• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

PotatoeMasher said:
I'll bite, but I tend to do a lot of contract work in the evenings and am not sure what's involved schedule-wise with a league. If I can make that work, I'm all over it.
added:

PC League Interest List
name: Omiee
name: outsida
name: LovingSteam
name: The M.O.B
name: PotatoeMasher

zero margin said:
Oddly that was the only game that I destroyed the cpu. Every other game has either been close or me getting stomped, on pro setting no less.

I got waxed, probably because I'm so used to 2k10. Need a weekend to get used to the new controls and the truly evil pass defense.

charsace

My player got selected round 1 pick 29 to orlando. Still getting the feel down in regards to breaking people down off the dribble.

Glass Joe

Sooo, consider me a basketball newbie here. But if you're playing the games, what is the appropriate quarter length to set? For some reason the default is 5 mins, which seems strange to me... it's like a baseball game setting it's default game to 4 innings or whatever. Does it take 12 minute quarters to generate realistic statistics? Am I misunderstanding something?

Smokey

charsace said:
My player got selected round 1 pick 29 to orlando. Still getting the feel down in regards to breaking people down off the dribble.

all that noise you were talkin...i see you haven't stepped up to the plate to challenge tha big dogs

DJ_Tet

Banned
Did my part to support the Bobcats, good to see so many in here supporting our owner :D

Might be in the mood for a league down the road if I'm really getting into the game but I've got too much going on right now. Will be following the leagues closely, x360 owner here.

charsace

PotatoeMasher said:
You can't possibly be any worse than Daniel Orton.
I'm a pg and Orton is on my summer league team.

Smokey said:
all that noise you were talkin...i see you haven't stepped up to the plate to challenge tha big dogs
I don't have gold yet man. I would whoop your ass though if that's what you're asking.

charsace said:
I'm a pg and Orton is on my summer league team.

I don't have gold yet man. I would whoop your ass though if that's what you're asking.

you would be lucky to see who got to 10 first.

Wang should have stole EA's netcode when he left.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Just some quick thoughts, probably nothing a lot of people haven't said before and better.

I hadn't been following the release of this game very closely since I don't really play videogame sports games anymore, but I think that just changed.

Things I like:

Attention to detail, I had read about all the outfit details and visuals but I didn't realize the commentary was going to include such depth. During the first game when Harlan started talking about the Piston sweep I was giddy. If only he had mentioned them walking out before the game was over like little brats :lol They started talking about details of the season and playoff run that I only can assume are correct, pretty cool!

Also with the commentary, at one point I could swear Harlan interrupted the other guy when an alley oop was thrown. The color guy (can't remember his name) might have just finished talking but it didn't seem like it. Seemed like Harlan got excited from a sweet alley oop that came out of nowhere, it was a cool commentary moment.

I also didn't know which classic teams would be included. I love the fact that every team that the 89-90 Bulls played in the playoffs is in the game, but selfishly I wish that had carried over to the later Bulls teams as well. As it is, you have an overmatched 1986 matchup (although with as good as Jordan is in the game likely your team is never really overmatched,) a whole bunch of teams to play against in 1990, and then just a sprinkle the rest of the way.

Heck, even Jordan's best matchup in the Finals by far isn't in the game, the 1993 Suns should definitely be there. And the later 3peat only has three teams total, the latter two being basically identical Utah rosters. It's kinda sad on that end, although I've been hoping for the inclusion of classic teams to this detail for quite some time. So I am happy we've gotten what we've gotten, but I hope they are building onto this in the future.

As an old Charlotte Hornet fan it's the only shot I've got at seeing my players in my classic jerseys. I saw on NBA Jam they have some classic players, Larry Johnson is in there. It would kill me if he's in a New Orleans Hornets jersey so I don't even dare check :lol

The Hornets never had a lot of success against the Bulls in the playoffs, but the year that Jordan came back and lost to Orlando they played a really tight 4 game series (first round was 5 games) against the Hornets. I think two of the first four games in the series went to OT. Would have been a fun team to see in the game, with a young Alonzo Mourning and a Larry Johnson at the peak of his powers (and way ahead of what people remember from his NY days, people forget that LJ was a very good player his first few years before messing up his back.)

tldr: Game is awesome and I want moar.

Can we get dlc consisting of moar classic teams? Am I dreaming?

2k will play to Lakers/Celtics nation next. 2k's first ever dual cover with Magic/Bird opposite with their own legend modes and more classic teams.

I'm wondering how much more that 2k can even fit in the game anymore though. With EA being out of the picture I just don't know how motivated they'll be. I mean they probably can't even fit any more actions on the controller anymore. Short of a fighting game I don't know if any game compares to 2k11 on the sticks.

At this point I'd be happy if 2k12 focused only on netcode and transferring the current mechanics over to a new engine.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DJ_Tet said:
Can we get dlc consisting of moar classic teams? Am I dreaming?
I'm sure they can do it, but the main issues with getting a true complete team pack DLC would be getting all the older players licensed (I'm sure some of them may demand higher fees, which is what I'm guessing happened with Barkley and why the Suns aren't in), and the difficulty getting more commentary and voice recording done since the NBA season is almost here and the commentators are going to be busy.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I can buy the premise of recreating Jordan's career, and as such he missed out on both Magic and Larry's prime. I imagine the Magic in the game isn't what Magic would be in 1987, but Bird should be accurately represented.

The crime isn't that there's no Kareem, but that there's no Barkley. I'm happy that there is Dominique, happy there is Drexler, but there is no Hakeem, no Barkley, no young Shaq, no Zo/Tim Hardaway (those Miami teams were pretty good at the end of Jordan's career.) What about Reggie Miller?

And actually I assumed because of the 1989-90 ATL Hawks inclusion that the Bulls had played them in the playoffs, but actually they swept a NYK team featuring Patrick Ewing.

What's there is great, but I am already wanting more.

Ironic that Jordan's game is responsible for giving us some classic 1990's teams when for most of the 90's he was conspicuously absent from videogame basketball.

XiaNaphryz said:
I'm sure they can do it, but the main issues with getting a true complete team pack DLC would be getting all the older players licensed (I'm sure some of them may demand higher fees, which is what I'm guessing happened with Barkley and why the Suns aren't in), and the difficulty getting more commentary and voice recording done since the NBA season is almost here and the commentators are going to be busy.

Good point about the commentary. It wouldn't be the same :(

I definitely think that's what happened with Barkley and the Suns. Either on this gaf or a previous version I had a post talking about how videogames should be a good revenue stream for retired athletes and there should be a retired athlete union to help get both sides working together. I guess the problem is finding a way to get both Barkley some money but also lesser players, there's only so much to go around.

I know Madden has 'classic teams' but I'm talking about the way 2k does them, I want legit unis. Legit players, legit rankings, the works. Once Madden lets me take Unitas against Sayers then we'll talk.

Dark FaZe said:
2k will play to Lakers/Celtics nation next. 2k's first ever dual cover with Magic/Bird opposite with their own legend modes and more classic teams.

I really hope you're right. A Celts/Lakers game with multiple versions of those teams as well as a fully fleshed out 1980's playoff roster would be a personal dream come true. Even if it meant I still didn't get a Charlotte Hornet team I'd take one for the team to see the best era in NBA history meticulously recreated with highlights, stats, commentary, and looks. Hell, throw in Pat O'Brien, I'm sure he could use some cash. Take it all the way back :D

benjipwns

Banned
For reference, this shot does a pretty good job at showing the online/offline PC difference:
varejao-vergleichkr8f.jpg

That's assuming your online game lasts longer than a few minutes anyway.

On another note, figuring out the icon lead passing (I assume, whatever it is that uses the stick) has been a revelation for me.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Suns aren't in the game because Sir Charles still wont let the NBA use his likeness for anything. He owns the rights to his name (like MJ does) and hasn't given in.

So blame Charles.

I'm sure I will get a hand of the passing eventually. It's just frustrating trying to play a sim game in association and struggling because I can't even get an entry pass into the post. Yeah I know that a lot of them could be better passes, but most of the time if the pass would just be a bounce pass like its' supposed to be there wouldn't be a problem.

I always find that getting good sliders is the hardest part of these games. I'm not trying to figure out the rebounding sliders. I thought I had them set at a really good spot and then I played against the Blazers and got destroyed on the boards. 38 to 17. D-stroyed. Now I know they are a good rebounding team when Oden is on the floor, but I'm using the Bucks and Bogut is rated 99 in rebounding so he does pretty good. But he couldn't get a thing. Their PF was freakin owning the glass. It was frustrating.

And I don't have a clue how to make post moves yet. Zero clue.

outsida

Oh wow.... Thats horrible :lol :lol :lol I thought all you had to make sure to run the benchmark and that solved the problem... I haven't played online but a couple people on the 2K forums are saying they don't have bad graphics like that online.

benjipwns

Banned
outsida said:
Oh wow.... Thats horrible :lol :lol :lol I thought all you had to make sure to run the benchmark and that solved the problem... I haven't played online but a couple people on the 2K forums are saying they don't have bad graphics like that online.
I did two games earlier with friends, we all had run the benchmark, maxed out and everything fine offline. It appeared like that for us as we got into the online game.

And then the connection got dropped two or three minutes in.

At least, in one game, Oden got a rebound and tried to hand it to Andre Miller who had his back turned, the ball hit him in the ass and flew into the crowd. That made it all worth it. We watched that replay three or four times.

Side note:
LovingSteam said:
Anyone playing this via Steam, is your game time being listed on your profile under recent games played? Mine was the first game and now it won't show it at all.
Game is not even showing up on my community page at all. On the overlay it has the time right though.

mbmonk

Truelize said:

There is an option under Practice that is post moves only. It will walk you through each move. Worth checking out.

Assemble!

Really impressed with this game. I was one of the guys who ditched 2k10 and went with Live, but this game is on a new planet.

The Jordan challenge mode opens up a lot of avenues for the future. Bird/Magic would be awesome... but I think a challenge mode based on some of the more legendary performances in NBA history would be cool

Kobe's 81
Kobe's 45 (with 12 3-pointers)
Wilt's 100
Skiles 30 assists
Lebron's 50, 10, and 8 at the Garden
Magic 25 and 9 at the 1992 All Star Game (his comeback)

The list goes on and on. Ten or so of those would be awesome.

Amory

Assemble! said:
Really impressed with this game. I was one of the guys who ditched 2k10 and went with Live, but this game is on a new planet.

The Jordan challenge mode opens up a lot of avenues for the future. Bird/Magic would be awesome... but I think a challenge mode based on some of the more legendary performances in NBA history would be cool

Kobe's 81
Kobe's 45 (with 12 3-pointers)
Wilt's 100
Skiles 30 assists
Lebron's 50, 10, and 8 at the Garden
Magic 25 and 9 at the 1992 All Star Game (his comeback)

The list goes on and on. Ten or so of those would be awesome.
Yeah, awesome idea. I'd pay for DLC packs with separate achievements if they decided to start on other players.

Smokey

Truelize said:
Suns aren't in the game because Sir Charles still wont let the NBA use his likeness for anything. He owns the rights to his name (like MJ does) and hasn't given in.

So blame Charles.

I'm sure I will get a hand of the passing eventually. It's just frustrating trying to play a sim game in association and struggling because I can't even get an entry pass into the post. Yeah I know that a lot of them could be better passes, but most of the time if the pass would just be a bounce pass like its' supposed to be there wouldn't be a problem.

I always find that getting good sliders is the hardest part of these games. I'm not trying to figure out the rebounding sliders. I thought I had them set at a really good spot and then I played against the Blazers and got destroyed on the boards. 38 to 17. D-stroyed. Now I know they are a good rebounding team when Oden is on the floor, but I'm using the Bucks and Bogut is rated 99 in rebounding so he does pretty good. But he couldn't get a thing. Their PF was freakin owning the glass. It was frustrating.

Practice mode is your friend. You have to be more patient with passes this year. We're still going off of muscle memory on how to play 2k, and you cannot play it as you could previous titles. If you just fling the ball all over the court or make poor outlet passes it WILL get tipped/picked off. I'm still adjusting to it.

Red Blaster said:
Protip for My Player: Always choose the athletic option. The physical attributes are the most expensive to upgrade.

Yeah, this.

Anyone who's got this on 360 down for some team up tonight? Heat-Lakers!? :D

I´m glad people are enjoying the classic teams.

I´ve dreamed about a historic franchise mode for years, and this a step foward.

I would love to start in 1984 or so and play my way through current era, using real players, real teams, relive and rewrite history with my Sonics.

If this Jordan Mode is really well received, then i´m sure they will try to do this.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I can't get over how good this game is :D

Going to fire up the classic stuff for the first time this weekend.

parasight

Got some Team Up going last night with some friends. It was smooth once the laggers got booted or quit. Free Throw lag is horrendous though.

jergrah

Quick Question -- How do you setup a private/friend game? Im sure its simple, but I simply couldnt find it last night. Is the only option to each go into a lobby and then invite?

Looking online, but i need help. How do I use L1 and R1 on offense for PnR. It looks like they are making the roll and pop functions manual this year. How do I do it?

Also, why is there no post play in this game?

I too am an old Charlotte Hornets fan and would pay $10 for DLC in the form of Muggsy Bogues, Dell Curry, Scott Burrell, LJ and Zo. :D

I know, its nice to want things.....

jordan0386 said:
Looking online, but i need help. How do I use L1 and R1 on offense for PnR. It looks like they are making the roll and pop functions manual this year. How do I do it?

Also, why is there no post play in this game?

Straight from the online manual

Pick Control: Hold and Release L1 button to call for a pick and roll(press L1 again to have screener slip); Hold L1 button til the screener get set to pick and pop

mbmonk

gluv65 said:
Straight from the online manual

Pick Control: Hold and Release L1 button to call for a pick and roll(press L1 again to have screener slip); Hold L1 button til the screener get set to pick and pop

Very cool.

Amory Blaine said:
Yeah, awesome idea. I'd pay for DLC packs with separate achievements if they decided to start on other players.

Save it for next year please so we can have a mega one with depth (more stat boosting accessories for My Player can be earned). Like 30 challenges.

Some great Lay up shots contextual and varied depended upon the player. They are listed in the manual you figure it out in practice.

You have to be driving across the lane, between the charge/block box and the dotted line by the free throw area.

Driving left or right while holding L2 or LT

Push the RS in the opposite direction you're moving = spin lay up, think Rondo or Drajic

Push the RS away from the basket = Fade lay up

Push the RS towards the basket = Inside/Dummy hand shot

Push the RS in the same direction you're moving = Running hook shot

3 different Contact points by CPU defender

1. BLOW-BY CONTACT - It may fell at first as if the defender's riding your hip adn will stop you, but just keep the stick in the direction you pushed it, or towards the basket, and you can get by him pretty easily, depended upon the defenders ratings.

2. HIP-RIDE CONTACT - The defender won't stop you completely unless you let go of the stick, but you have a limited amount of time to "SPIN" out of it towards the basket. With better defenders can stay in front of you much better out of the spin, you can also counter with behind the back dribbles ect....

3. BRICK-WALL CONTACT- Your forward momentum is halted, the smart thing to do is pass out of it. If you up against the shot clock perform a step through shot. To do a step through shot Hold the L2 or LT and flick the shot stick in any direction to pump fake, before the pump fake ends push the RS in any direction. The shots are contextual based on where you facing and how far away from the basket you are.

Top Bottom