• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

ps3 league player list:

1. viakado- Lakers
2. Purexed-Thunder
3. Diddybop-Celtics
4. rinse82-Heat,magic, bulls
5. pistolpete2940-Heat, Nets, Rockets
6. Dmncnby2k9 -jazz,Knicks,bulls
7. thauoftkidd-magic,mavs,pistons
8. thomasbk-jazz,rockets,grizzlies
9. Big Baybee - hornets,warriors,grizz
10. btothekw-warriors,knicks,bulls
11. johnny_park - blazers,magic,rockets
12. MorisUkunRasik-blazers,bulls,bucks
13. bdizzle ????
14. SamuraiX-Kings, Suns, 76ers
15. PSN id:kulitchris bulls,warriors,knicks
16. Seattle6418 Magic, Knicks
17. 3rdamention - pacers
18. borghe - bucks,bulls, mavs, nets
19. RDreamer - Bucks, Mavs, Hawks

paypal optional for ps3 league.
ps3 league thread here

So they've upped the price of the PC version from last year. Hopefully this means that we'll get patches day and date with the console versions and not when the regular season is over.

Looks like I won't be getting my copy from Amazon until tomorrow. Probably going to buy it on Steam this afternoon (prefer it anyways) and send the Amazon copy back.

HELP!!! for anyone that knows how to do the pump fake step through shot. What is the timing?

I hold down L2/LT pump fake with the right stick and before the pump fake ends push the right stick in any direction to shoot.

I flick the right stick and hold L2/LT and I immediately flick again and it just pump fakes like crazy.

this video move here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhZj57m3TFA#t=1m04s

BigKaboom2 said:
m2551497.jpg

Nice.
Take that Jesus Bynum :lol

mbmonk

Wessiej said:
I ordered this game, and I don't even like basketball, thank you GAFHype.

LMAO. I hope you enjoy it. It might be a challenge if you don't like basketball. :lol

I just picked it up for the PS3 at lunch. Now the clock needs to jump to 5pm so I can get home and dig in.

I think I'll pick this up after work. I'm just going to take all five of my UK Wildcats and throw them on a team. :D Not actually going to do that, but I am looking forward to playing tonight. Will probably pick it up on the 360 since it sounds like the PS3 is a bit inferior (not by much obviously, but I might as well get the better version if I have the choice).

blurredvision said:
I think I'll pick this up after work. I'm just going to take all five of my UK Wildcats and throw them on a team. :D Not actually going to do that, but I am looking forward to playing tonight. Will probably pick it up on the 360 since it sounds like the PS3 is a bit inferior (not by much obviously, but I might as well get the better version if I have the choice).

I tried that with a 2k10 fan-made roster, but they basically made Boogie and Wall overpowered but Bledsoe couldn't shoot for shit. At least Cal will have us a decent team in the NBA by 2k13. :D

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Darkness said:
This game is really good. I love the presentation :D

I'm really happy that the instant replays they show are much smoother. The player of the game highlights are a real treat to watch as well.

WJD

How accessible is this game to noobs?

I'm looking at getting into the NBA having never followed it properly. Thought I'd pick up a game to go with it and heard this was better than EA's effort.

I'm English btw.

PS. Who should I support?

jergrah

Quick question to those that have it -- does the Right Stick passing (RB + RS) work better in the final version vs the demo? I found it to be spotty/nearly useless in the demo and am hoping it works better in the final game. To add some substance, it seems like far to often I would tap RB and hit the Right Stick in the direction I wanted to pass but either A) Nothing would happen at all, B) It would go into the shot animation or C) it would bring up the icons for off the ball control like I was holding RB vs tapping

My copy will be delivered today -- looking forward to checking it out after work.

mbmonk

WJD said:
I'm English btw.

Personally I think you should chose/support Liverpool if you are new. Torres is a beast in the post and great on fast breaks. :D

EDIT: I might make Fernando Torres in 'My Player' mode :lol

Nabs

mbmonk said:
LMAO. I have turned into a STEAM snob. If it isn't on Steam I probably won't buy it until it shows up there. :D
same. i want all my games in my steam library, and i dont think i'll buy another physical pc game again.

i played a bit of this last night (pc) on onlive just to test the controls. kinda sad to see the 2k10 menu system. i wonder if anything else is gimped.

WJD

mbmonk said:
Personally I think you should chose/support Liverpool if you are new. Torres is a beast in the post and great on fast breaks. :D

EDIT: I might make Fernando Torres in 'My Player' mode :lol

Even though you're joking, I still find that suggestion highly offensive.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
WJD said:

I'm looking at getting into the NBA having never followed it properly. Thought I'd pick up a game to go with it and heard this was better than EA's effort.

I'm English btw.

Luol Deng is the best player on the British National Team, and he plays for the Bulls, so you should root for them.

mbmonk

WJD said:
Even though you're joking, I still find that suggestion highly offensive.

Apologies. It definitely wasn't my intent. I am just a Torres fan and I hardly ever get to watch his games here in the US.

If you don't mind me asking why did you find it offensive? You can PM me with your response if you prefer.

SamuraiX-

GameZone NBA 2K11 Review

GameZone said:
As bold as it seems, the choice of Michael Jordan as NBA 2K11’s cover athlete isn’t too far removed from Electronic Arts’ powerplay moves in the sports genre for the NFL, MLB and the like. Michael Jordan still brings a reputation that supersedes almost every athlete in sports today that isn’t named Tiger Woods. So placing “His Airness” on the front of the box art with his tongue sticking out is bound to bring in countless basketball fans who may or may not have been sitting on the sidelines this generation of sports titles.

2K Sports should be thankful that throwing Michael Jordan on the front cover wasn’t just a ploy to sell copies behind a terrible basketball title—this notion couldn’t be further from the truth even if it tried. NBA 2K11 is an all around superb title with a few hiccups that still plays similarly to titles from the past, but this time, with a lot more vigor. Longtime 2K fans should be able to pick up and play NBA 2K11 with ease, and this fact alone should be able to draw fans in with or without MJ on the front.

The best update to this year’s installment has to be the addition of game modes that revolve around Michael Jordan and the ever-popular Chicago Bulls that brought forth the spectacle of the NBA and its superstars that demands attention of sports fans worldwide.
The franchise mode (Association) is among the best I have seen on this generation of consoles. Initiating trades—whether manually or automatically from CPU offers—has never presented itself intelligently in the past and NBA 2K11 finally raises the bar. Building the perfect team—you know, a team that can win the NBA Championship without a superstar player—is beautifully played out in NBA 2K11.

While Michael Jordan is on the cover, and I don’t think that idea alone is enough to warrant a purchase of NBA 2K11, it is a surprising tale to see the team behind the title go the extra lengths to craft a title that shows the beauty that was Jordan’s career. The Jordan Challenges add a new level of depth to a genre that has often relied on the same set of game modes that have grown tiresome in recent memory. In comparison to the dreadful dunk contest and stale 3-Point-Shootout, the Jordan Challenges are a welcome addition.

The downside of having the teams from yesteryear is not having them represented in full. Rocking out with the Bad Boys that roughed up Jordan any chance they could and not being able to substitute in Rick Mahorn and Vinnie Johnson is a letdown, but perhaps this will be an area that the team can work on in the future for fully capturing the era that made basketball what it is today. Until then, NBA 2K11 does a fantastic job at capturing the environment, but doesn’t have every piece in play at this current point in time.

The presentation and graphics are a cut above the rest of the genre, though, a few players—Joe Dumars to name one individual—often have the stink face stuck to their mug. Still, the fact remains that NBA 2K11 lives and breathes the NBA environment with authenticity to make fans live in a world filled with wonder. Straight from the get-go, gamers will notice the fantastic loading screen where Michael Jordan invites them to stick around for the show as it has just begun. From there, the late 1980’s and ‘90’s is lived out throughout 2K11 to the point that nostalgic isn’t enough to describe how the title personifies the simplicity of the NBA during the rivalry heavy era.

On the flip side, the menus in NBA 2K11 aren’t the easiest to navigate and could’ve had extra weight cut off around its belly. It’s not a deterrence, but it certainly does create a few extra headaches that weren’t necessary.

Playing NBA 2K11 against the computer AI has been jacked up on the default settings. Gamers will want to fully grasp control of the maneuvers, playsets, strengths of their players and the like before jumping into ranked online games as it’s no longer a breeze to stride into the lane and slam-dunk the ball with enthusiasm. In the past, it always felt as if the series was focused on the offense side of the ball; in NBA 2K11, the defensive portions outweigh the rest, so it’s important to freshen up before heading immediately into the competitive grounds.

That’s not to say the title isn’t without its AI flaws. Playing a game of 21 against Shawn Kemp and Patrick Ewing proved to one of the most idiotic games I have ever seen in action. Patrick Ewing would jack up long distance threes while Kemp would finger roll in traffic rather than using his dunking prowess to overpower the opposition. So it was blatantly apparent that a few players, whether superstars or not, would never play to their strengths and try their best to screw everything up. Watching Dwight Howard attempt to beat his opponents off the dribble and pull back for a fadeaway three-pointer was worthy of a headshake or two.

NBA 2K11 has a lot to take in for basketball and sports fans, so it’s a title that deserves a second look beyond the Michael Jordan cover art. The Association Mode improvement of better trade AI is worth it alone. For players who normally stick to the online affairs, they can find and play in competitive leagues with ease. Initial online matches ran smooth, but after the servers are hit with the masses this week, we can’t confidently state they’ll remain that way. So, for the time being, we are crossing our fingers that online matches continue to play with no disturbances.

NBA 2K11 is a well-rounded package that deserves the attention for any sports aficionado.

Rating:
8.5/10

anddo0

The PS Move controls are pretty easy to get a hang of. My jump shot is actually better with the Move (Real Life Shooting % setting).. Passing can be done by pressing an holding L1 on the DS3 and then the icon, or by pressing the L analog stick and then the Move button and pointing to your intended target.. No Nav controller support sucks (hopefully they patch it in). As of now you can only use the Move in game (no menu support). The calibration was easy, just point and done in less than 8 secs. Having Nav control support would make a world of a difference.

reaver18

This game is so good. Love how you can't just score in the paint every trip down the court anymore. Isomotion is still difficult but I guess that's a good thing.

WJD

mbmonk said:
Apologies. It definitely wasn't my intent. I am just a Torres fan and I hardly ever get to watch his games here in the US.

If you don't mind me asking why did you find it offensive? You can PM me with your response if you prefer.
It's ok man, I wasn't being serious :lol

It's just that I'm a Man United fan so therefore don't like Liverpool. Torres IS a good player though... When not injured.

Oh, and Bulls it is.

SamuraiX-

I'm hearing that 2K still missed A LOT of lower key players on most of the teams with the first roster update.

Sucks. Hope they get on that so I can start my association right when I get the game. :D

mbmonk

WJD said:
It's ok man, I wasn't being serious :lol

It's just that I'm a Man United fan so therefore don't like Liverpool. Torres IS a good player though... When not injured.

:lol :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SamuraiX- said:
I'm hearing that 2K still missed A LOT of lower key players on most of the teams with the first roster update.

Sucks. Hope they get on that so I can start my association right when I get the game. :D
For sports games, I don't seriously start and sort of franchise mode until the first roster update gets posted after regular season rosters are locked down. I'm not too worried.

Smokey

WJD said:

I'm English btw.

If you've never played 2k before, you will be intimidated by the sheer amount of stuff you can do with the sticks. Not only that but there is a lot of micro adjusting that you can do on offense and defense.

It's really as complex as you want it to be. If you just want to play and are new to the nba too...id just put the game on rookie and fun can still be had at that level for a new player.

But in general, practice mode will be your friend.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
SamuraiX- said:

Is Jeremy Lin in? I want to drop 50 on the Heat with him.

hlhbk

Anyone here pick up the pc version yet if so can you please answer the following questions:

I know that the menu is the same as last year compared to the updated version on pc, but is everything else changed? Is the presentation, player models, and gameplay the same as the console versions?

Did they fix the issue where you couldn’t’ hear the ball bouncing on the court or sneakers squeeling?

Does the game run well? Please post your specs and settings?

WJD

Smokey said:
If you've never played 2k before, you will be intimidated by the sheer amount of stuff you can do with the sticks. Not only that but there is a lot of micro adjusting that you can do on offense and defense.

It's really as complex as you want it to be. If you just want to play and are new to the nba too...id just put the game on rookie and fun can still be had at that level for a new player.

But in general, practice mode will be your friend.

Thanks, I'm downloading the demo now so I'll soon see what's up.

Smokey

WJD said:
Thanks, I'm downloading the demo now so I'll soon see what's up.

You'll be able to get a general feel for the basic gameplay with the demo, but NBA2K demos are severely stripped down almost to the point of not bothering. A lot of the advanced gameplay features are not in the demo, but like I said you'll be able to get a general feel for the game at a basic level with it.

Vestal

Impressions from 4hrs of playing..

So right off the bat the game throws me against the Lakers. Tied with 26 seconds left.... 32 Punch to Jordan.. FADE AWAY bam up by two 2seconds left.. FREAKING Worthy with a 30foot 3pointer for the win. DAMMIT

After that I went through 3 of the Challenges.. Completed Double Nickle, The Shrug.. and Fell 1 assist short from the Arrival(Celtics went into foul mode last minute and half couldnt get my last assist in).

Challenge Impressions:

The Arrival: Jordan is a slam dunking BEAST in this. 8min quarters does feel a bit short, and made me really push to score early.

The Shrug: EASY one here. I just destroyed the Blazers. Ended up winning by 28 points. They made 1 real run at me during the 3rd, but Pippen went off on them and ended that 4min into it.

Double Nickel: The Knicks had some pretty good defense. It was a bit of a struggle to maintain the 55% shooting percentage.. The score however was a blowout.

Player Impressions

Ewing is a GOD in the paint.. He scorched me for 29 on 67% shooting. Even with double teams he was faking the defense and just scoring at will around the paint.

Cliff Robison. Wow he plays above his skill set(Atleast the skill set he had back in 92)

Robert Parish The Chief is awesome in this game..

Larry Bird: Bird was kinda quiet during the game.. But pulled off some signature moves.

If you are playing the challenges, your bread and butter with be 32 Punch.. With MJ its almost unstopabble.

Most memorable play for me was, a 32 punch with Pipen on the wing, he fakes the pass to Jordan on the post the defender goes for the fake MJ goes towards the hoop for an Alley Op from Pipen it looked awesome.

This game is just AWESOME.. Presentation, graphics EVERYTHING.. The attention to detail for the Bulls team is unbelivable.. Each player feels like their real life counterpart.

1 complaint.

MANUAL.. WTF 2k make a real manual and not this Download bullshit.

Hoping to get a couple of more challenges tonight.. probably 69 points and Fathers day game.. Will probably leave the Series with the Lakers for last.

Vestal

Bah what was the link to download the Manual for 360? I left the game at home and wanted to read up the manual here at work.

Top Bottom