• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize Olynyk is coming straight for K-Love, but come on. I'm surprised you don't think LeBron & Co can even get a game.
tumblr_o38e5pVdvt1s3gys4o2_r1_400.gif

Anth0ny

A part of me wants to see Durant fail against LeBron again after blatantly trying to ring-chase, it'll give me the same catharsis that Dallas in 2011 gave me. But then there's the part of me that really wants to see San Antonio get another chip which I think they'll get if they face Cleveland.

g state is definitely public enemy #1

amazing considering lebron james is having his run right now

TTG

Why are these people playing with the box score? Harden didn't really go 0-2 from 2, give me a break. Ha ha, we get it, post the real score.

Tommy DJ

Beat the Rockets in OT without Kawhi and then destroyed them in Houston in an away game 6. Where are the people who said Kawhi is playing with a bunch of scrubs

No one said Kawhi is playing with a bunch of scrubs. What everyone was saying was that the Spurs starters are often cold so Kawhi often has to do the heavy lifting. And that statement was largely true for the entire year: Aldridge was frequently cold despite having fairly high FGAs per game, Parker would put up near doughnut statlines and Green would spend entire stretches of games shooting extremely poorly.

The Rockets blew Game 5 by running a 7 man rotation for the style of game they play. The Rockets then completely vanished in Game 6 while Aldridge came to play after doing nothing against the Grizzlies and struggling to post up the entire Houston roster until this game. The Rockets vanished so badly that the team only managed to land nine (that's less than 10) 2 point field goals the entire game.

Two pointers
Spurs: 46/74 (62%)
Rockets: 9/37 (24%)

Three pointers
Spurs: 5/22 (23%)
Rockets: 13/40 (32%)

This is just embarrassing. Teams shouldn't take 40 and 50 3 pointers a game.

TTG

Speaking of which:

game 5: 103 to 86 fgas
game 6: 93 to 77

I'm no analyst, Erneh, but it seems to me that even if those were all 2s and they went in at the average the Spurs shot over those 2 games, 47%, that would mean a 31 point margin.

Two pointers
Spurs: 46/74 (62%)
Rockets: 9/37 (24%)

Three pointers
Spurs: 5/22 (23%)
Rockets: 13/40 (32%)

This is just embarrassing. Teams shouldn't take 40 and 50 3 pointers a game.

Yeah, they should. Especially when they're shooting worse from 2. Their 3 percentage isn't great, but their 3s were worth 1 point per shot. Their 2s were worth half that. (0.975 to 0.486).

TTG

Listen, Ernie. Harden's a Knucklehead for purposefully fouling out so early. A turrible, turrible Knucklehead.

That's why he's got no ringz Erneh. I would have went in there at half time and torn down the sink, flip the dinner spread, tackled Derek Fish... Ryan Anderson and that's what you gotta do. You wouldn't know anything about that Chuck.

beat

Shocking that when you rely on shooting 40+ 3s a game, you are a complete disaster unless you're hitting at a high rate. It's not sustainable.
I don't think taking a lot of threes is unsustainable. But I think a team overly powered by one superstar is particularly susceptible​ to being shut down by the kind of custom defense that can only happen in the playoffs.

Dug

Banned
How big of a factor do you guys think the coaching situation will be in the series (assuming Kerr doesn't return)?

Line_HTX

"We still feel like we're the better team."

Incredible. Fucking CUT Ryan Anderson immediately. He fucking sucks at home more than on the road, and he is so delusional. Get him outta my sight.

random25

How big of a factor do you guys think the coaching situation will be in the series (assuming Kerr doesn't return)?

The problem for the Warriors is not that Kerr is questionable to return. The problem is that Mike Brown is your interim coach.

beat

Assuming Kerr doesn't get much worse, I think he'll be able to contribute game-to-game changes. In-game, he's pretty good and it'll be a net loss to not have him there. But his dedication to a "Strength in Numbers" rotation can be his biggest weakness.

Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all time, but I think Golden State should get by in five. The Dubs have been pretty good at adapting in second halves... Granted, I guess that was with Kerr at the helm.

The Spurs contested 34 of Houston's 40 three attempts. https://twitter.com/Herring_NBA/status/862894939042181120

Yeah, they should. Especially when they're shooting worse from 2. Their 3 percentage isn't great, but their 3s were worth 1 point per shot. Their 2s were worth half that. (0.975 to 0.486).

So shooting terribly from 2 has nothing to do with a gameplan that has no mid range game?

You basically bet the house that you can shoot at least above 35% from 3 and be able to do well in the paint. If you can't do one of them(or in this case neither) you are screwed.

Is Pop missing something by not copying this gimmicky game plan?

Nafai1123

Banned

The Dubs arguably play better when he's been unable to coach. That's not a knock on Kerr, but more of a compliment to how much the team cares about him and wants to do right by him when he can't be there.

So shooting terribly from 2 has nothing to do with a gameplan that has no mid range game?

You basically bet the house that you can shoot at least above 35% from 3 and be able to do well in the paint. If you can't do one of them(or in this case neither) you are screwed.

There's a reason the mid-range game is shunned.

PMM7aNb.jpg

When the entire league shoots as good or better from 3, you shoot the 3.

It's 2017, mid range game is dead and gone for good reason.

i have no idea why people are completely counting out the Spurs against Golden State.

this is a Popovich team that was designed to dominate teams like GS and Houston.
they proved tonight that when they're running on all cylinders and have laser focus, they can demolish teams.

I hope we at least get a series. I just don't want the Warriors team to accomplish what the Lakers did during the Philly run.

Im8OcZR.png

i told you i was going to rub it in your face when the Spurs win the series, lol

Of course Houston and GS are alike, they both play basketball.

nah, they're both meme chuckers that like to spread the floor with everyone behind the 3 point line while someone drives and kicks.

Man, I miss the Spurs Lakers rivalry.

At this point though...eh if they win. I'm just hell bent on praying that Boston loses out.

why does it even matter who wins the Boston/Washington series, whoever it is will be swept by the Cavs.

but yeah, the Spurs/Lakers rivalry was legendary. so many crazy playoffs series between the two.

Incredible. Fucking CUT Ryan Anderson immediately. He fucking sucks at home more than on the road, and he is so delusional. Get him outta my sight.

he actually said that?... jesus. even Harden said the Spurs dominated.

i almost feel bad for Harden because D'antoni is such a shit playoffs coach. why the hell was Harden guarding LaMarcus and Pau in the post???

seriously though, what the fuck even are these splits (anderson in the playoffs)

4.2 ppg on 23.2% eFG/28.6% TS at home
15.6 ppg on 68.6% eFG/70.4% TS on the road

beat

nah, they're both meme chuckers that like to spread the floor with everyone behind the 3 point line while someone drives and kicks.
The Rockets topped the league in pick and roll/pop plays. The Warriors were near the bottom.

Also, the Warriors have a ton of off-ball movement. I don't think the Rockets do nearly as much; it seems to me like they rely on a pick up top, usually with Harden, to develop the rest of the play. The early part of Warriors' plays looks similar, maybe with a little more screen-the-screener at the start, but more importantly there's more movement from the other guys on the perimeter.

So did we figure out what drug they put in Harden's gatorade tonight? Cuz that's some shit to stay away from.

Harden was just shook from when Manu blocked him in game 5. he DID NOT want to shoot the ball.

The Rockets topped the league in pick and roll/pop plays. The Warriors were near the bottom.

that's because of Harden and Williams drawing all those fouls on those stupid plays where they stop at the top of a screen and catch defenders' hands.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
i've watched plenty over the years, especially the three games against the spurs this season where san antonio won 2 of them. and i saw this one,
One was the first game of the season. Hardly relevant. The other was back ups against back ups on the road. The one game that mattered had the Warriors destroying them on the road. Point being, if you consider the Rockets and the Warriors to be similar teams then again, I question how many games you've actually watched whistle to whistle. Yeah, both teams shoot a lot of 3s but the similarities end there.

One was the first game of the season. Hardly relevant. The other was back ups against back ups on the road. The one game that mattered had the Warriors destroying them on the road. Point being, if you consider the Rockets and the Warriors to be similar teams then again, I question how many games you've actually watched whistle to whistle. Yeah, both teams shoot a lot of 3s but the similarities end there.

Pretty much. I am only 33 years old and started watching the NBA when i was in high school so i missed a lot of early historically great teams and players, but from what i have seen, this warriors team is one of the most perfect teams in every sense that i have ever seen. They are scary good. They are not just shoot a bunch of 3s and hope for the best. They have a lot of failsafes when the 3s arent falling. They have incredible Defense, incredible offense and i honestly cant see any flaws in the team. Maybe mental? I dont know.

TTG

I know the Rockets look like dog shit tonight, but the Warriors' weakness on defense is pick and roll. Zaza is a statue, David West is too old and undersized, Javale is too dumb(sorry buddy). Steph and Durant aren't great on ball pick and roll defenders either. Utah had a lot of open looks at corner 3s because Draymond was leaving to help. Seeing how that's all the Rockets run, they would have been the tougher match up... on paper.

Aldridge is almost Dirk in pick and pop and post up jumpers in that they go in or they don't, there's no guarding a 7 foot tall big guy taking those, but Draymond has been good at it so far. I don't know why, but he has. If that continues, the Spurs don't have an advantage anywhere. Sure, this is the match up for Kawhi's defense to shine, but this isn't like where you d up Lebron and the Heat sink because everyone is old and broken.

Like I said, Mike Brown is the guy to watch cause:

V6GnsOk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom