• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k10 official thread of git your ass back on the ship!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

I think its safe to say this is the last year 2k deserves any money on launch day.

I might have to go back to my 'friends don't let friends buy 2k sports games' mantra once more. :(

Some of you guys are tripping waaaaaay too hard.

Yes, 2k is not the best with servers. Yes, there are problems. But soooooo many games these days have similar problems, that I think 2k deserves more than 48 hours to fix the issues. If a week or two goes by and online is still junk, then we can all keep up with the screaming and yelling.

And the all the stuff about the game being unfinished...really? My copy seems finished. With a few slider adjustments this is the best playing 2k game yet. Lots of people are saying this on the OS boards. Unfortunately some of it is getting lost with all the posts about server and framerate issues. Which are valid, if you're experiencing those. I'm playing on PS3, though, and I haven't had a single frame rate problem. So maybe that's coloring my opinion.

Lot of awesome new features in this game, though. Loving NBA Today. Really cool seeing the real life overlays and commentary. There's so much potential for this in the future.

LiquidJin

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Some of you guys are tripping waaaaaay too hard.

Yes, 2k is not the best with servers. Yes, there are problems. But soooooo many games these days have similar problems, that I think 2k deserves more than 48 hours to fix the issues. If a week or two goes by and online is still junk, then we can all keep up with the screaming and yelling.

And the all the stuff about the game being unfinished...really? My copy seems finished. With a few slider adjustments this is the best playing 2k game yet. Lots of people are saying this on the OS boards. Unfortunately some of it is getting lost with all the posts about server and framerate issues. Which are valid, if you're experiencing those. I'm playing on PS3, though, and I haven't had a single frame rate problem. So maybe that's coloring my opinion.

Lot of awesome new features in this game, though. Loving NBA Today. Really cool seeing the real life overlays and commentary. There's so much potential for this in the future.

Man....idk know anymore.

I just uploaded a video of Kevin Durant fucking taking a jump shot, doing a pump fake in the air, landing, then passing the ball... no travel call. Guess what happened when I went to the site. It wasn't there! Even though it said it uploaded fine and I spent 15 minutes watching it update.

Not to mention that everytime you get in the paint with a player it feels like you are being pulled by magnets every which way but where you want to go. There is so much cool stuff about the way this game looks, but they are automating way too much stuff. Defensive assist turned to 0 is the same as set to 50, which is the same as set to 100. It's not cool that this stuff is allowed to pass certification, let alone for someone to think it's worth $60.

I had forgotten about Live 10 after one game of 2k10. But after 15 games, I'm ready to fucking return this and grab Live.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Well it seems like I was right about waiting. I'm really staring to wonder if 2K has a QA department that plays the game. When Sega was in charge of VC, I'm sure someone(s) tested each game to make sure shit was at least playable. With Live's shortcomings on it's Dynasty mode, I don't think it's a I really want this year. I guess I could download a 2K9 roster update with the 2K10 ratings.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
jobber said:
Well it seems like I was right about waiting. I'm really staring to wonder if 2K has a QA department that plays the game. When Sega was in charge of VC, I'm sure someone(s) tested each game to make sure shit was at least playable. With Live's shortcomings on it's Dynasty mode, I don't think it's a I really want this year. I guess I could download a 2K9 roster update with the 2K10 ratings.

Theres a difference between having a QA telling you whats wrong with the game and not having enough time/budget/team members to do something about it (which is what usually happens)

The Stealth Fox said:
Alas, the sails are falling off this ship.

Glad I didn't get it this year.
hold on there matee. its understood this game isn't finished, but with that said, this is by far the most realistic nba 2k i've played, and i've played all of them. rebounding has improved, there are dynamics in blocks, passing, layups. there's enough variations that whatever outcome you expect will be controlled by contextual variations.
my only gripe is its nearly impossible to stay in front of your man.
the next patch will justify the purchase.
pre-patch 2k9 was shit, it was nearly impossible to get a player/ranked match in the first few weeks.

so whats the lesson here? dont buy another 2k until the patch is released. its pretty indicative VC doesn't have resources to pump out a full game every year.

Barrett2

So is it mostly online features that are broken, or is it gimped even for a basic season play? I was really hyped for this; mostly for online league play, but sounds like it needs a lot of work. I don't know if I can stomach a sports game with choppy framerate, let alone all these other issues.

There are so many great things about this game but a patch is definitely needed. Once it hits it'll be great...but goddam it's going to take a lot of work.

My problem is just the very obvious "we don't give a fuck" aura I'm getting from 2k regarding the game. It is literally impossible to have missed half the bugs available in the game, and if there is only one thing 2k fans have been saying out of the ass a year before 2k10 even shipped was that the team up and online modes had better fucking work.

It's not a wonder that the servers are getting ripped harder than Bungies. Every little dumb thing you do requires some kind of upload to the server for a long loading process.

And people keep saying that team up will work great eventually...but what is great? We are almost in the year two thousand and fucking ten dammit...I want Call of Duty net code in this bitch ASAP. 4 green bar pinged lagless online.

Edit: On a positive note my association sliders are pretty awesome for version 1! I lost to the Pistons with my Grizz by 14 but it realistically should have been a closer loss if not a win. I completely lost my concentration in the 4th quarter and basically gave up but the end stats were realistic. 80 something to 98 with a lot of mid range shots, fewer points in the paint, a comfortable amount of foul shots and a realistic turnover rate.

Plenty of defense was played without there being the feeling that there was something "off" which is all too often the case with some sliders. Plenty of missed hooked shots, plenty of mid range jumpers bricking and a lot of defensive rebounds. The usual suspects did the bulk of the scoring in their actual fashion. A lot of Rip and Ben Gordon mid range shots off screens and open 3's and Tayshauns scrappy play made them the 3 leading scorers with Charlie V adding some in himself.

Going to continue tweaking.

The Stealth Fox

viakado said:
hold on there matee. its understood this game isn't finished, but with that said, this is by far the most realistic nba 2k i've played, and i've played all of them. rebounding has improved, there are dynamics in blocks, passing, layups. there's enough variations that whatever outcome you expect will be controlled by contextual variations.
my only gripe is its nearly impossible to stay in front of your man.
the next patch will justify the purchase.
pre-patch 2k9 was shit, it was nearly impossible to get a player/ranked match in the first few weeks.

so whats the lesson here? dont buy another 2k until the patch is released. its pretty indicative VC doesn't have resources to pump out a full game every year.

Well I had the PS3 version of NBA 2k9 and they never fixed the online with that, nor did they fix 2k cam. So why should I trust them to do anything now? They'll probably address 50% of those issues.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dark FaZe said:
There are so many great things about this game but a patch is definitely needed. Once it hits it'll be great...but goddam it's going to take a lot of work.

My problem is just the very obvious "we don't give a fuck" aura I'm getting from 2k regarding the game. It is literally impossible to have missed half the bugs available in the game, and if there is only one thing 2k fans have been saying out of the ass a year before 2k10 even shipped was that the team up and online modes had better fucking work.

It's not a wonder that the servers are getting ripped harder than Bungies. Every little dumb thing you do requires some kind of upload to the server for a long loading process.

And people keep saying that team up will work great eventually...but what is great? We are almost in the year two thousand and fucking ten dammit...I want Call of Duty net code in this bitch ASAP. 4 green bar pinged lagless online.

Edit: On a positive note my association sliders are pretty awesome for version 1! I lost to the Pistons with my Grizz by 14 but it realistically should have been a closer loss if not a win. I completely lost my concentration in the 4th quarter and basically gave up but the end stats were realistic. 80 something to 98 with a lot of mid range shots, fewer points in the paint, a comfortable amount of foul shots and a realistic turnover rate.

Plenty of defense was played without there being the feeling that there was something "off" which is all too often the case with some sliders. Plenty of missed hooked shots, plenty of mid range jumpers bricking and a lot of defensive rebounds. The usual suspects did the bulk of the scoring in their actual fashion. A lot of Rip and Ben Gordon mid range shots off screens and open 3's and Tayshauns scrappy play made them the 3 leading scorers with Charlie V adding some in himself.

Going to continue tweaking.

How have you set the help defense stuff? Easily the most annoying aspect right now.

2K admin said:
I project that this weekend will stress the servers in ways we haven't seen yet so it will probably be up and down for most of the weekend making it hard to start games. But by the time monday rolls around we will have learned the hardest lessons on what's going on with the servers in response to the load so things should start getting cleaner and cleaner from then on.

So i would say test it out this weekend and see what it looks like, but you can count on more consistent situation next week.
all i want is a stable server :(
good news i suppose.

also, 2k forum are having polls for the upcoming patch.
http://2ksports.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178
current polls including shot sticks, charges, alley oops and putbacks, hold ball too long, and time outs.

lastly, a list of issues they will be confronting for the patch.
http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236237 (post #2)

Raging Spaniard said:
How have you set the help defense stuff? Easily the most annoying aspect right now.
experiment by putting the help defense slider all the way to zero.

Raging Spaniard

viakado said:
good news i suppose.

current polls including shot sticks, charges, alley oops and putbacks, hold ball too long, and time outs.

lastly, a list of issues they will be comfronting for the patch.

If I do, how do I call for help defense if I DO want it? (lol I suck)

viakado said:
good news i suppose.

lastly, a list of issues they will be comfronting for the patch.

2K Sports is sure getting a black eye over all this. They had better get their asses working hard on the patches & servers.

And I'm sure NHL 2K10 will get zero attention. :-/

Don't get your hopes up too high for a patch. A patch will at most deal with only some of the issues.

ecnal

Raging Spaniard said:
If I do, how do I call for help defense if I DO want it? (lol I suck)

you can't.

it's an arbitrary fix that opens up other defensive issues.

and, fyi, the fix isn't just help-d set to 0. you also need to set defensive pressure to 100, and set ALL of your defensive matchup pressures to 'play tight.'

Raging Spaniard

speculawyer said:
2K Sports is sure getting a black eye over all this. They had better get their asses working hard on the patches & servers.

And I'm sure NHL 2K10 will get zero attention. :-/

Don't get your hopes up too high for a patch. A patch will at most deal with only some of the issues.

Team that works on NBA =/= team that works on NHL

ecnal said:
you can't.

it's an arbitrary fix that opens up other defensive issues.

and, fyi, the fix isn't just help-d set to 0. you also need to set defensive pressure to 100, and set ALL of your defensive matchup pressures to 'play tight.'

Awesome, thanks, that will help :)

viakado said:
good news i suppose.

lastly, a list of issues they will be confronting for the patch.

Jesus, so NBA 2K10 doesn't officially release until this patch comes out? It's the first time in years I've waited on getting this series.

turkey_69

Banned
I can't start a regular game, the camera keeps going back and forth between these two shots with the music playing

29c0xgp.jpg

xf515g.jpg

Rondo is at the center, waiting, and the rest of the team is lined up

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
PotatoeMasher said:
As Europe and Aussies are already getting the game, I don't understand why we have to wait until Tuesday. Steam preorder isn't even up and the game releases Tuesday. Fucking hell.
I preordered on Gamersgate for 17.95. Can't download until Monday, though.

aznpxdd

PotatoeMasher said:

Wow, the PC version looks so much better. Its like from another generation or something.

2K Admin said:
Also i've just got a report from our server engineer that says 360 is looking really good. So hopefully if you give it a try tonight you'll have more success.
hmmm...
anyone down to try teamup tonight?

Raging Spaniard

Yeah Ill again, might as well :lol

Also, teamup is always to be played with "My Player" right? Keep in mind my guy is like, a 43 right now ...

Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah Ill again, might as well :lol

Also, teamup is always to be played with "My Player" right? Keep in mind my guy is like, a 43 right now ...
you have the option of using your myplayer or actual nba player, when first entering the locker room, it will ask you if you want to use your myplayer. choose yes. when the game starts, each player will have an option of either using your own myplayer or actual nba players

newsguy

Has there been any talk of a way to alleviate the horrific slowdown in my player mode? The moment I played in front of a crowd the game became a slideshow, it's unplayable this way. The worst part? I'm really digging this mode, I like the xp progressions stuff, but I refuse to get D- everytime I play in front of a crowd due to slowdown.

Sloegr

Damn, the PC version looks so nice. I cancelled my preorder after hearing all the issues the game is having, though I will order it again if they get some good patches out there.

newsguy said:
Has there been any talk of a way to alleviate the horrific slowdown in my player mode? The moment I played in front of a crowd the game became a slideshow, it's unplayable this way. The worst part? I'm really digging this mode, I like the xp progressions stuff, but I refuse to get D- everytime I play in front of a crowd due to slowdown.
check these two threads.
http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235531
http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234589

btw, if you're registered at 2ksports.com and you've linked your gamertag to that account. you should be able to see your myplayer and his player attributes in your profile.
here's mine for example.

jeremiah viakado
p137213.png

i'll be compiling a list of everyone's myplayer by adding a link to their myplayer page

LiquidJin

Banned
I finally played an online ranked game this afternoon.

The dude I was playing picked the Celtics. I did random and ended up with the Pacers. The connection seemed fine but the game compared to playing against someone on the same system is like the difference between Kim and Khloe Kardashian.

- Shot stick is worthless, because the inputs are delayed and this makes it worse. Meanwhile I feel that using the shot stick is emphasized much more than it ever has been. I finally had to switch to it for shots and dunks. I used to only use it for close shots.
- Defense is pointless. Serious input delays + auto assist = paint fest. I purposely just took jump shots all game and was able to keep it close until the end.

Side notes:

Are there two defensive assist problems? Well at least I'm seeing 2. The first one is that the computer is always adjusting my guys position for no reason. The 2nd is that unless I pick up my man before halfcourt, a nearby teammate won't commit to his assignment and instead will keep trying to guard my man until I get on top of him. It's really easy to exploit these on offense.

- Why the hell do we still have to pause the game before it starts in order to set matchups, camera, and other preferences? That was hella annoying. My opponent literally got like 3 extra timeouts to call all that stuff within the first 2 minutes of the game.
- I personally think there should be more fouls called so that players can do some coaching during these intermissions in addition to timeouts. No pausing the game to change settings in the future please.

Got my copy today. Maybe I'll have a few beers tonight and fire it up.

If you want an amazingly easy win, you can play against me. :lol

I'm going out for a run right now though.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I played my first offline single player game today. It gave me motion sickness the framerate was so freakin bad.
Absolutely ridiculous.

This game gpes between great and complete shit every game.

You can't win for losing. You push the sliders down and you can't make shit because the jumpshots are fucked this year. ( You have to hold them late as shit because perfect realease is fucked up) so you make it higher and the computer goes Reggie Miller vs Knicks against you with Luke FUCKING Ridnour...

god 2k makes it hard to love them.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Truelize said:
I played my first offline single player game today. It gave me motion sickness the framerate was so freakin bad.
Absolutely ridiculous.

It's fucking awful and the framerate inside the paint is a whole new level of pathetic. I won't play my copy again till it's fixed.

Sad thing is I don't think it will be :(

RBH

All of these reports about framerate issues have pretty much scared me off from buying 2K10 unless 2K releases a patch soon.

And despite all the improvements in Live, there's just something about its gameplay that feels "off" to me for some reason.

Damn it, I just want a competent basketball game without any bugs or annoyances! :(

ecnal

so is 2K deleting user videos if they contain glitches?

i tried to upload 5 or 6 videos of fastbreak passes where the ball goes through the defender's body--happens at least one time a game. i know they were uploaded, i've seen them under my profile but now they're magically gone...

KaYotiX

Banned
WOW the PC version looks AMAZING!! I may send my copy back to Gamefly and buy the PC version....that is if they fix some problems.

Mrbob

RBH said:
All of these reports about framerate issues have pretty much scared me off from buying 2K10 unless 2K releases a patch soon.

And despite all the improvements in Live, there's just something about its gameplay that feels "off" to me for some reason.

Damn it, I just want a competent basketball game without any bugs or annoyances! :(

NCAA Basketball 10 future?

tadcalabash

Neo Member
ecnal said:
so is 2K deleting user videos if they contain glitches?

i tried to upload 5 or 6 videos of fastbreak passes where the ball goes through the defender's body--happens at least one time a game. i know they were uploaded, i've seen them under my profile but now they're magically gone...

Oh noes! Watch out for the conspiracy monster!

Also, this patch can't get here fast enough. Just realized training in Association mode is completely broken. Do a drill to get someone's Medium Shot skill from 80 to 82 (for example)? Watch as the game magically resets the player's skill to 54!

The more I play the more I hate.

This game is frustrating as hell.

You miss so many open damn layups. The jumpshots I can understand but open layups?
and then it's those layups when your player will take a fucking jumpshot 2 feet away from the basket and when you want a jumper they go into a layup animation...RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEE.

one thing I do like is the fact that you must get others involved and not just drop 55 with Kobe everygame because you will go on dry spells.....but even that feels cheap due to the fact that you miss wide deee fock open shots.

This game is going to give me an ulcer...

edit: also MyPlayer mode is ass....You suck so badly your going to give up before you make any progress..either that or get bitched by Jared Bayless because your slow as balls and have like 2 crossover moves.

also Isomotion blows

Cloudy

Banned
Truelize said:
Absolutely ridiculous.

This is one of the times when not being able to notice framerate is a plus :eek: And the only slowdown I see is the inbound by the ref after halftime.

After the help D tweaks, my only issue with the game is my inability to stop pick and roll by the CPU >_<

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Cloudy said:
This is one of the times when not being able to notice framerate is a plus :eek: And the only slowdown I see is the inbound by the ref after halftime.

After the help D tweaks, my only issue with the game is my inability to stop pick and roll by the CPU >_<

How can you not at least see the framerate issues in the paint? I hardly ever notice this stuff either, but this you can't help but notice.

You must have a super special copy no one else does.

Knux-Future said:
The more I play the more I hate.

This game is frustrating as hell.

You miss so many open damn layups. The jumpshots I can understand but open layups?
and then it's those layups when your player will take a fucking jumpshot 2 feet away from the basket and when you want a jumper they go into a layup animation...RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEE.

one thing I do like is the fact that you must get others involved and not just drop 55 with Kobe everygame because you will go on dry spells.....but even that feels cheap due to the fact that you miss wide deee fock open shots.

This game is going to give me an ulcer...

edit: also MyPlayer mode is ass....You suck so badly your going to give up before you make any progress..either that or get bitched by Jared Bayless because your slow as balls and have like 2 crossover moves.

also Isomotion blows

Isomotion is really good this year. It's different, but much more intuitive. Spend more than 3 minutes trying to perfect it and go into practice mode. Makes a world of difference.

turkey_69 said:
I can't start a regular game, the camera keeps going back and forth between these two shots with the music playing

http://i33.tinypic.com/29c0xgp.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/xf515g.jpg[IMG]

[B]Rondo is at the center[/B], waiting, and the rest of the team is lined up[/QUOTE]

must be that "Your team hired Don Nelson as coach" bug. Hopefully they patch it.

Cloudy

Banned
Matrix said:
How can you not at least see the framerate issues in the paint? I hardly ever notice this stuff either, but this you can't help but notice.

You must have a super special copy no one else does.

I'm one of those guys who can't tell 30fps from 60fps :(

pilonv1

I'm not noticing any frame issues yet, but I've only been playing My Player witht the 2k cam.

The main thing that's annoying me to no end (besides the server issues, but that's not game related) is not having any of my settings auto-save and not being able to change ANY settings in My Player.

Otherwise everything else is great.

Raging Spaniard

pilonv1 said:
I'm not noticing any frame issues yet, but I've only been playing My Player witht the 2k cam.

Have you played in an arena with audience/fans yet? I was slowdown free until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom