• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marz

Keep in mind small fast guards deteriorate extremely fast after 30 when they start losing speed. Happened to Iverson and it will happen to IT except hes even shorter.

Tom Penny

Yep, he's gonna get the max somewhere. Now will Boston get something in return or let him walk?
They won't get anything because nobody is giving up anything of value. You keep thinking they will which is not reality. There are zero players with his salary even close to his production so player for player is out of the question. You think they could get a lottery pick which they can't.. and won't.

spyder_ur

Sometimes it's best to keep the great players you have instead of chasing a fever dream. IT still has more than a few good years left.

Max him out when he's a free agent, unless he's willing to take a significant discount this offseason, and then worry about it later.

Exactly. If you're the Celtics and you've been chasing a top 10-15 player, well now you have one. You're up 2-0 in the conference semis. You have a top 4 pick coming and another next year. Your cap is in good shape. There is really no urgency here. There are choices to make, but they're good choices to have.

I think you might be overestimating Ainge's draft record. Bradley was a nice find, but Smart and Olynck ( a de facto pick) are unremarkable relative to their draft position, Brown and Rozier are still too unproven to say either way, and the rest of their current core was acquired in trades or free agency. Danny is great at fleecing teams via trade, but he is not clairvoyant wrt evaluating 19 year olds. Bradley is really the only home run in like at least a decade.

Well they are by definition remarkable given that they are non top 5 picks playing meaningful minutes in their 3rd-4th year for a team that is winning in the conference semifinals. That's literally not true of anyone else in their draft classes. Winning matters.

I think you're underestimating how much 1 top 10 player can improve a basketball team. Especially a player that is a top 10 offensive and defensive player like Butler is. And yes the Celtics would have had to give up their "future" to acquire him but they wouldn't have to give up all their future picks plus a bunch of key role players to get it done. Both Brooklyn picks and Smart with Zeller thrown in would have probably gotten it done. And I don't care about rumors that the Bulls wanted players, any rational gm would accept that trade. The Celtics with the exact same rotation with Butler in Smart's place is every bit a title contender.

I like Butler (though I think he has gotten slightly overrated this year) and I think he would made them a better team this year and in the immediate future.

But that's way too much to give up for Butler, if the reported price is true of both BK picks, 1 of Smart/Brown and one of Crowder/Bradley. Personally I think that Avery Bradley gives you about 75% of what Butler does, and he's amazingly a year younger.

I'm not against consolidating for a star, but I'm not sure Butler is the right one, and the price was prohibitive if he was available at all.

Keep in mind small fast guards deteriorate extremely fast after 30 when they start losing speed. Happened to Iverson and it will happen to IT except hes even shorter.

With the recent length of careers in pro basketball (and other sports), I'm really not sure those comparisons hold up. After watching the generation of Kobe, Pierce, KG, Dirk, etc play well into their mid to late 30s, I'm not positive what the norm is anymore. The game has changed as well. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that we don't really know.

Besides, the Iverson comp isn't really the best. Iverson came into the league younger, played way more minutes and carried a way bigger load at his age than IT has. IT has really only consistently been a primary player since he came to the Celtics.

Boston finally has the scoring machine they've been trying to get for years and as soon as he has the team in a position to get to the ECF people are talking about moving him for a pick.

DrMungo

Boston finally has the scoring machine they've been trying to get for years and as soon as he has the team in a position to get to the ECF people are talking about moving him for a pick.

seriously, IT has a killer clutch instinct, and can drop 30 a night, and potentially 20+ in the 4th quarter. He's is the right person in the right time in the NBA (small-ball, 3s), to build around. Pay the man

I'm not really a fan of iso scorers if they don't have great handles, but to each his own.

Yeah, I honestly think the Warriors play faster when KD isn't on the floor most of the time.
The game actually really picked up last night when KD when to the bench, but caught FIRE when Curry also sat... Draymond started running the floor w/ Klay and the bench, and the lead actually extended.

And watching KD try to ISO whoever it was that was guarding him, trying to cross him up, but dude wasn't falling for it, so he ends up raising up for the jumper isn't how I like to see the Dubs hype it up.
It's one thing when Curry does it, because he's quick, got handles and is smaller than most of the people covering him. Watching Curry put Gobert through the spin cycle, the same way he did it to Gortat, pulling show and go disappearing acts is just amazing.
Watching KD try to do the same thing is not the same at all.

I love KD on the team, but the Warriors need to stop trying to force his involvement and just know that he will get his when he is feeling it. and even if he never really get's it going, he's still great and drawing in defenders, making good passes, and getting to the line.

oh, and Barkley is right. Teams need to stop switching these big men on to little guards. They getting embarrassed out there. LOL. I enjoy watching it, but they gotta be smarter.
Curry switching out for a Gobert cover out at the 3pt line, only to leave him there so he can score at the rim is something they should be trying to prevent. LOL

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
REMINDER: A 73 win team ADDED the 2nd best player in the league.

When they win the championship, it will be tainted with an asterisk.

Imagine if the championship Bulls added Hakeem Olajuwon without giving up anything of much value.

You can't hate on a team that is basically cheating with their roster they don't deserve?

WTF is this.

Why do the NBA playoffs always bring out all the garbage hot takes.

Bread

Banned
I think you're underestimating how much 1 top 10 player can improve a basketball team. Especially a player that is a top 10 offensive and defensive player like Butler is. And yes the Celtics would have had to give up their "future" to acquire him but they wouldn't have to give up all their future picks plus a bunch of key role players to get it done. Both Brooklyn picks and Smart with Zeller thrown in would have probably gotten it done. And I don't care about rumors that the Bulls wanted players, any rational gm would accept that trade. The Celtics with the exact same rotation with Butler in Smart's place is every bit a title contender.
It was stated MANY times that the Bulls didn't want picks for Butler, they wanted 3 of the Crowder/Bradley/Brown/Smart core group. The Celtics wouldn't be here with Butler instead of 3 of those guys. Also I don't know why you would even mention Zeller, he is going to be playing in Europe in the next couple seasons.

It was stated MANY times that the Bulls didn't want picks for Butler, they wanted 3 of the Crowder/Bradley/Brown/Smart core group. The Celtics wouldn't be here with Butler instead of 3 of those guys. Also I don't know why you would even mention Zeller, he is going to be playing in Europe in the next couple seasons.

Reminder, Ainge essentially got Isaiah Thomas for taking on the Tyler Zeller contract from the Cavs.

Yeah, I honestly think the Warriors play faster when KD isn't on the floor most of the time.
The game actually really picked up last night when KD when to the bench, but caught FIRE when Curry also sat... Draymond started running the floor w/ Klay and the bench, and the lead actually extended.

And watching KD try to ISO whoever it was that was guarding him, trying to cross him up, but dude wasn't falling for it, so he ends up raising up for the jumper isn't how I like to see the Dubs hype it up.
It's one thing when Curry does it, because he's quick, got handles and is smaller than most of the people covering him. Watching Curry put Gobert through the spin cycle, the same way he did it to Gortat, pulling show and go disappearing acts is just amazing.
Watching KD try to do the same thing is not the same at all.

I love KD on the team, but the Warriors need to stop trying to force his involvement and just know that he will get his when he is feeling it. and even if he never really get's it going, he's still great and drawing in defenders, making good passes, and getting to the line.

oh, and Barkley is right. Teams need to stop switching these big men on to little guards. They getting embarrassed out there. LOL. I enjoy watching it, but they gotta be smarter.
Curry switching out for a Gobert cover out at the 3pt line, only to leave him there so he can score at the rim is something they should be trying to prevent. LOL
I saw those isos as the Dubs trying to get him back into rhythm. Until last night he had only played little less than 2 full games in these playoffs

They don't usually run KD isos unless they're in trouble with the clock almost out

WTF is this.

Why do the NBA playoffs always bring out all the garbage hot takes.

Can you blame people for hating thought?

A top 5 player joined a SEVENTY THREE WINS TEAM.

He fucked the competition up the ass for the foreseable future. What could have been another amazing finals series is in all likelyhood gonna turn into a formality.

Besides, the Iverson comp isn't really the best. Iverson came into the league younger, played way more minutes and carried a way bigger load at his age than IT has. IT has really only consistently been a primary player since he came to the Celtics.
Iverson also didn't take care of his body and refused to adjust his game as he declined. IT doesn't seem like that type.

XiaNaphryz

They are not wrong though..

Fu(k the Warriors and

most importantly...

https://youtu.be/zMTm6AiGF7Q

Just sucks when you already know who's going to be in the finals and win before the season starts....

Can you blame people for hating thought?

A top 5 player joined a SEVENTY THREE WINS TEAM.

He fucked the competition up the ass for the foreseable future. What could have been another amazing finals series is in all likelyhood gonna turn into a formality.

Look, I get it, especially being a Spurs fan. Hate the signing all you want, but to break out claims of cheating and asterisks is really really asinine.

Cornbread78

Look, I get it, especially being a Spurs fan. Hate the signing all you want, but to break out claims of cheating and asterisks is really really asinine.

well, yeah, I agree with that. I just think it's bull$hit even if it really is completely legit. Doesn't mean it didn't ruin the league this season (well the finals at least.)

He also drank like a fish and didn't practice.

Practice? C'mon, we talkin' 'bout practice......

Amory

Of course it's not actually cheating, but it's bad for the league that there's a team that has like a video game roster with force trades turned on.

The Jazz are a pretty good team and the Warriors beat them up without breaking a sweat. A 16-0 or 16-1 playoff record is firmly in the realm of possibility.

XiaNaphryz

Of course it's not actually cheating, but it's bad for the league that there's a team that has like a video game roster with force trades turned on.

The Jazz are a pretty good team and the Warriors beat them up without breaking a sweat. A 16-0 or 16-1 playoff record is firmly in the realm of possibility.

Like I said, I get it, but the last thing this thread needs is hyperbole getting spammed all over the place repeating really dumb takes. That's all I'm saying.

You can discuss competitive balance and free agency rules and whatnot fine if you're not doing the above.

Fjordson

"Superteams" are usually good for the league tbh. Always been that way in the past and so far this year playoff ratings are up.

I dont think theres another industry besides sports that you'll hear a super successful person move to a better company in a better location get called a bitch and coward for doing so.

People's real problem is that he's not playing for whichever team they root for.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...arcus-aldridge-san-antonio-spurs-nba-playoffs

Zach Lowe had a good piece on SA countering Houston

I dont think theres another industry besides sports that you'll hear a super successful person move to a better company in a better location get called a bitch and coward for doing so.

People's real problem is that he's not playing for whichever team they root for.

Nah, my problem is if he seriously goes under the max so that the Dubs keep Iggy. You can't be going under your value in an industry, this is standard practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom