• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Mr.Sumal

They need to be in the top 4 or a 50-win team at least to be in the conversation. It's Tyronne Lue's to lose this season.

If the lakers improve upon their 15-16 record by more than 25 wins than the award should definitely go to Luke

Only if the cavs finish below 65 wins

I'll admit I was wrong. I had a fear that Luke Walton got the benefit of coaching a team that basically coached themselves because they were so talented last year in Golden State. It's only been 7 games, but Luke has done wonders with this Lakers squad
Warriors basically played by far their best brand of ball when he coached them. Biggest difference of this team is depth. Your bench seems to pretty much body every fucking team in the league so far, it's absurd.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The absolute biggest surprise this season for me is the bench production. I would have never fucking guessed. I mean.. like damn... our bench doesn't just out-play other benches, they fucking dominate.

All I expected this year was a little more development and a change of culture -- but all of this? LOL I couldn't dream this shit. The way this team is playing they might miss the playoffs by only a handful of games. Like what the hell.... What. The. Hell.

And Brandon Ingram, our 19 YO rookie, is already a high quality defender in this league. Like, I almost never see this kid make a mistake on defense, which is ridiculous.

diehard

Fleer
Man this place is giving off vibes of former NBA-GAF now.

In that once they think their team isn't garbage tier, a bunch of Laker "fans" show up.

We need more really embarrassingly stupid new nicknames for Laker players though.

Yeah, the 10 man rotation is phenomenal from Russel to Black.

Ingram out there does not look like a rookie. He isn't trying to do so much and will only improve game by game.

The absolute biggest surprise this season for me is the bench production. I would have never fucking guessed. I mean.. like damn... our bench doesn't just out-play other benches, they fucking dominate.

All I expected this year was a little more development and a change of culture -- but all of this? LOL I couldn't dream this shit. The way this team is playing they might miss the playoffs by only a handful of games. Like what the hell.... What. The. Hell.

And Brandon Ingram, our 19 YO rookie, is already a high quality defender in this league. Like, I almost never see this kid make a mistake on defense, which is ridiculous.
I predicted 30 wins, 35 max. If they prove me wrong, this will be the first time I would be ecstatic in being wrong. Luke has done a magnificent job so far. This team is such a joy to watch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Monday Morning Standings

Eastern Conference
20161107_0857462w4jj8.jpg

Western Conference

phanphare

Banned
That 3 7 matchup in the western conference would be interesting at this point.

What is charlotte doing to be that good? Should check who they have.

playing defense. mkg missed pretty much all of last season and is healthy now. also they haven't played anyone great except the celts which is their 1 loss.

OldMan

Banned
Hurts about the Mo Williams and Cavs beef because I really liked Mo as a player and hell, I'm impressed with Shumps effort and progression and both sides of the ball, jumper and defending at the top of the key but Mo was the perfect backup pg.

Look at the previous champs 👏🏾👏🏾

Cackling the OKC is at the top 😂

This will be an interesting season
OKC isn't finishing top 5. They might keep top 3 possibly for one more month before they start falling off a cliff. Teams are going to adjust to trapping Westbrook on top of him starting to burn out a little bit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm gonna try to post standings every Monday during the season.

It's also worth noting that despite me posting them today I don't think we get any meaningful info until all teams have played 20 games. I think by 20 games enough statistical variance has evened out.

OKwestbrooks will be lucky if they get the #5 seed at the end of the season

I'd say they get either 7 or 8, someone said it but all you have to do is eventually double X play box 1 on Westbrook
He can't go superhero all season

In that once they think their team isn't garbage tier, a bunch of Laker "fans" show up.

We need more really embarrassingly stupid new nicknames for Laker players though.

G-TYME is back. Utar beat the Knicks and the Lakers. Why are you mad?

If he has Achilles problems his return shouldn't be rushed.

Nah I know, I have to accept the fact that he is going to be out. I'm going to miss this man when he retires, he is the Mavericks organization. I hope Barnes can become the next franchise player, just need him to realize his potential a bit sooner. He is only 24 though, so we have a good decade with him as long as everything goes fine.

Just wait till Luke figures out how to turn MOZGOD into Bogut 2.0.

Have you watched him play this season? He's really, really, really slow now. He was never that athletic or quick to begin with but he's a far cry from what he was in Cle, let alone when he was with Nuggets. I just don't think you should expect much athletic improvement from a 7 ft center at his size whose 30.

DIRK COME BACK!!!! We NEED you!

He's 38 and his achiles is about to go. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have you watched him play this season? He's really, really, really slow now. He was never that athletic or quick to begin with but he's a far cry from what he was in Cle, let alone when he was with Nuggets. I just don't think you should expect much athletic improvement from a 7 ft center at his size whose 30.

He's 38 and his achiles is about to go. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Take it back! Dirk is invincible! He's a robot! He will recover and prove us wrong once again!

OKC isn't finishing top 5. They might keep top 3 possibly for one more month before they start falling off a cliff. Teams are going to adjust to trapping Westbrook on top of him starting to burn out a little bit.

OKwestbrooks will be lucky if they get the #5 seed at the end of the season

I'd say they get either 7 or 8, someone said it but all you have to do is eventually double X play box 1 on Westbrook
He can't go superhero all season

I agree that OKC will fall to between #5-9 as we move through the season. They have an easy, easy schedule early, but it gets rough as they move into January. And they're just not a complete team at all.

Westbrook won't burn out, though. He's never burned out. He's flamed out, but never burned out. The elite teams will be able to contain him, but most others won't. See the 2014 season, where he had less talent around him than he does now. He'll have some bad games, but he'll generally beast out all year. He has a limitless, superhuman gas tank.

Bread

Banned

can we bring back the cp3 vs deron williams vs rondo arguments too

jacobs34

The Lakers are going to pay a high price to be competitive this year. They are losing their first rounders in 2017 (to Philly) and 2019 (to Orlando). Let's hope this is the core that they can eventually build a contender out of.

theWB27

too bad hibbert's gonna be out again

He's been out 98% of his career.

I see Lakers bandwagon in full affect now that they might avoid the lottery.

I love that there are people who still get their tummy's in a bunch because someone else likes the purple and gold. Someone tweet Jeanie to set up a program that logs our fandom so we can prove how long we've been dragging that wagon when the time comes. Just flash a "member since >insert year<" card and see how it goes.

jman2050

I agree that OKC will fall to between #5-9 as we move through the season. They have an easy, easy schedule early, but it gets rough as they move into January. And they're just not a complete team at all.

Westbrook won't burn out, though. He's never burned out. He's flamed out, but never burned out. The elite teams will be able to contain him, but most others won't. See the 2014 season, where he had less talent around him than he does now. He'll have some bad games, but he'll generally beast out all year. He has a limitless, superhuman gas tank.

I don't buy it. Not completely anyway.

High-intensity superhuman players appear to have limitless gas tanks right up until the point where they overextend themselves and then suddenly the injury bug hits like a ton of bricks. You don't see it coming until it's too late.

That's what makes a player like Lebron so special, and even with him I keep dreading when/if the other shoe will drop regarding his career workload. You can't just play like Westbrook does all the time, the human body doesn't work that way.

diehard

Fleer
I love that there are people who still get their tummy's in a bunch because someone else likes the purple and gold. Someone tweet Jeanie to set up a program that logs our fandom so we can prove how long we've been dragging that wagon when the time comes. Just flash a "member since >insert year<" card and see how it goes.

I mean a GAF member since 2014 surely posted something about the lakers before this month... oh wait. sorry

Top Bottom