• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

Jordan just dunked their heads off. Damn he is the GOAT.

but seriously, quit trolling. That happens in a split second and returns to normal. Most people won't notice it.

benjipwns

Banned
The M.O.B said:
So is Steam confirmed to have it up tomorrow? I just want to be sure so I can avoid a trip to Gamestop.
Should be, it showed up around noon PDT last year.
BigKaboom2 said:
m2551497.jpg

Nice.
OnLive version is pretty ugly in comparison.

RDreamer said:
Since it looks like the buy-in is optional on the PS3 league I think I'll join. I don't expect to win any games at all, so I'll be surprised if I do.

PSN: RDreamer

My team choices: Bucks, Mavs, Hawks

Really hoping I get the bucks.
great, welcome to the best league!

ps3 league player list:

1. viakado- Lakers
2. Purexed-Thunder
3. Diddybop-Celtics
4. rinse82-Heat,magic, bulls
5. pistolpete2940-Heat, Nets, Rockets
6. Dmncnby2k9
7. thauoftkidd-magic,mavs,pistons
8. thomasbk-jazz,rockets,grizzlies
9. Big Baybee
10. btothekw-warriors,knicks,bulls
11. johnny_park
12. MorisUkunRasik-blazers,bulls,bucks
13. bdizzle ????
14. SamuraiX-Kings, Suns, 76ers
15. PSN id:kulitchris bulls,warriors,knicks
16. Seattle6418 Magic, Knicks
17. 3rdamention - pacers
18. borghe - ????
19. RDreamer - Bucks, Mavs, Hawks

paypal optional for ps3 league.
league thread should be up shortly.

NBA® 2K11™ AVAILABLE FIRST ON ONLIVE 10/5/2010 12:01 AM PDT

Probably a nice way to demo the game . . . but it won't look pretty.

It is coming to Steam as well.

Babalu. said:
can someone confirm if there is still lag in 2k camera mode? framerate lag or video lag whatever you want to call it.

That shit ruined 2k10. Is it smooth framerate or is that damn lag back?

please please please check!

Game is smooth in every camera mode. I only play in 2K camera mode and have not noticed a bit of lag in about the 20 games I've played.

In general I cannot stress how polished and amazing the game is in every way this year.

DiddyBop

For PS3 League members

If your name or list of 3 teams aren't listed here then go to that thread and post. we need to get the team thing settled before the league starts. we'll set up the matches if people want to battle for a particular team. the absolute deadline is sunday, october 17th. after that we'll just auto assign teams (while respecting your 3 choices of course).

Smokey

Man there were a lot of people lined up at gamestop for midnight release...at least 30.

DCX and I played as soon as we got the game. Was ugly, BUT...no disconnect, no freethrow lag. Smooth on the very first try.

Also if you play on the road it really feels like a tough environment. The Knicks crowd was loud, music playing from the PA system. It really felt like a road game. They were even booing at the end of the game because I won:lol

Gonna take sometime to get back in the swing of things, but it was a good first sign.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Babalu. said:
can someone confirm if there is still lag in 2k camera mode? framerate lag or video lag whatever you want to call it.

That shit ruined 2k10. Is it smooth framerate or is that damn lag back?

please please please check!

Completely gone. This game is as smooth as butter. Jordan is amazing in the game and whipping the Heat's ass with the 95-96 Bulls was already a great experience. Jordan dropped 44 FYI.

I'm use to be a huge fan of the NBA and played a lot of NBA Live back in the day. Haven't really played a good b-ball game in awhile.

I'm thinking about picking this up just because of Jordan.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm use to be a huge fan of the NBA and played a lot of NBA Live back in the day. Haven't really played a good b-ball game in awhile.

I'm thinking about picking this up just because of Jordan.

The best thing about this game is that even non-hardcore Basketball fans can enjoy it. Playing as MJ is basically an arcade game.

