• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Brandson

I don't know how you can rule the game is just over in those circumstances. They should have just accepted that the timekeeper missed the slight touch on the inbounds pass, and gone to OT. Otherwise, have them replay the inbounds play if you want to be jerks, but to just end the game is worse than being in the pre-replay days. NBA refs continue to amaze. Fairness seems to not be a consideration at all.

phanphare

Banned
seriously tho when I was watching that I thought the worst case scenario would have been they wave the basket and then reset the clock and let them inbound the ball again. which would have sucked anyway because they needed a 3 and just got a tough one but at least they'd have another shot at it. but nope. they fucked up and essentially just shrugged their shoulders and let it affect the outcome.

I don't believe I've seen anything like that before

Lol that call really fucks over everything, what an absolute joke. Like are all buzzer beaters going to be reviewed when the clock actually starts and if it was .2 seconds off call off the shot? This could only happen to the raptors.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
BXfvlxm.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Lol that call really fucks over everything, what an absolute joke. Like are all buzzer beaters going to be reviewed when the clock actually starts and if it was .2 seconds off call off the shot? This could only happen to the raptors.

Yeah, this is true. It's such a slippery slope. How many times have they gone frame by frame to see if it left the players hands on a buzzer beater? Now are you going to go check if the clock started the moment it touched their hand from the inbound too? Do they go back and check it if it was inbounded with 23 seconds left in the game too? If not when is the cutoff for when they need to go back and see if the clock started on time?

This is one of the worst decisions I've seen. Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't know how you can rule the game is just over in those circumstances. They should have just accepted that the timekeeper missed the slight touch on the inbounds pass, and gone to OT. Otherwise, have them replay the inbounds play if you want to be jerks, but to just end the game is worse than being in the pre-replay days. NBA refs continue to amaze. Fairness seems to not be a consideration at all.

I didn't get to watch this game, since I don't have NBA TV, but after seeing the Refs shave points to hit the 6 pt spread against the Raptors last time... maybe it wasn't the Warriors that were being played with so much as the Raptors. The Warriors were kinda laughing it off, but there were some bullshit non-fouls being called just to prolong the game and allow the Raptors to bring the score within 6. I believe you even hear one of the Warriors call the spread out on live TV during questionable whistle-blowing.

So I'm not really as surprised as I should be that they would do this.

Patrick Patterson Verified account
‏@pdpatt

27.2 - 24 = WHAT? #shotclock

Should have been 3.3 seconds on the clock after the shot clock violation

But if you go back and add up all the timing mistakes throughout the game you'd be messing with the space time continuum

random25

I just watched that last second shot of Ross. That was a messed up situation. On one hand, Ross made the shot within the time shown on the shotclock, so by that basis it should've counted. On the other hand, the official review makes sense, as Cousins touched the ball on the inbounds play, so the clock clearly should've move as soon as that happened.

In the end, the only person to be blamed for this is the timekeeper. And I think the refs should have counted that just to avoid further controversies.

I was just able to watch the replay, and they are saying it was tipped and the shot clock should have started sooner.

...but it didn't, so who's at fault there?
I think worse case scenario that should have been a redo. chances of making that 3 again were slim, but you can't punish the Raps for the clock guy not starting the clock on the tipped pass.

Mr.Sumal

Patrick Patterson Verified account
‏@pdpatt

27.2 - 24 = WHAT? #shotclock

Should have been 3.3 seconds on the clock after the shot clock violation

But if you go back and add up all the timing mistakes throughout the game you'd be messing with the space time continuum
NBA replay center should have started at 3.3 then smh. They probably wanted to call it a night and told the refs to overturn it.

winjet81

Actually, it's not similar.

What you showed is a time keeping error of starting the clock too quickly. Ironically, the Raptors were similarity screwed by the refs a few years back on a very similar play:

Go to 4:40 of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl5xJGM9AKc

Now, last night? Completely different. Time keeper started the clock within a reasonable lag in reaction time to the ball being deflected by Cousins and the shot was made before the clock hit zero. And even if one says that .2 or .3 of a second of lag in reaction time is unreasonable, then the shot was made within 2.4 seconds of cousins touching the ball anyway:

https://twitter.com/MrScattolon/status/800600306786545664

No doubts. No controversy., Should have been overtime at the very least.

phanphare

Banned
Actually, it's not similar.

What you showed is a time keeping error of starting the clock too quickly. Ironically, the Raptors were similarity screwed by the refs a few years back on a very similar play:

Go to 4:40 of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl5xJGM9AKc

Now, last night? Completely different. Time keeper started the clock within a reasonable lag in reaction time to the ball being deflected by Cousins and the shot was made before the clock hit zero. And even if one says that .2 or .3 of a second of lag in reaction time is unreasonable, then the shot was made within 2.4 seconds of cousins touching the ball anyway:

https://twitter.com/MrScattolon/status/800600306786545664

No doubts. No controversy., Should have been overtime at the very least.

damn so even if the clock had started when boogie touched it ross still got it off in time?

spyder_ur

I'd like to insert some sarcastic joke about how you definitely want your star injury-prone center hanging around in crowded nightclubs after games and how nothing could possibly go wrong, but I can't. Embiid is just awesome.

Fjordson

Dubs have the Pacers tonight without Paul George and Myles Turner on the second night of a back to back. Gonna be a close game (not being sarcastic).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Damn KAT has already shown in 2 minutes amazing footwork, soft touch, extreme athleticism, etc. Racking in a block and 6 points. Guy is a machine.

spyder_ur

Wolves have taken 5 times as many FTs as Boston. A lot of that is earned, but not all.

Watching Towns is thrilling. I don't know what he can't do on a basketball court. Theme of the season for me is the rebirth of the big man.

Top Bottom