• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k10 official thread of git your ass back on the ship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
rinse82 said:
Someone take this game away from him. He has awesome Madden coverage but dude does not know the game of basketball. I particularly like his "dunk or 3" offense.

I don't blame Pasta. While he has a lot to learn about basketball, he's just playing the way he's been conditioned through years of 2K ball. It's fair to say that out of the box, 2K10 is aimed at the arcade crowd. The high FG percentages, flashy alley-oops, cross court passing, money post game, scrubs like Haywood doing putback jams, etc. But as we know, sliders and rules can help with this stuff.

Guys like Momentus show the game off in pristine fashion because he chooses to play fundamentally sound basketball. But with the large number of Pasta videos coming to the surface, we see the other side that shows off the glaring weaknesses that still haven't been properly addressed.

• ALL TEAMS.
  • Prefer SF position.
  • Lotsa on ball/ off ball Defense and play running.
  • 99% of my time will go to Team Up (HOF) and My Player Team Up.

X360

gt: Only Boss Alive

FUCKING AMPED for 10/06!!

ecnal

Shawnwhann said:
New gameplay videos from PastaPadre, while the CPU appears to be running a realistic offense, it appears the CPU's help defense on drives and pick and rolls is utterly atrocious. Hopefully there's a slider to increase Help D or paint resistance:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/09/28/nba-2k10-videos-set-2

ya, this is essentially now confirmed by a number of sources (pasta's videos along with deeper impressions from OS).

pick and roll cpu defense is broken. you get a wide open lead pass every time.

jordan0386 said:
The whole elitist attitude towards play styles is so fucking corny now.

While I'm sure the latest videos from Pasta gave you a boner, the vast majority of 2KGaf is all about the simulation style experience. That's why we have the rules that we do...

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Shawnwhann said:
While I'm sure the latest videos from Pasta gave you a boner, the vast majority of 2KGaf is all about the simulation style experience. That's why we have the rules that we do...
"bubububut, if we can't score 80+ PIP and have to play 'realistic', the game won't be any fun!"
:lol

charsace

I actually think kick ball will end up hurting the game because of the dumb AI and how contact around the basket works (or doesn't work) most of the time. PnR is going to be beastly now. I would have thrown a ton more alleys if it was easy to catch and not so easy to defend. I can see that sf PnR play from 2k10 being very deadly for Anthony, LeBron, Granger, Kobe, and Gay, but especially for Anthony, Kobe and LeBron who were basically very fast 4's in 2k9.

Association play is always going to require tweaks to get it right where you want it to be. Not much can be done for help D on PNR. Once you find an exploit that works on the CPU there isn't much you can do about it. Whether it was pump faking the CPU to death in previous games or PNR in 2k10 it seems like there always going to be ways to get buckets if you absolutely have to.

The question is what options do the players have defensively this year for online play? We don't really know yet. I saw one vid on konsolekingz but those kids weren't even trying to play D. Just getting caught up in a high pace and leaving the paint wide open. We need some reports on that.

charsace

jordan0386 said:
http://www.82games.com/0809/FGSORT12.HTM

Look how high those percentages are for inside shots. WILL YOU PLEASE STOP WIH THE POINTS IN THE PAINT NONSENSE.
Pay attention to what percent they are assisted. In 2k people just hold turbo and try to dunk with everyone. Iggy is assisted more than half the time he scores around the basket. You know why? Because he moves well without the ball. Know what 2k lacks? off the ball movement.

jordan0386 said:
http://www.82games.com/0809/FGSORT12.HTM

Look how high those percentages are for inside shots. WILL YOU PLEASE STOP WIH THE POINTS IN THE PAINT NONSENSE.

What's your point? We all know that shots taken in the paint have a high percentage. If your post was aimed at validating to your Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, you fail because that spreadsheet doesn't dive into the relationship between PIP and total scores...

Try again! :lol

2k9 has good OBM by the AI, but it leads to alleys and bullshit backdoor cuts. It may not be what the simmiest of sim gamers want, but it is "kinda" there.

charsace

What 2k needs to let you do is set players to move on certain ways on offense. I should be able to set the game so that my small forward is running the baseline to the the side of the court the ball is on or have my pf or c post the blocks or ft line depending on where the ball is. Teams don't run plays all the time, but players are told to be in certain spots in certain situations.

Shawnwhann said:
What's your point? We all know that shots taken in the paint have a high percentage. If your post was aimed at validating to your Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, you fail because that spreadsheet doesn't dive into the relationship between PIP and total scores...

Try again! :lol

But thats what I'm getting at. Who cares about the total scores for where the points are coming from. It is a game.

If you want to cap yours at 50, because that is probably about league avg, FINE. But if people ARE NOT in your league play, don't bitch about what they like to do.

Shawnwhann said:
New gameplay videos from PastaPadre, while the CPU appears to be running a realistic offense, it appears the CPU's help defense on drives and pick and rolls is utterly atrocious. Hopefully there's a slider to increase Help D or paint resistance:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/09/28/nba-2k10-videos-set-2
why did you post 2k9 vids?
......oh i see. different GUI

anachronous_one said:
viakado/Smokey --- There are no new people, that I have "seniority" (with my whopping one completed GAF season) over for any of the teams I listed (Magic/Nuggets/Blazers/Spurs/Celtics/Hawks/Hornets/Mavericks/Pistons), allowing me to avoid a "play-in" series?

there are only 2 classes. Vet and Rookie. i've spoken to others, you don't classify as vet even though you have 1 season under your belt. Therefore if you and another rook want the same team, you two must play best of 3. i didn't make the rules, sorry man.
the only team noone has picked are the bobcats. ...i think
another reminder, if you dont like your team, trading is on this season.

**************2 spots are available*********************
- 2 vets dropped out since last night. still waiting for DM to respond. he's the only vet left on reserved.
- updated OP team list.
- added "MY PLAYER" section. i dont know if to add that here or in league thread.
- League thread should open up sometime this week.

jordan0386 said:
But thats what I'm getting at. Who cares about the total scores for where the points are coming from. It is a game.

If you want to cap yours at 50, because that is probably about league avg, FINE. But if people ARE NOT in your league play, don't bitch about what they like to do.

All I want are viable options to combat the kinds of things players like you want to do. At this point, the 2K series still doesn't give me the tools to make you pay for playing bad basketball. I shouldn't have to only play in leagues to get a semi-realistic game of hoops. Madden, for example, has it's cheesers, but it's manageable because there's counters for nearly all of their tactics. Options to select my defense against pick-n-roll (e.g. switch, hard double, show and retreat, etc.) and tighter help defense would go a long way towards making me happy.

Shawnwhann said:
All I want are viable options to combat the kinds of things players like you want to do. At this point, the 2K series still doesn't give me the tools to make you pay for playing bad basketball. I shouldn't have to only play in leagues to get a semi-realistic game of hoops. Madden, for example, has it's cheesers, but it's manageable because there's counters for nearly all of their tactics. Options to select my defense against pick-n-roll (e.g. switch, hard double, show and retreat, etc.) and tighter help defense would go a long way towards making me happy.

These are in 2k10.

Shawnwhann said:

There we go again with that elitist crap. Lay ups are not bad basketball.

Inside shots have to be about 80 percent, jumpers 50, 3s 30 percent. Which one of these is your best option.

All this talk about sim basketball. Well, how would I maximize every possesion: high percentage shot, possible FT, and a possible personal foul on the opponent.

Let.It.Go.

jordan0386 said:
These are in 2k10.

If they are, then the execution is flawed based on the exploitation seen in the videos. The "other" game does a great job with the variety of positive and negative outcomes for PnR ball, so it's easy to notice the deficiencies in this respect in 2K10.

jordan0386 said:

Inside shots have to be about 80 percent, jumpers 50, 3s 30 percent. Which one of these is your best option.

All this talk about sim basketball. Well, how would I maximize every possesion: high percentage shot, possible FT, and a possible personal foul on the opponent.

Let.It.Go.
80%+50%+30%=160%?
wat.

the problem is abuse. rules are implimented to shorten abuse and exploits.
the engine is not perfect, it has flaws, so therefore rules must be in place to limit the abuse.

viakado said:
80%+50%+30%=160%?
wat.

the problem is abuse. rules are implimented to shorten abuse and exploits.
the engine is not perfect, it has flaws, so therefore rules must be in place to limit the abuse.

I'm not speaking on tendencies. It's about possible percentage made from that range.

jordan0386 said:
I'm not speaking on tendencies. It's about possible percentage made from that range.
i agree, best possible FG% to score, but only in the assumption the game engine is flawless. Which it is not.
gaf league isn't just about winning, its about the experience and sportsmanship, on top of competitive spirit to win. we all know the game engine is old and broken. some aspects of the game is flawed. thats why we have rules in place to limit those flaws for the sake of fairness and enjoyability. heck we even have an unwritten rule to not drive up the score late in the 4th with a big lead. thats the sportsmanship rule, i suppose.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
there are only 2 classes. Vet and Rookie. i've spoken to others, you don't classify as vet even though you have 1 season under your belt.
OK, np. I guess I'll do either/both play-in necessary to get me in. Do I need to declare which one I want to do, or can I challenge Dark Faze and if I don't get the Celts, still challenge for the Mavs? Just trying to understand the process and the options I have.

jordan0386 said:

Let.It.Go.

:lol You're making this too easy on me bro!

I agree with you for once, lay ups aren't bad basketball. But the way in which you get into position for layups and dunks by exploiting bad A.I. and dated control mechanics is bad basketball. While I've never played you in 2K, I think it's fair to say that you didn't earn your 80+ point paints from running offense sets that featured sophisticated ball movement. Outside of fast break opportunities and dominant bigs, that's how layups are primarily earned in the real game.

You can cry "it's a game" till the cows come home, but 2K10 is positioned and marketed as a simulation style game, so I think I'm totally being fair in both my praise and criticisms.

anachronous_one said:
OK, np. I guess I'll do either/both play-in necessary to get me in. Do I need to declare which one I want to do, or can I challenge Dark Faze and if I don't get the Celts, still challenge for the Mavs? Just trying to understand the process and the options I have.
you have to declare your team(s). we'll have mini series to assign player to a team if there are multiple players.
we do this so there wont be any confusion. and when the game comes out, we'll all be assigned to a team and we wont lose time in getting the season started.
basically we're trying to be efficient and quick as possible to get the season rolling. in the past, it would take forever to get a season rolling.
with that said, yes you can challenge dark faze for the celtics,
would you like me to update the op so that it shows you must play dark faze for the celts?
but which ever team you give me first is your primary team, 2nd team is your fall back in case you dont land them.

for I.E.,
your primary team are the Cs. you then challenge Dark faze. if you lose, you lose your rights to the C's. you then play Aznpxdd for the Mavs since your 2ndary team are the mavs.

Shawnwhann said:
:lol You're making this too easy on me bro!

I agree with you for once, lay ups aren't bad basketball. But the way in which you get into position for layups and dunks by exploiting bad A.I. and dated control mechanics is bad basketball. While I've never played you in 2K, I think it's fair to say that you didn't earn your 80+ point paints from running offense sets that featured sophisticated ball movement. Outside of fast break opportunities and dominant bigs, that's how layups are primarily earned in the real game.

You can cry "it's a game" till the cows come home, but 2K10 is positioned and marketed as a simulation style game, so I think I'm totally being fair in both my praise and criticisms.

It turns off too many gamers when they miss inside shots. The producers will never do it, so dont look for it.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
is there going to be a team-up league/team?

Because i'd join that bitch. Best center/PF you'll ever play with. PM me on that one I got class and this thread will disappear.

Shawnwhann said:

You probably shouldn't use Madden as an example. Or any football game at that. Football games have a fairly active and complex AI structure thats very exploitable. Every year, every game. Until they eventually handle every exception. these basketball games have some powerful sliders that you can tweak to handle most weaknesses. Everything that pissed me off about each year I was able to be fixed with sliders. If people can get into the hole, help defense and higher block will sure that shit up quickly. 2k is and always will be as sim as you want it to be. But basketball is one of those sports where people merely want to feel like it's real...they don't actually want to play it. Not like Baseball or Soccer. So online play is left consistently questionable, just like pretty much every other sports game. Only those who sit down and train themselves with that type of environment can handle it.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
your primary team are the Cs. you then challenge Dark faze. if you lose, you lose your rights to the C's. you then play Aznpxdd for the Mavs since your 2ndary team are the mavs.
Got it, let's do Celtics/Mavs/Pistons (assuming the pistons player isn't a vet).

Thanks for your patience and explantaions!

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Dunno if this thread even covers the offline game but a demo is coming!

Ephemeris said:
Awesome bday gift, 2K Sports. :D

I'll grab on 360.

Looks like the Cavs is taken
want the cats? i do believe they're the last team not spoken for.
you have to declare a team if you want a spot on league.
currently 2 spots are available left.
Sol.. said:
is there going to be a team-up league/team?

Because i'd join that bitch. Best center/PF you'll ever play with. PM me on that one I got class and this thread will disappear.
yes there will be team-up

anachronous_one said:
Got it, let's do Celtics/Mavs/Pistons (assuming the pistons player isn't a vet).

Thanks for your patience and explantaions!
updated op for you. you are now currently facing dark faze for the Cs

edit:
Deadline to declare a team: 10/06/09 @ 12:01am PST

Dark FaZe said:
SHAWN! You better play online when you grab the game.

Trust me bro, that's the second thing I'm going to do after I play a 8 min game vs the CPU (to get re-acclimated to the controls) on HOF difficulty.

Future

jordan0386 said:
It turns off too many gamers when they miss inside shots. The producers will never do it, so dont look for it.

Your logic is terrible. Of course it is excellent basketball to get the ball inside constantly and get 80 points in the paint. If every team could do this they would. The point is that the other team should be able to make defensive decisions to prevent this. In 2k9 there were numerous exploits that allowed you to get inside almost at will. The solution is not to lower the FG% of these shots. The solution is removing the exploits.

charsace

Just watched the 2k vids again and its fucking annoying that people go to the basket with a force field around them that pushes people out of the way. Especially when one defender makes contact with the person driving to the basket. The other players around the basket just get forced pushed by the driver.

Mrbob

ph33nix said:
overused heatbench.jpg

Getting replaced!

nowant.gif

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Xbox 360 demo hits TOMORROW:

http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233259

Hey all,
Proud to announce to the community first that the NBA 2K10 demo is slated for release tomorrow on XBOX Live worldwide (gold members have exclusivity rights per MS at first, so make sure if you want it right then that you have XBOX Live gold). XBL generally updates around 2 AM PST so we're just over 12 hours away if it's a typical release.

Release on the other consoles should follow thereafter, and more news on that forthcoming. Hope you enjoy!

- Ronnie

XiaNaphryz said:
From the other thread:

If you signed up for that ECA deal, you can get it for a bit cheaper than that with the discount code.

I just noticed it also says this:

Get a $10 Video Games Credit
Order NBA 2K10 and get $10 off a future video game purchase. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account within 2 business days after the product ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Limit 1 per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Offer does not apply to the Anniversary Edition.
› See more product promotions

So the game is effectively $42.99 at Amazon (or even cheaper with the ECA deal).

Wow, it is hard to compete with Amazon.

Mrbob

speculawyer said:
I just noticed it also says this:

So the game is effectively $42.99 at Amazon (or even cheaper with the ECA deal).

Wow, it is hard to compete with Amazon.

I used my Halo ODST 10 dollar GC and ECA coupon to get the game for 37.69. :D

Now I get another 10 dollar gift card to use on dragon age, which will give me another 10 dollar gift card after that! I love amazon!

Future

In 2K9 it was very easy to score near the basket, yet when you missed you sometimes felt totally cheated. You could thread the needle on passes despite defenders staring at the ball and then score even with multiple defenders surrounding the area. And if you happened to miss that shot, it was a near controller-throwing moment because the shot looked so easy that even a 6th grader could have made it. Fixing this problem was a huge focus for us this year

When I speak of “ghost” dunks, I’m talking about those dunks that triggered from the free throw line and essentially played a movie while a helpless defender between the dunker and the basket basically no longer existed. Tighter code and more animations allowed us to remove them and play more appropriate contact animations in these situations.

FUCK YES. These were some of my biggest pet peeves. Purchase confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom