• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott Foster and Tony Brothers are officiating the Dubs-Blazers game tonight.

Coach Bud to continue to play Taurean Prince. He's gonna start him again tonight.

Thabo Sefolosha was a DNP in game 1. His Hawks career might be over. His contract is up in July, and clearly Coach Bud likes Prince.

The Celtics really should've drafted Prince

Taurean-Prince-Provides-Amazing-Answer.jpg

[Reporter:]
Ya, they said they have more rebounds and I was surprised, you did. 36-32.

[Taurean Prince:]
So.

[Reporter:]
“How does Yale out rebound Baylor?”

[Taurean Prince:]
Um… you go up and grab the ball off the rim when it comes off, and then you grab it with two hands and you come down with it, and that’s considered a rebound so they got more of those than we did.

I don't know Hyper, how is his athleticism? I remember Taj dunking on Wade, but that was a long while back. He had one rebound in OKC's first game against the Rockets, that's 1 lone defensive board. And what do the Celtics have that the Bulls would want?

The Oklahoma City Thunder got some help for Russell Westbrook by acquiring forwards Taj Gibson and Doug McDermott from Chicago just before the NBA trade deadline.

The Thunder announced the deal Thursday night.

The Bulls also sent a 2018 second-round pick to the Thunder. Oklahoma City sent Cameron Payne, Joffrey Lauvergne and Anthony Morrow to Chicago.

It wouldn't have taken much. Some size, any size would have helped. And from what I saw on the Rockets game, when he was switched onto Harden or a perimeter player, he did a decent job.

Also, regarding defensive rebounds, the Thunder really explicitly went out of their way to deny the Rockets the 3 pt line, and as a result Gibson was typically covering Ryan Anderson, and thus was on the perimeter. He can defend that, but the Celtics have that under control, and the Bulls don't shoot like the Rockets, so Gibson could easily take a more classic big man role in their defense.

For Marcus Smart, I'm confused as to why his role on offense gets him so many spot-up 3s. I know the Bulls are sagging off of him, but why not let him initiate and run the offense, try to make him like Rondo for the Bulls in that regard (who also can't shoot)?

ViciousDS

Banned
the more I think about it, the more I believe that Hoiberg really isn't that bad of a coach. He has a mixed group of misfits.....hell, even Rondo is fucking playing well and doing team ball. When was the last time Rondo actually played well without seeing him argue 80 times with teammates or the coach?

Sure they had that little stint earlier this season....but I think by now they've all learned how to get the most from each other. It's been probably two of the greatest wins as a team in this playoff run so far.

I just don't think Hoiberg has what he truly needs for his offense.....but I think in the end being 6th in defense, leading in 2nd chance points and still being near the half line for offensive efficiency for how little this team can shoot a deep ball, I actually find impressive for a 2nd year coach.

the more I think about it, the more I believe that Hoiberg really isn't that bad of a coach. He has a mixed group of misfits.....hell, even Rondo is fucking playing well and doing team ball. When was the last time Rondo actually played well without seeing him argue 80 times with teammates or the coach?

Sure they had that little stint earlier this season....but I think by now they've all learned how to get the most from each other. It's been probably two of the greatest wins as a team in this playoff run so far.

I just don't think Hoiberg has what he truly needs for his offense.....but I think in the end being 6th in defense, leading in 2nd chance points and still being near the half line for offensive efficiency for how little this team can shoot a deep ball, I actually find impressive for a 2nd year coach.

They are just playing the Celtics. Bulls are terrible.

BadAss2961

I don't think there's any realistic move that could've made the Celtics true contenders over the Warriors and Cavs. Signing Horford got the team closer to that point but it still requires a star to come from somewhere. In the meantime making smart moves, like drafting Zizic and Brown, keeps the options open for the future. Ainge has been far from perfect this season but he still has the team in a good position even if this series is fucking terrible right now.
If it makes you feel any better... For the foreseeable future, there isn't a realistic move anyone can make that puts them over Warriors and Cavs.

Duxxy3

If the Celtics get swept (and they probably will), is it time for a reset? They seem to be a great regular season team, but they don't have the starting talent for a short series.

I guess this is a stealth "can the Celtics win a title with Isaiah" post.

OldMan

Banned
Navy LeBron Nike Air 3's ^ 🔥
If you're gonna flip someone off, do it after you make a basket lol not missing an open 3 😂

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If the Celtics get swept (and they probably will), is it time for a reset? They seem to be a great regular season team, but they don't have the starting talent for a short series.

Nobody wins with just one guy. Isaiah needs a 1A to roll with him if he's gonna get far.

You can win a lot of games especially in the East without 2 stars in the regular season. That doesn't work in the post season.

Bread

Banned
7 points on 8shots... Not much to say.
the fact that he's getting the most blame for this is ridiculous. yes he is not good at rebounding but that has always been true, if you expected something different then that's on you.

The problem is Crowder/Bradley/Smart/Amir/Olynyk not stepping up. KO played fine last night but I really don't want him on the team next year. The team right now is built around Isaiah's drive and kicks and the Bulls defense is able to defend that easily with their length advantages. The lack of a second guard who can penetrate and create is holding the offense back. Thankfully there are a ton of creators at the top of the draft and Jaylen will play a bigger role next year.

I am totally against a "reset" or whatever because this team right now is full of talented secondary scorers, and we have the ammo to go out and get another guy using picks.

Ripenen

Why does it always have to be a reset for NBA teams? Does blowing it all up actually work?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
the fact that he's getting the most blame for this is ridiculous. yes he is not good at rebounding but that has always been true, if you expected something different then that's on you.

The problem is Crowder/Bradley/Smart/Amir/Olynyk not stepping up. KO played fine last night but I really don't want him on the team next year. The team right now is built around Isaiah's drive and kicks and the Bulls defense is able to defend that easily with their length advantages. The lack of a second guard who can penetrate and create is holding the offense back. Thankfully there are a ton of creators at the top of the draft and Jaylen will play a bigger role next year.

I am totally against a "reset" or whatever because this team right now is full of talented secondary scorers, and we have the ammo to go out and get another guy using picks.

No I'm not putting the blame solely on him,although he deserves some for sure. If he wasn't soft as shit we likely take game 1 buy Lopez bullied him all night.

He also is a big reason the bulls had 8 2nd Chance points in the first 10 minutes last night. That being said here is what to blame.

-IT- his night at the stripe is telling. He's money from there but he was garbage last night. He also is turning the ball over more than usual which is particularly awful given his assist totals. This is almost identical to last post season where he was turning the ball over and his percentages dropped.

- ab0-. We disagree on ab. He's not the defender he's made out to be, because of his size and his ability to get lost off ball. Yes he can be a pitbull on ball at times, but he's overrated at that part of his game. The bigger issue however is that he's an extremely limited scorer. He scores in 2 ways, mid range off the pick and spot up 3s. He hasn't done either of those things well at all and has also turned the ball over at a terrible rate.

- horford. Ropez is making him his bitch. He's played well offensively, but not nearly well enough to make up for his significant deficiencies on the other side of the floor. I saw him get boxed out by- dwade, rondo, and Lopez in the first 5-10 minutes of the game

-Jae crowder. Jae crowder has been an enigma to me his whole career. At times I think he's the most solid piece the celts really have in terms of mid tier players. His durability is a real question mark though and he continues to SUCK in the playoffs. He's defending like pure ass and can't hit a shot to save his life. An absolute non factor on one side and a sieve on the other.

- amir Johnson. Amir Johnson shouldn't play in the NBA period. He's a corpse out there.

- the bench-. Smart has been the only player who has shown any sort of grit in this series. I've cooled considerably on smart this year and this series doesn't change anything, but he has played to and or above his ability which is more than I can say for anybody else on this team. Everybody else though? GARBAGE. Zeller? D league. Rozier? D league. Olynyk? Mediocre. Gerald green? Lol.

I've given you my thoughts on a "reset". I don't know that this team has a true foundational young player. They have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players who Brad gets the most out of. I do like Al as a piece of a bigger puzzle but he's aging fast and I feel like we're still a few years off. I ate crow on IT this year but I still am not completely sold. I'm curious to see how jaylen progresses and whoever we land in the next 2 drafts. For now I think the horford signing is still a good one to show we can land the big names, and he's a good veteran transitional piece to compete in the mean time.

All of this being said it comes down to one thing imo- they can't handle the big stage. They only got the 1 seed because the Cavs were reeling. Hell they had a chance to show their " grit and grind" and got laughed off their homecourt by that same Cavs team that couldn't figure it out. The first year made sense. They didn't belong in the playoffs. They made a late season surge and the heat collapsed. Last year they were injured quite a bit which give them at least some of an excuse. There is no excuse this year. All due respect to Isaiah and his situation, and even if that was what was the problem for him, it doesn't explain the rest of the team throwing up a dud.

I think the issue with Hoiberg was that he was too deeply associated with a front office and organization that was screwed up. You saw "Fire GarPax" far more, because their GM was still shit. The issue with Hoiberg was that he had already, at least the assumption was, lost the respect of his players.

I would be willing to bet Rondo has probably been huge for him. If they win this series, he gets that respect back. Rondo was clearly keyed in, playing floor general, and based off of the role he has seemingly taken in Chicago as the veteran, helping their young players and d-league players, watching film, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Hoiberg came to some sort of agreement and working relationship on how to plan and prepare.

I just wouldn't be too surprised though if GarPax got extended but Hoiberg fired by the owner smh.

Two second rounders was not a decent trade for Nerlens Noel?

Let's be somewhat fair, Danny Ainge has never traded with the Sixers, and very rarely with in-divison teams. You can see how doing that can fuck a team over, look at Denver and Portland with Nurkic. Sixers probably wanted more.

But still, WTF.

FP2c8aR.jpg

smh

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-thunder-says-not-worried-anybody-defense-him

"I never worry about what other guys are doing; it doesn't bother me. I've seen it all already," Westbrook said, when asked whether he'd broken down film of how Beverley defended him in Game 1.
Asked Tuesday whether he gets up for his games when he'll be matched up against Beverley, who is likely to make an all-defensive team this season, Westbrook shrugged and questioned the premise of the question.

"My opinion on all-defensive team is different than you guys," he said ahead of Wednesday's Game 2. "I really don't know what to say to that. You can check and see what criteria goes to all-defense. I really don't know what the criteria is considered for all-defense.

"He's a good defender for their team, but I don't worry about nobody, how they're defending. I can pretty much do what I want to do."

media and Westbrook doing their best to make sure Rockets come out hungry

I think this is definitive proof that the C's did all that they could.

Time to go for Melo this offseason!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I think this is definitive proof that the C's did all that they could.

Time to go for Melo!

Man I'm not a Celtics fan but trading for Melo would be be awful. Might as well just get see what you get in the draft at this point. Just imagine a great rookie player on a good team surrounded by young veterans.

You'll still compete and be set for the future...think the Spurs when they drafted Duncan or the Lakers when drafting Johnson. You don't get this chance often.

EDIt: Unless you can get Melo without trading the Brooklyn pick...

Gigglepoo

The Celtics would be lucky to have as many franchise keepers after they cash in their chips as the Bucks do right now. 4 of the 5 best players are on Milwaukee (Giannis, Middleton, Maker, and Parker) with Brown and Brogdan a toss up. Kind of crazy how loaded the Bucks are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom