• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrage

Mike Brown deserves some cred for how the Warriors are playing, since you know any losses he's gonna take an oversized share of the blame.

The Celtics are young already and they have a ton more youth on the way. Trading IT for a middling lottery pick doesn't help in any way.

I'm not even sure what trading IT would help. He's not this 35 year guy in his last legs, he could still have at the very least 5-6 legit years of legit basketball in him. The team doesn't need to get younger.

Any possibility of the Celtics beating Lebron for the next few years starts with IT. They already have some pieces that could help and more are coming. With the rights picks and the right trades it's possible to beat the Cavs. It would be a tougher sell if you just give up your best player for a fucking lottery pick that has 1% chance of being as good as IT is right now.

LionPride

Banned
$400/500m is a little more than an exageration lmao.

IT getting a max is prob gonna be shit in the back 2 years of the deal. But if they let him walk the team is in the dumps for a good while and you gotta hope the talent they have replaces him well and also wants to stay. Kt seems like the strategy is basically wait until the Cavs and Warriors break up then try. I get it butn5 uears from now is unknown.
I
I agree letting him walk is dumb, but a team with four great to decent picks ain't gonna be terrible if they trade IT.

People thinkin short term, not long term

TTG

Mike Brown deserves some free for how the Warriors are playing, since you know any losses he's gonna take an oversized share of the blame.

Draymond and Klay + second unit has been awesome. Any time Ian Clark can get near 15 minutes and McCaw is on the bench is good. I don't know if any of that is Mike Brown, but he hasn't looked stupid yet.

Snyder is smart though. He's gonna look at the tape and there's gonna be 9 easy points off pick and roll in the second half alone by design, Draymond leaving to help automatically. He's gonna make Iggy continue to lay those bricks. There's counter moves to be made for sure.

Tom Penny

I
I agree letting him walk is dumb, but a team with four great to decent picks ain't gonna be terrible if they trade IT.

People thinkin short term, not long term

So what are you getting in return for IT who makes 6 million a year? It ain't a good player or cap space...oh wait. Imaginary team is going to trade a lottery pick for a player with 1 year on his contract then he's an UFA..

LionPride

Banned
So what are you getting in return for IT who makes 6 million a year? It ain't a good player or cap space...oh wait. Imaginary team is going to trade a lottery pick for a player with 1 year on his contract then he's an UFA..
You act like a team like the Magic or Kings or Pelicans wouldn't make that trade thinking they get better with him

TTG

David West looks so much better with the Warriors than the Spurs. Who knew he had this kind of passing?

Even if they got a lottery pick for IT it sure as hell isn't going to be better than the picks the C's already have. Is getting a pick outside the top 5 for a guy like IT even close to worth it?

LionPride

Banned
Even if they got a lottery pick for IT it sure as hell isn't going to be better than the picks the C's already have. Is getting a pick outside the top 5 for a guy like IT even close to worth it?
For a team that can draft well? Absolutely. Celtics, don't exactly have a lot of misses besides Fab Melo. James Young is still like 20. Rozier is aight. Smart and Brown are good. Getting a pick outside the top 5 could work, but I'm positive a bottom 5 or team close to it, would trade for him as well
I guess the whole free agent in a year thing hasn't registered..
And the Celtics get nothing by letting him walk

For a team that can draft well? Absolutely. Celtics, don't exactly have a lot of misses besides Fab Melo. James Young is still like 20. Rozier is aight. Smart and Brown are good. Getting a pick outside the top 5 could work, but I'm positive a bottom 5 or team close to it, would trade for him as well

It's still another pick they don't need more than a guy who actually helps them compete at the highest level. The C's are loaded with youth and picks coming over the next few years.

There is absolutely zero chance Boston is trading IT this offseason. I don't care if they get the number 1 pick, or sign Gordon Hayward, or trade for PG/Butler/Blake/whoever. Not after the season/playoffs he's had. Not happening.

Tom Penny

You still haven't told me what they get for IT. You can't comprehend nobody is trading for a free agent with one year on his contract... Tell me what hell they will get for him. Your dumbass pipe dream of a lottery pick is laughable..

LionPride

Banned
IT isn't walking if the Celtics are willing to pay

It's still another pick they don't need more than a guy who actually helps them compete at the highest level. The C's are loaded with youth and picks coming over the next few years.
I just don't see the point in paying someone who will be 30 is all
You still haven't told me what they get for IT. You can't comprehend nobody is trading for a free agent with one year on his contract... Tell me what hell they will get for him. Your dumbass pipe dream of a lottery pick is laughable..
Your dumbass idea that paying a max contract to a 30 year old 5'9 PG will help you in any way is laughable. What do you gain by doing that? You can get a pick and potentially a good to great player in return down the road while maintaining a good core minus IT.

I don't see the point in paying him all that money beyond wanting him to retire there.

BEAT THE SPREAD

giphy.gif

Your dumbass idea that paying a max contract to a 30 year old 5'9 PG will help you in any way is laughable. What do you gain by doing that? You can get a pick and potentially a good to great player in return down the road while maintaining a good core minus IT.

I don't see the point in paying him all that money beyond wanting him to retire there.

Championship windows are short and often unpredictable. What if Jaylen Brown turns into a role player? What if whoever they take with the Brooklyn pick is as injury prone as Joel Embiid or Greg Oden? You can stockpile assets all you want but the Celtics have a potential ECF team now. You pay IT4, you hope you can get another 2 or 3 years at this level, continue to add players and build and worry about paying him for his decline years later.

LionPride

Banned
Championship windows are short and often unpredictable. What if Jaylen Brown turns into a role player? What if whoever they take with the Brooklyn pick is as injury prone as Joel Embiid or Greg Oden? You can stockpile assets all you want but the Celtics have a potential ECF team now. You pay IT4, you hope you can get another 2 or 3 years at this level, continue to add players and build and worry about paying him for his decline years later.
But they are capped out as an ECF team for the next 2 to 3 years. That's it. Brown has shown he will probably develop to be a good player for em. Boston develops well and he'll fit in to take over for Jae. The Celtics don't have a championship window and when they will, IT will have a lot of their cap space.

But they are capped out as an ECF team for the next 2 to 3 years. That's it. Brown has shown he will probably develop to be a good player for em. Boston develops well and he'll fit in to take over for Jae. The Celtics don't have a championship window and when they will, IT will have a lot of their cap space.

An ECF teams means you have a shot at the Finals. Maybe LeBron falls off a cliff faster than people think, maybe that roster in Cleveland becomes bloated and he can no longer carry them. Who knows? You roll with that chance because building ANOTHER ECF/FInals team is not as easy as you make it seem. Again, people take these kinds of championship/contender windows for granted.

Tom Penny

What pick? Nobody is trading a good pick for him what part can't you comprehend ? Who trades lottery picks to rent a player for s year? Do tell..

LionPride

Banned
What pick? Nobody is trading a good pick for him what part can't you comprehend ? Who trades lottery picks to rent a player for s year? Do tell..
INEPT TEAMS. OF WHICH THERE ARE QUITE A FEW.

I listed out three teams that are stupid enough to do that.
An ECF teams means you have a shot at the Finals. Maybe LeBron falls off a cliff faster than people think, maybe that roster in Cleveland becomes bloated and he can no longer carry them. Who knows? You roll with that chance because building ANOTHER ECF/FInals team is not as easy as you make it seem. Again, people take these kinds of championship/contender windows for granted.
I don't believe IT helps that team win 2-3 years from now. Until LeBron does fall off, I won't bet against him. That is the one hypothetical not worth worrying about until it literally happens.

mjp2417

Banned

IT obviously has glaring deficiencies that will never go away, but superstars who can singlehandedly take over playoff games in the 4th are extremely rare. You don't give one up unless you have been beating your head against a brick wall for like 6 years with nothing to show for it and have no cap/roster flexibility left. Not to mention, there would be riots in the streets if Ainge traded him this summer.

LionPride

Banned
IT obviously has glaring deficiencies that will never go away, but superstars who can singlehandedly take over playoff games in the 4th are extremely rare. You don't give one up unless you have been beating your head against a brick wall for like 6 years with nothing to show for it and have no cap/roster flexibility left. Not to mention, there would be riots in the streets if Ainge traded him this summer.
And? There would have been riots here had ZBO, Marc, or Conley been traded. Two of those three should have been traded because the Grizzlies will likely be stuck in 5-8 range mediocrity. Do what you must to advance long term. Celtics are in a better place, I just don't want them wasting time on someone who'll be 30 and pay him for 5 years.
Name one instance in NBA history were it has happened ...
Demarcus to the Pelicans, they just had the caveat that if they still sucked, they kept the pick.

There is absolutely no reason to trade IT at this point. If you're looking over your shoulder worried about Cleveland winning , that is just foolhardy. You never know what injury could happen or what roster changes other teams will make.

And even then the Warriors will probably be the favorites in the NBA for the next 4-5 years anyway. You will constantly be waiting if you or looking at other people.

INEPT TEAMS. OF WHICH THERE ARE QUITE A FEW.

I listed out three teams that are stupid enough to do that.

I don't believe IT helps that team win 2-3 years from now. Until LeBron does fall off, I won't bet against him. That is the one hypothetical not worth worrying about until it literally happens.

Again, 2-3 years from now is 2-3 years from now. If you are an ECF team you do what you try to win now. It's the same concept with Horford. Al is not going to be a $25 million/year player in 2-3 years, but you still give him that contract because he is helping you now, when you are close. You seem to think you can just plug in and replace great players like nothing and keep chugging along. Like, you keep bringing up the number 1 pick, as if 19 year old Markelle Fultz is just going to step in and replace allstar/mvp canditate Isaiah Thomas in an instant and the team will keep chugging along. It's ridiculous honestly. Jaylen Brown has had by all accounts a pretty good rookie season, and even he hit a wall and has been unplayable for large parts of the playoffs. That's what rookies do. It's an insane amount of pressure to ask a 19 year old point guard to just step in and keep a team competitive over the next year or two, and completely unreasonable and unrealistic.

LionPride

Banned
Again, 2-3 years from now is 2-3 years from now. If you are an ECF team you do what you try to win now. It's the same concept with Horford. Al is not going to be a $25 million/year player in 2-3 years, but you still give him that contract because he is helping you now, when you are close. You seem to think you can just plug in and replace great players like nothing and keep chugging along. Like, you keep bringing up the number 1 pick, as if 19 year old Markelle Fultz is just going to step in and replace allstar/mvp canditate Isaiah Thomas in an instant and the team will keep chugging along. It's ridiculous honestly. Jaylen Brown has had by all accounts a pretty good rookie season, and even he hit a wall and has been unplayable for large parts of the playoffs. That's what rookies do. It's an insane amount of pressure to ask a 19 year old point guard to just step in and keep a team competitive over the next year or two, and completely unreasonable and unrealistic.
Celtics have an out with Horford, they will likely not have an out with IT.

I believe in long term advancement. There will not be long term advancement with IT being paid. They will not take down the Cavs with this roster. They will not take down the Cavs with the addition of Zizic and Yabusele, hell they won't beat the Cavs with Fultz/whoever else.

IT being paid hinders them in the future thoigh. Trying to get a max PG/Hayward and pay a max IT will hinder them.

Celtics have an out with Horford, they will likely not have an out with IT.

I believe in long term advancement. There will not be long term advancement with IT being paid. They will not take down the Cavs with this roster. They will not take down the Cavs with the addition of Zizic and Yabusele, hell they won't beat the Cavs with Fultz/whoever else.

IT being paid hinders them in the future thoigh. Trying to get a max PG/Hayward and pay a max IT will hinder them.

the bolded is where you are wrong. Incredibly wrong. A team that has a deep roster, flexibility, and a good blend of young and old players who has a legitimate chance at the ECF has long term advancement. You seem so certain about what will happen in the future with the Celtics, but the possibility of the Cavs and their salary cap dumpster fire situation, or LeBron being in year 14 and possibly losing a step or two, is just impossible for you to entertain. You have your mind made up, so whatever. If I'm the Celtics I play this out over the next 2-3 years. Maybe they don't get over the Cleveland hump, but when you have this shot you maximize it. You are overthinking things big time.

random25

Boston has too many picks to even want another pick. And there's really no other player other than the marquee superstars that are worth trading for IT right now. Just continue developing a winning culture while getting and developing young talent then go from there. Even if LeBron and Cavs went down eventually, Golden State will be dominating the league for quite a while anyway.

Tom Penny

And? There would have been riots here had ZBO, Marc, or Conley been traded. Two of those three should have been traded because the Grizzlies will likely be stuck in 5-8 range mediocrity. Do what you must to advance long term. Celtics are in a better place, I just don't want them wasting time on someone who'll be 30 and pay him for 5 years.

Demarcus to the Pelicans, they just had the caveat that if they still sucked, they kept the pick.
So what your saying is nobody is going to trade a guaranteed top pick for Isiah Thomas but you move it for that anyway...

LionPride

Banned
the bolded is where you are wrong. Incredibly wrong. A team that has a deep roster, flexibility, and a good blend of young and old players who has a legitimate chance at the ECF has long term advancement. You seem so certain about what will happen in the future with the Celtics, but the possibility of the Cavs and their salary cap dumpster fire situation, or LeBron being in year 14 and possibly losing a step or two, is just impossible for you to entertain. You have your mind made up, so whatever. If I'm the Celtics I play this out over the next 2-3 years. Maybe they don't get over the Cleveland hump, but when you have this shot you maximize it. You are overthinking things big time.
Maybe, I just foresee the Celtics falling into 2nd round/ECF Raptors level if they keep IT

Same reason I really don't want the Raps to keep Lowry

Maybe, I just foresee the Celtics falling into 2nd round/ECF Raptors level if they keep IT

Same reason I really don't want the Raps to keep Lowry

being perpetually in the ECF is not an easy feat, that's what you seem to be overlooking. You are basically putting yourself in the position to be one or two breaks away from a championship. That's where you want to be. Especially if you are a team like Boston that, thus far, has shown the ability to develop and trade for those secondary pieces like Brown and Crowder. The problem that teams like the Grizzlies and the Clippers had that shortened their contending windows is not being able to do that. Boston, if they keep their current system and coaching staff round, will not have that same problem. They aren't going to be going into must win playoff games with Luc Mbah Moute starting or Paul Pierce's corpse getting significant playing time.

You can trade IT4, and draft a bunch of young guys and there is zero guarantee that you will be as good as you are now.

mjp2417

Banned

The Grizzlies have been beating their heads against a brick wall with nothing to show for it for 6 years and have no cap flexibility left, nor do they have two high end lottery picks in consecutive drafts coming up. These are radically different scenarios.Were you advocating a Conley/Gasol/ZBO trade in 2012?

LionPride

Banned
The Grizzlies have been beating their heads against a brick wall with nothing to show for it for 6 years and have no cap flexibility left, nor do they have two high end lottery picks in consecutive drafts coming up. These are radically different scenarios.Were you advocating a Conley/Gasol/ZBO trade in 2012?
No, but before Marc signed his deal? Before Conley signed his deal? Yeah. I wanted them to tank and start over, get ahead of the curve and rebuild sooner rather than later.

With the Celtics, I'm still positive that IT doean't help them in the future. I don't foresee him being able to score this much in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom