• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogs31

I thought he played okay, no? Saw some nice lane and post shots from him. If anything it seems like he could use more shots. But maybe not; I wasn't paying a lot of attention to him.

3 of 7 for 6 points, 6 rebounds in 21 minutes. That's not enough production for a guy that has such a size advantage over his matchup. He's not good defensively and isn't a good release valve when the Cavs trap. If he plays like that in game 2 I would take him out at the 6 minute mark of each half and leave him on the bench. No way I would play that dude more than 12 minutes if he's not producing.

Considering Derozan is a legit perennial all-star talent I don't think that's a fair assessment.

IMO, Lowry is weak-minded in the mold of the last decade of Atlanta Hawks: great regular season, too inconsistent and weak to get beyond the first couple of rounds. They could upgrade at the 1, 3 and their bench and be good to go.

So Lowry shrivels in the playoffs but Derozan does not ?

Derozan hardly shoots 40% in his playoff career

There's no way any legit team can have Derozan as their #2 player. He's kind of a fraud.

Brandson

Just hazarding a guess, but I would assume that they believe that Valenchukaljfa;djal; provides a post matchup advantage that they did not have over the more athletic Bucks front court. Something they could turn into an inside-out advantage? Most teams with a tall big that has a strong postup game is going to be able to score effectively over Love, Thompson and Frye.

Ultimately he only played 20 minutes and only took 7 shots. IDK.

Valanciunas clogs the lane though which makes Derozan and Lowry much less effective at driving. He also has too many lapses on defense. The Raptors are a much better team when they abandon any attempt at a post offense. If the Raps would go to Val on way more of the trips down the floor, then maybe that works, but he gets so few plays called for him, that most of the time his presence just helps the other team defend against the Raptors' best players. They should play Ibaka at centre, and go small and fast more of the time, especially at the start.

Boogs31

This all should have been obvious to the coaching staff heading into this game. It's like they're deliberately throwing the first game. They abandoned everything that was working for them from the last series and went back to their square one, which had already failed royally against the Bucks. I don't get it.

Agree with you for the most part. My only defense for Casey is referencing what happened with Boston yesterday. They turned around the Chicago series by putting Gerald Green in the starting lineup, but against Washington, Green was a disaster. You can't fully know how lineups are going to work against a specific opponent until you play them.

Lowry will be fine against this Cavs team. DeRozan worries me the most. He slows down the game so much and the ball movement isn't there with him on floor.

It depends. He had to take over distribution responsibilities to a great extent when Lowry was out, and he got better at passing, and has in general gotten better from ball movement in that stretch

Tommy DJ

Dunno what he was expected with Lee's defense but I guess Pop just wants to yell at the team minutes into the game because the Spurs seems to have a habit of having cold 1st quarters.

Derozan literally puts his head down gets clogged in the paint then just throws the ball away. He's an awful passer and decision maker

TTG

Pop with a "go sit down!" to David Lee. Spurs look like they didn't have a walk through or something, disorganized. Half of them want to switch, the other half pursues.

Pop is about to kill Lee.

What killed Capela in the OKC match-up? Bulky bigs like Steven Adams and Taj Gibson that could stop his springy jumps to the rim.

What killed Dedmon in the Memphis match-up? Bulky bigs like Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph that could stop his springy jumps to the rim.

You can't put Parker + Lee and Aldridge out there and expect the Harden-Capela pick n' roll to be stopped. Dedmon needs to be in there. If Dedmon vs Nene becomes an issue, well, Nene is worse defensively and not as springy, then you put Lee or Pau in.

Slizeezyc

If Andersen outplays LMA like he did in that first stint it's a wrap.

LMA shouldn't be guarding Anderson anyway. Pop refuses to not play two bigs, and he's going to pay for it until he gets over it. His two bigs can't move or stretch a team enough to justify this nonsense.

"Best team in the league at defending the 3" 😂😂😂😂

This team is total fools gold. Even if we do mount a comeback I can see the series being a disaster overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom