• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

Vestal

FTWer said:
I saw a NB2k11 vid on the 360 dashboard & the guy interviewed did say they have foot planting technology this year & were restricted on some things because of it.

Can you do that? I thought it would only work after you crossed the half court line?

Yeah you can aslong as u dont take too long to reach the start spot. I usually start calling right before Half court so that they are in position to start the play when I get to the top of the key.

EDIT: Yeah they wrote something concerning it.. If im not mistaken one of the things aswell was the lack of Walk animation. but that they were gona try and add it in.

RDreamer

Man, I don't get this My Player thing. It seems pretty hard as hell. I can hit all the shots ever on the shooting drill, but in a game my player doesn't hit ANYTHING, even if I'm wide open. And the shots it calls bad selections are sometimes really weird.

pilonv1

ecnal said:
you mean like you pass the ball to a guy who is posted up, you then want to pivot out and face up the defender/back out of the post?

pretty sure it's still just the left stick away from the basket/defender.

Yeah I want to face up but keep my pivot, not dribble away. I haven't been able to do it without dribbling away, last I think you could just hold LT or LT+RT to do it.

ecnal

pilonv1 said:
Yeah I want to face up but keep my pivot, not dribble away. I haven't been able to do it without dribbling away, last I think you could just hold LT or LT+RT to do it.

i think it's either just a quick tap of the left stick away from the defender or LT + left stick away from the defender/basket.

ecnal

FTWer said:
I saw a NB2k11 vid on the 360 dashboard & the guy interviewed did say they have foot planting technology this year & were restricted on some things because of it.

ya, i've seen that too, and wang/jones have both confirmed that the dribbling mechanics have been rewritten, but, compared to Live10's foot planting tech, something still feels awkward with 2K11. it's hard to explain but i still get the impression that the iso motion stuff is still activating a series of animations that aren't really player controlled--the only difference being you can now stop or link other iso moves at will.

in Live10, it never felt like a series of animations; it felt like you were actually controlling the dribbling in relation to the player's position. 2K is still, "i'm going to do these iso moves in order to get to this location on the court" rather than "i'm going to move to this position on the court by using iso motion on the fly."

maybe they just haven't implemented the foot tech plant all the way? i dunno, just still feels a little bit weird and animation heavy--albeit signifcantly less than previous 2Ks.

mbmonk

Is anyone on the PS3 having problems playing online or playing online successfully?

I keep getting disconnected by the end of 1st quarter for every game. Probably been 8 in a row now. I also am getting messages about "lost connection to 2k" while I am playing against the CPU.

I play MW2 just find; so I don't believe it's my internet connection.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
The passing in this game is frustrating. The computer will jump every pass, cutting down on the angles way too well. Visually it appears you have good spacing, and any good basketball player knows how to seal their defender so they can receive a pass but these defenders jump and tip almost everything.

Do you guys know which sliders effect this? Defensive awareness and steal success seem the likely ones but, I don't want the defense to be stupid. I just want them to play more realistic defense.

On the flip side the passing animations that you get are freakin lazy a lot of the times too. So the entry pass you are throwing is easier to pick off because it's a slow ass pass.

Any passing tips?

mbmonk said:
Is anyone on the PS3 having problems playing online or playing online successfully?

I keep getting disconnected by the end of 1st quarter for every game. Probably been 8 in a row now. I also am getting messages about "lost connection to 2k" while I am playing against the CPU.

I play MW2 just find; so I don't believe it's my internet connection.
I've played a bunch of online games. No problems. Smooth as butter. Maybe do some port forwarding?

Truelize said:
The passing in this game is frustrating. The computer will jump every pass, cutting down on the angles way too well. Visually it appears you have good spacing, and any good basketball player knows how to seal their defender so they can receive a pass but these defenders jump and tip almost everything.

Do you guys know which sliders effect this? Defensive awareness and steal success seem the likely ones but, I don't want the defense to be stupid. I just want them to play more realistic defense.

On the flip side the passing animations that you get are freakin lazy a lot of the times too. So the entry pass you are throwing is easier to pick off because it's a slow ass pass.

Any passing tips?

Agreed, pick-and-rolls are crazy hard now because of this.

qcf x2

Truelize said:

Any passing tips?

Yes. This. Help, please!

mbmonk

viakado said:
I've played a bunch of online games. No problems. Smooth as butter. Maybe do some port forwarding?

Well I am glad it's working for you. There seems to be some more people having problems over at the Operations Sports forums.

I don't THINK it's a port issue because my PS3 is set as the DMZ. Oh well always tomorrow.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
BlaneH said:
What camera does everyone play with? I'm new to the series and really haven't found anything I like.

I have stuck with the default. I really like the presentation. But I'm sure most people in the leagues play with the 2k camera.

Truelize said:

Any passing tips?

Passing was a chore for me and I'm getting progressively better

1. Check the tendencies of your player(s) and see what type of passer rating he has

2. Check your Defenders, defense ratings

3. Fake Pass, use this too see if the player likes to jump passing lanes, he want always go for it but you will manage to know who is aggressive.

4. Pick and Rolls are really easy once you learn the pass and P & R system coupled with LEAD PASSING. Lead passing is vital too your success as well as your players awareness.

E.G. Kobe on the Wing(ball in hand) I call for Gasol to set for Pick and Release Tap L1/LB to bring up icons press and release the PF icon square on the PS3 and as he approaches release before he arrives, once he set the pick make you move, now that you made your move Gasol will release toward the basket. Tap L1 and select the PF icon and lead pass him in the route he's traveling. or you can change his route with Lead Passing to pick and pop.

I know I just wrote a lot of stuff, but it is easy to pull off all kinds of passing once you know who is on the floor. Some of the players on D are Ball Hawks and sometimes you have to play to their weakness and treat them like Dion Sanders by totally ignoring them.

I spent all day monday learning the Pass mechanics and other moves. I spent literally 12 hours in practice mode scrimmage not worrying about winning learning.

mbmonk

Truelize said:

Any passing tips?

I have had a lot of luck so far running plays and then using icon lead passing to lead the pass recipeint to an open area. I haven't had a lot of luck with the screen and rolls.

Also if you are trying to feed the post or make a pass to a teammate dribble to create an angle for the pass. So for example you are on the wing and trying to feed the post and the defense is fronting your post man, dribble base line and that will give you the angle to get it in there.

I am not sure this is really going to help you, but I have been able to pass the ball around w/o it being picked off, but I am playing on the default difficulty level so maybe that is why it's easier.

ecnal

Truelize said:

Any passing tips?

difficulty level seems to have the most drastic effect on pass success rate--the higher the difficulty, the more likely passes get picked.

but some defenders (a la Artest) are just ruthless on d on all difficulty levels.

messing with sliders like d & o awareness will fuck up other aspects of the game, so i highly recommend you steer clear of changing those.

charsace

Truelize said:

Any passing tips?
Passing is fine the way it is imo. Follow basic passing rules and you won't turn it over. Throwing passes into traffic is now a skill like it is in real life.

I took a look at the 2k forums and the complaints on there are funny. People want the game to be easier to play so that they can cheese it up like they did in previous years. I hope in 2k12 all the retarded player speedups are gone. The ones on defense are gone so now you can pull up off the dribble. they need to get rid of the ones on offense.

If you don't feel like actually getting better ( or use the Sixers....) you could bump up the user pass accuracy. That way you can get away with some silly passes but not all of them. Slightly lowering the on ball defense and defensive awareness also helps. But in general you have to pass the ball with guards and some sf's....otherwise that shit will get picked off.

I'm also hearing over on OS that the Simulation sliders are fucked. so that could be a big help to.

Still my sliders are at a point in which if I lose it's because I'm not playing team ball a.k.a Scoring 30 on 28 shots. Have at least 3 dudes playing well and you can win.

also for the last time.USE THE PASSING STICK. shit helps.

Chrange

Banned
mbmonk said:
Well I am glad it's working for you. There seems to be some more people having problems over at the Operations Sports forums.

I don't THINK it's a port issue because my PS3 is set as the DMZ. Oh well always tomorrow.
Doesn't matter with some routers. The Telus one I had prior to this Belkin was always Type 3 - even when set as DMZ. No problems after switching to a new router.

mbmonk

Chrange said:
Doesn't matter with some routers. The Telus one I had prior to this Belkin was always Type 3 - even when set as DMZ. No problems after switching to a new router.

Interesting. I haven't really heard about that before. My router has worked for every other game and worked well with 2k11 last night. Plus I am running DWRT on my router so the software side should be pretty good.

I will keep that in mind though. Thank you.

mbmonk said:
Interesting. I haven't really heard about that before. My router has worked for every other game and worked well with 2k11 last night. Plus I am running DWRT on my router so the software side should be pretty good.

I will keep that in mind though. Thank you.
its not you. both ps3 and 360 users are both having a hard time connecting to a game.
their new servers are getting its first real test. must be getting hit hard.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Truelize said:

Any passing tips?

My game just shipped yesterday so still waiting, but I didn't have much of a problem with passing in the Demo.. it is harder in the final version?

Blackace said:
My game just shipped yesterday so still waiting, but I didn't have much of a problem with passing in the Demo.. it is harder in the final version?

Honestly its not that bad. You just have to be patient instead of just pressing a button and expecting the pass to make it. Much more realistic IMO.

qcf x2

I don't think the passing is realistic at all. When a point guard can't deliver an accurate pass to a cutting (or wide open, post cut!) player, that is not realistic. I can't even execute plays because the PG acts like he is throwing a beach ball.

Maybe if it was me passing and not an NBA star...and yes, you should be able to throw a catchable lob on a break where the defender is nowhere near the offensive player. It's called a fast break, happens in every single NBA game. Plz teach me how to do this in 2k11, as even the PG can't evade Darrell Revis, err, random no defense having scrub.

Also noticed two glitches. One in-game (Association). Rudy Gay dunked, they didn't give him the basket and called it a turnover when the ball bounced OOB. I checked the replay, it was a successful, uncontested dunk. Didn't clang off rim or get touched.

The second glitch was me getting stuck as I was putting a draft prospect through a shooting drill. The buzzer sounded but the game just stayed there.

HMC

Another tip for passsing...when you see the only passing options are being hawked, take control of the pass receiver and get yourself into open space. Tap RB, press and hold the Icon, and you take control of that guy until you let the button go, which delivers the pass. Don't worry, the ball handler protects it pretty well for you.

Also, you can now player lock on the fly for your off-ball needs.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
qcf x2 said:
I don't think the passing is realistic at all. When a point guard can't deliver an accurate pass to a cutting (or wide open, post cut!) player, that is not realistic. I can't even execute plays because the PG acts like he is throwing a beach ball.

I ran mad fast breaks in the demo... o_O

outsida

The game would be pretty much perfect if not for the CPU playing the lanes like superman. I also don't really care for all of the contact whilst I'm trying to drive yet the comp can (when it needs a bucket) drive the lane and hit layups with my entire 5 with bench warmers.

outsida

Just to add I'm not blaming the game per se I just need to get better with Isomotion and break my bad habits from the last couple of 2K games.

bedlamite

Wow at the intro, and not in a good way...

I took a 3 year break from bball games so I'm completely unfamiliar with Isomotion, the opening is nice for nostalgia's sake and all, but talk about throwing you in the deep end.

mbmonk

HMC said:
Another tip for passsing...when you see the only passing options are being hawked, take control of the pass receiver and get yourself into open space. Tap RB, press and hold the Icon, and you take control of that guy until you let the button go, which delivers the pass. Don't worry, the ball handler protects it pretty well for you.

Also, you can now player lock on the fly for your off-ball needs.

Me likey. I forgot about that.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Replaying the '98 Finals and remembering how much it sucked to have Jordan totally own the Jazz. He's a bastard.

viakado said:
added:

PC League Interest List
name: Omiee
name: outsida
name: LovingSteam
name: The M.O.B

I'll bite, but I tend to do a lot of contract work in the evenings and am not sure what's involved schedule-wise with a league. If I can make that work, I'm all over it.

Is it just me or does someone shoot Iverson-esque statlines everygame. I just played the Rockets and Kevin Martin was 11-35 from the field. WTF? and it's weird because they was killing me with Yao and Brooks was getting his but still.

Someone said that some of the coaches run play bar in too low. I wonder if pumping this up for everyone will help.

This game is good but it has a lot of small problems like with it's CPU AI.

Anyone playing this via Steam, is your game time being listed on your profile under recent games played? Mine was the first game and now it won't show it at all.

bedlamite said:
Wow at the intro, and not in a good way...

I took a 3 year break from bball games so I'm completely unfamiliar with Isomotion, the opening is nice for nostalgia's sake and all, but talk about throwing you in the deep end.

Oddly that was the only game that I destroyed the cpu. Every other game has either been close or me getting stomped, on pro setting no less.

Top Bottom