• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickz

This series is over, unlucky Kwahi didn't hold out until 4th

Cleveland lucky they get to wait around until June since they are clinched a finals spot

Line_HTX

OguegqZ.gif

Bah Gawd Almighty, Bah Gawd Almighty!! That killed him!

Any props for Curry's performance given his reputation in the playoffs? He came up big in the second half.
He's been by far the 2nd best player in the playoffs the last 3 years. His reputation is based on that garbage finals last year and the overreaction that he wasn't the clear best player in the 2015 final for his team (he was). Dude has taken Lebron's mantle of getting shit on or ignored since Bron Bron won last year. I can't even take people seriously who think he was bad in 2015. Dude averaged like 30ppg on the 3 game run they won in a row and was 2nd to Shaq in all time ppg in the 4th quarter.

I hope Kawhi is at least 100% by game 3, though I do hope he gets fit 2 days from now.

spyder_ur

Have I said my daily Fuck You Mike Brown? Barnes and West combine for 18, Javale and Clark have 9? Zaza with 25 and you could only find 5 for McGee? Maybe Klay should start posting up again like Mark Jackson always wanted, because there are no play makers for half the time he's on the floor either.

There's a reason coaches rely on proven veterans deep in the playoffs. You want nothing to do with numbskull Javale McGee playing extended minutes against the Spurs.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
He's been by far the 2nd best player in the playoffs the last 3 years.

No he hasn't. Just this year, even if you still think Curry is better, he has not been by far better than Kawhi or John Wall.

There's a reason coaches rely on proven veterans deep in the playoffs. You want nothing to do with numbskull Javale McGee playing extended minutes against the Spurs.

Javale Mcgee has been nothing but outstanding for the Warriors this postseason. What are you going on about?

beat

"Intangibles" are kind of dumb, but... the team really does get energy from the kinds of alley-oops and blocks that McGee makes.

Plus, Pop and Kerr play their young guys. Whereas Mike D'Antoni, Mark Jackson, and Mike Brown have a rep for sticking to proven vets.....

TTG

And sometimes those veterans are washed. One indicator may be when the Clippers get rid of you. West is undersized in this series in a way that's going to be taken advantage of, he won't have easy assists to cutters either. McGee can actually finish in the paint and however dumb he is, getting a hand up a whole foot higher than West against Pau is better than not.

Mike Brown has a rep for sticking to proven vets..... being a terrible head coach and it's well earned.

Fixed that for you.

Ronin Ray

"Intangibles" are kind of dumb, but... the team really does get energy from the kinds of alley-oops and blocks that McGee makes.

Plus, Pop and Kerr play their young guys. Whereas Mike D'Antoni, Mark Jackson, and Mike Brown have a rep for sticking to proven vets.....

Pop has that reputation in the playoffs too. He sticks to his vets to much at times. Only difference this year is injuries so he doesn't have a choice.

More McGee time could have been a difference maker, especially during that terrible no rebound sequence that went on for like 5 real game minutes where the Spurs kept getting offensive rebounds and the Warriors were hopping around helpless like the Middle Schoolers on the court playing against the High School kids. it was a damn shame.

McGee needs to get in the game more. period.
Kerr needs to put a ear piece in Browns ear and coach from the locker room.

TTG

I wonder if he has energy to watch film and all the rest. Their line ups haven't changed through 3 rounds, Klay withering through like 6 games straight.

LionPride

Banned
I didn't really get people getting mad at Lebron's reaction.

"He could never play back in the day." "They call each other bitches all the time at the Y." Them niggas come to blows over that too.
Lol seriously, most people don't take kindly to seriously being called a bitch by someone.

spyder_ur

No he hasn't. Just this year, even if you still think Curry is better, he has not been by far better than Kawhi or John Wall.

Javale Mcgee has been nothing but outstanding for the Warriors this postseason. What are you going on about?

And sometimes those veterans are washed. One indicator may be when the Clippers get rid of you. West is undersized in this series in a way that's going to be taken advantage of, he won't have easy assists to cutters either. McGee can actually finish in the paint and however dumb he is, getting a hand up a whole foot higher than West against Pau is better than not.

I guess. This is not a regular season opponent or even the Jazz or Blazers. This is Pop and the Spurs.

Pop plays young guys that are smart on the court and have bought into the system for a couple years. That is not McGee, and I don't think there's a team better equipped in the NBA to take advantage of his mental errors than the Spurs.

There's much more downside than upside, IMO. They don't need more McGee to beat the Spurs.

I'm talking overall in the lat 3 years, he is the 2nd best after Bron Bron. I agree with you that LeBron, Wall and Kawhi have been more impressive overall this year. It's just this narrative that the guy underperforms in the playoffs which is one of the dumbest popular hot takes in the NBA.

Can someone tell me what has happened to Klay? I feel like I should blame Brown. Kerr usually makes plays for Klay to get into the groove when he plays like ass, Brown has no sense for this.

McGee is not a good fit vs the Spurs, prob the worst match up for him. He can't overpower them with height since they have it as well, and they're all high IQ players that know when to stop him.

TTG

Maybe Spurs fans don't care right now, but LMA looks like his old self. I don't know if the knee thing was a TNT narrative more than anything, but he had his lift and touch today. I think the Warriors actually switched Zaza on him instead of Draymond at one point, which you just never see.

Tommy DJ

Aldridge goes through stretches where he's good/bad and you can generally tell which version you're getting by his first few field goal attempts. If he misses most of them, he seems to mentally check out.

The silver lining in Kawhi going out is that everyone else gets more touches and Aldridge becomes the primary scorer again. But I seriously don't know how the Spurs are going to deal with Durant with Kawhi out. There just aren't enough people to cover the entirety of Golden State.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The silver lining in Kawhi going out is that everyone else gets more touches and Aldridge becomes the primary scorer again. But I seriously don't know how the Spurs are going to deal with Durant with Kawhi out. There just aren't enough people to cover the entirety of Golden State.
There's no silver lining. This is a sweep if Kawhi is out the rest of the series.

Cipherr

klay made that stupid comment about lebron getting his feelings hurt and then immediately ran away after they lost game 7

Fuck Klay, and the entire Warriors squad by proxy based on that shit. Klay is a bitch for that. Pop shit when it all looks good then run your ass to the locker room after you eat that L.

Clown ass.

Pastry

Banned
Spurs need to bench Kawhi for the series. If the Zaza play didn't happen I think they had a chance at taking the series. Chalk this one up as a loss. Let him heal, come back next year after spending some time developing the younger guys. He is still getting better so he'll be fire next year. There is a good young core to move forward with just need to figure out the LMA problem.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think that matters. He sat out last series, including the clinching game. Comes back and rolls his ankle twice immediately. It's clearly not right.
Does Pop though potentially risk losing the series to make sure that Kawhi is fine long term or put him in and roll the dice?

mjp2417

Banned
wouldn't go that far.

The dropoff from regular season numbers is actually pretty comparable in both cases.

LeBron 2011 Regular Season: 26.7/7.0/7.5 on .594 TS%
LeBron 2011 Finals: 17.8/6.8/7.2 on .541 TS%

Steph 2016 Regular Season: 30.1/6.7/5.4 on .669 TS%
Steph 2016 Finals: 22.6/3.7/4.9 on .580 TS%

Those are both pretty severe dips for generational talents.

I want to see the Spurs bite back after this and take the Warriors to a frustrating 6 or 7 game series while the Cavs sweep their next opponent and prepare for the Warriors :)

Does Pop though potentially risk losing the series to make sure that Kawhi is fine long term or put him in and roll the dice?

Honest question here, is there any way this injury could affect Kawhi long term? Ankle injuries can linger from now to the start of the next season and beyond? Knees, shoulder and back I know could fuck up a player pretty good, but ankles?

Tommy DJ

Honest question here, is there any way this injury could affect Kawhi long term? Ankle injuries can linger from now to the start of the next season and beyond? Knees, shoulder and back I know could fuck up a player pretty good, but ankles?

Ask Grant Hill about playing through an injured ankle.

Ask Grant Hill about playing through an injured ankle.

Shit, I didn't remember Hill had ankle issues. I think his injury and subsequent rehabilitation were so poorly handled that the whole situation almost looks barbarian in retrospect. I doubt the Spurs would screw Kawhi like that.

LionPride

Banned
Shit, I didn't remember Hill had ankle issues. I think his injury and subsequent rehabilitation were so poorly handled that the whole situation almost looks barbarian in retrospect. I doubt the Spurs would screw Kawhi like that.
He was lied to multiple times about that shit I mean jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom