to lose to the Nets

Fjordson

The key is that second round matchup. I almost wonder if Washington would be tougher for Cleveland than Toronto, despite being the lower seed.

I guess you can't really judge Toronto yet, though. Haven't had Ibaka and healthy Lowry in the lineup together much.

Tom Penny

Seed doesn't matter. Took Lue only 80 games to come to that assessment lol.
bread you aren't believing in our C's
I believe they should win a round or its a failure. Other than that I have no expectations. Land Fultz or Josh Jackson or trade the pick.

If the Cavs lose tonight and Toronto beat them in the final game of the season, Cleveland will end up with the 3rd seed, won't they? I know the regular season "doesn't matter", but that is a shit job all around by coach Lue.

Cavs have record over them I think

Raps clinched 3rd seed they can't go higher or lower

Cavs have already beat Raptors 3 times so they can't drop to 3 seed.

My bad, but still that's a questionable at best job by Lue. If they were going to rest the starters anyway, why the fuck are they playing so many minutes? If you're going to punt the regular season, wearing down your players before doing so kind of defeats that purpose.

Ronin Ray

They're going to win 55 maybe 56 games. If Houston were in the East they would be the 1 seed. Both San Antonio and Golden State have multiple all star caliber players. Harden has led his team to the third best record in the NBA with a roster full of role players. What matters is how many wins a player is worth. With an average player at Harden's position in his place the Rockets probably win 30 games. So he's worth 25, 26 wins. I don't think anyone on San Antonio or Golden State increases their teams win total that drastically.

What all star does San Antonio outside of Lenoard? People this year think the spurs roster is really good and it's not. Lenoard is carrying the team hands down. L.A has not been an all star this year and is very inconsistent. No one else on the team is even close . Washed Parker? Old man gasol who plays no defense? I am spurs fan but I would be shocked if we make it out of the second round. They need better talent around Lenoard. Some of the young players look promising but they're not ready

Ripenen

My bad, but still that's a questionable at best job by Lue. If they were going to rest the starters anyway, why the fuck are they playing so many minutes? If you're going to punt the regular season, wearing down your players before doing so kind of defeats that purpose.

LeBron at least has been playing heavy minutes his whole career. That probably won't ever change. Plus every time he sits games he has to deal with a bunch of reporters in his face asking about it, so it's probably less stress for him to just play.

If Celtics and Cavs lose out and the Raptors win out (Toronto and Cleveland's last games are against each other), then Cleveland gets 1st seed, Toronto 2nd, and Boston 3rd.

I'm glad Cleveland is resting, if Miami doesn't get to the playoffs I'm gonna be sad. I wanna see playoff Dion

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/04/10/stephen-curry-book-excerpt-ankle-injury-mark-jackson

Ferkel couldn’t have known without cutting the ankle open. So Curry went into surgery not knowing if he was done with basketball. Or if he would be facing soul-challenging rehabilitation to try to salvage his career on a reconstructed ankle. Complications are always a possibility. Many potentially Hall of Fame–bound players, from Grant Hill to Penny Hardaway, are proof.

But when Curry returned to consciousness, he got the best news possible. All Ferkel had had to do was clean out debris. This was a relatively minor procedure and an incredible outcome. Curry just needed time to heal, more rehabilitation, and he would be ready for training camp. And his motivation was at an all-time high.

Curry recovered from surgery in time for training camp. But Jackson brought him along slowly, holding him out of the first preseason game and playing him sparingly in the second. He’d finally gotten up to his normal minutes when a freak accident led to another sprained ankle.

Two days later, several Warriors accepted Jackson’s invitation to attend his congregation. Jackson was the co-pastor of True Love Worship Center International in Van Nuys.

A part of the tradition at Jackson’s church was a spirited service including worshippers jogging along the walls of the congregation in praise. Curry, two days removed from his latest sprain, found himself taking laps with Jackson and the other members filled with the spirit. Then after Jackson’s sermon, his wife and co-pastor, Desiree, continued the worship with an impromptu sermon and benediction. She also called Curry to the altar.

They took off his shoes and socks, anointed his ankle with oil and prayed for healing. The parishioners lifted their voices in chants and amens, calling on God to bless one of His Christian ambassadors. Service at Jackson’s church was much more passionate and engaging than Curry was used to back in Charlotte. But he humbly accepted the blessing that was being offered and returned to his seat with a smile on his face.

“Where you going?” Desiree asked the star point guard in front of the congregation. Curry responded with his go-to look of bewilderment, a half smile and widened eyes. He thought he was supposed to return back among the flock when she was done.

“You don’t get a blessing from the Lord and just walk off!” she shouted. “Show us you believe in the power of God.”

It took Curry a second to understand what she meant. Then the old Bible stories rushed to his mind. Like when Jesus healed the lame man at the Pool of Bethesda, that man had to pick up his mat and walk. If he believed he was healed, he needed to show it.

So Curry started shimmying and hopping on his right foot, much to the delight of the congregation.

“I didn’t know what else to do,” Curry said.

ZlAkoaL.png

Imagine if Curry aggravated or worsened that injury during the service.

Top Bottom