• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harden's an offensive genius but i just value kawhi's two-way game more. I don't know if you can truly rely on Harden's play style (getting shooting fouls) in the post season but I guess we still have to see how far he goes.

I'm hoping not far, because there is no way anyone can continue to reward the offense initial fouls that Harden gets calls for.
I really hope they do fix that in the off season. if it happened once in a while, whatever, but a the rate Harden has successfully exploited that, it needs to be addressed.

Hitta93

Banned
I'm hoping not far, because there is no way anyone can continue to reward the offense initial fouls that Harden gets calls for.
I really hope they do fix that in the off season. if it happened once in a while, whatever, but a the rate Harden has successfully exploited that, it needs to be addressed.

How should they change the rule? They're all legit fouls.

RoKKeR

Wait, Hayward is out for... food poisoning!?

What on earth.

Hopefully with Gobert being in they can grab a win tonight.

jdstorm

Banned

1. Make the player who initiates contact the player who comitts the foul. If its an offensive foul shooters will stop comitting it.

2. If you keep the same interpretation, make all shooting fouls worth 2 shots regardless of where they are taken from. That helps put the math back in the favor of not trying to draw contact on a 3pt attempt.

when the ball handler goes out of his way to purposely wrap a defenders arm up in an attempt at a fake 3pt shot, should not be rewarded as a legitimate foul.

and the other one is when you get someone to jump, who is not necessarily jumping at you, and certainly wouldn't have landed on you or right up in your face, so you instead jump at them instead to initiate the contact.

both of those should become offensive fouls, as the offense is the person who initiated the contact.

It was never really a problem before because it only happened occasionally, but Harden has been exploiting the fuck out of the first one, and too many other shooters have been doing the second.

I know the counter argument is "don't reach" or "don't jump" , but the defender isn't always reaching, just Harden is really good at quickly faking a shot to catch an arm, not even always of someone defending him, to get 3 shots at the line.
It really makes it hard to watch him play.

Hitta93

Banned
1. Make the player who initiates contact the player who comitts the foul. If its an offensive foul shooters will stop comitting it.

2. If you keep the same interpretation, make all shooting fouls worth 2 shots regardless of where they are taken from. That helps put the math back in the favor of not trying to draw contact on a 3pt attempt.

I can see them changing it since so many fans, players, and coaches complaining about it, but it'll be a hard rule to change, especially when hand checking isn't allowed in today's NBA.

Slizeezyc

I can see them changing it since so many fans, players, and coaches complaining about it, but it'll be a hard rule to change, especially when hand checking isn't allowed in today's NBA.

Hand checking might not be allowed, but it's not like it doesn't happen all the time.

It's a fair argument though lol, why don't the other NBA players do it?

But I also addressed both counter arguments in the same post....

But it really comes down to whoever initiated the contact is who the foul should be on.

Just the same as kicking your leg out when you jump shoot is an offensive foul, jumping into a defender, or purposely snagging them in a fake shot attempt just to get the foul should also be considered offensive, as they were initiated by the person with the ball.

Chris Paul just got a triple double.

...unless they aren't going to credit him with that rebound he just got.
I swear that was him that got the rebound though...

Dizzan

MINI Member
IMO taking into account everything about the game including consistency and defence:

Lebron>Durant>Curry>Kahwi>Harden>Curry>Westbrook

Hitta93

Banned
But I also addressed both counter arguments in the same post....

But it really comes down to whoever initiated the contact is who the foul should be on.

Just the same as kicking your leg out when you jump shoot is an offensive foul, jumping into a defender, or purposely snagging them in a fake shot attempt just to get the foul should also be considered offensive, as they were initiated by the person with the ball.

I can see the rip through being the same as kicking your leg out(even though it's never really called on the shooter), but the only two shouldn't be an offensive foul.

The defender should just play better defense honestly. Can't find the clip, but there was one possession were Draymond played textbook defense on Harden with his hands outstretched.

jdstorm

Banned
It's a fair argument though lol, why don't the other NBA players do it?

Because it relies on getting foul calls. If you dont get those calls its a turnover. Stars like Harden, Westbrook, Lebron, Curry, Durant, CP3 ect get those calls. Your average player won't get them.

Edit. Defenders cant play better defense. This series Andre Roberson got called for a 3pt foul on Harden in the corner where the only thing he touched was Air. Refs reviewed it to check if it was a 2 or 3.

Besides Draymond Green is one of the few NBA defenders that is normally allowed to foul guys whenever he wants without getting called for it. See Tony Allen and Patrick Beverly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom