• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k10 official thread of git your ass back on the ship!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
pilonv1 said:
Hope it's not like me where my 50 OVR rated PG subbed out Chris Paul after 1 minute and ended up playing 35 mins in his first NBA game. Paul played 31 mins btw.

I was 12th on the depth chart, behind Darren Collison and Chucky Atkins yet being given 34mins in the rotation.

Yeah this game struggles between being a videogame and allowing you to .. well, play the game and "keeping it real" On my first game for the Jazz I played most of it at SG while having 20 to 10 less skill points than anybody on the team, lol

azn, just take smart shots and drive the lane! As a PF you should get plenty of easy looks inside or try to find an open lane for a layup.

rjcc

Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah this game struggles between being a videogame and allowing you to .. well, play the game and "keeping it real" On my first game for the Jazz I played most of it at SG while having 20 to 10 less skill points than anybody on the team, lol

azn, just take smart shots and drive the lane! As a PF you should get plenty of easy looks inside or try to find an open lane for a layup.

with my PF, starting out it's really hard to get open looks because you don't have the ball, your teammates don't always make good entry passes, and with no dribbling if you get the ball on the perimeter you can't get to the hoop, and it's hard to finish inside over taller defenders / anyone with such a low layup rating.

pilonv1

Raging Spaniard said:

It's bullshit thought - all the pre-realase hype stated you'd have to earn your minutes. I've invested a bunch of hours in my guy, trying to work my way into the NBA and all of a sudden I'm subbing out Chris Paul? Fuck that shit. I want to EARN my spot on the team not have it handed to me.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Raging Spaniard said:

See I like that though. They should give certain players attributes like speed, strength, etc, but you should be able to improve upon those things. If it all comes down to chance the game has too much control.

So hows the game? I'm thinking about buying this tomorrow as part of the b2g1 deal... how does it measure up against live? Also hows the online?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
pilonv1 said:
It's bullshit thought - all the pre-realase hype stated you'd have to earn your minutes. I've invested a bunch of hours in my guy, trying to work my way into the NBA and all of a sudden I'm subbing out Chris Paul? Fuck that shit. I want to EARN my spot on the team not have it handed to me.

Yeah, I agree. Not long ago Jerryd Bayless was kicking my ass in summer camp and now Ive kicked Kyle Korver out of the rotation, the mode needs more polish.

BTW you were right, 2k cam has almost no lag. Matter of fact its my favorite camera now :)

pilonv1

Raging Spaniard said:
BTW you were right, 2k cam has almost no lag. Matter of fact its my favorite camera now :)

I'm getting no lag at all and I can't explain why. I've always used that camer angle since 2k1 or so, it seems the most natural for basketball where you need to see the spacing on the floor.

Raging Spaniard said:

Do you mean online lag, or framerate slowdown? If you're talking about framerate then I've been sitting here without this game for no reason.

Sloegr

pilonv1 said:

I agree with that, but I'm not sure it'd appeal to a good chunk of their userbase. I saw a thread on the 2K forum complaining about still being in the D-League after 15 games. On the other hand, there was also a thread complaining that the mode was too easy.

If it weren't for the imbalance it'd cause in online matches, I would have liked to see the game allow the user to choose how highly regarded they were coming out of college. Were you an undrafted player who will struggle to stay on a D-League roster at first, let alone an NBA roster? Were you a top 5 pick, complete with guaranteed contract and a ton of talent? This would let impatient players be ROY and an All-Star right off the bat if they wanted, while others could work their way up over the course of a few seasons.

aznpxdd

Wait, what's this 2k cam you guys are talking about? D-League games (and NBA games I'm assuming) skips like a bitch for me in MyPlayer. Is there a fix to this or something?

pilonv1

Do you mean online lag, or framerate slowdown? If you're talking about framerate then I've been sitting here without this game for no reason.

Framerate, I haven't played online yet.

aznpxdd said:
Wait, what's this 2k cam you guys are talking about? D-League games (and NBA games I'm assuming) skips like a bitch for me in MyPlayer. Is there a fix to this or something?

It's not the D-League/Draft combine camera, which I believe is called turbo.

2k cam is basically behind the basket looking up the court but from a fixed spot. I have it at 1 zoom and 10 height. Slight frame rate hiccup when my defensive basket goes transparent as you run past it but that's it.

I'm 99% sure the frame rate problems are related to the Broadcast/side view cameras.

pilonv1 said:
2k cam is basically behind the basket looking up the court but from a fixed spot. I have it at 1 zoom and 10 height. Slight frame rate hiccup when my defensive basket goes transparent as you run past it but that's it.

Do you have auto flip on? I want to make sure that you only have the framerate drops when the camera spins on rebounds/made baskets, etc. when the "bottom" hoop is in view? That problem was in 2K9 as well especially during inbounds but I could deal with it. As long as it's the same here, I'll deal with it as well.

Also, what's this I'm hearing about Coaching option not saving? Auto subs, Auto timeouts etc. can't STAY on manual? What a mess of bugs. I was dealing with that problem in 2K2...

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
to improve your framerate turn off key zoom.

Also any flipping is likely to slow down a little bit. I use broadcast at 5-5 and everything is largely ok.

In some arenas it largely doesn't matter what you do. This happens to me at the quicken arena and whatever arena the 76ers roll at. Although I think i can fix it if I use High and zoom so close in i can pretty much only see my guy lol.

pilonv1

Net_Wrecker said:
Do you have auto flip on? I want to make sure that you only have the framerate drops when the camera spins on rebounds/made baskets, etc. when the "bottom" hoop is in view? That problem was in 2K9 as well especially during inbounds but I could deal with it. As long as it's the same here, I'll deal with it as well.

Yeah it's auto flip. I migrated to 2k Cam from High which used to have Auto Flip but now has nothing :(. If you remember the frame drop from 2k9 on 2k Cam it's the same, and the same on College Hoops 2k8.

Also, what's this I'm hearing about Coaching option not saving? Auto subs, Auto timeouts etc. can't STAY on manual? What a mess of bugs. I was dealing with that problem in 2K2...

Yeah they reset. So stupid, which is why I've been sticking with My Player until the Hornets fiasco.

LiquidJin

Banned
pilonv1 said:

It doesn't seem like the My Player AI is any different than regular games. Is this just a matter of the teammate rating having too much of an effect on yoir PT? Or that the game doesn't artificially change behaviors based on matchups and only relies on ratings and player control to limit abilities and potential?

I think the My Player minutes are based on you doing well.

My dude lost a ton of minutes when he got into a slump, but now that Ron got injured ( =( ) and my performance got up, I've taken Sasha's spot as Kobe's backup, as well as Farmar's spot as Fish's. It's fucking dope.

rjcc

I hurt a guy in one of my my player games, he was going up for a shot and I fouled him from behind. I got my goal for not allowing 2 field goals in the paint tho :)

I haven't seen any of the bugs on the PC version yet. I suspect the core gameplay bugs are there, but slowdown isn't an issue since you can scale the graphics to match your system.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
My point guard of the forever is about to take Jameer Nelson's job down in Orlando :lol

Averaged 20-12 during training camp and beat out 4 other guards to get on the roster. Elite PG skillz.

Raging Spaniard

Just to double check, is there ANY WAY to edit quarter length and sliders in "My Player" mode? Im never going to meet my "milestones" of triple doubles or 30 ppg with 5 minute quarters, also without sliders players like CP3 shoot 80% per game as an AVERAGE.

Basileus777 said:
thx, i'll add this bit to the OP.

Raging Spaniard said:
Just to double check, is there ANY WAY to edit quarter length and sliders in "My Player" mode? Im never going to meet my "milestones" of triple doubles or 30 ppg with 5 minute quarters, also without sliders players like CP3 shoot 80% per game as an AVERAGE.
ripped from the 2k forum.
(PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU'VE ALREADY STARTED A MY PLAYER CHARACTER IN NBA2K10, THIS WILL NOT WORK. YOU WILL NEED TO DELETE THE SAVE FILE AND START HIM OVER FROM THE CHARACTER THAT'S IMPORTED FROM THE DRAFT COMBINE)

1. Download the Draft Combine from the Xbox Live Arcade, play all of your games, and Upload him to the 2K Server.

2. If you've previously played NBA2K10, go into your System Memory and delete the My Player Career file that's on your hard drive for NBA2K10. To find your system Memory, from the Dashboard go to My XBOX, scroll to the right and go to System Settings and select Memory. Find the NBA2K10 files and delete the Career File.

3. Load up NBA2K10 and it will connect to the server and re-download the NBA Today features and everything else that it pulls from the server. After it's downloading all that, hit the Right Thumbstick and go to Options, then My NBA, then Gameplay.

4. Change the minutes to how every much you want (I go with 9), then hit B to back out a screen, then press B one more time (so you're back in the Options Menu and go to Load/Save. Go to Save Settings on the left, and manually save the settings you just changed.

5. To verify the minutes changed, go back to the Main Menu and click on Quick Game. When it comes up to select a team, Press Y to bring up the game options. The Quarter Length should say 9 minutes.

6. Go back to the Main Menu and go to My Player. Click Continue and it will ask you if you'd like to Load My Player or Import My Player. You want to Import My Player and the game will connect to the 2K server and download the My Player you uploaded from the Draft Combine.

7. One your player is Drafted, and you go to play your Summer League games, the quarters should be set to 9 minutes (or whatever you chose to set them to)

And there you go! Now you're all set up and ready to play!

adding minutes to myplayer mode is one of the things being considered for the patch.

Raging Spaniard

Okay, so I have to re-import and when I do it will make the game happen according to the default ruleset, gotcha. THATS FUCKING STUPID HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Sucks that it means I have to start over again, Ill just wait for the patch.

Raging Spaniard

Hey look! A double post! Thanks Firefox!

To add something of value though: Heres hoping the patch addresses regular bugs during "My Player". For the most part I think the evaluations are good, but the "bad steal attempt" and 'bad call for pass" ones work about half the time.

Raging Spaniard said:
Okay, so I have to re-import and when I do it will make the game happen according to the default ruleset, gotcha. THATS FUCKING STUPID HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Sucks that it means I have to start over again, Ill just wait for the patch.

Yeah at this point I'm waiting for the patch as well. =/ so frustrating because my player is such a good fucking mode

Raging Spaniard

chaoticprout said:
Yeah at this point I'm waiting for the patch as well. =/ so frustrating because my player is such a good fucking mode

Yeah, really looking forward to what they do with it next year. Would be cool to combine "my player" with "teamup" in a substantial way

Barrett2

I bought it today; im' still in for the league.

So what are the basic quick things / settings I should activate to make it run as smooth as possible?

pilonv1

LiquidJin said:
It doesn't seem like the My Player AI is any different than regular games. Is this just a matter of the teammate rating having too much of an effect on yoir PT? Or that the game doesn't artificially change behaviors based on matchups and only relies on ratings and player control to limit abilities and potential?

Ok there's some logic to this - I was brought up with an A+ team mate rating. Possibly the team mate rating affects your minutes.

rjcc

pilonv1 said:
Ok there's some logic to this - I was brought up with an A+ team mate rating. Possibly the team mate rating affects your minutes.

yeah I think that's what it is, you can be a garbage player, but if you get your teammate rating high enough, you'll get a callup

pilonv1

rjcc said:
yeah I think that's what it is, you can be a garbage player, but if you get your teammate rating high enough, you'll get a callup

This makes SOME sense, although I think the allocation of minutes needs to be tied to OVR rating.

lawblob said:
I bought it today; im' still in for the league.

So what are the basic quick things / settings I should activate to make it run as smooth as possible?
default side cam(broadcast i think) and turn off zoom-in-paint.
it'll run smooth with lil to no slow down except when in changes in posession.

btw, check your crew invitations, you should have one for gaf team.

Barrett2

viakado said:
default side cam(broadcast i think) and turn off zoom-in-paint.
it'll run smooth with lil to no slow down except when in changes in posession.

btw, check your crew invitations, you should have one for gaf team.

Cool, thanks. I'll log on in the next day or two and check for invitation stuff.

benjipwns

Banned
LovingSteam said:
I am waiting until the verdict of bugs in the PC before picking it up. I really hope if it does have bugs that a patch will be released with the console version. I just don't have confidence any batch will arrive :(
2K9 PC got the same patch as the consoles plus a few PC specific fixes. Even got a roster update with that patch.

There was also a stealth PC patch.

Raging Spaniard

pilonv1 said:
This makes SOME sense, although I think the allocation of minutes needs to be tied to OVR rating.

I like that theres a mixture between what the numbers say and how you actually play though. Its realistic in the sense that you could be playing out of your mind given your potential or, on the flipside, not living up to it.

If it was all related to your overall skill number, its like saying numbers are everything.

Sloegr

benjipwns said:
2K9 PC got the same patch as the consoles plus a few PC specific fixes. Even got a roster update with that patch.

There was also a stealth PC patch.

Do you recall if the PC patch was released at the same time as the console patch?

pilonv1

Raging Spaniard said:
I like that theres a mixture between what the numbers say and how you actually play though. Its realistic in the sense that you could be playing out of your mind given your potential or, on the flipside, not living up to it.

If it was all related to your overall skill number, its like saying numbers are everything.

I agree, but I don't think a 50 OVR PG should be playined 34 mins and more than Chris Paul no matter what their team grade is.

It should be dynamic based on grade + rating. So a 50 OVR & A+ grade would max out at 20mpg. 50 OVR + C rating gets you 10mpg or something.

DY_nasty

Is anyone else seeing guys player ratings drop after they get an increase from development drills?

I was working on Lawson's shooting then his player rating all of a sudden plummeted.

LiquidJin

Banned
pilonv1 said:
I agree, but I don't think a 50 OVR PG should be playined 34 mins and more than Chris Paul no matter what their team grade is.

It should be dynamic based on grade + rating. So a 50 OVR & A+ grade would max out at 20mpg. 50 OVR + C rating gets you 10mpg or something.

I'm not exactly sure how FIFA does it for their matchups, but I noticed that their calculations make everything seem relative.

So when you play as a 1 star team, your team will have no negative modifiers applied to it when matched up against another 1 star team. To the user this makes the game play at a normal pace. However, if your 1 star team plays against a half star team, all of the sudden the negative (and positive modifiers) make your team feel much faster and control much better than playing against an equally matched opponent. The half star team owner is cursing their players for being that artificial step behind.

And I'd like to believe it's dynamic and not all based on the team rating. Like the matchups are defense rtg vs offense rtg, and midfield vs midfield. Also, if a player gets carded out or injured then their replacement could change the ratings and thus the modifiers.

This plays out so well, because you know what your team is capable of, but the different matchups every game always change things up just a bit to keep you on your toes. That is until someone does the obvious and maxes out everything...

Anyway, I really wish that this made its way to My Player. I don't want things to be so realistic that I never see any PT, but I do want them realistic enough that when I get in and am matched up against a veteran 1st round pick that my player is negatively affected. He shouldn't be able to shoot hoops like he's in the driveway or be on his game like he would if he were playing against people he's known his whole life. And the game shouldn't expect me to either.

All negativity aside, these modes have reinvigorated sports games for me. I'm so excited about the potential for true scouting reports, play integration, coaches(and agents too) giving you real objectives for your 'up and comer' minutes instead of just leaving it so open or arbitrary, fielding team offers and accepting the best one for your career....and of course doing all of this in MP when the netcode can handle it.

DY_nasty

I love the My Player mode, just wish they had Superstar'd it up a little more.

Now that I'm actually on a roster and filling up stat sheets, I want my money. My Player mode needs to look more like this.

Also - WHAT THE FUCK is up with the development drills in Association mode?

aznpxdd

So...once you get picked up by a NBA team and do well, is...that it? There isn't anyway for me to choose where to go anymore? I don't want to be stuck on the Thunder my whole career damnit. :(

Raging Spaniard

aznpxdd said:
So...once you get picked up by a NBA team and do well, is...that it? There isn't anyway for me to choose where to go anymore? I don't want to be stuck on the Thunder my whole career damnit. :(

Play out your contract and see what happens! What, you want to demand a trade? lol Play like shi and theyll get rid of you, then you can find a new team ;)

rjcc

rjcc said:
how high is your teammate grade, etc? I think my teammate average is around B, I've got my rating up to 53 though. definitely need to check other players to see where my numbers should be

still shows 49 on the site, not my most recent stats

http://community.2ksports.com/community/user/blogs.cfm?blogid=4701

up to a 57 , still in the nbdl, I've been getting a's and a-'s recently but it took about 20 games before I got good enough to better than a B with any regularity, so my average teammate grade is still stuck at B. kinda hoping I don't get called up before the end of the season so I can get my stats up more.

aznpxdd

Hm, after poking around the net a bit, it turns out 2k10 PC doesn't fucking support 16:10. All it does it stretch the 16:9 image to fit a 16:10 screen (1920x1080 to 1920x1200 in my case). No wonder when I'm playing I get a strange feeling the the players and the court are out of proportion compare to my 360 2k10.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Online mode is so broken this year. I just got it today and I can't connect to a ranked game to save my life. I can't even find the lobbies, they need to set it up like it was last year. It was FINE.

I went on the official forums and found tons of the same complaints. Connecting to an online ranked game is brutal.

Connecting to team up is fine but thats only fun when you've got 3-5 friends on. Weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom