• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k10 official thread of git your ass back on the ship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh lord the online experience is going to be shit again. No ranked lobbies and I'm enduring this fucker stalling using TOs and pauses while he's down by 25 points....

:sigh:

EDIT- Plug pulled :lol

ecnal

Shawnwhann said:
Oh lord the online experience is going to be shit again. No ranked lobbies and I'm enduring this fucker stalling using TOs and pauses while he's down by 25 points....

... wat

Shawnwhann said:

n5q6i8.jpg

aznpxdd

Shawnwhann said:

I didn't know Pheeniks got 2k10 already.

thmst30

chaoticprout said:
hows the franchise mode? stripped down i assume?
If you are talking about Live it is the exact same as last year. Producers said they focused on Dynamic Season and Live Run this year. Only change was "tweaked player progression." That's pathetic IMO. For offline franchise players, 2K is the only way to look. The gap between the two is massive.

Shawnwhann said:

you got live 10 right?

thmst30 said:
If you are talking about Live it is the exact same as last year. Producers said they focused on Dynamic Season and Live Run this year. Only change was "tweaked player progression." That's pathetic IMO. For offline franchise players, 2K is the only way to look. The gap between the two is massive.

but then what did 2k add to franchise???...

I was wondering why neither are saying much about that this year.

parasight

Knux-Future said:
but then what did 2k add to franchise???...

I was wondering why neither are saying much about that this year.

- In-Game Saves
- D-League
- Restriced Free Agency
- Player Progressions based on Minutes/Production as opposed to just Potential rating + development drills
- NBA Today Commentary
- 10 Day Contracts

I'm sure I'm missing some, but that's the gist of the additions.

EDIT: Forgot the most important addition, the ability to create and import your own Draft Classes.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Shawnwhann, over on Operation Sports, Momentous and Pared were saying that slowdown was relieved a bit by turning off the "zoom in the key" camera. Have you tried that?

Also:
1) Is 2K cam playable (without lag) online (or offline, for that matter)?
2) Any glitches regarding inbounding the ball? I noticed the demo for 2K10 that if the ref tosses the ball to a player on an inbounds play, and the ball touches the court more than once, the player inbounding the ball will returnthe ball to the ref. This resulted in one instance where the ref and Odom passed the ball back and forth seven times before they were close enough to each other that the bounce pass to Odom only hit the floor once before reaching him. Play resumed as usual from there. Seen anything like that?
3) Are leaners and drifting shots easier to execute than in the demo?

Thanks in advance.

NeoGIF

Whoever gets it early or already has it, please let us know how it is compared to the demo. Even though I'm getting it for sure, I thought VC released a very poor demo, and I wasn't too thrilled by it.

rinse82

NeoGIF said:
Whoever gets it early or already has it, please let us know how it is compared to the demo. Even though I'm getting it for sure, I thought VC released a very poor demo, and I wasn't too thrilled by it.

I'll be getting my hands on it in about 2 hours, will let you guys know then.

pilonv1

parasight said:
- In-Game Saves
- D-League
- Restriced Free Agency
- Player Progressions based on Minutes/Production as opposed to just Potential rating + development drills
- NBA Today Commentary
- 10 Day Contracts

I'm sure I'm missing some, but that's the gist of the additions.

EDIT: Forgot the most important addition, the ability to create and import your own Draft Classes.

There's also a practice mode I beleive.

Alright guys, here's some early impressions.

The Good

+ The gameplay feels better than the demo. With a few clicks on the Broadcast camera zoomed in, and a full complement of strategy and play-calling options, it's a whole other experience. 2K just needs to stop putting out demos

+Playcalling system and on court diagrams is much better than last year. In addition to quick plays, each player has their own set of plays you can select from.

+ Offball movement is very good. Guys cut off screens and into open spaces quite frequently. You can totally play freestyle offense and watch for players posting up, running backdoor screens, and getting into position for early hoops

+ Not a huge fan of the point and click menu navigation, but it looks a hell of a lot more solid than last years ugly menus

+ In game presentation layers are integrated smoothly, listening to the dynamic commentary is as awesome as the videos Momentous at OS made. The announcers talked about how the Lakers led the season series against the Sacramento Queens 2-1, how Fisher was ranked 4th in FT percentages, and conference records of both teams amongst other things

+ Loving the game soundtrack, a bunch of hip-hop bangers!

+ The stamina/turbo meter is the best thing ever, definitely helped against the online guy I played

+ Association Mode is one of the most impressive and overwhelming Dynasty modes I've ever been in. There's so much to see and do making you at a loss for where to start. I could write a whole 800 word post just detailing the depth here, simply staggering. It begs the question of how sound is everything under the hood though...

+ In simming half a season, a bunch of crazy stuff went down. Bynum and Gasol both got minor injuries, the Knicks offered David Lee and Nate Robinson for Pau Gasol, Farmar wanted to be traded, and I got points for going a 5 game win streak.

+ Post game is 1000000x better than Live's post game. There's so many options here from shimmys, different types of fakes, pivot moves making it a really cool chess game. Going to enjoy getting into this more.

The Bad

-FG %'s are high, but we already know this.

-Help defense is a little annoying. It's like my players drift away from perimeter shooters for no reason giving the CPU too many wide open shots. I literally have to anticipate where the ball may go, switch to the defensive player, and try to contest everything because the CPU help does a shitty job of staying put. This is with "Help D" turned all the way down too.

-Player faces have the zombie look on the cutaway screens. Makes them look eerie as hell. Played three games with my Lakers, and I'm still waiting for that Kobe mean face!!

- Slowdown in the Cavs arena was brutal but appears to be an isolated issue. In playing in Portland, Sacramento, and Staples Center, there wasn't any slowdown. But I do still think that Live has the upper-hand on overall graphical fidelity. You'll see some sharp elbows here and there.

-Post game is ridonkulously unrealistic with it comes to capabilities. Scrubs on the Queens were doing up and unders on Pau like they were Kareem

- Isomotion needs to die a slow and painful death after this year. They say it's simplified, but it's still way too hard to remember all the move combinations. It's stiff, unintuitive, and not entirely responsive. They can easily use the L Trigger as a modifier allowing the R Stick to be used for dribble moves.

- Leaners and momentum shots are hit n miss in execution. Sometimes they work, but most times they don't.

- Alley-Opps are dope, but they are way too easy to pull off in traffic.

- Post game stats and diagrams are buggy. The shot maps don't accurately show off misses and makes. In a game I shot 13 times with Kobe, there was only 2 greens and 2 reds... Sloppy!!

- Online gameplay vs randoms will be frustrating again. All the cheese we know and hate is still there. You can rip inbounds passes, double team and switch to someone else to steal, play the lanes for steals without substantial risks, pick and roll and it's not even Day 1 yet...

- No lobbies again, no detail on a players connect/drop history prior to a game, it's the wild wild west again. :(

Overall, 2K10 seems like it'll be a keeper if not for Association Mode alone. When you're playing the CPU, you can play a sim style experience while knowing the CPU will return the favor. In head to head games, it appears that all bets will be off just like the past few years were. I can confidently say that I'll be around for 2K10 league play.

Questions?

anachronous_one said:
Shawnwhann, over on Operation Sports, Momentous and Pared were saying that slowdown was relieved a bit by turning off the "zoom in the key" camera. Have you tried that?

Also:
1) Is 2K cam playable (without lag) online (or offline, for that matter)?
2) Any glitches regarding inbounding the ball? I noticed the demo for 2K10 that if the ref tosses the ball to a player on an inbounds play, and the ball touches the court more than once, the player inbounding the ball will returnthe ball to the ref. This resulted in one instance where the ref and Odom passed the ball back and forth seven times before they were close enough to each other that the bounce pass to Odom only hit the floor once before reaching him. Play resumed as usual from there. Seen anything like that?
3) Are leaners and drifting shots easier to execute than in the demo?

Thanks in advance.

1. I don't really play with 2K cam anymore, but in the offline game I played it did chug sporadically in US Airways Center in Phoenix.

2. Inbounding the ball is not as clean as I'd like. In addition to the steal tactic, sometimes the ref zones out for a long time before handing the ball off....like he's high or something :lol

3. Nope, leaners and drifting shots are fundamentally inconsistent making it broken in my opinion

pilonv1

- Post game stats and diagrams are buggy. The shot maps don't accurately show off misses and makes. In a game I shot 13 times with Kobe, there was only 2 greens and 2 reds... Sloppy!!

That's been a problem since 2k4 or 2k5.

Overall how do you feel about defense in the online league this year? Better or inferior to 2k9?

Interested in this too. From the demo it seemed like you could stay in front better but if you gambled or tried too hard to force someone one way you got burned.

Dark FaZe said:
Thanks for the writeup!

Overall how do you feel about defense in the online league this year? Better or inferior to 2k9?

TBD, I'm still relearning the game after spending so much time on Live 10. Things are looking ok though.

The one thing I will say about defense is that I'm really not feeling how dumb the A.I. is when it comes to staying with their man. Starting to feel like I have to play zone to get better coverage on some offensive sets.

Ugh...The Suns shot 83 percent on me in the first half of an Association game I'm playing right now. The sliders get some workin' out after this game. Down 30-34 :(

speculawyer said:
How do you guys get early copies? Are you reviewers?

Do you know people at retail that break the street date?

Street date is broken in some cities, but I'm just the lucky benefactor of having some connections to people that have 2K Games as a marketing client.

I promised some hook-ups when my "other" connections break their street dates, so I ain't forgot about yall! ;-)

WITNESS2K9 said:
yo can i get in this league
added to waiting list. dont worry though, some poor sap will bail for live 10 leauge.
(cb3?)

speculawyer said:
How do you guys get early copies? Are you reviewers?

Do you know people at retail that break the street date?
if im nice, im getting my copy on friday

Well, the Suns just finished running me off their court with a 71-51 victory. They shot a sizzling 80% all game while I only managed to shoot a paltry 56%. :lol

The game is fundamentally sound, but I suspect it would feel so much better had I not been spoiled by Live's silky smooth momentum-based jump shooting game.

Time to take a break for now, I have to get preparations in order for a game show I'm going to be on tomorrow! :D

I'd also like to point out that if you do a fantasy draft in association mode you will see teams taking Jonny Flynn in the first round.

Greatest. AI. Ever.

Baby Milo

i was firmly in the live 10 camp but the news on association has me rethinking it. Im pretty much a single player dynasty mode guy but im loving what ive played of Live but they have done nothing to improve that mode.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
ph33nix said:
I'd also like to point out that if you do a fantasy draft in association mode you will see teams taking Jonny Flynn in the first round.

Greatest. AI. Ever.
I don't see anything wrong with that.

HiResDes

Sol.. said:
god i love that Rondo rating.

people went APESHIT. Tack on Live not even putting him up on the top PG list and the glory just explodes into the stratosphere.
What the fuck I love 2K, but not having Rose in the top 10 seems simply absurd to me.

Edit: Oh and 2K has Brooke Lopez listed as the 4th best center in the league:lol

So what's the definitive answer to framerate drops in 2K/Drive cameras? Is it as bad as 2K9? Is it there at all? Does installing to the hard drive smooth it out?

SOMEBODY PLEASE:lol This was my only truly huge annoyance in 2K9.

HiResDes

Net_Wrecker said:
So what's the definitive answer to framerate drops in 2K/Drive cameras? Is it as bad as 2K9? Is it there at all? Does installing to the hard drive smooth it out?

SOMEBODY PLEASE:lol This was my only truly huge annoyance in 2K9.
I just hope 5on5 is handled better, there should be some sort of league for it...That would be tremendous.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Shawnwhann said:
Alright guys, here's some early impressions.

Overall, 2K10 seems like it'll be a keeper if not for Association Mode alone. When you're playing the CPU, you can play a sim style experience while knowing the CPU will return the favor. In head to head games, it appears that all bets will be off just like the past few years were. I can confidently say that I'll be around for 2K10 league play.

Questions?

Need more association details!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom