• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

benjipwns

Banned
I like the improvements to MyPlayer I've seen thus far, though I'm just in Summer League. I'm hoping it is more reasonable in the minutes though I doubt it will be. Based on the reviews I guess I'm the only one who wouldn't mind having to deal with getting minutes yanked around until I "earn" my place. If anything I could pretend Doug Collins is the coach.

The full arena of crowd cheers during free throws in the draft combine despite nobody being in the gym is a bit unnerving though.

The first person walking to the bench is just :lol

smik

Red Blaster said:
How do you draw fouls reliably? I'm starting to get cheesed because the CPU always has way more FT attempts than me.

the double cross over is your best friend preferable someone with great ball handling skills (hold LT then switch to off hand and back)
if you happen to get the defensive player on the back foot it can really open up the lane for you, then...

drive that motherfucker to the whole!

try and go into the body's for a strong layup or dunk

XiaNaphryz said:
You should probably enable traveling so the refs can actually call it. ;P
...Enable traveling? Tell me where the option to enable/disable it is in 2K11 and I'll do so.

NBA 2K glitch videos = trolling while NBA Elite glitch videos = sufficient evidence to condemn the entire product. Speaks for itself. Not that I even know why people keep bringing up Elite in the 2K11 thread - why not keep it in here? The game's not even coming out - get over it.

Anyone else have trouble passing? If I dont use RB to bring up icon based passing, 9/10 it gets picked. I mean, I understand the concepts of passing, Im not trying to throw tricky passes or through defenders, but some of these passes that are getting picked are a little silly. I dont mind a Chris Paul or Gary Payton making a play, but the way the defenders, without looking, accelerate and steal the ball is similar of the linebackers making interceptions in Madden.

Oh, I love this game and look forward to understanding it even more! :D

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
-I hate canned layup/dunk animations cause they go right through the defender
-"realistic" settings = epic 4th quarter comeback by the CPU
-hitting mid-range jumpers > going to the rack
-CPU cheeses the same play over and over

Vyer

Just picked it up last night. Loved that intro; a really nice touch. Enjoyed playing and winning that finals game. Been so long since Ive played Jordan in a video game.

I need to learn the changes they've made to playcalling. Got my ass kicked in my first quick game. But so far so good. Great to see 2K staying on top and putting the effort in.

depward

Goddamn man, places were sold out of this in Portland, OR last night :lol I guess many Portland-area residents want to pick it up to actually see Oden play during the season.

TheApatheticOne said:
Anyone else have trouble passing? If I dont use RB to bring up icon based passing, 9/10 it gets picked. I mean, I understand the concepts of passing, Im not trying to throw tricky passes or through defenders, but some of these passes that are getting picked are a little silly. I dont mind a Chris Paul or Gary Payton making a play, but the way the defenders, without looking, accelerate and steal the ball is similar of the linebackers making interceptions in Madden.
When I leave the left stick neutral and press pass, it never seems to go the nearest player as I would expect. Most of the time it seems to be a lead pass to a guy that's running toward a defender, which rarely works out. I think I'll have to start committing the icon passing to memory.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
TheApatheticOne said:

Oh, I love this game and look forward to understanding it even more! :D
eh... two comments on this..

1) passing is FREAKING BRUTAL. as a newcomer to basketball in general, yeah... if you are passing the ball around without a clear plan, you are screwed. if you ARE passing the ball around with a clear plan, you better be sure there's an open lane.
2) IMHO at least, last night there were very few times where I felt I got screwed cheaply on a pass. Almost every one I felt right after the pass "ahh crap.. I shouldn't have let that one go" and sure enough, it gets picked up.

going to take some time to get the hang of playcalling and really looking for open targets to get passing down in this..

BigKaboom2 said:
When I leave the left stick neutral and press pass, it never seems to go the nearest player as I would expect. Most of the time it seems to be a lead pass to a guy that's running toward a defender, which rarely works out. I think I'll have to start committing the icon passing to memory.
pretty sure even leaving the left stick neutral it highlights the "automatic" target. you should pretty much always know who you are passing to. Biggest gripe for me is when the "automatic" target is off screen, but at this point I won't blame that on the game so much as still just getting the hang of basic play calling concepts. i.e. should I REALLY be passing here, or should I be driving closer to the basket.

depward said:
Goddamn man, places were sold out of this in Portland, OR last night :lol I guess many Portland-area residents want to pick it up to actually see Oden play during the season.

Not surprising, Portland is full of Blazer nuts. Oden is pretty good in this too, though his overall rating has dropped by 5 (80 to 75) since 2K10. Hopefully he can actually stay on the court and play well this year and bring that back up.

Smokey

Passing will definitely take some time getting used to since you can't just fling it all over the place like previous 2k's. I've been icon passing for so long though, that it's second nature to me and my default way of passing the ball.

Kai

Did anyone figure out how to bring historical teams into the Association mode? They said this was possible but I can't choose them?

charsace

They had 91 copies of this game at the gamestop I go to and a lot of them were preordered. EA chose the wrong time to screw up live. Could have gotten away with it last year, but not this year.

ecnal

BigKaboom2 said:

:lol

you're pathetic mr. "i've bought 2K every year since 2K5."

passes go where the passer is facing if you don't icon pass. it's been that way since 2K1 brah.

the little white circle that occasionally shows up underneath other offensive players when you're facing in their direction? ya, that lets you know who you're facing so when you pass to them it's no surprise.

try agian.

If any PS3 users here, please do me a favor, I want too see if its my PS3 or the game.

Save a replay and opt to save it to the HDD after saving back out of the game

Now go to features and select Reel Maker, once you select reel maker select new and then follow the prompts to load your saved replay.

Once its loaded and go the loading screen, Mine is locking up my PS3 OG 60gb and I have to shut it down each and every time.

reaver18

charsace said:
They had 91 copies of this game at the gamestop I go to and a lot of them were preordered. EA chose the wrong time to screw up live. Could have gotten away with it last year, but not this year.
Its sad because live was actually pretty good last year too if they would have just built on it instead of scrapping the game altogether...

JBuccCP

I will never ever get used to not having a post up button. Somehow the CPU got mixed up and I had Bynum all alone on Nate Robinson about 6 feet from the basket. So I'm thinking "lol I'm going to crush this midget fucker". Nope. I press towards the basket in an attempt to a back down, end up doing like two crossovers and getting stripped.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Question for PS3 users:

Is this game in 3D? If so, how is it?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
JBuccCP said:
I will never ever get used to not having a post up button. Somehow the CPU got mixed up and I had Bynum all alone on Nate Robinson about 6 feet from the basket. So I'm thinking "lol I'm going to crush this midget fucker". Nope. I press towards the basket in an attempt to a back down, end up doing like two crossovers and getting stripped.

Left trigger.

Smokey

JBuccCP said:

Like True said, use left trigger and move the left stick towards the direction of the defender to back him down.

Another thing: if you catch the ball in the post and your post player isn't in the back down position (he's facing up or something like that), press and release LT+RT. This is called "protecting the dribble", which is a different way of saying post mode.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
The only thing I have noticed that I don't like is that when playing online against someone it isn't showing me the NBA players name below the ball handler, it is showing me the gamertag of the person controlling the ball handler.

Is there a way to change this in some menu? I don't care about the gamertag, I need to what player has the ball so I can decide how much defensive pressure I need to put on.

Smokey

Truelize said:
The only thing I have noticed that I don't like is that when playing online against someone it isn't showing me the NBA players name below the ball handler, it is showing me the gamertag of the person controlling the ball handler.

Is there a way to change this in some menu? I don't care about the gamertag, I need to what player has the ball so I can decide how much defensive pressure I need to put on.

Heh I didn't even think of that. Could be an issue for newer players or those who aren't as familiar with the NBA.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Smokey said:
Heh I didn't even think of that. Could be an issue for newer players or those who aren't as familiar with the NBA.

Well Brandon Bass, Rashard Lewis and Dwight Howard look surprising similar at a glance.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
amstradcpc said:
IIRC it will be patched in the future to be displayed in 3d...

Thanks. Maybe I'll wait until then to pick it up (and so they can put out a roster update that properly simulates Jerebko's torn achilles *sigh*).

gluv65 said:
If any PS3 users here, please do me a favor, I want too see if its my PS3 or the game.

Save a replay and opt to save it to the HDD after saving back out of the game

Now go to features and select Reel Maker, once you select reel maker select new and then follow the prompts to load your saved replay.

Once its loaded and go the loading screen, Mine is locking up my PS3 OG 60gb and I have to shut it down each and every time.

ANYBODY!???!!!

Kai

I hate to keep asking this but anyone that knows how to put the historical teams in association mode please tell me how.

This was said that you could...

Chrange said:
I find it amazing you picked up the game just to try and make everyone else realize how bad it is. Dedicated to the end.
Yup, that's the sole reason why I picked it up - totally worth 30 bucks.

Truelize said:
Left trigger.
No, LT+RT. But you have to let go of them before you shoot or else you'll just do various fakes.

I'm liking the Simulation game style on All Star difficulty. Fairly decent number of fouls, not as many ridiculous interceptions, and not every shot in the paint results in a collision like H.O.F.

Also I can't hit a jumper to save my life on H.O.F. since the timing is so strict and the release points seem kind of early to me for a majority of players.

JBuccCP

Smokey said:
Like True said, use left trigger and move the left stick towards the direction of the defender to back him down.

Another thing: if you catch the ball in the post and your post player isn't in the back down position (he's facing up or something like that), press and release LT+RT. This is called "protecting the dribble", which is a different way of saying post mode.
Thanks. I probably should go into the practice thingy.

Smokey

Truelize said:
Well Brandon Bass, Rashard Lewis and Dwight Howard look surprising similar at a glance.

thatsracist.gif

JBuccCP said:
Thanks. I probably should go into the practice thingy.

I would suggest doing so. Practice mode walks you how to do every ISO dribble move and every post move.

Wickerman

Heads up for everyone that pre-ordered from Amazon.

I just got a $5 refund after sending Amazon an email about their "Pre-Order Guarantee" price reduction.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Kai said:
I hate to keep asking this but anyone that knows how to put the historical teams in association mode please tell me how.

This was said that you could...
You have to turn on the option to customize league at the Association set up screen.

demolitio

I've convinced myself I have to buy this since I can fill the jersey number 23 on the Cavs. And then my custom player can play at Center since we lost both Ilgauskas and Shaq.

I'm keeping the Cavs rating a surprise until I get the game and see since I'm expecting something quite hideous. Oh how quickly you can go from best record in the league to "Cleveland still has a basketball team?". I'm not bitter at all. It's ok though, LeBron convinced me that it's all racism. :lol

Hopefully I don't lose my save for my player's career this year. I somehow lost everything after putting a lot of time into it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Kai said:
I did that - but it then what? It just lets me select teams....
Pick a current team.
Cycle through until you hit the classic team you want to replace them with.
Profit?

Wickerman said:
Heads up for everyone that pre-ordered from Amazon.

I just got a $5 refund after sending Amazon an email about their "Pre-Order Guarantee" price reduction.

I just got this, and didnt send them a thing!

I <3 Amazon. Sooooo much! :D

Top Bottom