• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
I personally think that he's just taking the KD route and saying the Spurs system is just making Kahwi better than he really is. That's what I'm basically taking it as. If not then idk what to say then.

But at this point, the system is pass ball and last resort give it to Kawhi. It is more iso heavy geared towards Kawhi and LMA with the bulk going to Kawhi.

That system doesn't create 25 PPG scorers

That system didn't make him a top NBA player

Hitta93

Banned
You are literally the only person with this opinion, it's not a matter of agreeing, facts literally tell you that you are fucking wrong. The amount of wrong that you spew is just stupid. It is not an opinion to call Kawhi a role player, not that good, etc. Those are blatant lies and falsehoods.

All I can do is advise you to watch more basketball™. We're not going to agree.

Tommy DJ

I personally think that he's just taking the KD route and saying the Spurs system is just making Kahwi better than he really is. That's what I'm basically taking it as. If not then idk what to say then.

What is the Spurs system? Having a half competent coach? That comment by KD was dumb then and still dumb now.

People always forget that the Spurs have changed during the years. They achieve such longevity and consistency because they're a front office dominated franchise. People forget but Tim Duncan literally carried the team before he busted his knee...so much so that its arguable that 2003 was one of the biggest carry jobs by any superstar player.

LionPride

Banned
What is the Spurs system? Having a half competent coach? That comment by KD was dumb then and still dumb now.

People always forget that the Spurs have changed during the years. They achieve such longevity and consistency because they're a front office dominated franchise. People forget but Tim Duncan literally carried the team before he busted his knee...so much so that its arguable that 2003 was one of the biggest carry jobs by any superstar player.

What the fuck was that team, really? Timmy, the corpse of Admiral, a young TP, a younger S-Jax, and Bruce Bowen with Manu, Speedy fucking Claxton, Kerr, Steve Smith, and Malik Rose off the bench.

60 fucking games won.

How

Also notice how Hitta legitimately has not a damn thing to back up their "opinion" about Kawhi except "Watch more basketball" as if everything else is just something that doesn't exist

Houston vs San Antonio goes 7, all of Texas dies (Dallas is Oklahoma), and winner goes on to win the NBA Finals.

No seriously though, a Rockets run of Thunder - Spurs - Warriors - Cavs, facing 4 other MVP candidates, would probably be a GOAT level run. Only 1995 Rockets and 2001 Lakers probably compare

LionPride

Banned
I have already, so at this point:

No, you haven't said anything worth a damn. Your points have been less coherent than mine when I'm annoyed and that's saying something, make exactly 0 sense, and stem from a weird dislike of Kawhi that went from "he isn't that good" to "he's a role player" to "Sure he's a good iso scorer and defender, but what else is he?"

Do you not understand how much sense you do not make? Do you not understand that you have been the least consistent bastard with your shit? I would like to believe you're serious and not a troll because if you're a troll then goddamn you must have a sucky life, because my God that's pitiful If you're a real person, I'm impressed because Jesus H. Christ you have taken the cake for just pure dumb shit I've seen related to sports in a minute.

Hitta93

Banned
No, you haven't said anything worth a damn. Your points have been less coherent than mine when I'm annoyed and that's saying something, make exactly 0 sense, and stem from a weird dislike of Kawhi that went from "he isn't that good" to "he's a role player" to "Sure he's a good iso scorer and defender, but what else is he?"

Do you not understand how much sense you do not make? Do you not understand that you have been the least consistent bastard with your shit? I would like to believe you're serious and not a troll because if you're a troll then goddamn you must have a sucky life, because my God that's pitiful If you're a real person, I'm impressed because Jesus H. Christ you have taken the cake for just pure dumb shit I've seen related to sports in a minute.

All I can do is advise you to watch more basketball™. We're not going to agree.
Goodnight.

Boogs31

Houston didn't look particularly great against OKC tbh. These are both deeply flawed teams.

I think the fact that Houston shot as poorly as they did from three and still beat OKC in 5 makes me think they are a better all around team than people realize. They didn't shoot particularly well against San Antonio during the regular season and were still in every game.

If Lou Williams and Nene continue to play as well as they did in round one it gives them a whole other dimension going forward.

That's honestly how you allow dumbassery to be allowed. Like, Jesus Christ. Plus banning convos never get anywhere tbh

Gah

It's a joke lol. I think he's already said that the only way his opinion will change about Kahwi is if he, and he himself, leads the Spurs to another title. Which I think would mean, for this year, LMA would have to get break his thumb again and miss the finals and Kahwi would have to drop 30ish a game and no one else on the roster lead the team in points in a single game.

Tony Parker is the result of the Spurs system Kawhi is not. He was at one point and may never have reached this level without the Spurs, but his game can translate to any team now.

It's ridiculous how fortunate SA is to have another franchise player so soon after the Duncan era.

LionPride

Banned
Tony Parker is the result of the Spurs system Kawhi is not. He was at one point and may never have reached this level without the Spurs, but his game can translate to any team now.

It's ridiculous how fortunate SA is to have another franchise player so soon after the Duncan era.
A stance I agree with a bit. I think TP 10 years ago, fit on any team. Kawhi now, fit on any team.

Dragun619

Damn, The Grizz put up a good fight. Glad we didn't go to game 7, otherwise I don't think we would have won it. Glad the series rejuvenated Tony.

Who was the Spurs guy saying he was fed up with LMA? I feel that frustration now. -__-

It was probably me shouting to the cosmos.

I wanted Conley in the offseason. Not a jump-shooting big.

It's definitely become frustrating to watch LMA play for us sometimes, but ever since we added him we got 2 60+ Win Seasons down so, eh. Dude, needs to step up in Houston, especially now that we're past Z-Bo & Marc Gasol.

I also wanted Conley, but when I saw Memphis send Justin Timberlake and that crazy ass max contract. Shoot. Guess we gotta try CP3 sweepstakes instead.

mjp2417

Banned
I think the fact that Houston shot as poorly as they did from three and still beat OKC in 5 makes me think they are a better all around team than people realize. They didn't shoot particularly well against San Antonio during the regular season and were still in every game.

If Lou Williams and Nene continue to play as well as they did in round one it gives them a whole other dimension going forward.

That's definitely one way of looking at it, and Houston can theoretically run SAS out of the building if everyone is hitting shots on any given night, but Harden might still not be 100% healthy, Lou Williams might revert to typical playoffs Lou Williams, the likelihood of Nene reproducing his 1st round series is vanishingly small, and the Spurs, unlike OKC, actually have an NBA bench (that entire OKC series was decided by the respective benches). Also, Kawhi isn't going to shoot the Spurs out of the game in the 4th quarter unlike Russ. I can't imagine this not being a tight 6-7 game series and the Spurs still ultimately have home court.

WoodWERD

Obvious troll is obvious. I'll go with Spurs in 6. Harden will get his, but hopefully Spurs d performs better against the supporting cast.

Dragun619

Kawhi isn't top 5, might not even be top 10 if I redo my list.

Overall skill set. With overall skill set, there's no way Kawhi is top 5. He's a role player.

The offense doesn't run through Kawhi, it's a team effort. His role isn't much different from Curry's. He is a role player. Elite 3/D guy who isn't a bad isolation scorer as well.

giphy.gif

Edit:

Tommy DJ

It wouldn't surprise me either, considering the Rockets can shoot any team out of the building on a good day. But it also wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs deal with the Rockets better than the Grizzlies.

So basically a series filled with heart attacks.

Jarate

Banned
top 10 players
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart

I dont see Kawaii there

top 10 players
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart

I dont see Kawaii there

Leonard's a 3 and D guy at best c'mon now.

top 10 players
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart

I dont see Kawaii there

The process works!

for Raps v Cavs I think the Raps will get 2 games on CLE like last years ECF. Their defense is too suspect.

I really hope the Raps can find their offense for 4 straight games.
Cavs are very vulnerable (Bron didn't bring enough switches for everyone....), and the Pacers just couldn't quite take advantage.

Boogs31

I'm not sure I saw anything out of Toronto in that last series to make me think they could take 1 game of CLE, let alone 2.

But who knows.

Cleveland doesn't have the length and athleticism to disrupt Toronto's offense like Milwaukee did. Toronto is also better suited this year to defend the Cavs because of the additions of Tucker (to guard LeBron) and Ibaka (to guard Love).

I certainly don't think the Raptor's will win the series (I have the Cavs in 6), but I think they will at least be more competitive in Cleveland and make it a series the Cavs have to actually give 100% effort into to advance.

Cleveland doesn't have the length and athleticism to disrupt Toronto's offense like Milwaukee did. Toronto is also better suited this year to defend the Cavs because of the additions of Tucker (to guard LeBron) and Ibaka (to guard Love).

I certainly don't think the Raptor's will win the series (I have the Cavs in 6), but I think they will at least be more competitive in Cleveland and make it a series the Cavs have to actually give 100% effort into to advance.

Too bad Toronto is still the most mentally weak team in sports history. Especially their two best players.

Boogs31

That's definitely one way of looking at it, and Houston can theoretically run SAS out of the building if everyone is hitting shots on any given night, but Harden might still not be 100% healthy, Lou Williams might revert to typical playoffs Lou Williams, the likelihood of Nene reproducing his 1st round series is vanishingly small, and the Spurs, unlike OKC, actually have an NBA bench (that entire OKC series was decided by the respective benches). Also, Kawhi isn't going to shoot the Spurs out of the game in the 4th quarter unlike Russ. I can't imagine this not being a tight 6-7 game series and the Spurs still ultimately have home court.

Daryl Morey built a team that has so many weapons that almost every game someone will be hot. In the first round it was Nene and Lou Williams. Against the Spurs maybe Anderson and Gordon will start lighting it up. I think Harden getting a few days of rest should help with his ankle sprain. I have the Rockets in 6. Too much firepower offensively. The Spurs need Aldridge to have a big series to keep up. They didn't give him the ball enough against Memphis despite the team struggling to score.

Boogs31

Too bad Toronto is still the most mentally weak team in sports history. Especially their two best players.

I don't think it's as much mental weakness as it is low basketball IQ. They responded after getting blown out in game 3 in Milwaukee. That takes a mentally strong team to do that. Lowry and Derozan struggle to adjust to defensive schemes they don't see on a regular basis. The Bucks blitzing the pick and roll is something Toronto never practiced against all season. Milwaukee made minor tweaks to it that they struggled to adapt to. I don't think the Cavs have some crazy defense they can throw at the Raptors to get them out of their comfort zone. The question for any team to beat the Cavs is, can they get enough stops?

We're definitely far better defensively, especially when we need to get stops, than most people give us credit for.

That 4 guards + Nene lineup could be very potent. Nene outmuscles Pau, Harden on Aldridge, Gordon on Kawhi, Bev on Parker, Lou on Green/Patty. Offensively, you try and use as much of that small size and the idea that the Spurs don't have enough perimeter defenders to stop everyone.

I also could see 3 guards + Ariza + Nene a lot, where Ariza gives us a better Kawhi defender.

Parker getting good again is annoying, because that means Bev has to really commit to him. I think Beverley can contain him, sure, so if his current stretch is one of those cases of needing to be hot to make shots, we might be good, but Beverley would've been great for sagging and playing help on Kawhi.

Spurs are generally good with avoiding fouls, and I think Lou, Gordon, Harden, etc. are all going to give the Rockets defenders plenty of practice in not getting caught by Manu, Parker, or Kawhi's foul drawing.

I have a feeling this series comes down to which bench is more effective, and both teams have great bench rotations, so....

Parker is not being good again. This is what old people do. He was a great player, and if his legs are there dude is going to perform. That's kinda it. He's not going to forget how to run an offense or how to finish in the paint. He just can't do it so frequently.

If Spurs had a good nba pg and another decent wing player in the rotation, they could go against the Warriors (im not sayin they would win). Right now they are too unreliable.

Rockets in 5-6 and then golden state with a sweep/5. I rate this warriors team extremely highly. Even though I dislike them, I respect them enormously.

I called my spurs second round exit at best this year and I'm sticking to it. Gladly to be proven wrong though.

Chase17

top 10 players
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
Playoff Marcus Smart
I'm glad that there is someone watches basketball in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom