• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Fjordson

I think Kawhi will win it. I don't think Westbrook, Harden or Lillard will win enough games.

Unless Westbrook averages like a triple double or something and the media just can't ignore him.

Also, saw this on twitter: 7 of the 8 worst defenses thus far in the NBA have new coaches - the other is the Warriors.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
14676718_237604169991749_4076717295903178752_n.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I swear this would be hilarious if the Cleveland Indians blew another 3-1 series lead in the World Series.

Eh, Indians are the huge underdog. Nobody expected them to even get out of the first round. Quite a bit different from the "best team ever" blowing it.

You don't just throw away 108 years of beautiful tradition. I mean, look at Boston. 2004, they ruined an 86 year streak. Are they happy? Maybe for a brief period, but now they expect to win the thing every year. 12 years ago, they were hoping for just one! If only they knew what they had. They're turning into Lakers fans (hideous). LyleLanley is a shell of his former self.

Go Cleveland. If you say otherwise, you're killing Lyle.

That's all that matters. If you want to say he's been great yeah go ahead. But we shouldn't even say the words MVP until November is over.
He had that average for like a month and a half when he got salty at not being an all star. The league is stacked with talent at the moment though, part of the reason we're getting like 6-7 MVP shouts from players having monster games.

What guys like Lillard or Westbrook are going to have going against them is that historically the MVP goes to a guy on a great team. If you potentially have LeBron or Kahwi putting up big numbers for teams with win totals in the high 50s/low 60s it's hard for anyone else to sniff the award.

jman2050

What guys like Lillard or Westbrook are going to have going against them is that historically the MVP goes to a guy on a great team. If you potentially have LeBron or Kahwi putting up big numbers for teams with win totals in the high 50s/low 60s it's hard for anyone else to sniff the award.

Yeah this is where I'm at. If Russell can actually maintain numbers like these through the whole season then he can win it no matter how bad his team ends up being, but that's a tall order.

Lebron and Kawhi are the safest bets to garner MVP votes assuming Durant/Curry split the vote like I expect them to.

Fjordson

The only two MVP's of the last 30 years that didn't come from a top 2 seed were Michael Jordan in '88 (a 3 seed) and Karl Malone in '99 (tied for the best record in the west in a lockout year). I think it'll be Lebron or Kawhi. Maybe Durant if these first few games aren't an outlier and the Warriors can pick it up.

You don't just throw away 108 years of beautiful tradition. I mean, look at Boston. 2004, they ruined an 86 year streak. Are they happy? Maybe for a brief period, but now they expect to win the thing every year. 12 years ago, they were hoping for just one! If only they knew what they had. They're turning into Lakers fans (hideous). LyleLanley is a shell of his former self.

Bill Simmons is a dick.

Bread

Banned

How many teams can boast a championship title? Too many to count, probably thousands.

How many teams have had a 100 year streak to their name? One? Not sure, don't really watch sports.

They should do it is what I'm saying,

How many teams can boast a championship title? Too many to count, probably thousands.

How many teams have had a 100 year streak to their name? One? Not sure, don't really watch sports.

They should do it is what I'm saying,

I know, right, a team wins the World Series every single year. How special is that? Not many teams lose the title 108 years in a row.

I think Kawhi will win it. I don't think Westbrook, Harden or Lillard will win enough games.

I think people tend to forget just how important of a factor that is. James Harden had an almost identical stat sheet last season as he did the season before when he was the MVP-runner up but the narrative all season turned to how he really doesn't play with enough effort because everyone soured on the Rockets.

Fjordson

I think people tend to forget just how important of a factor that is. James Harden had an almost identical stat sheet last season as he did the season before when he was the MVP-runner up but the narrative all season turned to how he really doesn't play with enough effort because everyone soured on the Rockets.
Yep. Harden was still good last year, but the Rockets as a team took a nosedive and he ended up not even making an all-NBA team. Team success is a large factor for the voting media.

Chase17

RIP Anthony Davis chances of winning an MVP in the near future :(

Fjordson

Voter fatigue is the only way anyone outside of Lebron usually gets an MVP.
I don't know, I don't think Lebron has had a case the last few years. I'd still call him the best player overall, but with it being a regular season award I think Curry and Durant both deserved it. Especially Curry last year.

The M.O.B

I don't know, I don't think Lebron has had a case the last few years. I'd still call him the best player overall, but with it being a regular season award I think Curry and Durant both deserved it. Especially Curry last year.

I'm a fan of taking what a player is getting versus what they are giving and seeing where they really are. This is why high offensive players like Harden get little respect from me as they give half of their points right back to the other team through terrible defensive play that is 100% on them.

Exceptions are when a players offensive output is REALLY high and efficient like Curry last season.

Examples of players that rank highly in my book are Kawhi, Lebron, Paul George, Jimmy Butler. Players that contribute high on both ends. Ideally, you wouldn't give your star offensive players the tough assignments on defense but these guys usually end up doing that and excelling at it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dan looks sooo ridiculous lol

Also lol that the Leb show all dressed as Dan for Halloween today on the show lol

PS: Go Hawks!!!

Top Bottom