• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

He didn't even practice today. And calf strains can be pretty painful depending on how bad they are, wouldn't shock me if he's out.

KD has a calf strain and is questionable for game 2. Goddamnit.

Dubs used up all their injury luck in the title year.

It's the Blazers. The Dubs can beat the Blazers without KD, especially if Nurkic isn't playing. The Blazers aren't bad offensively, but they're objectively bad on defense and everyone on Golden State can shoot the ball. Yeah, Portland gave three great quarters in Game 1 (and that was exciting as hell), but you're not getting 75 points out of Lillard and McCollum every night and if you have to rely on that to even make it competitive, you've already lost. Then again, I'm a Blazers fan, so I hope KD sits the entire series.

Also, you never get to claim to be cursed by injuries when going against the Blazers, because we can hit you with Walton, Bowie, Roy and Oden and stop any conversation dead in its tracks. "Oh, boohoo, one of your players lost two weeks rehabbing a sore thigh. Let me tell you about the time four franchise players in four different decades blew their knees to smithereens."

Fjordson

It's the Blazers. The Dubs can beat the Blazers without KD, especially if Nurkic isn't playing. The Blazers aren't bad offensively, but they're objectively bad on defense and everyone on Golden State can shoot the ball. Yeah, Portland gave three great quarters in Game 1 (and that was exciting as hell), but you're not getting 75 points out of Lillard and McCollum every night and if you have to rely on that to even make it competitive, you've already lost. Then again, I'm a Blazers fan, so I hope KD sits the entire series.

Also, you never get to claim to be cursed by injuries when going against the Blazers, because we can hit you with Walton, Bowie, Roy and Oden and stop any conversation dead in its tracks. "Oh, boohoo, one of your players lost two weeks rehabbing a sore thigh. Let me tell you about the time four franchise players in four different decades blew their knees to smithereens."
Sure, but it ain't about beating the Blazers tbh. Tryna get a ring.

Chase17

Pivotal game for the beloved celtics tonight. If they lose they are essentially going down
0-3 due to TNT home bulls in game 3.

Hitta93

Banned
Duncan wasn't really the "focal point" of the Spurs offense when he was 31 years old, and the game was far more slow paced back then too. Add to that the fact that Duncan played many many minutes at center, something Aldridge doesn't really do, and was thus huge for their defense (not sure about LMA's defense, have heard different things, but he's certainly no Duncan)
Not sure why you insisted on the age of 31.

On one more shot attempt per game Kawi is scoring 17 more points a game shooting 30% better from the field then LMA in the playoffs.. LMA should be the focal point amirite...
It's not Aldridge's team, he basically signed up to be Kawhi's running mate.

Kawhi also has never had a series as good as Aldridge(13/14 against Houston) either.

Kazoos lost the tiebreaker, have 7th seed if no one moves up from behind them.

I honestly think the Knicks claim the title for worst franchise this year. Kings seem to have some sort of future, Bulls are inexplicable but sometimes it lets them win, and Magic fired their GM, so who knows, and they mostly were just low-key this year.

@WarriorsPR

I doubt they sit KD but you never know.

They're about to rest KD in the playoffs smh.

How will the Warriors survive with their measly core of Curry/Klay/Iggy/Dray? They're down to only 4 MVPs playing for them.

Jazz + Gobert are a tough team.

See, if Gobert comes back, and the Warriors don't have Durant, THAT would be a difficult matchup.

Not sure why you insisted on the age of 31.

It's not Aldridge's team, he basically signed up to be Kawhi's running mate.

Kawhi also has never had a series as good as Aldridge(13/14 against Houston) either.

How old is Aldridge right now?

Also no. Kawhi was an emerging star back then, but it was set up as him being the 1A and Kawhi being 1B. And yeah, LMA had that monster series, but he was also 28, Kawhi is only 25, LMA got crushed in the next series, and Kawhi has performed at a much more consistent level and gone much further.

Last year, you could argue Kawhi didn't have the ability to really go off and score bucket after bucket to win a game, but he's become that sort of player, when necessary, this year

So after shit talking Miles after game 1, PG talked shit about Stephenson after game 2. He's definitely bailing.

some dude on reddit said:
If you don't rely on some dude's poor clickbaity paraphase of George's quote, you'll notice that he also said "Lance is looked upon in our locker room as a leader" and

"We all know that Lance is an emotional guy and a lot of it is his heart and his competitiveness" and

"He's just got to channel that and put it toward making effort plays on the court"

George is not good with handling the media yet

LionPride

Banned

Also no. Kawhi was an emerging star back then, but it was set up as him being the 1A and Kawhi being 1B. And yeah, LMA had that monster series, but he was also 28, Kawhi is only 25, LMA got crushed in the next series, and Kawhi has performed at a much more consistent level and gone much further.

Last year, you could argue Kawhi didn't have the ability to really go off and score bucket after bucket to win a game, but he's become that sort of player, when necessary, this year
They gonna keep going and won't admit they're wrong

George is not good with handling the media yet

I don't know man. If you were Lance Stephenson, wouldn't you be pissed if your teammate went to the media and said you needed to bring more effort on the court, even if they praised you in the locker room?

It might be a clickbait headline, but PG is still kind of shit talking him.

TTG

I'm only half paying attention, but this doesn't look like a pissed off favorite dropping a game at home coming back to kick ass type deal. And how many playoff teams could use Tony Snell? Totally forgot about him.

Hitta93

Banned

He's always shown that ability(he was Finals MVP, even though the worst I've ever seen), but again, he's been surrounded by HOFers his entire career.

We're going to disagree regardless, but until Kawhi has deep postseason success as the main guy, I can't boost him like I feel most of NBA fans do.

As far as I look at it, Kawhi and Aldridge have about the same amount of postseason success.

Wait why is this? Because he played through college?

Milwaukee guard Malcolm Brogdon, a candidate for rookie of the year, worked out for the Clippers before last year’s draft. “When you walked out of the interview with Brogdon, you were like, ‘My gosh, he should actually be running for president,’” Rivers said. “I actually made that statement. He’s more qualified … strike that. I didn’t mean that. But, he’s just over himself. He’s a great kid.”

Brogdon earned his bachelor's degree in history and his master's degree in public policy from the Frank Batten School of Public Policy and Leadership. In addition, Brogdon was a Senior CLASS Award and Allstate NABC Good Works Team honoree, and John R. Wooden Citizenship Cup finalist for his excellence in the classroom and community.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/10/30/malcolm-brogdon-virginia-cavaliers-acc-preview

About six months ago, Malcolm Brogdon mulled leaving Virginia for the NBA. At ACC Media Day prior to the season he had promised that he would return for a fifth season no matter what—that it was “set in stone.” But still, he wanted to consider all his options this spring. Had he accomplished all he could at Virginia? He had bounced back from a broken foot suffered his freshman year to start 71 consecutive games in two seasons, earning All-ACC honors twice and becoming a second-team All-America a year ago. He was weeks away from graduating with a history degree, too. But when he called his mother to seek advice, she reminded him that he had unfinished business.

But Jann Adams, Brogdon’s mom, wasn’t thinking of trophies when she asked her son to stay. She was thinking about his education, which she deemed far from finished. She wanted him to stay to get his graduate degree.

“In my family, graduating and getting your bachelor’s is just the beginning,” Brogdon says. “It’s only expected. You’re underachieving if you don’t strive for more than that.”

No one was surprised when Brogdon decided to stay for a graduate senior season, but everyone—especially coach Tony Bennett—was grateful. In his house, Brogdon is sometimes called Humble Moses, a riff on his most notable attribute and his middle name. But around the locker room, he’s picked up another nickname: president. It’s partly a joke about how carefully he speaks and how intensely he approaches everything from practice to academics. But it’s also a serious reflection by those around him that his most significant accomplishments will likely come off the court.

The entire family was transformed by that trip. Brogdon is the baby of the family, and it took some time for his feelings to manifest into action. But it wasn’t more than four years before he returned to Africa, this time to Malawi on a missions trip. He had a sense even then that he wanted to devote his life to helping others, but he wasn’t sure how that would work yet.

His grandmother Dolly had wanted him to go to Harvard, to which he had an offer, but he felt that Virginia would give him the best combination of education and elite basketball competition. He also made the decision for practical purposes: Ivy League schools don’t offer scholarships, but ACC schools do. Although his parents would have gladly paid for him to go to Harvard, he wouldn’t allow it. “He was always like that,” Gino says. “Even when he was in high school, he would evaluate the cost and benefit of working out with trainers. If they weren’t helping him enough, he would stop working with them because he didn’t want to waste our mom’s money.”

But despite how busy he is, he’s always looking for more opportunities to take advantage of while he’s at school. A couple weeks ago, he called his mother to ask if she could think of a creative solution to help him go on a trip to D.C. with a class he wasn’t even taking. “I was about to tell him, “I don’t think you can take this trip, Malcolm,’” Adams says. “He had two assignments due and he’d barely be back in time for practice. But he didn’t want to hear that. He hung up with me and called his advisor, and when he called me back, he had already figured everything out and was on his way.”

In D.C., he met with Virginia’s senators and came back inspired about changing people’s lives through policy.

Just listen to an interview with him, look at his play compared to many rookies. He's not a rookie, in almost every sense of the word.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/uva/dp-spt-teel-column-malcolm-rookie-20170414-column.html

But Brogdon passed on campaigning this spring, even as his Milwaukee Bucks coach and others touted him for NBA Rookie of the Year.

"Honestly, for me, I don't care in the least," Brogdon said during a phone interview this week. "I'm not big into the accolades. I love that people support me. I love that people really want me to win and are rooting for me, and I really appreciate that. But at the end of the day, I don't play to win awards. I play to win games, I play to be the best and beat the best. If you pay too much mind to these accolades and these awards, they serve as distractions, so I just try to keep that out of my head."

So when Bucks officials approached him late in the regular season about lobbying Rookie of the Year voters, Brogdon knew what should be done.

He asked the team instead to donate any campaign funds to charity. The Milwaukee Bucks Foundation has earmarked $5,000 and is working with Brogdon to identify a recipient.

Raptors should suit up Biyombo ASAP, he would be great for this match-up

Seriously, a rim-protecting, rebounding, 8'0'' wingspan, 6'9'' center is what the Raptors need BADLY right now

mjp2417

Banned
As far as I look at it, Kawhi and Aldridge have about the same amount of postseason success.

kawhi-leonard-nba-finals-miami-heat-san-antonio-spurs3.jpg

TTG

The Bucks have no foul discipline at all and Giannis isn't shooting well. these aren't good signs for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom