• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k10 official thread of git your ass back on the ship!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

3rdamention said:
Just a quick question about the league sign ups. No matter when you posted in this thread to be in the league, a "Veteran" or someone who has played in the league ALWAYS has seniority, Correct?

So if a Veteran came right now and wanted to join, but the league was full, but a few members who were Junior Members and are in the league, the Juniors would simply get bumped?

So this league is basically an "Old Timers" league? lol. What I mean is, basically it is going to be the exact same people every year, unless a Veteran doesn't want to play, since Veterans always get the seniority?

I am just wondering about someone who may have said on Page 3 that they wanted to join (a Junior Member), only to have 3 or 4 Vets say later they are going to join, I would assume you would tell the Junior Member to take a hike?

Is that how this league works? If so, sounds like it is simply the same people every year and nobody else can join. This is not a league, it is basically a "Private Club" am I right? It is actually an interesting setup, I have never seen anything like it.

We know who the vets are. They are automatically filled in before we even let the league open to others. We are the ones with the red names in the OP. As you can see roughly half of the league are vets. I ran 2 GAF seasons for 2k9, and the majority of the vets were there all 3 seasons; so it's only fair that they get better treatment when it comes to teams etc.

Not only that, but I know the vets won't bail on me during the season short of an emergency. With juniors I've never seen these people before, don't know if they're reliable etc. They've got to earn our trust.

We don't try to be mean or demeaning to new people or anything.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Red Blaster said:
What the? How did the Lakers get a defense rating of 91?
Yes! More complaints about ratings!

Having Fisher, Kobe, and Artest and then Bynum as an interior presence? What number do you think would be appropriate? 65? 92? 78? 85? The Lakers have some very good defenders, and it's just a number.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
ecnal said:
why would ron artest help from the opposite side of the court?

there's no way to turn down help defense in the demo (thanks 2K) but hopefully that's something that can be changed. it's like the game is arbitrarily rotating guys on defense to make it appear that the offense is moving the ball around for open shots based on drives.
Actually, I asked this very question in the Q&A thread Pared had opened (over at Operation Sports) after he and Momentous got their copies:

me said:
Can you control who is involved on a rotation/defensive help? For example, even if I'm beaten by Tony Parker on a drive to the basket, I still don't want my teammates that are guarding Mason Jr. or Ginobli to leave their men on the perimeter, giving them open looks at a three ball.

Thanks!
MomentousCeltic responded:
MomentousCeltic said:
I brought this up when I was out there but it was too late to add any other options to the coaching options interface. Hopefully we will see more options like this in the future.

Until then this kind of thing is tied into your pressure setting. If you set your man to play Kobe "tight" he's less likely to rotate/help than someone who's pressure setting is normal or loose.
:(

So, yeah . . . it doesn't sounds like we have really fine-tuned control over defensive rotations/help.

anyone with an Operation Sports account?
we should have GAF vs. OS club battles.

someone with an account there should make a new thread linking to this thread.
Ask them if they are up for such battles in the near future.

ecnal

:(

hopefully a combination of adjusting the help defense coach slider and defensive match-up pressures will fix this.

anachronous_one said:
Yes! More complaints about ratings!

Having Fisher, Kobe, and Artest and then Bynum as an interior presence? What number do you think would be appropriate? 65? 92? 78? 85? The Lakers have some very good defenders, and it's just a number.

Bynum's about as intimidating as a doorstop.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Red Blaster said:
Bynum's about as intimidating as a doorstop.
I'm the furthest thing from a fan of the Lakers, but come on. I'm not saying he's a superstar or even that he deserves consideration for All-Defensive Team, but look at the numbers:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andrew_bynum/

Over the course of 50 games last year, he averaged 1.8 blocks per game in less than 30 minutes per game. Factor in the fact that he also added 8 rebounds and 14.3 points per game, and I'd say that he's a small bit more effective than your proverbial doorstop.

For his career (213 games, averaging under 22 minutes per game) he has averaged 1.4 blocks per game. Whether you like his game or not, when he's on the floor he's a positive defensive factor in the paint for the Lakers.

pilonv1 said:
It feels harder to score right under the basket but a lot of the low post moves are still too strong. I do like the new post movement though, it flows a lot better.

There's a weird animation if you are running full speed forward, then pull the opposite direction immediately. In 2k9 it would do a pullback dribble, in this demo it seems to warp your player back to where he would end up.

I love at the end of the quarter the AI will get the ball to Kobe ASAP. Feels just like the end of a period for once.

Triple threat is now LT+stick, not LT+RT+stick. Took me a while to work that out.

Any word if Pasta Padre was right about Absolutely NO momentum on Jump Shots? That would really suck if every jump shot is simply a straight up jumper.

Did Pasta have the final version? I hope not! I just want to know if you can at least fade and lean on jumpers in the demo, and of course, the final game.

3rdamention said:
Any word if Pasta Padre was right about Absolutely NO momentum on Jump Shots? That would really suck if every jump shot is simply a straight up jumper.

Did Pasta have the final version? I hope not! I just want to know if you can at least fade and lean on jumpers in the demo, and of course, the final game.
From playing the demo, it leaves a lot to be desired in a variety of respects. 2K is known for shitty demos, so I'll have to reserve ultimate judgement for when I get the final game.

BTW, there are no momentum jumpers. The only thing remotely resembling that is a jumper taken when a player gets the ball right off a sharp cut.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Shawnwhann said:
BTW, there are no momentum jumpers. The only thing remotely resembling that is a jumper taken when a player gets the ball right off a sharp cut.
Good catch there . . . I had to fire it back up and verify, but yeah, no leaning side to side or momentum. It's just a straight up jumper or a fade away, as far as I can tell. I couldn't even lean toward the basket.

+Played the demo as the Lakers for the first time, and I'm fairly certain that D.Fish got gassed much more quickly than Nelson had when I played 4 or 5 times with the Magic. Should be interesting to see how the fatigue system plays out in the final product, and how it scales to different length games.

charsace

anachronous_one said:
Good catch there . . . I had to fire it back up and verify, but yeah, no leaning side to side or momentum. It's just a straight up jumper or a fade away, as far as I can tell. I couldn't even lean toward the basket.

+Played the demo as the Lakers for the first time, and I'm fairly certain that D.Fish got gassed much more quickly than Nelson had when I played 4 or 5 times with the Magic. Should be interesting to see how the fatigue system plays out in the final product, and how it scales to different length games.
2k doesn't have true running jumpers. The closet thing is on of the floater animations in the lane. Its one of the things that makes running midrange catch and shoot plays difficult.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
charsace said:
2k doesn't have true running jumpers. The closet thing is on of the floater animations in the lane. Its one of the things that makes running midrange catch and shoot plays difficult.
Wait . . . what? I could've sworn that there were momentum-based floating jumpers last year. It's been months since I touched 2K9, though.

RBH said:
They changed Isomotion to LT+stick?

In my head, that seems a bit weird.
Yeah. It took a little bit of getting used to, but I think it might actually be easier than last year.

viakado said:
that's incorrect. all current players have their place secured. all vets and rookies are locked in unless they voluntarily leave, or break sign-in deadline.

edit: added new vids of wii version to the OP.

Sweet! That makes since my brother, thanks!

The Stealth Fox

Shawnwhann said:
From playing the demo, it leaves a lot to be desired in a variety of respects. 2K is known for shitty demos, so I'll have to reserve ultimate judgement for when I get the final game.

What you're getting in the demo in terms of animation, dribbling, and shooting is probably gonna be what's in the final game. And if the playcalling is anything like the old 2k games, consider me off the 2k train.

After playing Live 10 and and 2k10 demos back to back, I'm leaning towards Live. I'm hesitant to make the jump to Live though, I wanna see reviews first because there could be missing features or broken online play... but as far as gameplay and control, I'm leaning towards Live.

Does anyone else feel the same way after playing the demo?

The Stealth Fox said:
What you're getting in the demo in terms of animation, dribbling, and shooting is probably gonna be what's in the final game. And if the playcalling is anything like the old 2k games, consider me off the 2k train.

After playing Live 10 and and 2k10 demos back to back, I'm leaning towards Live. I'm hesitant to make the jump to Live though, I wanna see reviews first because there could be missing features or broken online play... but as far as gameplay and control, I'm leaning towards Live.

DAMN RIGHT!

Smokey said:
We know who the vets are. They are automatically filled in before we even let the league open to others. We are the ones with the red names in the OP. As you can see roughly half of the league are vets. I ran 2 GAF seasons for 2k9, and the majority of the vets were there all 3 seasons; so it's only fair that they get better treatment when it comes to teams etc.

Not only that, but I know the vets won't bail on me during the season short of an emergency. With juniors I've never seen these people before, don't know if they're reliable etc. They've got to earn our trust.

We don't try to be mean or demeaning to new people or anything.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was just curious. I understand exactly what you are talking about. I am running a Madden League on PS3. We started out with a full 32 people, all hyped to play every game and stuff (THAT IS ONLY 1 FREAKING GAME A WEEK) and we are down to 20 people now in Like Week 6. Pretty ridiculous.

I understand the importance of having people play every game, I may have to use this strategy next year with Madden and keep the "Vets" that actually complete the league this year.

The Stealth Fox said:

Live had a great online set up last year, at least in terms of gameplay. I didn't own Live, but my best friend did. We would take turns at his house play people online (switching every quarter) and Live was much more playable than 2k9 was for me (2k9 Lagged so much it drove me nuts). Most of the EA Games have a pretty solid online setup, regardless of what you think of EA and EA Sports games. If Live gets anything right this year, I am sure their online will be pretty fluid.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Offensive Gameplay II insight posted:
http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/index.cfm?aid=1003473&l=11

Interesting excerpt regarding shot stick/leaners/faders/drifters:
Shot Stick
To add some variety and authenticity to our shot selection, we’ve made adjustments to the types of shots you will see when throwing the Shot Stick in various directions, especially while on the move. Our fadeaway jumpers have been updated to look cleaner, runners and drifters have been massively expanded, and leaners have been introduced.

A fadeaway can be pulled off by moving the Shot Stick away from the basket while standing. Some of our fadeaway jumpers last year were pretty awful in that they either were too slow or were assigned incorrectly to players that didn’t fit the animation. This year we’ve removed or fixed the bad fades, added some really good ones, and correctly assigned them all to the players they would most resemble. For example, if a guard has a high release on his jumper, we’ll give him a guard fade that has a high release. In the end, our fades are very smooth and compliment jumpers well.

Runners were a part of 2K9 and can be performed by moving the Shot Stick away from the basket while running towards it (from about 15 feet and in). We’ve added 25 runners to 2K10 to get us up to 33. Last year we had only one measly drifter so we expanded it to about 40. They’ve been sigged and play when you are running across the basket and you move the Shot Stick in the direction of the player’s movement. If a player does not have a signature drifter he is assigned one that looks similar to what you would expect him to do in real life. Both of these add some nice variation to the shot stick.

New this year are leaners. Like runners, they’re performed by moving the Shot Stick away from the basket while running towards it, except that your player will need to be about 15 feet from the basket to the three point line. There are over 15 leaners in 2K10 that are set up nicely for players of all sizes and ability.

I thought I had seen drifting shots last year.

EDIT: Seems tough to trigger one in the demo, though. I tried about 10 times with Kobe before managing to get something off other than a standard, straight up jump shot.

Jube3

A quick gifs. Ill try to get some of the leaners etc.

nba2k12.gif

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Well, end of quarter/game pump fakes should be resolved:
- There are no longer pump fakes when the clock is under 1.0 seconds. Too often people would frantically hit the Shot Stick or button at the end of a clock, which would log a tap rather than a press, and the result would be a pump fake. Nothing worse than not even getting a shot off when having a chance to win the game.

TRAX POST INCOMING

Played the demo about 30 times now :lol

These impressions are from someone with very little 2k9 experience so keep that in mind.

Loving what I'm playing. It's still hard to tell whether or not the game will still piss me off come release but I really enjoy what I'm playing as of right now. Everything has felt very sim without need of any tweaking thus far. I remember during my short tenure with 2k9 downloading so many OS tweaks to try to get my association gameplay right and I found very little to be out of wack with the default sliders available here in the demo. How much of that is just me playing good defense I don't know. I know in some vids I saw shit looked like it needed to be tweaked. I've had Pietrus knock in a couple of suspect shots on me along with Vince but for the most part the player scoring on me had more to do with me being out of position.

Defensively every possession is a grind. I found that I didn't much need to defend the ball carrier except when I felt he was going to make a move to the basket. What was more important was trying to make sure my defense was as clean as possible off the ball. I got a couple of clean strips off of Howard which led to fast break points by denying him the ball via the right analog and then pressing x as soon as they tried to force it down to him. The number one priority for me was just slowing the ball down. If I could just get Fish in front of Jameer initially, then try to deny Shard or Vince the ball for a time then take control of a big to cut off the lane I usually had a really satisfying possession. Almost everytime I was scored on it was because I left some great angle open to the offense and they took advantage.

I was able to stop my brother on nearly every cheese move he attempted with Vince but he's been busy so I haven't gotten too many opportunities to play him. Not only that but I noticed his skills have deteriorated :lol. Either way though lockdown defense feels great. It's a great help without feeling cheap and I felt I could defend against his charges really well. I hope it goes as smoothly against the vets in 2k league but I doubt it will. Another reason why I had to play so much off ball defense was that it seemed like guys were getting switched up so often. There were a lot of times where Kobe literally left Vince wide open. Kobe does this in real life a lot but I'm going to go ahead and guess that it's a bug in the help defense system :lol.

There were a lot of points where Fish got switched on Shard, or all of a sudden I was Pau defending the 3 man. Also I found that I absolutely had to switch to the roll man on screen roll because unless you try to cut in front of the guy rolling you're fucked. By controlling players off the ball I was able to clean up the mess and was rewarded one really awesome 19 to 4 game for my efforts, with only a couple of those scores being off of unlucky putbacks.

I've only had a few issues with guys getting cheese dunks/layups. I was guarding Vince man to man with Kobe and he managed to just slice around me ghost style and put in a well animated looking layup. I really can't speak much more on defense without playing live opponents, but if nothing else I know I should have an excellent association mode.

Offensively I was able to attack via pick and roll pretty easily but I was thwarted quite a few times when I tried to just iso slice my way to the basket with Kobe. I was still able to get shots off but wasn't able to get many full on juggernaut dunks. Then again I tried to play sim so I might have been able to juggernaut and pump fake my way to instant success had I wanted to. There is not much to say about the offense. The isomotion feels smooth once you get used to it, and the fatigue aspect cuts down on too much aggression which is great. I'm interested in quick play development and I can't see that until I get the game in my hands.

Overall I feel great about picking this game up. I still like the speed of Lives shooting system as well as their dribbling system but other than that I am missing nothing. 2k10 feels great and hopefully it's even better in the retail package.

First, 2K get rid of the shot stick, or at least let us do leaners and floaters based on momentum too. Second, Iso Motion just sucks, fix it 2K.

Now onto the big problem with the demo. What I'm about to say is true, tested, and sucks. There is NO mid range game by the CPU. It is either a shot in the paint or a three. If it's not a three it is a step or two in front of the three point line because their momentum carried them over the 3pt line. I tested this out by playing 8 strait demo quarters. Being the Lakers, then switching to the Magic, then letting the computer play itself. I saw 3 mid range jumpers. One by Carter as the shot clock was about to hit zero, one by Fisher because he got caught from behind on a fast break, and one by Artest trying to beat the shot clock. The game never passes up an open three, and when a big in the paint kicks it out to a wing player the wing player never tries to get an easier shot, they always settle for the three. Also, players never try to create their own shot. They either jack up a three from a kick out, our smash the lane for a half hook, layup, or dunk. No coming around screens and jacking up a nice mid range jumper, no trying to beat your man to pull up and drain one in his eye, and have yet to see AI Kobe back down on the block and do his sig turn fadeaway. 2K10 is three or in the key with some alley-oops and tip dunks sprinkled in.

Get my bad bolded joke. I'll be here all week fellas.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
sportzhead said:
First, 2K get rid of the shot stick, or at least let us do leaners and floaters based on momentum too. Second, Iso Motion just sucks, fix it 2K.

Now onto the big problem with the demo. What I'm about to say is true, tested, and sucks. There is NO mid range game by the CPU. It is either a shot in the paint or a three. If it's not a three it is a step or two in front of the three point line because their momentum carried them over the 3pt line. I tested this out by playing 8 strait demo quarters. Being the Lakers, then switching to the Magic, then letting the computer play itself. I saw 3 mid range jumpers. One by Carter as the shot clock was about to hit zero, one by Fisher because he got caught from behind on a fast break, and one by Artest trying to beat the shot clock. The game never passes up an open three, and when a big in the paint kicks it out to a wing player the wing player never tries to get an easier shot, they always settle for the three. Also, players never try to create their own shot. They either jack up a three from a kick out, our smash the lane for a half hook, layup, or dunk. No coming around screens and jacking up a nice mid range jumper, no trying to beat your man to pull up and drain one in his eye, and have yet to see AI Kobe back down on the block and do his sig turn fadeaway. 2K10 is three or in the key with some alley-oops and tip dunks sprinkled in.

Get my bad bolded joke. I'll be here all week fellas.

Wow. We must be playing different demos. When I play as the Magic, I'm seeing Kobe post every once in a while (maybe once or twice a game) and either shoot his turnaround fade or pass out of a double team. Playing as either team, I'm seeing the Magic players, specifically Lewis and Carter, coming across the lane and curling hard off screens with hands up, looking for the ball.

Slizz

So whats different in this one compared to last years? I played the demo and it felt exactly the same and looked like to, with maybe the crowd appearance being better and the addition of a fatigue bar

Slizz said:
So whats different in this one compared to last years? I played the demo and it felt exactly the same and looked like to, with maybe the crowd appearance being better and the addition of a fatigue bar

Read first post of this thread.

Also, watch one of the you tube vids to see Association mode's dynamic commentary in action.

How have you guys not seen the momentum jumpers yet? It's the same way you do it in 2K9. Kobe has a sick looking one footed jumper when going left/right with the Left stick.

Blackface

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
TRAX POST INCOMING

Played the demo about 30 times now :lol

These impressions are from someone with very little 2k9 experience so keep that in mind.

Loving what I'm playing. It's still hard to tell whether or not the game will still piss me off come release but I really enjoy what I'm playing as of right now. Everything has felt very sim without need of any tweaking thus far. I remember during my short tenure with 2k9 downloading so many OS tweaks to try to get my association gameplay right and I found very little to be out of wack with the default sliders available here in the demo. How much of that is just me playing good defense I don't know. I know in some vids I saw shit looked like it needed to be tweaked. I've had Pietrus knock in a couple of suspect shots on me along with Vince but for the most part the player scoring on me had more to do with me being out of position.

Defensively every possession is a grind. I found that I didn't much need to defend the ball carrier except when I felt he was going to make a move to the basket. What was more important was trying to make sure my defense was as clean as possible off the ball. I got a couple of clean strips off of Howard which led to fast break points by denying him the ball via the right analog and then pressing x as soon as they tried to force it down to him. The number one priority for me was just slowing the ball down. If I could just get Fish in front of Jameer initially, then try to deny Shard or Vince the ball for a time then take control of a big to cut off the lane I usually had a really satisfying possession. Almost everytime I was scored on it was because I left some great angle open to the offense and they took advantage.

I was able to stop my brother on nearly every cheese move he attempted with Vince but he's been busy so I haven't gotten too many opportunities to play him. Not only that but I noticed his skills have deteriorated :lol. Either way though lockdown defense feels great. It's a great help without feeling cheap and I felt I could defend against his charges really well. I hope it goes as smoothly against the vets in 2k league but I doubt it will. Another reason why I had to play so much off ball defense was that it seemed like guys were getting switched up so often. There were a lot of times where Kobe literally left Vince wide open. Kobe does this in real life a lot but I'm going to go ahead and guess that it's a bug in the help defense system :lol.

There were a lot of points where Fish got switched on Shard, or all of a sudden I was Pau defending the 3 man. Also I found that I absolutely had to switch to the roll man on screen roll because unless you try to cut in front of the guy rolling you're fucked. By controlling players off the ball I was able to clean up the mess and was rewarded one really awesome 19 to 4 game for my efforts, with only a couple of those scores being off of unlucky putbacks.

I've only had a few issues with guys getting cheese dunks/layups. I was guarding Vince man to man with Kobe and he managed to just slice around me ghost style and put in a well animated looking layup. I really can't speak much more on defense without playing live opponents, but if nothing else I know I should have an excellent association mode.

Offensively I was able to attack via pick and roll pretty easily but I was thwarted quite a few times when I tried to just iso slice my way to the basket with Kobe. I was still able to get shots off but wasn't able to get many full on juggernaut dunks. Then again I tried to play sim so I might have been able to juggernaut and pump fake my way to instant success had I wanted to. There is not much to say about the offense. The isomotion feels smooth once you get used to it, and the fatigue aspect cuts down on too much aggression which is great. I'm interested in quick play development and I can't see that until I get the game in my hands.

Overall I feel great about picking this game up. I still like the speed of Lives shooting system as well as their dribbling system but other than that I am missing nothing. 2k10 feels great and hopefully it's even better in the retail package.

two paragraphs short.

anachronous_one said:
Wow. We must be playing different demos. When I play as the Magic, I'm seeing Kobe post every once in a while (maybe once or twice a game) and either shoot his turnaround fade or pass out of a double team. Playing as either team, I'm seeing the Magic players, specifically Lewis and Carter, coming across the lane and curling hard off screens with hands up, looking for the ball.

It's the same for me. Kobe has jacked up some shots in my grill from mid range and so have Jameer, Vince and Shard.

goddam deciding this year is going to be hard.

On one hand the Live demo is reaaaly fun and seems to fix all the problems I've had with the series....however they haven't said shit about the franchise modes and shit and knowing EA that means that it's barebones.

as for 2k , I played the living shit outta 2k9 ( I was playing it up until Madden came out...by the way fuck that game). however the demo is fucking lame and feels the same as last year with bigger courts and maybe even less control.

I just don't trust EA Canada..Hopefully people start getting their copies this week so it could push me over..

damn.

If you want more mid range shots, 'In the post' double team must be set on all players. 'Play tight' must also be set on all players.

Obviously, you also have to this for cpu, so you miss out on acheivements and such when you "change side" to do the settings.

Before you laugh it off, pop in your 2k9 and test it. I'm sure it'll work just the same in 2k10.

Ephemeris

I got owned a couple times in the demo. The best/worst was by Ron-Ron chucking threes and scoring.

Geez. I know I haven't played 2k9 in a while, but I don't remember ever being this bad.

The 76ers are doomed. :lol

Ephemeris said:
I got owned a couple times in the demo. The best/worst was by Ron-Ron chucking threes and scoring.

Geez. I know I haven't played 2k9 in a while, but I don't remember ever being this bad.

The 76ers are doomed. :lol

expecially since the Sixers can't hit 3's to save their lives...yep your screwed.

dralla

man, what the fuck. the magic shot 100% 2 times in a row on me, they never fucking miss. they get so many dunks too, they just pick and roll all day.

Ephemeris

dralla said:
man, what the fuck. the magic shot 100% 2 times in a row on me, they never fucking miss. they get so many dunks too, they just pick and roll all day.

So it's not just me? :lol

nyprimus2

In the at least 10 times I played the demo I didn't get dunked on once where it wasn't something like a fast break or where the Magic got an offensive rebound and were wide open for it. I just back up my players even when they go for the pick and roll and force the outside shot which I would say they made less then half the time. Unless it was Rashard Lewis it pretty much never went in, maybe if it was Vince it would go in but it would probably require him to hit a shot before that to get a little momentum going. Jameer Nelson with his little 3 point logo was throwing up some major bricks from three land.

side note: Ben Wallace might work his way into the starting lineup with that A+ Post D and A- Rebounding.

http://nba-2k.com/nba-2k10-screenshots-team-players-ratings/

tadcalabash

Neo Member
anachronous_one said:

Yeah, I'm seeing this as well.

Here's the shots from the CPU Lakers in my last demo. 2 low post shots from Kobe, 2 midrange jumpers from Kobe, a foul line post up & fade away by Kobe, 2 Gasol post moves, an Artest 3, a Bynum post move, and a pull up jumper by Farmar from 15 feet

My problem with the game is that the only shot they missed was the Farmar jumper and the well contested Bynum move. Definitely going to have to tone down the shooting sliders.

Combine that with the near perfect AI passes to players in the lane and the difficulty playing defense (maybe i just relied on Player Lock last year and it'll get better).

Otherwise I'm liking what I'm playing so far. Love that there's more deflected passes, love the better feeling of weight, the graphics are improved, and I think once I learn the post moves I'll like it.

Yep the FG% is going to have to be turned down. Shard never misses, but then again he doesn't miss in Live 10 either :lol.

My main problem right now is just the accuracy of the passing. I have to do so much defensively and this is just against the A.I. If I try to defend the ball handler I can stop him, but someone inevitably gets open at one point or another. I can hold my own pretty well defensively but there are a lot of times where I feel like I did all I could only to have them knock something down or to have a guy barely get a look at the glass and have the ball slingshotted right into his palm for an easy layup.

The problem is that the offensive is given so many angles to put a shot in the hole. Someone gets a pass on the run and I'm just unable to defend the attempt despite having decent position. 2k is going to have to realize that the game cannot always look 100% smooth animation wise. Live has a ton of bullshit looking things going on concerning steals and defending shots inside but at the end of the day I would rather have Pau make an amazingly ridiculous block or steal inside multiple times a game than to have to play PERFECT defense everytime down the floor. It's frustrating to defend something 95% well only to have the smallest crack be available for the player to recieve a pass the contort his body for an awesome looking hook/layup/dunk.

As someone who adored 2k6 and 2k7, this is the same game. Same game!!

Take the left stick, hold down a trigger, and wiggle it around for "isomotion"- and watch your player glide on one foot around.

Then watch a "Slam Cam" shake from a thunderous dunk on the other side of the court!

Same weird floating jerseys.

Who uses the right stick for shot, seriously?

The controls feel so sluggish this year that I can't even perform the move I want to do!

It was only a matter of time, 2k. Complacency has taken its toll and you've been de-thefuck-throned.

Brinbe

Played through the demo for a good while earlier, mostly as the Magic, and I really liked what I played. Every game/quarter felt different and there were a variety of outcomes each time, from downright domination by either me or the Lakers to a close low-scoring affair or a tight, high-scoring mess of a quarter. And each time it would be different players on either team doing the damage. Sometimes Kobe and Dwight would dominate, while other times Fisher and Nelson would go tit for tat on both ends.

However, it did feel very reminiscent of the basic 2K game we've been getting for years now. By that I mean, you'll occasionally see some classic gems such as those perfectly executed passes by the CPU, which warp through a multitude of players bodies, to cutting players in the paint. Which is the exact same crap we've seen in 2K6, 7, 8, 9. Luckily, sliders should cure those problems (and others such as the high FG%) in the main game like it did in previous games, but it's still frustrating to see after all these years.

Otherwise, the offensive play by the CPU didn't feel as scripted as 2K9 and they'll generally make intelligent passes to open players instead of forcing it to the next "stage/player" in the play. So there's a lot more variation this time around.

And everything's fine and mostly the same on the offensive end. Maybe a little too easy to score in the paint, but I guess that's due to the set level of the demo (which is probably on pro?). I didn't try to cheese or anything, like constant iso-motion or non-stop PnR's, so I'm not sure how it holds up on that front. But I'm also interested in how fatigue will play out in a full game as I'm convinced it could be a great additional element to the game, if it were finely tweaked.

Anyway, the controls didn't take any time getting used to, having played Draft Combine, but I hate the broadcast cam (prefer 2K cam) so it wasn't as comfortable as it could have been. I do wish that they'd stop fucking with the damn iso-motion every year and just settle on something or at least bring over/add as an option, the X/Y button system from Choops 2K8, as that's still my fav.

Presentation wise, the graphics certainly seemed nicer, the crowd was lively/more authentic, and I didn't miss the commentary at all. I do wish the demo had the user replay implemented because there were a few nice plays I wanted to re-watch.

So basically, the demo didn't blow away Live. But I'm still definitely picking this up asap. Hopefully I find a place this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom