• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

tomedo

Anyone know when the Steam version will be out in EU? It shows up in coming soon page but when clicked it just gives an error saying "This item is currently unavailable in your region".

benjipwns said:
My Player is completely exploitable too. Last year I had an athletic-base SF, who by my first NBA game was like 51 rated and I still put up a 26/18/15 A+ just because of the way the game is and not doing stupid stuff. I got starting spots with almost all of my players I did last year (except the one who got stuck behind Tim Duncan, play him at Center dammit!) pretty quickly because you can play waaaay above your rating should probably let you.

Last night I got 14/25 from a 44 rated center in the summer league after 9/19 in the first game. Just position yourself properly and you can do lots of things to rack up stats.

I think a lot of people approach it from "I'm the next Jordan and I will be Jordan from the start" when it's more realistic to look at it as if it was Kobe's early career compressed where he worked his way up even if he had all the raw talent to start.

Not that they couldn't design something where you could be a LeBron or whatever, but also be an Eric Montross trying to become Kareem. They went with a leveling up type mode, if you started off amazing, where would you go from there in the mode? Especially with the exploitable flaws still in it. People would just do nothing but chase Wilt's record probably. I mean how many hacked 99 rated people are getting banned already? I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to do that, but it's not the way the mode is designed. It'd be great if they did it another way, but this is VC.

Re-reading this before I post I sound defensive. :lol It's just My Player was what I needed to get back into basketball games last year, the Franchise/Dynasty/Associations were diminishing returns for me after a decade of them. And doing multiple players, all different styles and positions, despite all the flaws last year created my near 200 hours on it.

TL;DR version: It's rough to start but you quickly not only add more skill but figure things out and can very quickly be not just a starter but a star player. I had a PG last year who couldn't shoot very well, but did everything else well enough it somehow convinced the AI to trade all the other Pacer PGs and give me the starting spot. (To the point Brandon Rush was my backup.)

Also looking at the new bar they've given us, assists are worth a ton of teammate points. Oh, and summer league guys aren't necessarily draftees, anyone who's been created tends to turn up on your D-League teams if you go that route.

I put in a ridiculous amount of hours in last year's my player mode. I'm not sure how exactly you'd solve the problem of starting out so low (I suppose put in a defined backstory to kind of frame the narrative would be the easiest way without changing the mechanics). My biggest gripe with my player is that with the way attributes work, it renders specializations useless. I can start out as a 3-point shooter with no hops but a season later, I have enough points to be a 99- dunker. In order to make the experience more compelling, I think 2K should put in a mode where ceilings (initial stats that matter which can't be upgraded at all or upgraded much down the line -physical attributes) are set for your players (keep an iteration of the existing My player for those that want to just dick around) and have defined goals tied to achievements (play 10 years in the league, be part of a championship team, lead a team to a championship, be a stat whore like Ricky Davis). Injuries/rehab should play a bigger part in the game as well. Also, I dunno if this is in game but attribute decay should be included as well.

Takuan said:
I said goddamn.

I'm down for GAF Crew, I need to learn how to play this properly. PSN: Steakjuice
nice. will send invite later.
here's the Ps3 Crew home page.
only two of us still. :/
ToyMachine228 said:
Still undecided on this...Urghh.
have you ever played that game, "Just the tip?"
this is basically you playing that game. man the fuck up and go all in.

johnny_park said:
I want to join the GAF crew.

psn: johnny_park
cool, i've sent crew invites to all ps3 league participants.
except for you, i didn't know know what your psn was.
i'll send invite later today

outsida

The game is really starting to click with me now... You really have to be patient with this game and take your time. It all starts to flow once you do that. Once thing I love about it is I'm using plays at a higher percentage then I ever have and I also like having to use the various hop steps and screens to get open looks.

Red Blaster said:
Lemme get in on that crew action. PSN: R-Signal

Warning, I'm pretty bad tho.
pheeniks is the de facto standard of bad. play him first before judging yourself.
if you beat him you're alright.
if you lose to him? ..lol

viakado said:
pheeniks is the de facto standard of bad. play him first before judging yourself.
if you beat him you're alright.
if you lose to him? ..lol

Of all people, you get to be the one to decide this? Show me your rings or even your wins over me :lol

a176

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Much tougher in the full game, IMO.

man wtf. i hated this shit in 2K10, one of the main reasons i didn't buy that year (amongst the billions of other bugs); but was ecstatic to see it gone in the 2k11 demo, now to only read that the demo plays differently than the full. i just want the ball to go where i want it to go without having to do a freakin combo move like a fighting game. point, pass. why does it have to be harder than that? guess im gonna skip out this year again.

Wickerman said:
Are the Jordan Challenges set to 8-minute quarters?

yeah but it's plenty of time from what I've found. I had Jordans 69 against the cavs by the 3rd quarter. It just requires ball hogging.

EDIT - I figured out my issue with the arrival challenge, at that point in his career Jordan didn't have the greatest jumper yet, started driving almost full time and it was easy.

zero margin said:
EDIT - I figured out my issue with the arrival challenge, at that point in his career Jordan didn't have the greatest jumper yet, started driving almost full time and it was easy.

Yep. I'd imagine quite a few people will get caught up on that.

ecnal

a176 said:
man wtf. i hated this shit in 2K10, one of the main reasons i didn't buy that year (amongst the billions of other bugs); but was ecstatic to see it gone in the 2k11 demo, now to only read that the demo plays differently than the full. i just want the ball to go where i want it to go without having to do a freakin combo move like a fighting game. point, pass. why does it have to be harder than that? guess im gonna skip out this year again.

the ball does go where you want it to go, assuming that the path to the destination and the circumstances are achievable.

the passing changes this year are necessary within the scheme of things. previous 2Ks allowed people to run insanely fucked up offenses based on being able to complete ridiculous passes--constant jump shot passes, passes behind defenders, easy entry passes in to the paint for scores, full court cherry pick passes, etc.

the vastly superior AI in 2K11 stops almost all of the old passing exploits--albeit cherry passes still work occasionally, as do ridiculous jumpshot passes.

the simplest way to think about it is to play the game like you would real basketball; slow it down and read the defense, the defender, and the position in which the offensive player is going to receive the pass. it takes some getting used to, but it's significantly better than any prior 2K.

if you're constantly getting passes stolen, you're not being careful with the ball. it's not like the game has made it impossible to throw a simple pass; they've made it extremely difficult for people to complete bad passes.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This close to picking up the PS3 version. Don't know why, with a new baby I have no time to play anything except Diner Dash :p

bishoptl said:
This close to picking up the PS3 version. Don't know why, with a new baby I have no time to play anything except Diner Dash :p
Do it and join league. Ill make you an offer you can't refuse. And this time it wont be my penis.

charsace

bishoptl said:
1. Buy white rum
2. Put a little in the baby's bottle
3. Profit?

ecnal said:
if you're constantly getting passes stolen, you're not being careful with the ball. it's not like the game has made it impossible to throw a simple pass; they've made it extremely difficult for people to complete bad passes.

sometimes it's feels a little cheap and unrealistic. For instance you're trying to fast break and your pg will stop set his feet and throw a one arm lob pass down court, which of course is picked off by the AI. It even looks wrong as a chest pass on the move would have been the correct thing for your pg to do in that situation. Also your players never slow down, look back or come back to passes which allows a lot of them to be picked off.

I'm not saying it's bullshit, far from it, I like it that you cant just fling the ball all over the court with pinpoint accuracy.

ecnal

i only think it feels cheap and unrealistic because we have been trained to be bad passers through past bball games. there have never been any repercusions for unrealistic passes in the past. the only times passes would get stolen were when really awful decisions were made--like throwing a pass to a guy when a defender is standing right in front of him. if you go back and play 2K10, some of the passes that are completed are unrealistic in every sense, and the defense rarely reacts, making truthfully dangerous and risky passes feel normal.

2K11 reverses this trend. if you really just make a conscious effort to make good passes, you'll be fine.

this seems like 2K8 and missed layups all over again. everyone overreacts and complains, 2K patches, then everyone complains again to go back to the vanilla experience at launch.

I can still throw post-to-wing passes right over defenders' heads (granted, they're facing away from me) which you'll never see in an actual basketball game. Most of the interceptions I throw are because the game chose to do a lead chest pass instead of a direct bounce pass, not because a defender was denying the ball to my teammate and I threw it anyway. I don't want to come down the court and throw it to the mid-range area when my teammate is standing at the 3 point line, so I have to use icon lead passing to force him to stay out there.

outsida

I think it's a mixture of cheap AI and actual realistic gameplay. The thing is the CPU decides when it's going to be cheap and also decides when it will play the realism card. Until you slow down and play extra careful knowing full well the CPU will pull the BS out, whenever it so chooses, you'll just drive yourself crazy because the game play is a bit inconsistent at times.

Just picked the game up. Got it at KMart with a $25 dollar gaming coupon I had from buying Reach there, so it came out to $37 after taxes. I also got another $20 gaming coupon with the purchase. :lol Fuck yea, KMart.

Bison11

friskykillface said:
:D it's coming here Monday, just got the confirmation on goozex

can't wait to play with HaranGODy :lol

A little OT, but just wondering....how long ago did you add 2K11 to your que? I tried to get Skate 3 when it came out, and I am still not up

Frawdder

tomedo said:
...and to answer my own question Steam (eu) version is out now.
Up on the Australian store too, but it's $49.99 compared to $29.99 on the US store. I'm still going to get it, I'm dying to play a basketball game and this one looks hot.

man i suck ass at the game. i tried shot stick timing and real player % and i just can't make a shot. what i don't like is ill call set plays and if its a 3 pointer the dude who is shifting goes WAY out, so by the time he gets the ball either i shoot it from fucking WAY out, or i move up a bit and allow the defense to get on me (making the off the ball screen useless).

and it always seems that when my guys get the ball in the paint or a good open position, they stop, compose, and then can shoot, but it needs to happen faster because its the difference between an open shot and a contested shot. not sure if it's something im doing though :/

bishoptl said:

Congrats on the new baby, my son was just born last friday. Second kid so I know babys just eat sleep and poop for the first month or so, so you should have some time to give this game a go.

RDreamer

FrenchMovieTheme said:
man i suck ass at the game. i tried shot stick timing and real player % and i just can't make a shot. what i don't like is ill call set plays and if its a 3 pointer the dude who is shifting goes WAY out, so by the time he gets the ball either i shoot it from fucking WAY out, or i move up a bit and allow the defense to get on me (making the off the ball screen useless).

and it always seems that when my guys get the ball in the paint or a good open position, they stop, compose, and then can shoot, but it needs to happen faster because its the difference between an open shot and a contested shot. not sure if it's something im doing though :/

I'm kind of in the same boat with these complaints. I'm starting to think the game's way more frustrating to me than fun right now. I may have to try to move down to rookie and see if that works. I just can't get any shot to fall, and the passing is just weird as hell sometimes. And it's hard as hell to get it into the paint at all, and especially hard to drive there.

For what it's worth, I've gotten a lot better in the normal game by spending quite a bit of time in My Player. Being a terrible passer makes you a lot more stingy it turns out, lulz.

bishoptl said:
This close to picking up the PS3 version. Don't know why, with a new baby I have no time to play anything except Diaper Dash :p

Fixed.

diaper-dashLarge.jpg
diaperdash_super.jpg

Congrats! :D

zero margin said:
He's not in the game, yet. Several players were left out.

bummer, i think they are waiting on final rosters to include random rookies, etc.

hyped for the Jordan challenges :D also to unlock the space jams D: and other Jordan shoes.

Bison11 said:
A little OT, but just wondering....how long ago did you add 2K11 to your que? I tried to get Skate 3 when it came out, and I am still not up

i added 2K11 on tuesday morning from the goozex link so i was the first one.
some games are like that, they take forever for someone to put it up for trade. i was in the top 10 (think 4th or 5th) for skate 3 when it came out and it took about 3 months for someone to put it up.
best bet would be to buy it i guess

newsguy

I'm really enjoying it so far but I still haven't figured out how to back people down. It used to simply be holding LT but that doesn't turn the offensive player's back in the paint anymore.

friskykillface said:
bummer, i think they are waiting on final rosters to include random rookies, etc.

hyped for the Jordan challenges :D also to unlock the space jams D: and other Jordan shoes

I think that's right, they were supposed to have an update sometime soon if I heard correctly. The Jordan challenges are awesome.

outsida

newsguy said:
I'm really enjoying it so far but I still haven't figured out how to back people down. It used to simply be holding LT but that doesn't turn the offensive player's back in the paint anymore.
If you're facing your opponent it's RT+LT.. If you catch the ball in the post with your back to the opponent already engaged it's just LT.

The M.O.B

My Player Mode

I went through all the scrimmages and end up with the Nets (Ugh),

It is as painful as it should be. Avery Johnson continues to suck and not trust me in the 4th qtr. I had an "A-" through 3 qtrs with 14 pts on 6-7 shooting and the game was close. I got zero playing time in the 4th and thus my team got blown out after being within 3 points.

I finally got the starting job by the 8th game (At the cost of Harris getting injured, not that he was doing much besides failing at driving the ball) The next game against the Magic, I realize how stupid they made Farmar. First, I tip the ball away from Rashard and Farmar gets it, this causes me to start running down the court, but instead Farmar gets it intercepted by Rashard who pulls up for a Wide-open 3. This causes a big hit on my grade telling me that I let my opponent score (When it was clearly Farmar who caused it)

Then with my team up by 2 with 10 secs left and the shot clock dead. I wanted the ball but the game kept telling me to that it was excessive (BS!) . So Farmar jacks up a 3 instead of running out the clock and misses badly. Dwight grabs the rebound and tosses it to Nelson who is open thanks to Farmar falling after shooting (WTF). Smh

I put it a request for a trade.............but the only team who is showing interest is the Cavs. :(

Top Bottom