SephCast said:
The best thing about this game is that even non-hardcore Basketball fans can enjoy it. Playing as MJ is basically an arcade game.
The early reviews is also selling me like calling it the greatest b-ball game of all-time.

2K should just support next installments with DLCs, because I don't see how they'll top this one next year.

Kobe was last year, Jordan this year, arguably the #2 and #1 greatest players of all-time. Who's next? :D

And no, it's not LeBron...or Durant! :p

Heezzi

Banned
Where is player match? I am trying to play against a co worker and I don't want it on my ranking.

Also I want to be able to play with the whole team and not just one player.

benjipwns said:
Just wait for next years Laimbeer Challenge with isomotion elbow control.
Mutombo and Laimbeer can have a elbow contest! :p

EDIT: Of course Mutombo was never a dirty player but his elbows were still unintentionally deadly!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
There was a long line for this game at my local Gamestop. I'm utterly surprised. Put the Gawd on the cover and his flock shall buy in droves.

Agent Icebeezy said:
There was a long line for this game at my local Gamestop. I'm utterly surprised. Put the Gawd on the cover and his flock shall buy in droves.
I'm sort of surprised but not surprised at the same time. This may be the best selling sports game this year even more than Madden? Well, at least in the US.

Purexed

Banned
Did a half day a work to pick up this baby and dig in. BTW, these impressions are for the PS3 edition of the game.

+Online play is much better this year if the first 8 games I've played were any indication. While the connection did have some variance, the gameplay was smooth with only a few rare hitches.

+ The Jordan stuff is very well done. Fans of the Bulls and Jordan are going to go nuts at the level of detail and authenticity put into MJ and company.

+ Graphically the game looks fine, some kid on OS was complaining over how bad it looked, but this is the best looking b-ball game I've laid my eyes on

+ The sound and mixing of the crowds are much better than the demo. There much more nuance and ebb and flow with the arena stuff. Seeming Benny the Bull doing MC Hammer's "You Can't Touch This" dance was classic. :lol

+ The animations are ridiculous. One time I dunked on Bill Laimbeer with Jordan and the way Jordan's nuts hung in Bill's face had me ROFL.

+ Control is much improved, but the inability to walk makes getting to the hot spots tough on playcalls. Hopefully they can patch that in.

+ Commentary is great just like last year. One annoyance on online play are the frequent pauses to discuss random BS like upcoming schedules and such. It's fine for offline play, but these segments add hidden time to the game.

+ Cheesing with money pick and roll plays and half court passes are a thing of the past. It's not completely sewn shut, but I'm very happy with the gains made to curb cheese that had worked for years.

+ Modes, modes and more modes. It's somewhat intimidating and tough to figure out where to start first.

- PS Move integration is cool, but pulling off the advanced moves is pretty tough. Also this game doesn't support the navigation controller. You have to hold the DS3 in one hand while holding the wand in the other. The response on the Move setup was good, but you'd be an idiot to invest too much time in this inferior control setup.

- Online settings aren't saved. So setting things like auto subs and absolute shot control will require a pause and setup before every game

- Playcalling takes a little too long to get initiated. You have to literally stand on the hot spot for second before the play gets underway. Live 10's playcalling strikes me as more user friendly and intuitive.

- Classic teams aren't available for online play. Wat!

-Online stat tracking appeared to be glitchy. I played about 9 games, yet I'm still showing a 0-0 record. I got achievements for online wins though, so hopefully it's a mild server glitch.

- The Heat will be the new Lakers. Cheesers are going to have a ball with those cats. Lebron and Wade are like having two Kobes on a team.

DCX

DCX
Breaking ( ankles):

Knicks point guards Tony Douglas and Raymond Felton will start the season on injury reserve after a pre-season game against the Rockets left ACLs and Ankles in shambles.

Both point guards were literally "shook the fuck out!" according to ast Coach Phill Webber. MRI in the morning but calls has been already place to Dr James Andrews. More to follow.

I'm going to be, been up 20 hours and well worth it. Smokey can tell you the Knicks PG situation..peace, GOAT, first born et all

DCX

Sloegr

I'm interested in the PC version, but I saw on OS that the PC version has the old menus and lacks custom audio. Those two things aren't that big of a deal, but it makes me wonder if the PC version is lacking in other ways.

Zep

Banned
ElJuice said:
I'm interested in the PC version, but I saw on OS that the PC version has the old menus and lacks custom audio. Those two things aren't that big of a deal, but it makes me wonder if the PC version is lacking in other ways.

No.

52club

If a PC league starts up, and I'm able to get the game for $10 from Amazon (like last year) I would take the Bulls.

Wow, this thread is blowing up! :lol Sorry for the double post, looks like an official roster update is out. Maybe it was last night for you guys that got it though.

SamuraiX-

zero margin said:
Wow, this thread is blowing up! :lol Sorry for the double post, looks like an official roster update is out. Maybe it was last night for you guys that got it though.

LINK NAO! :D

SamuraiX-

zero margin said:
It's just a thread on the OS forums. As soon as I can get more details I will post it here.

Yeah, you're right. Someone checked this morning and they said Xavier Henry and Greivis Vasquez were on the Grizzlies roster, full pics and all.

I checked another topic and it looks like from a twitter comment, 2k didn't expect to be releasing the roster update until the end of this week?

ecnal

Purexed said:
+ Control is much improved, but the inability to walk makes getting to the hot spots tough on playcalls. Hopefully they can patch that in.

from wang:

The walking up court animations had to come out when the new dribbler system was rewritten. Believe me, I wanted them in just as bad as you but there were just too many higher priority items (both core movement as well as Isomotion features) that had to get in first and we just ran out of time. Unfortunately, the improved blending and foot planting provided by the new tech also makes it more difficult for us to just drop in content like we used to. I agree the "crawl dribble" you guys are referring to is painfully slow. The nice thing about it is that it makes it much easier for you to micro adjust without overshooting your destination, but it would be nice to have something in between the crawl and the run speed when coming upcourt. Our engineers are looking into the feasibility of doing something for the patch but I can't make any promises. Changes like this involve data which can quickly bloat the patch size and either put us over the allowed limit or prevent us from being able to take other fixes. We are trying though.

SamuraiX- said:
Yeah, you're right. Someone checked this morning and they said Xavier Henry and Greivis Vasquez were on the Grizzlies roster, full pics and all.

I checked another topic and it looks like from a twitter comment, 2k didn't expect to be releasing the roster update until the end of this week?

They said maaybe today but yeah aiming for this week. Find out later I suppose.

About to head out but love what I'm playing. The association play will be great in this game. I couldn't believe the disrespectful shots that Dirk was launching in my face...jab step jumpers, fades right in my grill, shots off the glass...I was really surprised.

I'll have to get used to the sticks...maybe hours of scrimmage mode, after that it's getting the plays down. I'm so used to the old dual player control settings and it's going to take some getting used to with this. I would also encourage everyone to try some shots in practice mode to get the timing down. For momentum jumpers especially I was surprised that my shots were almost always too early despite being completely in match with the animation. Certain shots force you to release much later than you'd think.

Mrbob

Smokey said:
Also if you play on the road it really feels like a tough environment. The Knicks crowd was loud, music playing from the PA system. It really felt like a road game. They were even booing at the end of the game because I won:lol

Awesome. I've been wanting sports games to capture the feeling of playing a road game for a long time. MLB The Show does a decent job but it could be better (of course baseball games aren't as loud). Madden is terrible. Every game feels like it is played on an empty field with no crowd there.

clo1_2000

Banned
I have quite a conundrum on my hands: 2K11 releases today, but leves reset on FF XIV today as well. Not enough hours in the day to game the way I want :(

Top Bottom