• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

spyder_ur

celtics complete the greatest comeback of all time and win it all!

Wolves start the 4th 1-17 blow a 15 point lead to the Celtics lol

Rozier and Smart changed that game. Fun one to watch.

Rozier is going to have some big scoring nights in his career. He reminds me a bit of a young Jamal Crawford with his explosiveness and movement, though obviously he's not that level shooter yet. Marcus just continues to make winning plays.

celtics complete the greatest comeback of all time and win it all!
giphy.gif

scoobs

It blows my mind Antetokounmpo is only 21 years old. Holy shit man hes going to be around for 15 more years and hes so fucking good already.

TTG

I was just thinking why the Warriors haven't been as much fun to watch this year and it mostly comes down to Curry's off the dribble game being MIA. Making space for his shot with a cross over or hesitation versus everyone from Steven Adams to Kawhai? Gone. Coming around screens with the ball, getting a mismatch off the switch or dragging 2 players with him to create offense? Gone. I don't think he even gets to the rim with the ball as effectively any more, it's more catching players out of position than anything else. What made him a revolutionary player in the last 2 years wasn't his ability to hit 6 shots out of 10 versus Ray Allen or JJ Redick only hitting 5 or something, it was his ability to create space and shoot off the dribble in a way that hasn't been done.

The Warriors need time to regain their otherworldly precision from last year and they are not trying as hard and they haven't played elite teams apart from that first game. But, I'm also watching a ton of catch and shoot basketball when I watch them and maybe that's the way to go with 3 of the best shooters of all time and a power forward that can sort of knock in an open 3 as well, but aesthetically it's not the same. Hopefully whatever is bothering Curry, confidence or otherwise, he can regain.

I was just thinking why the Warriors haven't been as much fun to watch this year and it mostly comes down to Curry's off the dribble game being MIA. Making space for his shot with a cross over or hesitation versus everyone from Steven Adams to Kawhai? Gone. Coming around screens with the ball, getting a mismatch off the switch or dragging 2 players with him to create offense? Gone. I don't think he even gets to the rim with the ball as effectively any more, it's more catching players out of position than anything else. What made him a revolutionary player in the last 2 years wasn't his ability to hit 6 shots out of 10 versus Ray Allen or JJ Redick only hitting 5 or something, it was his ability to create space and shoot off the dribble in a way that hasn't been done.

The Warriors need time to regain their otherworldly precision from last year and they are not trying as hard and they haven't played elite teams apart from that first game. But, I'm also watching a ton of catch and shoot basketball when I watch them and maybe that's the way to go with 3 of the best shooters of all time and a power forward that can sort of knock in an open 3 as well, but aesthetically it's not the same. Hopefully whatever is bothering Curry, confidence or otherwise, he can regain.
I'm afraid he may have fucked up his legs by doing that blood transfusion and rushing himself back instead of letting it heal more.

megalowho

Thibs teams start rolling 20-25 games into the season. Have patience.
Thibs also gassed his players and used up his TO's which enabled the Celtics comeback, they were clearly tired. That loss was on him as much as it was on a young team not being able to handle a late run by a more experienced opponent.

Servbot24

Banned

I assumed it was more that they were shifting responsibility to KD and limiting Curry from plays with ankle sprain potential. Dunno though, and yeah I do miss seeing it.

beat

I don't think he even gets to the rim with the ball as effectively any more, it's more catching players out of position than anything else.
Last year he was 65.9% in the restricted area and 48.7% in the paint (non-RA). This year so far he's 69.5% in the RA, albeit with 0.9 fewer attempts per game. So 3.3 FGMs in the RA last year vs 2.9 this year. (the linked NBA.com stats are just comparing guards.)

The big change I see is that he's 38.1% in the paint, non-RA on nearly the same number of attempts (1.5 then vs 1.4 now). But that's a smallish sample size.

TTG

I assumed it was more that they were shifting responsibility to KD and limiting Curry from plays with ankle sprain potential. Dunno though, and yeah I do miss seeing it.

As much as Curry hunts for highlight plays, I doubt he would excise that from his game and I don't think it's smart schematically either. I mean, great defenses will take away a lot of "cheap" open looks, especially in the playoffs, and then you're stuck having to rely on something you haven't done effectively all year.

Last year he was 65.9% in the restricted area and 48.7% in the paint (non-RA). This year so far he's 69.5% in the RA, albeit with 0.9 fewer attempts per game. So 3.3 FGMs in the RA last year vs 2.9 this year. (the linked NBA.com stats are just comparing guards.)

The big change I see is that he's 38.1% in the paint, non-RA on nearly the same number of attempts (1.5 then vs 1.4 now). But that's a smallish sample size.

That's interesting. I wouldn't say he's at the rim appreciably less, I just haven't seen him be dynamic with the ball in getting there, at least not nearly like he was last year. Back then, it was between him and Kyrie for the best handles in the league and now the plays that got him there have all but evaporated.

Since we're talking about stats, I was just listening to a podcast that's relevant:

-GSW have 160 possessions coming off screens, second in the league is Dallas with 89.
-138 on cuts, Jazz are second with 106.
-2nd lowest in the league at pick and roll. Curry has 64 possessions off pick and roll averaging 0.64 per possession. Last year was over a point.

EDIT: Curry is noot very efficient on isos either for what it's worth.

A lot of catch and shoot, not a lot of creativity with the ball and Curry specifically is not the same player off the dribble. Not nearly as much fun to watch(although who is? Last year's team made for perhaps the most entertaining regular season in a long time).

beat

A lot of catch and shoot, not a lot of creativity with the ball and Curry specifically is not the same player off the dribble. Not nearly as much fun to watch(although who is? Last year's team made for perhaps the most entertaining regular season in a long time).
I think they'll be fine. Curry was an incredible player off the ball last year, Durant was last year as well, and the GS system is pretty good. And the way GS is generating the catch and shoot looks when they're clicking is pretty solid; nice misdirections and screen-the-screeners are working well enough for now that they don't have to go to secondary and tertiary options on their plays.

I get what you mean but personally I think Curry still has his dribble moves. And I think the less he uses it in the regular season, the more it'll be unexpected if/when he uses it in the playoffs.

(Side note, are you reading the Explain One Play series at Golden State of Mind? Fantastic stuff.)

Top Bottom