• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
Not really talking about his range, but more about his style of play. He's no big time scorer like the current top PGs in the NBA. He's closer to an old-school PG ala CP3 or Kidd, but with height and length. That's why I feel like he's somewhat outdated. But with that height for a ball handler, maybe he can be trained to score more.
How can you not take his range into account? Also you seem to be ignoring his transition play. He is a guy who can push the tempo and keep the defense on their toes with his range which should open up other players' games.

TTG

Not to be cold, but I don't know how much they lose with Iggy out. Probably some defense, although against Kawhi and Lebron he would get knocked around anyway, some transition... except he can't finish. On offense he would have been ignored and/or used to stash whoever the other team decided needed rest. He probably can still contribute a lot on a given night, but who knows when that is.

If it were me, I would split Iggy's minutes between Javale, Livingston, and maybe Clark. I would certainly not have Zaza play all of 3rd quarter and leave David West out there any longer than is necessary, but what do I know? Plz come back Steve.

TTG

Speaking of which, straight from Reddit:

Doc Rivers was traded to the Los Angeles Clippers from the Boston Celtics in 2013, in large part because he did not want to be a part of a rebuilding team. The Boston Celtics have now reached the Conference Finals before Doc and the Clippers

TTG

Donald Sterling?

Rivers boldly spoke out against him the day after those tapes came out!

Anyway, 'ol Glenn has had 1 of the top 3 starting 5s for as long as he's been there and while the injuries haven't helped, he's also made a dumpster fire of all spots on the roster besides that core 4.

spyder_ur

Celtics won that game yesterday in the late 3rd and early 4th with that 22-5 run. Really fueled by the bench.

Any time Bojan, Jennings, Smith, even Mahinmi were in the Celts were able to take advantage, Smith was -13 in 3 minutes. Bojan -19.

Also what happened to Oubre? The Battle of the Kellys could not have been decided any more definitively.

So, barring a miracle, what would have to happen for the Celtics to have a fighting chance in taking this series against the Cavs? I guess they have the coaching edge with Brad vs Lue/LeBron...at least it seems Horford is playing better than he was in those regular season matchups?

Tall4Life

So, barring a miracle, what would have to happen for the Celtics to have a fighting chance in taking this series against the Cavs? I guess they have the coaching edge with Brad vs Lue/LeBron...at least it seems Horford is playing better than he was in those regular season matchups?

Horford, Bradley, and IT have to play the best basketball they've ever played.

Tall4Life

Hey guys, how does buying NBA tickets work in regards to buying tickets for later games in the series? I could possibly go to Game 6 in Cleveland, but if there is no Game 6, do I get my money back?

EDIT: Ok after looking, it seems like that is the case, though it doesn't seem like NBATickets is actually selling anything yet for Game 6. I can get tickets on Stubhub, but I imagine thats season ticket holder seats already?

They need to defend much better than they probably can. I think the Celtics will give the Cavs defense some big trouble, they actually move the ball and don't do one on one all the time like Toronto and the Cavs rotations are shit. The problem is they can't slow down the Cavs at all. They have the coaching edge like by ridiculously much, Brad is the second best coach in the league and Lue is a puppet, but talent wins out in the NBA, so yeah, it would pretty much take a miracle.

Weirder shit have happened though. The Cavs are not unbeatable.

Horford played like absolute garbage against the cavs in the regular season
If he can play like the past two series against lolove it'll be a huge improvement.

Cavs bench is pretty garbage, obviously if the entire team hits their 3's they will be gods.
Live by the JR die by the JR

Celtics got this 😎
Celtics win 1, maybe 2 games , Hayward comes in the offseason, LeBron gets shook.

jmizzal

Obviously in hindsight Bennett was a bad pick but I'm pretty sure every gm would have taken him in the top 5. It wasn't a very good draft and he had the tools to be a really good offensive player. He shot 40% from three in college, was athletic and already had a man's body. For a 19 year old that's a pretty intriguing package. The problem was he didn't improve his skills once he got to the league and his shooting range didn't extend out to the NBA three point line.

He was a twiner and would have been a terrible pick for anybody in the top 5, yes he was a top ten prospect but undersized PF almost never worth a top 10 pick.

when everbody thinks its a terrible pick, it usually is same with NFL

Joei

Horford played like absolute garbage against the cavs in the regular season
If he can play like the past two series against lolove it'll be a huge improvement.

Cavs bench is pretty garbage, obviously if the entire team hits their 3's they will be gods.
Live by the JR die by the JR

Celtics got this 😎
Celtics win 1, maybe 2 games , Hayward comes in the offseason, LeBron gets shook.

In what world is the Cavs bench garbage?

Bread

Banned
He was a twiner and would have been a terrible pick for anybody in the top 5, yes he was a top ten prospect but undersized PF almost never worth a top 10 pick.

when everbody thinks its a terrible pick, it usually is same with NFL
I don't remember him being mocked into the top 5 anywhere. It was a terrible pick at the time.

spyder_ur

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/864307257432866816/video/1

Seriously, what is with Wall's effort here, and Beal's to a lesser extent? There's 3 minutes left in game 7. This is horrible defense.

Also, laughing at Morris' pathetic attempt at a late trip of IT on this play.

I'm not gonna kill Wall because he had a ton on his plate this series and played pretty well, but this was not an isolated incident and he should be held accountable.

Bread

Banned

Seriously, what is with Wall's effort here, and Beal's to a lesser extent? There's 3 minutes left in game 7. This is horrible defense.

I'm not gonna kill Wall because he had a ton on his plate this series and played pretty well, but this was not an isolated incident and he should be held accountable.
They were done, dude. Completely exhausted. It happened every game this series too, I'd love to see a comparison of Wall in the 1st half vs the 2nd. If they don't get a backup PG that can get him off the floor for 10-12 minutes a game in the playoffs they are never going to be contenders.

Bread

Banned
I didn't realize he missed his last 11 shots. They wore him down again.
He wore himself down. Him and Westbrook have the same problem, they go all out in the first half and then by the time there's 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter their legs are shot and they have to settle for long 2s and contested 3s. If Wall hadn't hit that game winner he would be getting a lot of shit for his 4th quarter performances.

John Wall is a bad defender. Like really bad. He's not Kyrie Irving out there, but it's almost egregious how many times he fucks up his assignment or loses his guy or just close out poorly.

I'll never understand that because he has the tools to be probably the best defender in his position. Beal at least gives a fuck out there.

spyder_ur

'Smart Does What Smart Does'

It'll be remembered for Kelly O, but this is a fantastic breakdown of all the huge plays Marcus Smart made down the stretch of this game. The game turned when he came in with 6 minutes or so left in the third quarter.

I'm also really impressed with Jaylen. For a rookie getting inconsistent minutes to be able to come in and contribute in huge playoff games, that's really something. He still makes mistakes, but you can see him being in the right position and making the right play more and more. And it's incredible that I actually have some confidence in him taking corner 3s.

They were done, dude. Completely exhausted. It happened every game this series too, I'd love to see a comparison of Wall in the 1st half vs the 2nd. If they don't get a backup PG that can get him off the floor for 10-12 minutes a game in the playoffs they are never going to be contenders.

Yeah, you're probably right. They definitely wore Wall down in this series. Look at the Wizards bench plus/minus in this game. Bojan -19, Smith -13 in 3 minutes, which is actually pretty amazing.

Line_HTX

C_9Q_03UIAEIdmH.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom