• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Was this ever posted?

OperationSports Strategy Session Volume 2: Understanding Movement

Touches upon the need to use isomotion for spacing and how to attack the defense when playing on Sim.

AgLMl.png

mbmonk

gluv65 said:
3 different Contact points by CPU defender

1. BLOW-BY CONTACT - It may fell at first as if the defender's riding your hip adn will stop you, but just keep the stick in the direction you pushed it, or towards the basket, and you can get by him pretty easily, depended upon the defenders ratings.

2. HIP-RIDE CONTACT - The defender won't stop you completely unless you let go of the stick, but you have a limited amount of time to "SPIN" out of it towards the basket. With better defenders can stay in front of you much better out of the spin, you can also counter with behind the back dribbles ect....

3. BRICK-WALL CONTACT- Your forward momentum is halted, the smart thing to do is pass out of it. If you up against the shot clock perform a step through shot. To do a step through shot Hold the L2 or LT and flick the shot stick in any direction to pump fake, before the pump fake ends push the RS in any direction. The shots are contextual based on where you facing and how far away from the basket you are.

Where did you pick up this information? Was it a developer insight? I can't find it in the manual. Regardless thanks for mentioning this.

charsace

Whoever has the quickest player in the league is going to hard to guard in iso situations. It should be John Wall, but I doubt that it is.

XiaNaphryz

mbmonk said:
Where did you pick up this information? Was it a developer insight? I can't find it in the manual. Regardless thanks for mentioning this.
The vid I just posted sort of conveys some of this, but not to the same level of detail.

liger05

Just started the game. Played the Lakers from the 1st game of the series in 91. I got beat by 20 points.

Just been looking at the settings and just wondering what should I have the game.

Should I have shots determined by shot stick or player%?

XiaNaphryz

liger05 said:
Just started the game. Played the Lakers from the 1st game of the series in 91. I got beat by 20 points.

Just been looking at the settings and just wondering what should I have the game.

The dev explanation:

JSapida said:
Hopefully this clears everything up:

Shot Stick Timing
With this option turned ON, as the name implies, your timing release will be factored in to your shot %. It's layered on top of the player's Shot Rating, type of shot taken (jumper, drifter, leaner, etc), defense impact, etc. Being really late or really early on your release will have negative impact, and being perfect on your release will give you an added boost in making the shot.

Real Player %
When you turn this ON, it's basically ignoring your release on the Shotstick completely. You won't get penalized for early or late releases. The same factors come into play as mentioned above, sans the stick release bonus/penalty. Pretty much how Real FT % works. We simply migrated the feature over to all the shots as well.

How are you guys doing in My Player? I can't for the life of me do anything reliably besides set screens, all my wide open shots rim out even with the shot indicator saying I've got a perfect release. Also fuck the draft combine, my player's rating is 50 and I'm supposed to check guys in the 70s?

DJ_Tet

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
There's always this (though later than what you want, though it'd be easier to make trades and rebuild that Hornets team with this):

That is amazing. Not my favorite Hornets home court but how can someone be picky about the amazing level of detail that went into that.

Does the steam version of NBA 2k10 support that mod? I might pick that version up if/when it goes on sale. Now I'm second-guessing my decision to go with 360 for 2k11. I might have to pick that up on PC too if it gets a similar mod.

mbmonk said:

Like I said in an earlier post, I just been practicing learning the ins and outs. 12 hours of practice conducting all kinds of test.

Nabs

playing online is still a mess on pc. the graphics drop to low, my fps dropped to 15, and my 360 buttons went away. i hope there's a simple fix in the works. having to wait for a major patch would suck.

Takuan

liger05 said:

I just used Jordan to shoot over everyone, he simply can't miss. I think the only guy who missed was Pippen, 'cause I was taking really stupid shots. Wound up beating the CPU by 20+.

LukeSmith

seattle6418 said:
I would love to start in 1984 or so and play my way through current era, using real players, real teams, relive and rewrite history with my Sonics.

If this Jordan Mode is really well received, then i´m sure they will try to do this.

This is my dream hoops game.
Start in 1978-79-present
Options for fixed rosters (true to life drafts, retirements, et cetera with per event overrides for maximum user control i.e. [I don't want Jordan to retire so I can deny Hakeem's two fake championships [those don't count Houston fans, btw]])
or What If mode (let Jordan go to the Blazers, what if Cwebb and Penny didn't swap, what if the Pistons drafted 'Melo, et cetera).

That's the NBA game I want to play, the one with all of the rosters from my youth, back when the NBA was at its peak for me. The game should be called NBA: The League or something

Lkr

does the PC version automatically map the 360 controller and use the same controls as the 360 version this year?

EagleEyes

Anybody been playing the My Player mode? I can't for the life of me find the options to turn the auto playcalling and playart on. It was in last years My Player.

pilonv1

LukeSmith said:
What If mode (let Jordan go to the Blazers, what if Cwebb and Penny didn't swap, what if the Pistons drafted 'Melo, et cetera).

What if Webber wasn't traded and Hardaway didn't blow out his knee in 94 :(

Are these online/offline differences in graphics only for PC?

DCX

DCX
LukeSmith said:
This is my dream hoops game.
Start in 1978-79-present
Options for fixed rosters (true to life drafts, retirements, et cetera with per event overrides for maximum user control i.e. [I don't want Jordan to retire so I can deny Hakeem's two fake championships [those don't count Houston fans, btw]])
or What If mode (let Jordan go to the Blazers, what if Cwebb and Penny didn't swap, what if the Pistons drafted 'Melo, et cetera).

That's the NBA game I want to play, the one with all of the rosters from my youth, back when the NBA was at its peak for me. The game should be called NBA: The League or something
Yeah, how many chips have the Knicks won with Jordan feuding with Drexler in the west..

DCX

benjipwns

Banned
You overwrite and edit those files. The IFF files are the textures and such. I'm assuming it's mostly the same as 2K10 as people are porting stuff over already.
For Players

png####.iff = A Player's CF & Tattoos

For Teams
s###.iff = A Team's Stadium
f###.iff = A Team's Floor/Court

uh###.iff = Home Uniforms
ua###.iff = Away Uniforms
ux###.iff = Alternate Away Uniform
uxh###.iff = Alternate Home Uniform
r1a###.iff = Retro Away Uniform #1
r2a###.iff = Retro Away Uniform #2
r1h###.iff = Retro Home Uniform #1
3D editing guide for 2K10 (doesn't work with 2K11 yet): http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=72921
IFF Tools:
http://nba-2k.com/iff-editor/
http://www.moddingway.com/news/486.html

Released mods usually show up here: http://forums.nba-live.com/viewforum.php?f=136

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
charsace said:
Whoever has the quickest player in the league is going to hard to guard in iso situations. It should be John Wall, but I doubt that it is.

3-15 John Wall? Pfft..

charsace

Blackace said:
3-15 John Wall? Pfft..
I don't know if you have 2k11 yet, but they removed the defensive speed up. You can mix dudes like you do in real life man. If Wall is the fastest player in the game like he is in real life a good player can do some crazy things with him. Roasting bitches all day.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
charsace said:
I don't know if you have 2k11 yet, but they removed the defensive speed up. You can mix dudes like you do in real life man. If Wall is the fastest player in the game like he is in real life a good player can do some crazy things with him. Roasting bitches all day.

The thing I was getting at is he isn't the fastest player in the game with or without the ball in his hands...

End to end without the rock it has to be Nate Robinson..

And Aaron Brooks looks real good with the rock.

Evans not blazing fast seems to be one of the quickest in half court sets..

And Rose might be faster than Wall..
I know he is a beast but from what I have seen he is far from the fastest player in the NBA

mik

mik is unbeatable
In grand NBA 2K tradition, I am still befuddled by the menu system. Where on earth do I find the option to turn on 3D?

Edit: nm—just found out it's coming via patch later is year. Bleh.

Nightz

Just had a moment during a Jordan challenge where Bill Wennington was standing on the court (with my 5 starters) for no reason. It was like Bynum in Elite. :lol

i've created a gaf crew team.
name is GAF Barons
if you want to play along side your fellow gaffers, either look for GAF Barons,
or post your PSN here and i'll send invites.
pm or aim will suffice was well.
aim: viakado

i'll create a crew section in the OP for both xbox and ps3 users.

viakado said:
i've created a gaf crew team.
name is GAF Barons
if you want to play along side your fellow gaffers, either look for GAF Barons,
or post your PSN here and i'll send invites.
pm or aim will suffice was well.
aim: viakado

i'll create a crew section in the OP for both xbox and ps3 users.
You're on ps3 now you cocksucker?

SlickVic

Man, I really wish I listened to reviews that said how terrible My Player mode is. My dude can't make wide open shots/layups and basically sucks at everything outside passing (this is after doing as many drills as I could to get skill points). Doesn't help the rest of my summer league team is the same and it really makes me question how any of them got drafted. It's a shame because this mode sounds awesome on paper (develop the next NBA star, hell yeah) but the amount of time 2K expects you put in to make your dude even half decent, it just feels like a time waster.

pilonv1

viakado said:
because playing 2k is much better on a ps3 controller.
mrbob has shown me the light!

kado took his talents to PS3 since that's his best chance of winning - avoiding real competition

Blackace said:
The thing I was getting at is he isn't the fastest player in the game with or without the ball in his hands...

End to end without the rock it has to be Nate Robinson..

And Aaron Brooks looks real good with the rock.

Evans not blazing fast seems to be one of the quickest in half court sets..

And Rose might be faster than Wall..
I know he is a beast but from what I have seen he is far from the fastest player in the NBA

Wall is probably the fastest player in the league with the ball. He may come close to averaging 10apg in his rookie season even in a situation that seems built to prevent it. As far as how good he is in 2k11 you can ask Smokey what he is capable of there...

:)

SlickVic said:
Man, I really wish I listened to reviews that said how terrible My Player mode is. My dude can't make wide open shots/layups and basically sucks at everything outside passing (this is after doing as many drills as I could to get skill points). Doesn't help the rest of my summer league team is the same and it really makes me question how any of them got drafted. It's a shame because this mode sounds awesome on paper (develop the next NBA star, hell yeah) but the amount of time 2K expects you put in to make your dude even half decent, it just feels like a time waster.

Always choose the athletic option when starting out, physical attributes are expensive. Also focus on one drill you're good at and just farm points and can also build-up a specific skill, provided you can reliably get gold. I've got my 6'8 SG in the high 60s with his jumper attributes, he's money from mid-range in the shooting drill, I can always get 2000+ in that one. Beef up handles, defensive/offensive awareness too.

Combine + Summer League are really tough, but it gets easier once you land on an NBA roster. I was terrible in the combine but I'm averaging 12 points a game and have hit 6th man status on the Nets.

SlickVic

Red Blaster said:
Always choose the athletic option when starting out, physical attributes are expensive. Also focus on one drill you're good at and just farm points and can also build-up a specific skill, provided you can reliably get gold. I've got my 6'8 SG in the high 60s with his jumper attributes, he's money from mid-range in the shooting drill, I can always get 2000+ in that one. Beef up handles, defensive/offensive awareness too.

Combine + Summer League are really tough, but it gets easier once you land on an NBA roster. I was terrible in the combine but I'm averaging 12 points a game and have hit 6th man status on the Nets.

Yeah, I wound up bombing the Summer League and ended up in the D League. Thanks for the tips, I'll try those next time I play.

Nightz

Anyone unlock the MJ: Creating a Legend mode yet? Any impressions? I'm so addicted to doing the Jordan challenges. I've got 6 done so far, knocked the harder ones out first. I think I'm almost there, but these challenges take a lot of time.

EekTheKat

Played my first game on All Star vs the CPU, barely beat the Lakers with the Celtics 51-48 (5 minute quarters, default sliders). Ray Allen iced it at the line.

32 PIP as a team, 2/9 - mostly attempts with Allen. Player of the game honors as well. I pretty much ran him off screens to get him open, although the CPU surprisingly enough did adjust to it in the 3rd by cutting off the pass to him.

Paul Pierce is interesting in this game, he has like 3 different release animations for his jumper. It's actually easier to shoot a contested jumper at the free throw line with Pierce than it is with him wide open due to his contested jumper having a easier release point.

It definitely felt like I had to work for it this year. My mistakes were brutally punished.

Garnett was the only one on my team that finished with a good shooting night, 5/7

Need to work on paint defense though, have a feeling my friend who dropped 55 on the Lakers with Jordan day 1

From what I understand though, defense this year is a lot more about spacing and being able to cut off the ball carrier with the right analog stick, and pretty much playing the passing lanes. Mashing L2 this year is supposed to be bad I think, least against guards and slashers/dribblers.

My own defense seems to still have lapses in the paint though.

forgot - I unlocked a Jordan shoe for my efforts :lol

liger05

Lost my 1st game on pro difficulty v the rockets. Brooke and Davies killed me. I was within like 4 points until the 4th quarter and they pulled away. The game is incredible. The little things I am seeing the AI do is just dope. I need to work on defense as I really struggle at times.

charsace

SlickVic said:
My player is the same as last year. I am starting for the magic after like 17 games. Just do the shooting drill and level the ball handling and midrange shot first if you are a guard then get the on ball defense up to 70. Being an athletic guard and unlocking the +4 quickness sneakers really helps.

benjipwns

Banned
My Player is completely exploitable too. Last year I had an athletic-base SF, who by my first NBA game was like 51 rated and I still put up a 26/18/15 A+ just because of the way the game is and not doing stupid stuff. I got starting spots with almost all of my players I did last year (except the one who got stuck behind Tim Duncan, play him at Center dammit!) pretty quickly because you can play waaaay above your rating should probably let you.

Last night I got 14/25 from a 44 rated center in the summer league after 9/19 in the first game. Just position yourself properly and you can do lots of things to rack up stats.

I think a lot of people approach it from "I'm the next Jordan and I will be Jordan from the start" when it's more realistic to look at it as if it was Kobe's early career compressed where he worked his way up even if he had all the raw talent to start.

Not that they couldn't design something where you could be a LeBron or whatever, but also be an Eric Montross trying to become Kareem. They went with a leveling up type mode, if you started off amazing, where would you go from there in the mode? Especially with the exploitable flaws still in it. People would just do nothing but chase Wilt's record probably. I mean how many hacked 99 rated people are getting banned already? I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to do that, but it's not the way the mode is designed. It'd be great if they did it another way, but this is VC.

Re-reading this before I post I sound defensive. :lol It's just My Player was what I needed to get back into basketball games last year, the Franchise/Dynasty/Associations were diminishing returns for me after a decade of them. And doing multiple players, all different styles and positions, despite all the flaws last year created my near 200 hours on it.

TL;DR version: It's rough to start but you quickly not only add more skill but figure things out and can very quickly be not just a starter but a star player. I had a PG last year who couldn't shoot very well, but did everything else well enough it somehow convinced the AI to trade all the other Pacer PGs and give me the starting spot. (To the point Brandon Rush was my backup.)

Also looking at the new bar they've given us, assists are worth a ton of teammate points. Oh, and summer league guys aren't necessarily draftees, anyone who's been created tends to turn up on your D-League teams if you go that route.

Maybe you guys can help me with something, I had this problem come up last year as well, but often times I will have my PF grab an off. rebound and instead of laying it up facing the basket or jamming it, they instead do this reverse lay-up looking shot that looks totally out of place and of course always misses. Am I not using the stick right? I push up and sometimes hold turbo but more often than not they will attempt this ridiculous shot.

Top Bottom