• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
benjipwns said:
Keep us posted on when you go down with a horrific season ending injury.

I'm a 6'7 PF playing behind Blake. At least I got drafted in the 1st round. Matt Bonner probably took my spot.

I love the CPU offense in this game. It runs some really nice plays and makes some really nice passes. It's actually fun to play the AI in this game which is rare for me in sports titles where its normally all about human versus human.

smik

Smokey said:
I have no problem hitting shots online, and there's nothing wrong with FTs online either feels like offline to me.

Practice mode.

don't be so naive smokey.

just because "you" didn't experience this problem doesn't mean it doesn't

I love NBA2k11 a whole lot its the best NBA game i have ever played, but it doesnt blindside me on this issue,
i know how to release my shots and free throws perfectly offline but i run into issues when im playing multiplayer.

playing against overseas opponents of course theres going to be latency when its p2p, but they way in which 2k11 handles it is very unpractical.
i dont get this problem when i play againts someone locally.

before i begin the ranked match i check my players list to see where there from before i even begin.

SamuraiX-

Man, 2K didn't know how to do player contracts worth shit. I'm having to go through and update every one of my players' contracts. :lol

Eh, nvm. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Just for a couple of the rookies it was weird.

DCX

DCX
jobber said:
My Player was drafted by the Spurs then traded to the Clippers -_-
I got drafted by the Magic first round. Cavs and Jazz are looking to acquire me :/ I'd start for the Cavs though, so maybe i should ask for a trade.

DCX

Smokey

smik said:

I love NBA2k11 a whole lot its the best NBA game i have ever played, but it doesnt blindside me on this issue,
i know how to release my shots and free throws perfectly offline but i run into issues when im playing multiplayer.

playing against overseas opponents of course theres going to be latency when its p2p, but they way in which 2k11 handles it is very unpractical.

before i begin the ranked match i check my players list to see where there from before i even begin.

I'm not being naive. In my experience (against other 2kers and Gaf-2k), my games have been just about lag free. Overseas yeah there will be an issue and I haven't played 2k11 against anybody overseas so I can't speak on that.

charsace

AI can still "fix" it so that you will lose in this game. Was on a 15-1 winning record in my player. Got hurt in the 17th game and decided to play through it only to get torched by Chris Paul for 20 pts on 70% shooting in 5min quarters. Love how this 2 day only injury happened right before my CP3 matchup. Love how it was caused by me running to defend the break.

Awesome 2k.

Birdman02

DCX said:
I got drafted by the Magic first round. Cavs and Jazz are looking to acquire me :/ I'd start for the Cavs though, so maybe i should ask for a trade.

DCX

My pass first PG was drafted by the Heat (my most hated team for obvious reasons), and I thought it'd be a decent fit. Only problem is Lebron's punk ass won't pass me the ball, so I'm having trouble reaching my assists goals.

I played 10 minutes in my 1st game....lost by 38 to the Celtics. Games 2 was a little better, but still lost by 10, and I got 0 minutes in the 4th qtr. 0-2 start for mwo!:D

I'm probably gonna request a trade pretty soon....I just wish there was a way I could injure some of my teammates first. :lol

ecnal

smik said:

there's really nothing to complain about. it's a p2p environment, there's always going to be an element of lag involved.

release your shots and fts earlier, problem solved.

i've played people 5K miles away and still shot a good %, so there's no reason that you can't. shit, pilonv1 and i (australia to california) played multiple games in 2K10--a far worse online experience than 2K11--and you could still figure out the releases based on latency.

smokey and i played earlier and there was literally no lag. i've had this same experience 9/10 times in 2K11.

charsace said:
AI can still "fix" it so that you will lose in this game. Was on a 15-1 winning record in my player. Got hurt in the 17th game and decided to play through it only to get torched by Chris Paul for 20 pts on 70% shooting in 5min quarters. Love how this 2 day only injury happened right before my CP3 matchup. Love how it was caused by me running to defend the break.

Awesome 2k.

right

it's NEVER your fault

ecnal

charsace said:

Awesome 2k.

i thought you were busy blowing peoples brains out by crossing them, turning them sideways, and nailing a buttery smooth step back jumper in their face?

guess you're actually just getting roasted by CPU, which makes much more sense.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Stoney Mason said:
What quarter length are you guys playing in the association?

I want to play with long enough quarters to get realistic stats for my team when I play their games but I think 12 minute quarters would produce too high a stat output.

Thx in advance.

I'm using 10 minute quarters and getting really nice stat lines for my team. Also using 10 minutes for the simmed games too. The balance seems to be the best I've had in a NBA game before. Kobe is the scoring leader with 30 pts a game and when I played against the Lakers he had 29 on me. Pretty much perfect. I've got Bogut averaging 22 pts and 10 reb, Jennings is getting 12 pts and 10 asts and Maggette is getting 15 pts and 6 reb.

This is by far the most fun I have ever had with a NBA game. And I think the last time I have enjoyed an association mode as much as this was 2k1 or 2k2. Game is near perfect.

I'm starting to get used to the shooting mechanics and my offense is starting to get really fun. Now if only I could figure out the post game.

Stoney Mason said:
I love the CPU offense in this game. It runs some really nice plays and makes some really nice passes. It's actually fun to play the AI in this game which is rare for me in sports titles where its normally all about human versus human.

Agreed. I was really impressed with how Durant played against me. He abused me, it was incredible. He took smart shots, used screens and ball fakes. There were times where it felt and looked like I was playing against a really good human controlled team.

charsace

ecnal said:
i thought you were busy blowing peoples brains out by crossing them, turning them sideways, and nailing a buttery smooth step back jumper in their face?

guess you're actually just getting roasted by CPU, which makes much more sense.
Relax I only lost the game by 3 points. And that is mainly because of VInce Carter playing like the real VC. He passes up open 3s, taking away my assists in the process, to do a double cross, spin, run across the lane, and spin into a fading jumper. I kid you not. This is what cpu VC does. He doesn't catch and shoot. He must put the ball on the floor before taking a shot.

Howard was neutered hard in this year's game. His close range shot is in the 60's and inside scoring isn't the highest in the game like it should be If 2k uses stats to determine ratings.

SlickVic

My Player mode is starting to grow on me now that my dude got called up to the NBA. I requested a trade and the following game the Philly crowd starts booing and chanting "Trade Him" whenever I touched the ball. :lol Liking these little touches.

erragal

Truelize said:
I'm using 10 minute quarters and getting really nice stat lines for my team. Also using 10 minutes for the simmed games too. The balance seems to be the best I've had in a NBA game before. Kobe is the scoring leader with 30 pts a game and when I played against the Lakers he had 29 on me. Pretty much perfect. I've got Bogut averaging 22 pts and 10 reb, Jennings is getting 12 pts and 10 asts and Maggette is getting 15 pts and 6 reb.

This is by far the most fun I have ever had with a NBA game. And I think the last time I have enjoyed an association mode as much as this was 2k1 or 2k2. Game is near perfect.

I'm starting to get used to the shooting mechanics and my offense is starting to get really fun. Now if only I could figure out the post game.

Have to echo these points. I use the same settings (On superstar/simulation difficulty) and find myself getting excellent stats and challenging games. The only flaw is that the MPG will never match up properly with real life, but you eventually overlook it.

If you played NBA2k10 last year the post game has barely changed at all. The one thing that is more challenging is making a proper post entry pass, much like in the NBA if you have a bad angle it's very likely to get stolen.

Side note: I have a dilemma in my franchise. I'm playing as the Bucks and trying to offload Magette, and the LAC will do a Maggette, CDR, Gooden and 2012 1st round pick for Gordon, Gomes, Rasaul Butler. I want to do the trade but it feels a little dirty because there's no way they would actually give up Gordon.

It's even more ridiculous because Gooden/Maggette used to play there. Should I do it anyway, since it's the Clippers and who cares about them?

Those freaking Jordan Challenges are driving me nuts. Last night i almost got the Shrug challenge on the first try. Got the 6 three pointers and the 35 points in the first half but then Clyde Drexler scored his 20th points 30 seconds before the game was over and now i can't get even close to finishing the challenge.

And getting rebounds on those others challenges is hard too. Longley always takes them away from Jordan.

Otherwise the game is great. All those classic teams take up all my time for now.

Nightz

Benjamin1981 said:
Those freaking Jordan Challenges are driving me nuts. Last night i almost got the Shrug challenge on the first try. Got the 6 three pointers and the 35 points in the first half but then Clyde Drexler scored his 20th points 30 seconds before the game was over and now i can't get even close to finishing the challenge.

And getting rebounds on those others challenges is hard too. Longley always takes them away from Jordan.

Otherwise the game is great. All those classic teams take up all my time for now.
I would suggest creating saves when you know you're close to accomplishing the goal. For the Shug challenge, I created a save right at half time once I got my 35 and 6 3-pointers. Once I got to the beginning of the 4th, I still had Clyde in check so I created another save just in case he went nuts in the 4th. I ended up not needing my saves but at least I wouldn't have had to start all over in case I failed.

I only have the 1991 Finals to complete!

sdornan

Benjamin1981 said:

Yeah, I kind of gave up on the Jordan challenges. They force you to mostly just ball-hog with Jordan and ignore everyone else on the team. Strict objectives don't really work for basketball, which is a free-flowing game that rewards you for recognizing opportunities and making adjustments on the fly.

They definitely need to patch Jordan challenges to 10 min quarters, IMO. I love the challenges, but I hate playing ball hog especially because I feel that I'm severely underutilizing Pippen and the sniper PGs those Bulls team had. I understand that its the "Jordan Challenges," but those Bulls teams dominated as a unit, not solely because Mike was God in uniform (though that certainly helped :lol )

What say yous guys?

TheFatOne

Played a quick game with my brother. he was the 96 Bulls. Is something wrong with stealing in this game? He stole the ball from me every time I tried to drive to the basket. It got so bad that I could barely get passed half court with Magic. In the first half he had like 30 steals.

Benjamin1981 said:

I'm only having a problem with the fathers day one and the 9 rebounds. I take control and get a couple then nothing, I let the AI use him and he gets a couple then nothing. Pulling Rodman seems to be a must.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
erragal said:
Have to echo these points. I use the same settings (On superstar/simulation difficulty) and find myself getting excellent stats and challenging games. The only flaw is that the MPG will never match up properly with real life, but you eventually overlook it.

Side note: I have a dilemma in my franchise. I'm playing as the Bucks and trying to offload Magette, and the LAC will do a Maggette, CDR, Gooden and 2012 1st round pick for Gordon, Gomes, Rasaul Butler. I want to do the trade but it feels a little dirty because there's no way they would actually give up Gordon.

It's even more ridiculous because Gooden/Maggette used to play there. Should I do it anyway, since it's the Clippers and who cares about them?

The minutes per game will balance out if you set the simmed game length to the same game length you are using and then turn the fatigue effect slider for the cpu to low 40s.

I'm never getting rid of Maggette. He is a stud. Good luck with that trade.

Bison11

I really really like the Jordan Challenges. I did the Arival, the 69 pts against CLE (i cried a little as a Cavs fan), andd I got the Dominique one on my first try.

It was a little hard though because I was talking to my friend as I was playing. He had trouble with the Nique one so I had to rub it in a little. Gotta get back to My Player.

erragal

Truelize said:
The minutes per game will balance out if you set the simmed game length to the same game length you are using and then turn the fatigue effect slider for the cpu to low 40s.

Thanks for the tip on the fatigue effect slider, that should help a bit.

I like Maggette for one or two seasons, but it's hard not to think longterm when you're playing Association. Gotta love those young guys!

RDreamer

Truelize said:

Yeah, Maggette's been valuable in my Association too. Don't think I'd want to trade him. I did do a bit of trading to begin with, though. I signed Stackhouse then traded him with Redd to the Pistons for Ben Gordon and Hamilton. Then I traded Hamilton over to the Cavs for Antawn Jamison. So I have Bogut, Jamison, Maggette, Salmons, and Jennings starting with Gordon playing about the same amount of time per game as Salmons but off the bench.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
RDreamer said:
Yeah, Maggette's been valuable in my Association too. Don't think I'd want to trade him. I did do a bit of trading to begin with, though. I signed Stackhouse then traded him with Redd to the Pistons for Ben Gordon and Hamilton. Then I traded Hamilton over to the Cavs for Antawn Jamison. So I have Bogut, Jamison, Maggette, Salmons, and Jennings starting with Gordon playing about the same amount of time per game as Salmons but off the bench.

Wow that's quite the team. I haven't made a single trade or signing yet. I started my association with the Bucks because it's the team I have in the league. Wanted to get to know the personal better. Therefore I haven't made any deals that would effect my lineup at all.
It's been pretty good so far. Redd even got a high ankle sprain and missed a month.

* It's so real *

Just got the game. Haven't played an NBA game in years. I put the difficulty on Rookie and started a season with the Trailblazers but am curious where is the best place to do training or get tutorials with all the passing and stick usage.

erragal

RDreamer said:

Nice team for sure, especially with Ben Gordon coming off the bench as a second-team scorer. I'm planning on developing Ilyasova and playing him at the PF/SF a lot so I can put 4 shooters on the floor with Bogut that can also play decent defense/rebound. Also, I like Sanders as Boguts' backup since he can play similarly on defense.

RDreamer

Truelize said:
Wow that's quite the team. I haven't made a single trade or signing yet. I started my association with the Bucks because it's the team I have in the league. Wanted to get to know the personal better. Therefore I haven't made any deals that would effect my lineup at all.
It's been pretty good so far. Redd even got a high ankle sprain and missed a month.

* It's so real *

Hahaha. Thanks for confirming my reason for trading Redd. I knew he'd get hurt somewhere in there, so I figured I should trade him for something. Also during the trade with the Cavs we switched first round 2011 draft picks. I'm sure I'll do better than them this year, so that's not a bad deal.

M_A_C

Gerald Preston said:
How is this on PC? Friend bought it at retail and I was planning to get it off steam to play with him but can't seem to find any reviews.

It's awesome. 1080p 60fps looks sweet.

flyinpiranha said:
Just got the game. Haven't played an NBA game in years. I put the difficulty on Rookie and started a season with the Trailblazers but am curious where is the best place to do training or get tutorials with all the passing and stick usage.

Practice mode? :lol

Nabs

Gerald Preston said:
Thanks. The PC version is kinda flying under the radar and I was worried it might be broken in some way.

Wait. The game is good, really good, but online is a mess. They say you both have to run the benchmark in order to play online with your normal settings, but I don't know if thats the case because I don't have anyone to test it with. When I play a random game it reverts to ultra-low settings and runs at 15fps.

Do yourself a favor and read up on the game and it's problems.

Gerald Preston

Neo Member
Nabs said:
Wait. The game is good, really good, but online is a mess. They say you both have to run the benchmark in order to play online with your normal settings, but I don't know if thats the case because I don't have anyone to test it with. When I play a random game it reverts to ultra-low settings and runs at 15fps.

Do yourself a favor and read up on the game and it's problems.

Damn, ok. What worried me about the pc copy was that 2k wouldn't support it since it doesn't seem to be a high priority release. Hope I'm wrong but thanks for the info I'm gonna see what the online status is.

Finally got the Shrug Challenge. But is was a pain in the ass. I saved my game with score tied at 78-78 with 2 minutes left. Then i loaded the save but i could not control any of the players on the Bulls team. Tried loading again and again but it was always the same issue. Then i just let the CPU play out the game. Took me six tries for the Bulls to win and finally get the challenge.

RS4-

Playing with the Raps in Association @ HOF, pretty damn good provided that you have the right set of sliders. I have to do something about my 3s though, even at 45-55 on the slider, the shots aren't dropping.

- Traded Evans and a pick to the Pistons for Maxiell + pick.
- After a few games with Calderon at the point and his awful shot release in the game, I shipped him off to the Bucks with another pick for Ridnour + pick...and Luke's shot release isn't any better :lol
- Traded Kleiza + pick to the Magic for Pietrus + pick as well.

Starting 5:
Jack
Barbosa
Pietrus
Maxiell
Bargnani

Bench:
Ridnour
Johnson
Weems
DeRozan
Davis
Wright
Dorsey

The team is athletic as hell with Wright, Weems and DeRozan being able to get to the paint whenever they want. The trade for Maxiell is an upgrade over Evans; Ridnour is better defender while still maintaining a great shot that Jose possessed; Pietrus was cheaper (even if slightly older) and a better defender than Kleiza.

Smokey

For those in the Xbox 360 league and don't check the league thread for whatever reason, I've posted info about the tournament. Want this to start by Wed Oct 13, so signup. 16 spots max

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23783220&postcount=280.

I have created the tournament for the league. It's limited to 16 players. I've created the league on All Star using heavily tweaked Simulation sliders. The tourny can be a testing ground to see if we should roll with these 'custom' Simulation sliders or not for the league.

Like I said it's 16 players, once the 16 is filled I'll send out invites with the password. This is for the $25 gift card to Gamestop. Same squad as for the league.

Also each round is best of 5, finals best of 7. Would like this to start this Wednesday, Oct 13th.

1. Smokey
2. ecnal
3. sanjuro
4. dark faze
5. cb3
6. lukesmith

zero margin said:
Practice mode? :lol

Ha, yeah ... found it. It just started right into the Bulls/Lakers thing which was cool but I had no idea what I was doing or if I accidentally pushed a button to send me there ... going to be baby steps for sure.

SlickVic

liger05 said:
How long generally will it take to get to the NBA with 'my player' mode?

Depends how good you are and figuring out how the grading scale works. When I started I was getting D/D+'s in the Summer League so I had to go to the D League. While there, I bumped up my mid-range/shooting in traffic stats so my guy went from a scrub who could barely shoot to a 10+ points/game scorer. Luxury of having a good mid-range stat is even if the shot doesn't go in, you'll often get a grade bump provided it doesn't get blocked. On defense, boxing out your man (I'm a SF) was pretty key since that was easy points for grading.

About 15 or so D League games in (that seems long but in 5 minute quarters and substitutions, it ends up being a lot shorter than a typical 2K game), I had a 20 point game was called up to the NBA. I'm now averaging about 15 pts/game as the starting 3 for the Lakers.

Top Bottom