• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
mbmonk said:
I saw this argument come up about the GAF league and wouldn't this give the top tier teams even more of an advantage? If the user aspect is taken out of the equation then it just boils down to rating and shot selection would it not? Then it makes it that much harder for the toilet bowl teams to compete with the elite... maybe? I, of course, could be completely wrong :D

EDIT: Sign me up for the GAF crew please. PSN is same as my GAF. :D

Spacing, play calls, defense, and all other aspects are still in play. Skill would still be involved. The only thing that would change would be that they get rid of the timing aspect of the shooting. The other variables (player's rating, position of shot, defensive positioning) would still come in to play.

ecnal

mbmonk said:
I saw this argument come up about the GAF league and wouldn't this give the top tier teams even more of an advantage? If the user aspect is taken out of the equation then it just boils down to rating and shot selection would it not? Then it makes it that much harder for the toilet bowl teams to compete with the elite... maybe? I, of course, could be completely wrong :D

EDIT: Sign me up for the GAF crew please. PSN is same as my GAF. :D

ya, that's basically the main issue--people who own players that have good shooting ratings + tendencies will have a massive advantage and should win the vast majority of the time, even if they're not the better player.

pheenix would get out of the first round if we used real shooting %, and that would be a sad, sad day.

personally though, i'd be interested in running a test league that used real %, just to see how much it alters gameplay. if the best players still won, i would probably be in favor of it because it drastically eliminates broken/exploitable elements.

mbmonk

SephCast said:
Spacing, play calls, defense, and all other aspects are still in play. Skill would still be involved. The only thing that would change would be that they get rid of the timing aspect of the shooting. The other variables (player's rating, position of shot, defensive positioning) would still come in to play.

I agree. I was speaking of shooting only in that post. I worded it poorly. Sorry about that.

ecnal

Smokey said:
is this an attempted shot and slander of my name?

it's kind of hazy, but i think if you use some discretion, you'll be able to see through his foggy train of thought.

This is impressive but it's been a long time since I really tried to follow basketball. Needless to say, this is considerably more complex than any rendition of the sport I've put much time into previously (I did have ESPN Basketball aka NBA 2K4, but didn't play it a huge amount despite finding it a very good game).

I'm on the other side of the coin I see in every football / soccer thread, wherein an American player won't be all that familiar with the game and is suffering as a result. That's me with NBA 2K11. :lol I just about get the defence but when attacking with the ball I find myself crowded out in short order. Any moves in particular I should be looking at to bamboozle and lose the defending players?

A few things:

1) The announcers called Will Bynum "Andrew Bynum" several times last night. :/
2) During the starting line-ups Gasol's name was pronounced as some strange wookie garble. ?
3) They said KD was scoreless in the quarter, yet when I drove in for a dunk they're like "wow, he has 14 points this quarter already!" :lol :lol

Wow

71428807.jpg

PC mod

RJNavarrete said:
Very nice.

One more point, and this is a HUGE gripe:

You can edit Attributes as you wish in Association mode. How stupid is that? :lol :lol :lol

Pretty sure you could always do that. I remember doing it in 2k9.

Bread

Banned
RJNavarrete said:
You can edit Attributes as you wish in Association mode. How stupid is that? :lol :lol :lol
Not that stupid, nor that huge. Why is it a bad thing to have the option to change attributes in association?

RDreamer

Just had an epic game against the Bobcats as my Bucks in Association. I won by 2. Early on they were killing me with 3s somehow, and I couldn't get Bogut to hit anything. I'm still not sure why nothing was going down. At one point he was 2 for 11 and then 2 for 7 from the free throw line. Then late in the game I got my free throws with him down and just kept having them fowl him. Then on the start of my run against them Jennings was injured. Salmons got hot and nailed a 3 to put me up, and Jackson got fouled on a dunk, but missed the free throw that would have put them down 1. I'm really not sure why they didn't foul me after that. Must have been a bug or something. Too bad because that would have made it a bit more epic. Now I have to play with just Ben Gordon and Salmons for 1 to 2 weeks while Jennings heals :(

Amory

I too just had my first "epic" game, against Memphis. I play the Celtics, so it shouldn't have been as much of a game as it was, but it was close throughout, came down to the wire, and I only won by two. OJ Mayo is a beast in this game, too...

It feels like I'm finally starting to understand the strategy of the game. I'm learning how to work the ball inside, when to shoot a 3, when/how to go for a steal and avoid fouling, which player should be taking the shot in which situation, and especially, how to pass effectively without turning the ball over too much. Everything came together and I sunk a game winner with Pierce. Too bad time didn't run out during the play, or I wouldve gotten the trophy :(

Really is an incredible feeling though. I actually felt the same adrenaline playing the game that I do when the real Celtics are in a close game.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
RJNavarrete said:
Very nice.

I think they put that edit feature in there so you can adjust the skill level of players throughout the year so that it mirrors real life instead of downloading the updated rosters/stats stuff.
See if a bunch of trades happen in your association and you were able to insert the downloaded rosters into association then your trades would all be gone. But the downloads give you updated ratings for players.

Make sense?

If it doesn't I blame Percocet. :D

RDreamer

Any tips for how I should be using Antawn Jamison? I traded for him, but haven't figured out too much about his game except that he can't dribble worth a shit.

Zeliard

Man I'm still woeful at isomotion. I remember back with NBA 2K7 it felt perfect, but it hasn't been comfortable ever since. Probably doesn't help that I play using a sideline/press camera rather than 2K.

mbmonk

Just wanted to give one more big thanks to RS4, Charsace, and Ecal.

I played an unranked online game and just worked on the mid range game with Wall. The other player, typical Heat user, disconnected early in the 4th the score was 54 - 17. Wall was player of the half ( didn't get to see player of the game because of a plug pull). 54 points is by far the most I have ever scored. Being completely up front my opponent was terrible, but the point of the game wasn't to win. It was just working on my game.

The mid range really had him stressed. I hit a couple of jumpers and then he started over reacting (jumping and over persuing) and that opened up Wall to the basket. Also he would bring a double team but it was easy to make him pay for it.

It was just one game; against a terrible opponent but things developed much like many of you said it would. So it's nice to know I am on the right track.

Thanks for the help.

Duki

Banned
what the fuck im terrible at this game

how the fuck do you do anything

my offense is dishing it to amare and mashing square r2 and l2 and hoping something happens

how i play

charsace

Zeliard said:
Man I'm still woeful at isomotion. I remember back with NBA 2K7 it felt perfect, but it hasn't been comfortable ever since. Probably doesn't help that I play using a sideline/press camera rather than 2K.
You can break people with the basic crossover(pushing direction back to the non ball hand without holding L) and speed changing with the stick. practice that and then move into the L trigger moves.

mbmonk said:
Just wanted to give one more big thanks to RS4, Charsace, and Ecal.

I played an unranked online game and just worked on the mid range game with Wall. The other player, typical Heat user, disconnected early in the 4th the score was 54 - 17. Wall was player of the half ( didn't get to see player of the game because of a plug pull). 54 points is by far the most I have ever scored. Being completely up front my opponent was terrible, but the point of the game wasn't to win. It was just working on my game.

The mid range really had him stressed. I hit a couple of jumpers and then he started over reacting (jumping and over persuing) and that opened up Wall to the basket. Also he would bring a double team but it was easy to make him pay for it.

It was just one game; against a terrible opponent but things developed much like many of you said it would. So it's nice to know I am on the right track.

Thanks for the help.
Midrange shooting is actually important this year. The court was made bigger, so stepping back for 3 isn't as easy as it used to be. 2k also made it harder to hit 3's this year.

Duki said:
what the fuck im terrible at this game

how the fuck do you do anything

my offense is dishing it to amare and mashing square r2 and l2 and hoping something happens

how i play
You need to take your time this year. Work on moving the ball around the perimeter and not throwing cross court passes. Practice moving a little bit to shift the defense and then passing the ball. This wasn't really possible in the previous game, but in 2k11 it works.

qcf x2

I can't shoot for shit with Stephen Curry. WTF? In practice I nail everything (he has a late release), in game he bricks everything, wide open or not! I drain 3s with Rudy Gay like he's Reggie Miller (I'm playing Association so they're on the same team). Help, please!

I am pretty adjusted to everything else (passing took a while), but is there any way to turn off the cinematics? Takes too long to play when you can't skip the Substitution screens. Can you turn off the quarter/half reports?

Zeliard

charsace said:
You can break people with the basic crossover(pushing direction back to the non ball hand without holding L) and speed changing with the stick. practice that and then move into the L trigger moves.

That's pretty much the only thing I'm able to do. :lol

My biggest isomotion-related issue is probably doing spins. I can never get them off when I actually want to, and timing is key.

I do really like how you can do a lot with just your basic crosses and stepbacks and such, though. Since the game seems much better this time about things like player balance and momentum, you're better able to gauge which direction the guy guarding you is headed and juke him accordingly.

ecnal

qcf x2 said:
I can't shoot for shit with Stephen Curry. WTF? In practice I nail everything (he has a late release), in game he bricks everything, wide open or not! I drain 3s with Rudy Gay like he's Reggie Miller (I'm playing Association so they're on the same team). Help, please!

I am pretty adjusted to everything else (passing took a while), but is there any way to turn off the cinematics? Takes too long to play when you can't skip the Substitution screens. Can you turn off the quarter/half reports?

play to curry's tendencies--you can view that in game or out of game under the roster section.

you'll see which spots on the court he has a higher % to make shots from, and what kind of situations he likes to take shots from (iso, off the dribble, off screens, spot up, etc).

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
RJNavarrete said:
Very nice.

You've been able to do that for years. I turned Sean May into a God.

I finally got the game!*

*But I suck :lol Its going to take me a while to get up to speed again. I just went through My Player mode thinking that was going to be a nice refresher course but then I got matched up against John Wall and gave up the cheeks. I love all the additions they've made this year. I always sink tons of time into Association and I couldn't be happier with what they've managed to do with it (at least so far, I've barely played at all).

Gonna go through the thread for a while and see if I can actually figure out how to play the game - hate shitty manuals.

RDreamer

DY_nasty said:
Gonna go through the thread for a while and see if I can actually figure out how to play the game - hate shitty manuals.

There is a full, really helpful manual online somewhere. It should be here but I can't get it to show up now. Maybe someone else can find it.

Also, goddamn this game's fun when you get the sliders and difficulty right so that you can win, but you've gotta work a bit for it, but you're not getting beat on in what seems like an unfair way. I just had an outstanding game beating the Blazers pretty well with my Bucks even with Jennings out. The crowd going wild after I hit 2 threes in a row with Salmons was just awesome.

LukeSmith

qcf x2 said:

Total opposite experience for me: I am lights out with Curry and Monta Ellis but can't work David Lee's jumper to save my life

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Red Blaster said:
Extended manual here.

How is Association btw? Read on Operation Sports there's some iffy trade logic as well as teams having unusually terrible road records (stuff like only 2 teams having +.500 road records for the season).
I can't speak on everything, but Player Finder and Trade Finder is awesome. Fantasy draft contracts aren't as bad as before. Its much easier to navigate everything - and thats what makes me happiest after that clusterfuck last year. Weird things now is that they now count prospects as role players... shortens rotations a bit.

I like it a lot, but I can't really say too much until I run through a couple of seasons. From what I can tell, its a lot better than 2k10.

qcf x2

ecnal said:
play to curry's tendencies--you can view that in game or out of game under the roster section.

you'll see which spots on the court he has a higher % to make shots from, and what kind of situations he likes to take shots from (iso, off the dribble, off screens, spot up, etc).

I've done that. :( Have you tried using him? He drains everything in Practice and shoots like 30% in game, wide open or not.

As for Association Mode, it's alright. Really ugly main screen though (why use in game faces? They're horrible and take forever to load!). The CPU will try to jip you on trades, but they end up with dumb rosters anyway.

qcf x2

LukeSmith said:
Total opposite experience for me: I am lights out with Curry and Monta Ellis but can't work David Lee's jumper to save my life

Do you flick the stick(sounds wrong)? I have to hold the shot extra long to have a chance.

RS4-

DY_nasty said:
I can't speak on everything, but Player Finder and Trade Finder is awesome. Fantasy draft contracts aren't as bad as before. Its much easier to navigate everything - and thats what makes me happiest after that clusterfuck last year. Weird things now is that they now count prospects as role players... shortens rotations a bit.

I like it a lot, but I can't really say too much until I run through a couple of seasons. From what I can tell, its a lot better than 2k10.

Yeah, if you don't feel like trying to land someone you want, the finder is pretty good when it comes to getting rid of players you want as bait.

I have to really start looking at tendencies again so I can actually start hitting threes.

legend166

Question: Is this like FIFA where you're only allowed one create-a-player per Xbox profile?

Because that crap is the most annoying thing in existence.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
qcf x2 said:
Do you flick the stick(sounds wrong)? I have to hold the shot extra long to have a chance.

Go into the practice mode and just shoot around with Curry. Once you get it you will love him. DEADLY!!

pilonv1

legend166 said:
Question: Is this like FIFA where you're only allowed one create-a-player per Xbox profile?

Because that crap is the most annoying thing in existence.

I haven't tried it this year but I had two players ur one profile last year. Just had to load the right one to use.

ecnal

qcf x2 said:
I've done that. :( Have you tried using him? He drains everything in Practice and shoots like 30% in game, wide open or not.

curry is about as money of a shooter as there is in 2k11.

i've been trying to trade for him in the gaf league since day 1. :lol

Love the VIP Viewer in the features menu, gives you offensive and defensive scouting reports of your play. Glad to see I'm a tough on-ball defender who rarely fouls.

Zep

Banned
Shadowing mod out for the PC version...Looks pretty damn good.

And I made some small alterations to the 6ers:

Holliday
Ray Allen
Durant
Dirk
Hibbert

Not bad for no overriding! I think I can hang now.

smik

Ok i just wanna express my absolute love for this game.

this "is" the best sports game i have ever played, ever. the amount of little things that they have implemented in this game is mind boggling.

The LAKERS play well, just like the LAKERS. executing the triangle offense and trying to get deep options in the post is a thing of beauty.
Give the Ball to Kobe/Gasol (iso 1v1) in the post and its said and done. they even implemented the Lamar Odom Iso play at the top of the 3pt line which is
always a great option to use against less versatile opposition bigs.

The SUNS play a very up tempo game just like they really do, Steve Nash will simply embarrass you off the dribble sometimes leaving team mates open
from help defense. suns love pushing the ball up for easy transition baskets and watch for the corner 3's.

The CELTICS OMG, Ray Allen running off back screens and curl screen is a great sight to see, the team has a great help defense system and they love
playing off Rajon or Paul Pierce. Celtics are all about D but the aging forwards (Garnet/Oneal) have trouble keeping up with the faster and younger Bigs.

any notice any other little quirks that impress you?

OK GAF im gonna say it, GOTY!

is it to early...

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
smik said:

I completely agree that this is the best sports game I've ever played. There is so much to do and everything stays fresh. I used to get tired of 2k because all I'd play is the association. The other modes were never really that good. Now, the Jordan challenges are amazing, My Player is superb, and just the overall gameplay is incredibly refined. I used to play 2k without running plays, bumbling through isomotion. Now they've made playcalling so much better, isomotion so much better, and teammate AI is amazing.

I love this game.

I echo the sentiments of the last two posters; however, I find it a little quirky that Steve Nash is the leading scorer at 29 ppg in my Association. Other than that, this game has been fantastic.

smik said:

this "is" the best sports game i have ever played, ever. the amount of little things that they have implemented in this game is mind boggling.

any notice any other little quirks that impress you?
Yeah, I played a quick game on Sunday. And in the game, they talked about it being a Sunday afternoon game. Cool little touch.

The M.O.B

My Player is far from superb, it is still too inconsistent. The grading system misses a lot of things and messes up a lot of other things .

The fact that my guy can miss a wide open lay up drives me up the wall. And the Drills should be available every off day your team has, not every 5 games or whatever. I have become the #1 option on my team despite only having an OVR of 52 :/. Monte Ellis is somehow leading the league in scoring with 29ppg, and Durant isn't even top 5....Lets not forget the after game interviews that don't even feel like they affect the game. The PG play sucks too, i got way too many examples of that.

The commentary sucks too, how many times do they have to talk about the Ariza for Artest tradeoff, just EVERY game at some point.......the good thing is that they actually say my name "Here comes Forte" that was nice.

Just my rant :(

I am hoping whatever they do next year, includes greatly revamping my player mode.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
The M.O.B said:
My Player is far from superb, it is still too inconsistent. The grading system misses a lot of things and messes up a lot of other things .

The fact that my guy can miss a wide open lay up drives me up the wall. And the Drills should be available every off day your team has, not every 5 games or whatever. I have become the #1 option on my team despite only having an OVR of 52 :/. Oh and the stats around the league are not adjusted to the qtr length you play on. No way am I doing 12 minute quarters since I can get an A+ just using 5 min ones. So I can never get player of the month or rookie of the month since other players are going 40 min a game while im doin 20 mpg. This is why Monte Ellis is somehow leading the league in scoring with 29ppg, and Durant isn't even top 5....Lets not forget the after game interviews that don't even feel like they affect the game. The PG play sucks too, i got way too many examples of that.

Just my rant :(

I am hoping whatever they do next year, includes greatly revamping my player mode.

There was an option to change the length of the simmed games in last years game. I'm sure it's there somewhere.

Top Bottom