• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k10 official thread of git your ass back on the ship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsguy said:
Since this is the official thread, did anyone else know this was coming out on PSP? I was looking at the platforms and I guess this is the first year they're putting it on Wii/PSP. I did see some pics and it looks like ass, but if it animates and plays anything like the console versions it could be a sports game worth checking out on the PSP.
Weird . . . NBA 2K10 is on the Wii this year but NBA Live 10 will not be on the Wii (although it was on the Wii last year).

I haven't gotten into a BB game since Lakers vs Celtics on Gensis and later, NBA Jam on SNES. I played the NBA Live 10 demo and I really like it. I may pick it up on the 6th. I'm holding out to see what 2K10 has to offer though. Hope the demo is out soon if not already.

Demo is out. Only 448.56 MB

All Games, Browse, N, NBA 2K10, All Downloads, Demo at the bottom, "Anything is possible!" Collect check from sponsor.

rjcc

sportzhead said:
Demo is out. Only 448.56 MB

All Games, Browse, N, NBA 2K10, All Downloads, Demo at the bottom, "Anything is possible!" Collect check from sponsor.

at first it wasn't there for me then it suddenly popped up. downloading now.

pilonv1

I just had a kicked ball violation. That's a first. Jameer Nelson just got tied up with a ref and gave up a fast break :(

Right away you can feel that 2K10 is more responsive than 2K9 when handling the ball, but they changed the Iso moves to the left trigger, and I don't know how I feel about that. Everything you loved about 2K is still here, and feels/looks better. Great animations, great body proportions, fluid gameplay, etc. The demo is extremely stripped though. No timeouts, subs, commentary, play selection, etc.

Some problems that can be fixed with sliders or a higher difficulty setting: Too many made shots, too many Dwight Howard alley-oops, Kobe is unstoppable on this difficulty, too easy to get to the hoop, and not enough fouls called. Granted this is only a 2 minute 1st quarter demo on either Rookie, or Pro so make of that what you will.

In the end, I'll definitely be trading 2K9 in for this because of how much more responsive it feels, and the huge boost in presentation. On top of that, my 2K9 is freezing, and the framerate on 2K/Iso cameras SUCKS something awful...There had better not be any framerate drops on the vertical court cameras this time around.

EDIT: Also, the AI is A LOT more aggressive this year in terms of shooting, and using players how they are supposed to be used. I've seen more jumpers in 5 games so far than I would see in any one ten minute quarter of 2K9 by the CPU.

PS: Kobe's mannerisms at the line are PERFECT. He's chewing the gum just like real life *squeal*:lol

pilonv1

It feels harder to score right under the basket but a lot of the low post moves are still too strong. I do like the new post movement though, it flows a lot better.

There's a weird animation if you are running full speed forward, then pull the opposite direction immediately. In 2k9 it would do a pullback dribble, in this demo it seems to warp your player back to where he would end up.

I love at the end of the quarter the AI will get the ball to Kobe ASAP. Feels just like the end of a period for once.

Triple threat is now LT+stick, not LT+RT+stick. Took me a while to work that out.

Looks 20 times better than 2K9.

Plays pretty well.

Iso motion sucks, just move the controls to the rights stick and copy Live.

Help D is terrible.

Animations are great.

Players feel pretty heavy. Still can't stop where you want to.

Facial animation look top notch.

Kobe's shooting motion looks hideous.

Dwight is a beast inside on O and D.

Court spacing is much better and player movement around the court is so much better.

Lakers key is not the right color purple.

Stadium sounds good

It a tough call for me. I like both games about the same this year. I think Live looks more realistic skin, lighting, faces, but 2k10 has better animations, facial expressions, player scales. Both games play pretty well though.

BradVanDam said:
Since when can Vince Carter not dunk a basketball.

Horrible demo and horrible game.

Buying Live 2010 Its in the game.

It's far from horrible. And if you think Vince can't dunk a ball in 2K10 you must be trying to force dunks.

Cloudy

Banned
Iso motion sucks, just move the controls to the rights stick and copy Live.

There is a control scheme that does that but unfortunately, you can't change from the default in the demo. I do agree that they should copy Live 10's realistic use of the right stick for dribbling though (About the only thing Live10 does better IMO)

rinse82

Feels a lot like 2K9; which is both good and bad.

Anyone notice how your player will move on D even if you hold the stick in a neutral position? I thought something was up with my controller.

PnR is pretty money, if you get a guy like Dwight Howard setting picks and getting a clean break to the bucket on the roll, it's going to be good night online.

I hope you all enjoy your simulation basketball game with pretty animations, dunk packages, and alley oops.

With that aside I think the court spacing is better this year. The player control is tighter which is nice...

But good lord if the Live demo actually convinced some people here not to get live, then after playing this demo I would expect them to not get a game at all. This game is 1) Boring as hell to play 2) still has unstoppable post animations 3) PnR abuse 4) Did I mention uninspiring?

pilonv1

ph33nix said:
I hope you all enjoy your simulation basketball game with pretty animations, dunk packages, and alley oops.

With that aside I think the court spacing is better this year. The player control is tighter which is nice...

But good lord if the Live demo actually convinced some people here not to get live, then after playing this demo I would expect them to not get a game at all. This game is 1) Boring as hell to play 2) still has unstoppable post animations 3) PnR abuse 4) Did I mention uninspiring?

what are you still doing here then

Cloudy

Banned

Yeah, I don't see the point of stripping gameplay features from a demo (Why can't I change controls? WTF) Especially such a late one.

Put everything in there with the current time limit..

pilonv1 said:
what are you still doing here then

I know I troll the shit out of this thread but I'm still playing in the league :lol

I just don't understand how some people see these two a certain way. To each his own I guess.

pilonv1

Two things I was just thinking of

- Consistent use of the Turbo will tire your guys out. You won't see it in a 4 minute quarter though

- A bad mistimed steal attempt will really ruin your defense. They're really eliminated any stealing spam with this.

Also in one of my games I was guarding Kobe with Wince, and he had the ball in the triple threat. Jab, jab, one drible pull up, two points. Was freaking amazing to watch. Never seen that before in 2k.

pilonv1

rinse82 said:
Anyone notice how your player will move on D even if you hold the stick in a neutral position? I thought something was up with my controller.

Saw this

Pared@OS said:
Of course this will get lost in the shuffle, but hopefully some of you will see this and pass it on:

Yes, on default, your players move. There's a new feature this year called defensive AI assist. This is set to 50, which I'm pretty sure what you're witnessing.

You can turn it down to 0. I have not seen my player move on their own at that setting.

Take it for what it's worth. It's a feature out of the box this year to help you out.

Good to hear it's optional.

I am not surprised by the stripped down nature of the demo. 2k is completely embarrassing. I will say that I feel that I will have to pay a lot more attention off the ball this year. Shard got free a couple of times and I got ooped on a few times which felt completely out of my control.

2k view seems like it may be mandatory this year. I couldn't develop any consistency using isomotion on default view and I could see that being a problem for me in the game. Defensively I feel comfortable staying in front of a man but the lead pass is still pretty strong.

Stamina was more of a point than I thought it would be. My guys had noticable stamina loss moving around the court so hopefully this helps things a little.

Gotta hop outta the house in a second so I'll give my full thoughts later. Unfortunately I can't truly test out the demo until my brother gets in who is an expert cheeser. We'll see how I can defend his constant PNR and juggernaut charges with Vince!

HoTHiTTeR

Apologies if this has already been answered; it seems that they've taken out my Icon Pass + RT (closest man to the basket) pass. Am I missing something, or is it really gone?

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
+In the 4 or 5 times that I've played the demo as the Magic so far, IsoMotion feels good and not overly effective. It was also nice to note that I didn't get caught in any extended IsoMotion animations that dragged me into the back court.

+Stamina drain penalty from using turbo and defensive lock-on seems to be exactly what I was hoping for, and will hopefully make people really consider their fast break/aggressive play attempts more carefully.

+Jumpers feel crisp and animations are sufficiently quick.

+I don't remember being able to contest/put a hand up on a jump shooter without pressing Y to jump last year. This year, pulling downward on the right stick while defending a player does this now. Holds you position and puts a hand up.

+Long, ill-advised passes to the opposite wing are better defended by CPU AI than I recall them being defended last year.

+Haven't noticed CPU-controlled players on my team running back into the restricted zone, directly under the basket, when trying to defend a fast break --- yet. Hopefully this has been addressed from 2K9 and I never see it again.

-ONE FOUR-MINUTE QUARTER AGAIN, 2K? FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

-No play calling AGAIN in the demo. I can understand saving space by not including commentary, but really? No play calling? WTH?

-FG% on contested jumpers appears a bit higher than I would expect. Hopefully this is simply due to a low difficulty level in the demo.

-Pick and roll seems overpowered to me. Again, hopefully this is simply due to the difficulty level of the demo.

-Don't "get" the new post-up system right now --- or even where on the block/baseline I need to be to trigger it. Maybe using the Lakers and putting Pao or Kobe on the block might help a bit. As good as he is, Superman isn't exactly known for having a tremendous back-to-the-basket offensive game. (dunk, dunk, dunk, tip in, dunk)

That's all I have for now --- back to work.

HoTHiTTeR said:
Apologies if this has already been answered; it seems that they've taken out my Icon Pass + RT (closest man to the basket) pass. Am I missing something, or is it really gone?
Yes, my understanding is that it's gone. A change for the better, IMO.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I can't be alone in thinking this game plays just like Live.

I've been telling people all along they are pretty much the same game these days. They just feel different. But that divide is disappearing very very quickly.

In three years...mark it. Three years yall aint gonna have nothin to argue about.

pilonv1 said:
It feels harder to score right under the basket but a lot of the low post moves are still too strong. I do like the new post movement though, it flows a lot better.

Ya got Gasol, Bynum, Dwight, and Lewis on the floor on a low difficulty level. Of course post moves are gonna be successful.

ecnal said:
ya, this is essentially now confirmed by a number of sources (pasta's videos along with deeper impressions from OS).

pick and roll cpu defense is broken. you get a wide open lead pass every time.

Yeah, that is dissapointing. Looks like it is going to be Pick and Roll, Lead Pass, Pick and Roll, Lead Pass, all over again. I hope there is some type of slider to help this.

I am still on the fence this year, I have no idea which game to get. I am just wanting the game that plays the most realistic game of B Ball of the two, and doesn't have some cheesy go to play/move that can be used to score 75% of the time.

anachronous_one said:
+In the 4 or 5 times that I've played the demo as the Magic so far, IsoMotion feels good and not overly effective. It was also nice to note that I didn't get caught in any extended IsoMotion animations that dragged me into the back court.

+Stamina drain penalty from using turbo and defensive lock-on seems to be exactly what I was hoping for, and will hopefully make people really consider their fast break/aggressive play attempts more carefully.

+Jumpers feel crisp and animations are sufficiently quick.

+I don't remember being able to contest/put a hand up on a jump shooter without pressing Y to jump last year. This year, pulling downward on the right stick while defending a player does this now. Holds you position and puts a hand up.

+Long, ill-advised passes to the opposite wing are better defended by CPU AI than I recall them being defended last year.

+Haven't noticed CPU-controlled players on my team running back into the restricted zone, directly under the basket, when trying to defend a fast break --- yet. Hopefully this has been addressed from 2K9 and I never see it again.

-ONE FOUR-MINUTE QUARTER AGAIN, 2K? FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

-No play calling AGAIN in the demo. I can understand saving space by not including commentary, but really? No play calling? WTH?

-FG% on contested jumpers appears a bit higher than I would expect. Hopefully this is simply due to a low difficulty level in the demo.

-Pick and roll seems overpowered to me. Again, hopefully this is simply due to the difficulty level of the demo.

-Don't "get" the new post-up system right now --- or even where on the block/baseline I need to be to trigger it. Maybe using the Lakers and putting Pao or Kobe on the block might help a bit. As good as he is, Superman isn't exactly known for having a tremendous back-to-the-basket offensive game. (dunk, dunk, dunk, tip in, dunk)

That's all I have for now --- back to work.

Yes, my understanding is that it's gone. A change for the better, IMO.
cerrius, read bolded. part.
game. set match for you.

****any new players wanting in the 360 season 9 league will be in a waiting list for possible dropouts or if enough people sign up, a 2nd league***********

RS4-

2nd league?!

Raps?!!?

I didn't play much of the demo, I did dunk on Gasol and Bynum with VC though :lol

Ephemeris, welcome to the league. one member dropped out.
you are now the proud owner of the 76ers
RS4- said:
2nd league?!

Raps?!!?

I didn't play much of the demo, I did dunk on Gasol and Bynum with VC though :lol
in the event enough players are signed on for a 2nd league, any current player in 1st league wanting to switch league should have dibs on any team before any new players join in.
that's only hypothetical.

Just a quick question about the league sign ups. No matter when you posted in this thread to be in the league, a "Veteran" or someone who has played in the league ALWAYS has seniority, Correct?

So if a Veteran came right now and wanted to join, but the league was full, but a few members who were Junior Members and are in the league, the Juniors would simply get bumped?

So this league is basically an "Old Timers" league? lol. What I mean is, basically it is going to be the exact same people every year, unless a Veteran doesn't want to play, since Veterans always get the seniority?

I am just wondering about someone who may have said on Page 3 that they wanted to join (a Junior Member), only to have 3 or 4 Vets say later they are going to join, I would assume you would tell the Junior Member to take a hike?

Is that how this league works? If so, sounds like it is simply the same people every year and nobody else can join. This is not a league, it is basically a "Private Club" am I right? It is actually an interesting setup, I have never seen anything like it.

Jube3

Im loving the new animations, especially the putbacks. Im really torn this year, im not a big sim nba player like you guys so im torn between draft combine/created player and stuff I like from live (ball handling, momentum passing, certain shots). Im so confused lol.

Is that how this league works? If so, sounds like it is simply the same people every year and nobody else can join. This is not a league, it is basically a "Private Club" am I right? It is actually an interesting setup, I have never seen anything like it.

Its more of the vets being proven reliable as opposed to someone with possibly fleeting interest in the game who ends up dropping out. Not saying all new/juniors are unreliable .

3rdamention said:
Just a quick question about the league sign ups. No matter when you posted in this thread to be in the league, a "Veteran" or someone who has played in the league ALWAYS has seniority, Correct?

So if a Veteran came right now and wanted to join, but the league was full, but a few members who were Junior Members and are in the league, the Juniors would simply get bumped?

So this league is basically an "Old Timers" league? lol. What I mean is, basically it is going to be the exact same people every year, unless a Veteran doesn't want to play, since Veterans always get the seniority?

I am just wondering about someone who may have said on Page 3 that they wanted to join (a Junior Member), only to have 3 or 4 Vets say later they are going to join, I would assume you would tell the Junior Member to take a hike?

that's incorrect. all current players have their place secured. all vets and rookies are locked in unless they voluntarily leave, or break sign-in deadline.

edit: added new vids of wii version to the OP.

Jube3

I dunno if its something im doing wrong but anyone else getting wipped around while moving the ball or on defense. Like an animation that makes you do almost a 180?

ecnal

so why does this feel like 2K8 pre-patch with a handful of new features...

and the impressions from OS are right; why would ron artest help from the opposite side of the court?

there's no way to turn down help defense in the demo (thanks 2K) but hopefully that's something that can be changed. it's like the game is arbitrarily rotating guys on defense to make it appear that the offense is moving the ball around for open shots based on drives.

Jube3 said:
I dunno if its something im doing wrong but anyone else getting wipped around while moving the ball or on defense. Like an animation that makes you do almost a 180?

not getting that exact thing, but im getting some serious warping in and out of animations on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom