• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
C-yGSW5XoAATj2t.jpg:large

Someone needs to shop this guys face on the kid from Jurassic Park in the kitchen scene with a shadow of Bron in the background.

I don't get it. That lineup to start the 3rd is classic Casey - he can't make in-game adjustments, and he went away from what was working. And it's been losing them the game. They moved the ball around, they had a good defense.

This Toronto team, when it moves the ball around, is great. Ibaka said it in an open gym episode: "We move the ball, nobody can beat us". An exaggeration, but sitll, this Raptors team is great when they play the Spurs/Warriors style on offense

Cavs defense was impressive, let's see if they avoid the 4th quarter collapse

Yeah, they had zero movement this game, which is really fucking weird considering how weak and exploitable the Cavs defense is. The few possessions where they passed the ball around led to easy open shots. Tough to beat any team that shoots as well as the Cavs does from 3, but the Raptors definitely made it impossible with the offense shit show they put up.

ViciousDS

Banned
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but if not, what does it do? I've always been curious.

brings up a side screen with all current games and times. if you click on the game it gives you advanced stats for the team, the roster and tons more. I've never actually checked it out before....but it saves me a google search lol

sports-app-basketball-screen.png

Cj_gzcgXEAEnZq9.jpg

TTG

The first ever undefeated versus undefeated finals, combined 24-0.
Not going to happen, but the Cavs could definitely do it if they wanted to.

Tom Penny

Since this series is over I wonder if Pop puts Danny Green on Harden for a half to avoid ain't that good getting cheap fouls then have him guard Harden in the 2nd half.

gg tonight Raps-GAF.

About what I expected, to be quite honest. Series is likely to end in 5 at the very most. No disrespect to the Raps, but I think we all know CLE has been slacking and/or sandbagging for quite some time now. Based on roster talent, I see no reason for this series to last any longer than it did last year.

how did I know someone would catch this.

Yeah, they had zero movement this game, which is really fucking weird considering how weak and exploitable the Cavs defense is. The few possessions where they passed the ball around led to easy open shots. Tough to beat any team that shoots as well as the Cavs does from 3, but the Raptors definitely made it impossible with the offense shit show they put up.

The Raptors will make the adjustment by game 2 or 3, I'm pretty sure about that, it's just annoying that it's this same song and dance with them about the proper adjustment every year.

I guess the thought was that JV played great last year in the playoffs against bigger teams, and that the Cavs were the team he could play against, but he looked like he was limping out there, should've been taken out far earlier

gg tonight Raps-GAF.

About what I expected, to be quite honest. Series is likely to end in 5 at the very most. No disrespect to the Raps, but I think we all know CLE has been slacking and/or sandbagging for quite some time now. Based on roster talent, I see no reason for this series to last any longer than it did last year.

how did I know someone would catch this.
Why are you jinxing us when the games not over..... 😱

TTG

Since this series is over I wonder if Pop puts Danny Green on Harden for a half to avoid ain't that good getting cheap fouls then have him guard Harden in the 2nd half.

I want to see what the team concept is going to be with pick and roll. Maybe play it straight up 2 on 2.

If he was on the Bucks/Hawks/Pacers he only reaches the ECF at best.

Timeout.

Brogdon + Middleton + Snell who became East-Klay somehow + Giannis + Lebron + Thon Maker + Greg Monroe + Delly, there's 8 players of an 8 man rotation for the playoffs.

Middleton/Brogdon/Lebron/Snell/Giannis/Thon Maker, and you just switch EVERYTHING on defense. Lebron, Giannis, Thon Maker all play center if necessary.

You have plays where Brogdon/Delly, Giannis, Lebron all handle the ball, setting screens and then becoming the ball handler, etc.

Lebron on the Bucks is straight up a possible contender against the Warriors, given that they are a pretty good matchup against the Dubs with their length.

Why are you jinxing us when the games not over..... 😱
Benches have been cleared, it's over.

That's exactly how they played Harden last time they played Houston from memory.

Two things intrigue me.

1. Lou Williams was not as hot in the last matchup, and I saw his speed take advantage of less athletic and slower wings/guards and bigs so much in the OKC series. I see him speeding past Parker/Mills and being huge in this series, hopefully.

2. Rockets choked multiple times and played well offensively and came out to earlier leads. That never happened in the Thunder series. They were great at late game execution, sloppier to start, in those games, total opposite of our regular season match-ups

Raptors in a Game 1.

I just have no answer.

It's Raptors in game 1.

This is probably the least crushing Raptors game 1 loss I can remember of the last 3 years.

The bigger thing to take away isn't the loss, it's the stretches the Raptors were playing really well. There's legitimate potential for them to threaten the Cavs.

Boogs31

Valanciunas is the main problem in the starting lineup, he's too slow to be effective in transition and in the half court he clogs their spacing. They should cut his minutes if he's not effective. They have to get better production from Patterson off the bench because he's the type of player that should be effective in this series. Tucker should start over Carroll to better match him up with LeBron's minutes. Norman Powell should be coming into the game much sooner in the 1st and 3rd quarters to maximize his minutes because they need more playmaking on the floor. The Cavs are trapping Derozan leaving 4 on 3 situations that Powell can capitalize on. The 7 guys that should be playing the most are Lowry, Derozan, Powell, Carroll, Tucker, Patterson, and Ibaka. Joseph and Valanciunas should play just enough to rest the main 7.

Demar Derozan getting paid almost 30m a year for the next 5 years means Raptors will never amount to much

And you got Lowry (whose making only 12m) becoming a UFA in a year .

Valanciunas is the main problem in the starting lineup, he's too slow to be effective in transition and in the half court he clogs their spacing. They should cut his minutes if he's not effective. They have to get better production from Patterson off the bench because he's the type of player that should be effective in this series. Tucker should start over Carroll to better match him up with LeBron's minutes. Norman Powell should be coming into the game much sooner in the 1st and 3rd quarters to maximize his minutes because they need more playmaking on the floor. The Cavs are trapping Derozan leaving 4 on 3 situations that Powell can capitalize on. The 7 guys that should be playing the most are Lowry, Derozan, Powell, Carroll, Tucker, Patterson, and Ibaka. Joseph and Valanciunas should play just enough to rest the main 7.

I thought he played okay, no? Saw some nice lane and post shots from him. If anything it seems like he could use more shots. But maybe not; I wasn't paying a lot of attention to him.

Demar Derozan getting paid almost 30m a year for the next 5 years means Raptors will never amount to much

And you got Lowry (whose making only 12m) becoming a UFA in a year .

Considering Derozan is a legit perennial all-star talent I don't think that's a fair assessment.

IMO, Lowry is weak-minded in the mold of the last decade of Atlanta Hawks: great regular season, too inconsistent and weak to get beyond the first couple of rounds. They could upgrade at the 1, 3 and their bench and be good to go.

AKA: Every lesson the Raptors learned from the Raptors series. Casey smh.

Finally found the gif version of this

Brandson

This all should have been obvious to the coaching staff heading into this game. It's like they're deliberately throwing the first game. They abandoned everything that was working for them from the last series and went back to their square one, which had already failed royally against the Bucks. I don't get it.

This all should have been obvious to the coaching staff heading into this game. It's like they're deliberately throwing the first game. They abandoned everything that was working for them from the last series and went back to their square one, which had already failed royally against the Bucks. I don't get it.

Just hazarding a guess, but I would assume that they believe that Valenchukaljfa;djal; provides a post matchup advantage that they did not have over the more athletic Bucks front court. Something they could turn into an inside-out advantage? Most teams with a tall big that has a strong postup game is going to be able to score effectively over Love, Thompson and Frye.

Ultimately he only played 20 minutes and only took 7 shots. IDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom