• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I seriously believe hitta didnt know kawhi was good, and once he realized his mistake doubled down and went full troll.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I seriously believe hitta didnt know kawhi was good, and once he realized his mistake doubled down and went full troll.

Nah he is bitter about someone on this board or some talking head saying that Leonard wasn't that good at some point earlier this season. He has been bringing up that quote whenever Leonard goes off.

Line_HTX

So I had a strong feeling that the Spurs would tie it up 1-1 so I didn't really bother with this game. What's this about Tony getting injured?

bender

What time is it?
So I had a strong feeling that the Spurs would tie it up 1-1 so I didn't really bother with this game. What's this about Tony getting injured?

Landed awkwardly on a drive to the basket and collapsed. Clutched his knee. Non-contact injury. Carried off the court. Pop is saying his status is "not good".

Line_HTX

Man... if this is indeed Parker's final shot, this would be a cruel coincidence that two different Tony's had their careers ended in the same year.

:T

Subitai

Just give him Murray's knees and we're good.
Maybe I should have used the "drinking from the fire hose" metaphor instead. They started Cory Joseph a few years ago last
time Parker went out, but I feel like he had more experience in the system.

The demanding team defense Pop runs hurts more in these situations.

Any lingering Bulls fans on here? John Paxton and Gar Forman held a press conference and it's pretty obvious they are going to trade Jimmy Butler and their first round pick for a heavily protected second round pick in 2021 a trade kicker or cash considerations.
That's the Bears.

Tall4Life

I dont think it would be an ACL tear, as he didn't twist his knee from my point of view, he just impacted on it

then again im not a doctor

Dragun619

Good win for the Spurs and a nice efficient performance from Kawhi.

But man, If Tony is done for the season, then damn, this fucking sucks.

Zeke

Maybe I should have used the "drinking from the fire hose" metaphor instead. They started Cory Joseph a few years ago last
time Parker went out, but I feel like he had more experience in the system.

The demanding team defense Pop runs hurts more in these situations.
That's the big difference, Murray isn't ready to run the offense. It's gonna be pg by committee, might even see Manu start. I really hope it looks worse than it really is because he doesn't deserve to go out like that.

That's the big difference, Murray isn't ready to run the offense. It's gonna be pg by committee, might even see Manu start. I really hope it looks worse than it really is because he doesn't deserve to go out like that.

I think you would see Manu and Mills running the point with Murray filling in for Manu's typical role and playing point only at certain times during the game

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I dont think it would be an ACL tear, as he didn't twist his knee from my point of view, he just impacted on it

then again im not a doctor

A twist is a meniscus tear typically. Acls are a buckle or a planted leg applying too much force. Tony appeared to land awkwardly and his knee buckled.

We've discussed this over and over again, just depends where you rank him.

Nobody in the world would rank lma over kawhi... Except you.

With all these lebron runs and superteams, I'm so happy Nowitzki got his ring when he did. Looking back, they only had a 1 year window and they pulled it off.

TTG

They're really going to have to lean on Patty and Ginobili. Parker looked really good getting to the paint too, flimsy/crafty lay ups once he got there, but he got there. Knocked down 2 corner 3s too. At least he got one final love tap from Pop.

- Aldridge on Ariza shouldn't work again. Wasn't Ariza's bread and butter cutting to the rim? Unless the Spurs saw something on tape, perhaps a Fraudriza?

-Spurs looked gassed at the end of the third. Kawhi carried them and the game turned somehow after Parker's knee imploded(helps that Harden only played 3 minutes in the 4th), but they were tired. Do the Spurs have the legs to stay with them? If the Rockets keep running they may cry uncle honestly.

-Kawhi is at the 4 and all the basketball nerds rejoice. I wonder if they can justify keeping him there with Parker out, more Jonathan Simmons?

-Kawhi and Green found Harden a lot more on defense this time. Harden bullshitted Parker and Patty both into free throws, but other than that it was those two, good stuff. I still don't like them automatically sending help from the corner, I don't feel like that's inevitable. Especially if Harden is having one of those nights which he has regularly.

Good stuff from the Spurs, but you can see there's no "fixing" a number of things the Rockets do. It looks like they'll see a steady diet of open 3s all series for one.

random25

With all these lebron runs and superteams, I'm so happy Nowitzki got his ring when he did. Looking back, they only had a 1 year window and they pulled it off.

They could have repeated had their owner not played cheap. The window ultimately closed when they let Tyson Chandler go.

Tommy DJ

Would it be a dumb idea for Spurs to implement a similar system as Houston and have Kawhi run the point?

Yes, Kawhi is nowhere near as good of a playmaker/passer as Harden. Though, the guy has improved astronomically every off-season that the original Bruce Bowen comparisons seem hilarious now.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Never forget Jordy Nelson walking off on his torn ACL

Honestly

The fact three of the top 5 players are SF is insane, why can't the SG position have that much depth anymore
I tore mine and attempted to play basketball for another 5 minutes. Walking with a limp isn't hard. Went to urgent care and they stretched and pulled me to test it out. I left and they said it wasn't torn. Didn't get better so I went on and got an MRI. Yup, torn.

Never forget Jordy Nelson walking off on his torn ACL

Honestly

The fact three of the top 5 players are SF is insane, why can't the SG position have that much depth anymore

Zach Lavine played something like another 6 minutes after he did his ACL earlier this year. Non-contact knew injury is almost always ACL from all the sport I've watched.

cADNsoI.png

random25

Honestly

SG position is a pretty muddled position. Harden for example plays the off guard before but now is the primary PG in D'Antoni's system. Paul George is supposed to be tall SG but then was relegated to SF spot after Granger's injury and never moved since. Westbrook plays like a SG but is relegated as the primary ballhandler for the Thunder. Giannis sometimes plays off guard, sometimes point guard.

Besides those guys, there's still a lot of top-level SGs in the NBA, like Klay, Beal, McCollum, DeRozan, and Wade (used to be when healthy). They just aren't as do-it-all guys like the current crop of elite SFs in the NBA.

Tommy DJ

Nah man LMA is better then Kawhi

Its hilarious that he even thought about that because people have been looking into how much of an analytical nightmare Aldridge really is since he's done little to nothing in 8 games.

Currently, he's the worst jump shooter in the playoffs with .327 effective field goal percentage. He also has the single worst regular season plus/minus vs. post season plus/minus of any NBA player who has played at least 1000 post season games since 1980.

He's getting paid $20 million to do this. Looking at these stats, I'm actually not sure how much longer he lasts with the Spurs if he doesn't up his game dramatically.

Boogs31

Well yea it's going to be hard for any true big man to guard Channing fuckin Frye who's flaring out to the 3 point line.

It sort of reminds me of when we had Illgaskus and Verijao in the middle and we ran into that Orlando Magic team that we lost to in the ECF or whatever back in the day. Too many big shooters to try to get back out and cover (Rashard Lewis, Turkoglu) was our undoing. But I don't know if that's a fair situation to critique his value in.

That said I didn't watch the series vs the Bucks to have an opinion, but Greg Monroe is a great C and Ginnias is a load for any front court to deal with...so...eh...idunno. Maybe I'm just making excuses for him because I like him. I just feel like in a better situation he can give a team 15-18 every night, defensive weakness notwithstanding. I don't understand why he can't.

I loved his potential coming out of the draft but he hasn't fully lived up to it. He has moments and games that he shows what he's capable of but he's not consistent. The 3 things in my eyes preventing him from being a go to guy offensively is he isn't consistent enough scoring over his right shoulder (his jump hook over his left shoulder is really good), his passing out of the double team is poor, and he sometimes takes too long to get into his moves. He also struggles with the same thing Tristan Thompson struggles with, not being able to catch the ball in traffic and go up in one motion. He has to catch it, get his balance (he brings the ball to his waist and gets stripped a lot), and then go up for a dunk.

Boogs31

Its hilarious that he even thought about that because people have been looking into how much of an analytical nightmare Aldridge really is since he's done little to nothing in 8 games.

Currently, he's the worst jump shooter in the playoffs with .327 effective field goal percentage. He also has the single worst regular season plus/minus vs. post season plus/minus of any NBA player who has played at least 1000 post season games since 1980.

He's getting paid $20 million to do this. Looking at these stats, I'm actually not sure how much longer he lasts with the Spurs if he doesn't up his game dramatically.

I feel like that plus/minus stat is quite misleading. To have a huge dropoff of plus minus from regular season to postseason means his plus/minus was really good in the regular season right?

I think Reggie Miller eluded to this in the broadcast but I'm pretty sure he's dealing with a knee issue.

He has been playing terribly but I can't give him a lot of flak cause of the heart-issue he had recently. Who knows what's on his mind. And the 20 million is not horrible if we remember that Horford gets 26, Bosh - 23 , Drummond -22, Monroe - 17, Kanter-17, Noah-17, Byombo-17, Mahinmi -16. Big man get paid. He hasn't been playing conformable ever since he joined the Spurs, but he's better than the shit he's playing. Spurs with a new pg and some new wings for the 2nd unit, if that free-flow style comes back, he can still be an important piece. Not the dominant player they expected but still relevant.

overcast

Terrible shame about Parker. Hope it's not the end of his career but if it is it was a HOF worthy one.

Missed the game tonight but it seems like we really shit the bed in the 4th. Harden sounded stubborn in the press conference saying he just "missed layups/shots" while giving no credit to Kawhi.

Hope we can bounce back in Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom