• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

I don't buy it. Not completely anyway.

High-intensity superhuman players appear to have limitless gas tanks right up until the point where they overextend themselves and then suddenly the injury bug hits like a ton of bricks. You don't see it coming until it's too late.

That's what makes a player like Lebron so special, and even with him I keep dreading when/if the other shoe will drop regarding his career workload. You can't just play like Westbrook does all the time, the human body doesn't work that way.

Had the 2014 season not happened, I would tend to agree with you. But, it did. The only thing that will slow him down is a major injury.

And really, truth be told, the dude's had ridiculous usage rates even with KD alongside him. He's always played monster minutes. He doesn't slow down, doesn't let up. To his own team's detriment, sometimes.

theWB27

I mean a GAF member since 2014 surely posted something about the lakers before this month... oh wait. sorry

I grew up on the Lakers with my pops being a fan and I caught on twenty years ago. Still have my high school ID with me in my jersey 13 years ago.

But you know...Gaf posts and all : )

Let the ninja bandwagon the Lakers. They're still trash

And? Part of being a fan. Tout your team when they suck and when they get on top. It's hilarious ya'll get in your feelings over who someone else follows.

Kickz

LaVine and Wiggins have been unbelievably porous on defense. I hold out some hope for Wiggins to reach his defensive potential under Thibs but I don't think LaVine will ever be a good defender.

Thibs looked visibly angry at Wiggins a couple of times against OKC, but yea of the two he definitely has the better chance of being a good defender.

Miracle

The Lakers are going to pay a high price to be competitive this year. They are losing their first rounders in 2017 (to Philly) and 2019 (to Orlando). Let's hope this is the core that they can eventually build a contender out of.

Philly can have fun with a 16th pick for all I care.

The Lakers are going to pay a high price to be competitive this year. They are losing their first rounders in 2017 (to Philly) and 2019 (to Orlando). Let's hope this is the core that they can eventually build a contender out of.

I think we have a max contract available next summer. Who's available then, that we may throw money at 'em?

Miracle

I think we have a max contract available next summer. Who's available then, that we may throw money at 'em?

Nobody interesting. Gordon Hayward is available but he will re-up with the Jazz. Blake Griffin but we got Randle so fuck that.

Mostly just a bunch of role players. 2018 FA the year when Paul George arrives as a Laker though...potentially.

Of course, there is always the unthinkable option where Durant opts out after this season and joins the upcomer Lakers.

Russell
Ingram
Durant
Randle
Mozgod

High off the crack pipe but holy height and length on that lineup from 1-3 lol.

Blake Griffin, perhaps? It's the one team he could go to without having to step away from all the business/production ties he's created in LA over the years. Would require the Clippers to be otherwise disbanding in the offseason, which may happen if they get bounced in the second round (yet) again. He and CP3 both have player options this offseason.

Rules of NBA Gaf;
1) Fuck Kevin Durant
2) Ban the Celtics and Lakers Fans
3) Trust the Process

I'll sign off on this

I got nothing against the Celtics.

It's how we get the Lakers fans to agree

4) lol bam bam

Signed off to

5) Max Barnes is god

If it becomes a rule I can live with it

6) Warriors are the worst
7) Compliment my shump haircut

Great haircut!

8) we don't have the credentials to talk about the mavericks

Yeah, nor the interest to do so.

9) anime must be discussed thoroughly

6db505070d6a0e6de95f055b913085fccebf2d9a_hq.gif

jdstorm

Banned
OKC isn't finishing top 5. They might keep top 3 possibly for one more month before they start falling off a cliff. Teams are going to adjust to trapping Westbrook on top of him starting to burn out a little bit.

Its worth noting that westbrook is only playing around 30MPG. Im not sold on OKC being an elite team, but id say its very unlikely Westbrook burns out with those minutes

There is something going on in Dallas. Would love to see a journalist dig in and find out what the deal is with the Mavs franchise. Despite playing in a fairly large, tax free market, having a top 5 coach, being good to Dirk and having money out their asses, they have failed to attract a single premier free agent. Is Mark Cuban toxic?

Had the 2014 season not happened, I would tend to agree with you. But, it did. The only thing that will slow him down is a major injury.

And really, truth be told, the dude's had ridiculous usage rates even with KD alongside him. He's always played monster minutes. He doesn't slow down, doesn't let up. To his own team's detriment, sometimes.

hmm Westbrook still had Durant averaging 25/gm on 50/40/85 shooting for about 20 games (I don't quite remember how many games they had overlap but I think it was ~20) and will need to keep that pace up for more games than he did in 2014.

You're right about the current roster being better than it was back then. Man, Presti never did a good job of building around Westbrook and Durant. I guess we will see what happens. Oladipo could develop into a better option, Adams could develop a better offensive game, Kanter+Roberson could get shipped out for a D and 3 wing.

The way the roster is currently constructed, I would expect OKC to get a 6th or 7th seed with little left in the tank for the playoffs

phanphare

Banned
Damn really? I need to see that but of course studying is getting in the way of my basketball time lol

yep, straight up. caught me off guard. can't find any video on twitter tho, everyone's retweeting his behind the back to cody.

hornets also tie their franchise record for points in a half with 75, first time since 1993 when they did it twice

There is something going on in Dallas. Would love to see a journalist dig in and find out what the deal is with the Mavs franchise. Despite playing in a fairly large, tax free market, having a top 5 coach, being good to Dirk and having money out their asses, they have failed to attract a single premier free agent. Is Mark Cuban toxic?

I think that has more to do with Dirk being at the tail end of his career more than anything than anybody being toxic.

If you look at the players they been after and compare it to the other teams after them, the Mavs have very little to offer due too having zero young players (until recently that is) and tradable assets (making sign and trades harder).

hmm Westbrook still had Durant averaging 25/gm on 50/40/85 shooting for about 20 games (I don't quite remember how many games they had overlap but I think it was ~20) and will need to keep that pace up for more games than he did in 2014.

You're right about the current roster being better than it was back then. Man, Presti never did a good job of building around Westbrook and Durant. I guess we will see what happens. Oladipo could develop into a better option, Adams could develop a better offensive game, Kanter+Roberson could get shipped out for a D and 3 wing.

The way the roster is currently constructed, I would expect OKC to get a 6th or 7th seed with little left in the tank for the playoffs

Sabonis might be their best 3 point shooter and he barely shot any in college.

Mr.Sumal

first time the hornets have been 5-1 through 6 games

also what's up with the pacers? weren't they a top 10 defense last year?

Kemba on a mission to get the hornets into the second round

Pacers were overhyped, they lost a great defensive coach in vogel and their perimeter defense took a big hit when Bird traded away George Hill

phanphare

Banned
Kemba on a mission to get the hornets into the second round

Pacers were overhyped, they lost a great defensive coach in vogel and their perimeter defense took a big hit when Bird traded away George Hill

this feels like the year he becomes an all star and god dammit it could've been in charlotte

To a degree, yes. IMO some of the comments he's made on social issues over the years have probably rubbed some players the wrong way. The Trayvon Martin comments about avoiding people with hoodies. How he commented on the Donald Sterling issue in saying "well everyone is bigoted". He apologized about the hoodie comment but still, the damage was done.

I think he lost a lot of goodwill in his reputation among players in the NBA when he made those comments.

I think that has more to do with Dirk being at the tail end of his career more than anything than anybody being toxic.

If you look at the players they been after and compare it to the other teams after them, the Mavs have very little to offer due too having zero young players (until recently that is) and tradable assets (making sign and trades harder).

It's been often rumored/hinted that Parsons was a cancer in the locker room which is why he was never even given an offer sheet during the offseason.

Top Bottom